TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

RCI Points expiring 8/31/2018 -- Do I have to check-in by then? Check-out? Book?

Discussion in 'Exchanging Timeshares' started by JudyS, Jul 3, 2018.

1. JudyS

JudyS TUG Member

I have some RCI Points that will expire on 8/31/2018. I'm not sure exactly what the expiration date means. Do I have to check-out by 8/31/2018? Check-in by 8/331/2018? Book by 8/31/2018?

Yeah, I could call RCI and ask. I bet people on TUG have a better idea, though.

2. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    Just book by 8/31. Can you extend them or have you already done that? If you aren't platinum and it is a lot of points it might be worth your while to pay to be platinum to be able to extend them longer. I remember one person posting that they talked to the RCI rep and got a cheap trial period offer to try platinum.

3. Lisa P

Lisa P TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham Points
    My understanding has been that your points could be used for an exchange with a check-in date on or before the points' expiration date.

As with searching online with a deposit, the check-out date doesn't matter, only the check-in date matters. But I cannot find the reference for this with RCI. So if this is not correct, someone please correct me.

4. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    This may not be Wyndham weeks account deposit she is talking about. Especially since this isn't the Wyndham thread. I was assuming she has an RCI points account but am realizing she didn't make that clear.

5. JudyS

JudyS TUG Member

Thanks for the replies. These are regular RCI Points, not Wyndham or HGVC or anything. I did refer to them as "RCI Points," both in my title and in my first post, and I'm not sure they have any other name. These are the ones that cost, say, 30,000 to 120,000 points to book a week in RCI, are available from multiple brands of resorts, and cost maybe 1.1 cents in MFs per point.

So, now that I've clarified what type of points these are, do I have to check-in, check-out, or book by 8/31? (Also, I've extended these points before, and cannot extend them again. I could use some of them to book some other sort of travel, but RCI seems to be giving only 0.7 cents per point if you do that, plus there's a fee of $25.)

6. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    You probably should join Platinum, as someone else said. Call and ask RCI if the Platinum membership would allow you to extend the points beyond the expiration date.

I think the RCI Points get better than that for car rentals, maybe close to 1 cent per point, but you can only use 1/2 of your allotment annual for car rentals and other travel needs. I have the Platinum membership because it allows me to use 1/2 and not just 1/3 of my points for things like car rentals.

7. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    I have some TPU's (weeks) points expiring at the end of this month. The system is not allowing me to extend them, and I always thought I could extend them over and over again, so I don't understand it at all. It's quite a few TPU's.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  8. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Ugh. I hope that it's just a glitch and not a new "enhancement". Although why wouldn't they want to get more extension fees?

Free2Roam likes this.
  9. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    Do you have info about the RCI Platinum trial offer?

10. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    From what I understand weeks RCI members don't get all of the most worthwhile platinum benefits that points members get. Paying for platinum benefits might not be worth the money for a weeks owner. It has probably been a year ago now but someone posted that they got a 6 months trial platinum membership for I think $39. Don't know if RCI still offers them or if the price would be the same. If you have a weeks account and log into your RCI account you can see what the benefits are and the fees to be platinum. Don't know if it will show trial offers.

If you can find and post the platinum prices and benefits for RCI weeks owners it would be great for everyone to be able to compare them.

RCI PLATINUM® Benefits
    Annual RCI Points Platinum Fees Total Cost (USD) Price Per
    Year (USD)

RCI Points Platinum® 1 Yr $89
    RCI Points Platinum® 2 Yrs $155 $77.50
    RCI Points Platinum® 3 Yrs $221 $73.67
    RCI Points Platinum® 4 Yrs $279 $69.75
    RCI Points Platinum® 5 Yrs $322 $64.40

[​IMG]
    10% Discount on Extra Vacations getaways and Last Call Vacations
    Enjoy an additional 10% off all your Extra VacationsSMgetaways and Last CallSM Vacations — even those already on sale.*

[​IMG]
    RCI Platinum Points Extension
    Get more time to enjoy your Points! As an RCI Platinum member, who is also an RCI Points® member, you are eligible to extend your unused Points for Two Use Years, as compared to standard RCI members who can extend their Points for only One Use Year, when they pay the same applicable fee. While extended Points expire at the end of a Third Use Year for standard RCI members, RCI Platinum members will enjoy a Fourth Use Year with no additional fee.

[​IMG]
    Free Ongoing Search
    Can’t find the vacation you’re looking for right now? We’ll keep a lookout for you 24/7 and you won’t be charged your exchange fee until we find a match!

[​IMG]
    Free On-Hold Vacations
    Not quite ready to book? We’ll hold your 7-night RCI Weeks®vacation for you without a fee while you iron out those last minute details.

[​IMG]
    25% discount on Guest Certificates
    Receive a 25% discount on the purchase of Guest Certificates which you can share with family or friends! An RCI® Guest Certificate lets them experience a vacation at an RCI affiliated resort booked through your RCI account.

