• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Generic Trade Questions

Ninjaneer80

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation-Village Atalaya-Towers
Hello everyone, I am starting to position myself to get a couple of 3 bedroom NON Wyndham timeshares that I eventually want to use in the PIC program......... but before I do, I plan on getting the couple of locations and use them in RCI for a couple of years before I actually enroll in PIC.

The question I have, how exactly does RCI work ? I understand the basic I deposit my timeshare and get points or weeks for some where else ? This is the part that is vague to me. Lets say I end up buying the 2 properties listed below. How do I find out what they are worth or trader power ? That is the part that is a mystery to me.
I don't ever plan on staying at either of the 2 below. Do I have to wait till someone has booked them, then I get trade power to use some where else ? How do i figure out what the trade power is before I get involved into buying into the timeshare ??

My goal is to be able to stay in locations in Europe.

Here are a couple of properties I am looking at buying off someone

https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/resortDetails?resortCode=0493
fixed weeks are from 10-May to 17-May

https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/resortDetails?resortCode=1322
Fixed week for 2019 Thanksgiving week

Thank you in advanced for any replies

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If they are in points, they are automatically deposited and you can use the points the year before your week (if MF is paid) through two years after. You would need to remove from points prior to using in PIC.

If they are in weeks, you would need to make a reservation after paying the MF, then deposit it in RCI. Once RCI verifies the reservation with the resort, you will get a credit in your account for the week denominated in trading power units (TPUs). You may then exchange through RCI for a week where you want to go so long as you have a week on deposit with that many TPUs or higher. You will retain the excess TPUs as credit you can use later for other exchanges. There is also the option of combining deposits to get a higher value of needed.

That week at Atalaya looks like it gets 23 TPUs, which is fair. The other looks like 26, but in 2019 would be on the 11th not the 10th. The credit you get declines the sooner it is to the week, so it would only get you 23 TPUs right now.

Another option to consider is a 4 BR week at Summit at Massanutten, that's been a good trader for me with a MF about $850 or so every year and the management company has typically run a special program that gives you an extra week from an earlier bulk deposit they had made with RCI that has a few months left on its life of you pay your MF early. You see a fair number of these on the resale market essentially for free. I don't get as many TPUs with it on its own, but the extra ones make up for it. A 4 BR PIC gets the same number of Wyndham points as a 3 BR, and all PICs get the same number, but these are lockouts so you have the added flexibility of trading them as 2 2 BR weeks or as 1 4 BR week when you deposit w/RCI - I also trade through SFX with mine to go to Mexico.

If it were me, I would decide based on the PIC points to MF ratio since that's how you ultimately plan to use them. If either of the ones you're looking at also trades in Interval International, that would be a major plus because it would give you the added flexibility of using them and getting additional access to resorts not in RCI, although there is additional cost for that membership. Summit only trades in RCI.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Looks like they are both also affiliated with Interval.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Make sure you don’t buy weeks at a resort that sells RCI points. Those can’t be PIC even if the week is in weeks.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to buy a resort to use exclusively as a trader in RCI Points, why fiddle around with Wyndham??? Just buy a converted week at Grandview Las Vegas or Vacation Village in Parkland. Lots of points, small MF. What's not to like? You automatically get the points credited on your anniversary and just use the points as currency. Unused points carry over for a year, and you can borrow ahead as long as your MF is paid.

Jim

PS RCI offerings in Europe are not up to American TS luxury standards.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Make sure you don’t buy weeks at a resort that sells RCI points. Those can’t be PIC even if the week is in weeks.
While you can't use PFD (points for deposit into rci points) at points resorts even if it is in weeks, you can PIC weeks that are RCI points resorts as long as the specific unit has not been enrolled in a points system. As long as the week is eligible to be deposited with RCI weeks it is eligible for the PIC program.