[​IMG]
    Travel Concierge
    Receive access to the comfort, care, and attention of personal assistance coordinators available 24/7 to respond to your phone calls. Available services include restaurant reservations, event ticketing, ground transportation coordination, golf tee-time reservations, and more! Click here to view all available services. Please contact RCI directly (at 1.866.545.7205) to assist you with Exchange-related inquiries. To take advantage of your Travel Concierge services, call 1.866.557.3238 (domestic) or 715.342.2414 (International collect).1

[​IMG]
    24/7 Emergency Travel Assistance
    Relax knowing you have access to dedicated around-the-clock travel counselors, just a phone call away to help solve last minute travel problems or to help with emergencies, such as flight or hotel re-booking, roadside assistance - assist only, or emergency travel return services. Click hereto view all available services. Please contact RCI directly (at 1.866.545.7205) to assist you with Exchange-related inquiries. To take advantage of your Emergency Travel benefits, call 1.866.557.3238 (domestic) or 715.342.2414(International collect).1

[​IMG]
    City Attractions
    Save 20% off things to do when you travel with a Go City Card multi-attraction pass. Passes include admission to top attractions, tours, museums, and more in 11 popular destinations for one low price. Pay nothing at the gate. More choices, more savings.

[​IMG]
    Complimentary Unit Upgrades & Changes
    Here’s how it works: when you book your confirmed Exchange vacation, you’ll have the opportunity to receive Complimentary Unit Upgrades and Resort Changes. Just let us know you’re interested in a unit upgrade or resort change. Within two weeks of check-in, if one of the resorts you’ve specified, or a bigger unit at your confirmed resort becomes available, we’ll change your reservation and provide you with the details.

[​IMG]
    Savings Dollars
    Earn Savings Dollars on select RCI transactions you already do (like paying exchange fees and renewing your RCI®subscribing membership).Then it’s up to you how you redeem them – hotel stays, home electronics, fashion, wine (where legally available to ship), jewelry, sporting goods, dining certificates and more.*

[​IMG]
    Priority Access
    Get exclusive access to exchange vacations at select hotels and resorts before they’re made available to standard RCI®subscribing members for exchange.

[​IMG]
    Platinum Previews
    RCI Platinum members have first dibs on Extra VacationsSMgetaways sales! With RCI Platinum membership, see (and book) Extra Vacations getaways sales one day earlier than standard RCI members.

[​IMG]
    RCI® Points Partner Program
    Make your Points go farther! RCI Platinum members, who are RCI Points members, can use more of their annual Points allocation when booking travel – 50% of your annual Points allotment, rather than 33% for standard RCI members.

[​IMG]
    Platinum Cruise Exchange
    RCI Platinum members still receive an extra $25USD off per cabin towards the purchase of select cruises (and can enjoy this benefit on an unlimited number of cabins, so bring along the whole family!)

[​IMG]
    Priority Answer
    RCI Platinum members who call 1.866.545.7205 get quicker access to our knowledgeable guides. Enjoy fast answers from the RCI Platinum experts who are waiting to help you with your vacation planning!

[​IMG]
    Free Points Transfers
    Know an RCI Points member that could use additional Points? Lucky them! Now RCI Platinum members no longer pay a Points transfer fee, so transfer away!

[​IMG]
    RCI Platinum® Guided Vacations
    Looking to explore exotic locales? Or do you want to visit a new location in the U.S.? Either way, we’ve got a vacation tour for you! Plus, RCI Platinum members receive an extra $25USD per couple towards the purchase of select tours, as compared to standard RCI members.

11. Lisa P

Lisa P TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham Points
    Agree, so was I. But I had thought the reservation had to have a "travel" (check-in) date on or before the points expiration date. Is this incorrect?

If her RCI Points expire on August 31, 2018, is she able to use them for a May 2019 (or up to 10 months after the booking date) RCI Points exchange, as long as she actually books it by August 31, 2018?

The only company that I've heard of doing things this way was WorldMark, not an exchange company. ??? :shrug: ???

That's disappointing. A friend of ours said she was told she could only extend her TPUs (for a year) once as well. :mad:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  12. sfwilshire

sfwilshire TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Are the deposits associated with an ongoing search? If so, I believe you will need to cancel the search before you will be allowed to combine on-line. An agent might be able to do it without losing your original search start date, but I've never ask.

Sheila

13. JudyS

JudyS TUG Member

Thanks for the responses here. Platinum membership won't help, as I had Platinum before and extended the points then. RCI tells me I cannot extend these points any further.

I'm still not certain if I have to check-in, check-out, or book by 8/31/2018. I'm playing it safe, and assuming I have to check-out by then. Luckily, I saw a DVC SSR week sitting online for mid-August. I used my expiring points (plus some more, 68k total) to book it. So, Disney World, here I come!

14. moonstone

moonstone TUG Member

Judy, I had the same question for RCI when we had some points expiring in May. I went on RCI's on-line chat and I am fairly certain I had to check-in before our points expired, but our stay could extend past the end of the month. I was hoping I just needed to book buy the last day but RCI said no. I thought I had saved the chat for future reference but now I cant find it. I have used the online chat quite often and find the response time faster than phoning them and I can save the conversation (print version) for future reference - if I remember to do so!

~Diane

15. chemteach

chemteach TUG Member

You can always combine deposits to extend them for a year.

Laurie likes this.
  16. JudyS

JudyS TUG Member

Thanks, Diane!