• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI problems

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
New message RCI should be posting on thier website

Due to recent enhancements made to RCI.com, all members will experience no response times. Technicians are currently working to lower your trade power even further. We apologize for any loss of finances this may cause you. Your patience is expected.

deejay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Due to recent enhancements made to RCI.com, all members will experience no response times. Technicians are currently working to lower your trade power even further. We apologize for any loss of finances this may cause you. Your patience is expected.

Priceless. Great post!:clap:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Trying to access weeks via my points account and it is not responding either.

I also got kicked out at straight up weeks only account.

Frustrating.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I quickly checked in at 4:15 ET today and got into searching weeks, fairly quickly (comparatively), clicked a resort to get more info, and was stopped there.

They will absolutely have to get back to 'normal' (whatever that is) before too long--but sheesh, hasn't this been going on for two weeks come this weekend?

I have a new deposit which typically is a 'little' tiger trader and it is showing as so-so, but better than my others; my only comfort is seeing some of you who own obviously good traders getting about the same results.

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, love my RCI vacations. I had emailed RCI (feedback) a few days ago to complain about the loss in trading power. Where I used to see lots of OLCC units (all villages) for Jan - May 2011, I wasn't seeing ANY! FWIW, the response that I got from RCI is as follows:

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the delay in our response.

The units are still pulling up against your deposit; for some reason they are just not showing online. Hopefully, this is something that will be resolved soon.

Kind Regards,

RCI North America​

As a follow-up to this email, I asked what exchange fees would be charged, given that the site being down is forcing me to call in to a guide. Here's the response, again FWIW ...

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the delay in our response.

If you tell the Guide that you are having problems with the Website, they will honor the Web discount.

Kind Regards,

RCI North America​

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
So on Friday, we will all call and demand our trading power back, or we want our weeks returned to us from their system. It is all we can do, and perhaps we can change things, if we all insist at once that our trading power has dropped significantly.

The one thing I want to warn you about is about complaining about the DVC availability. I know it is disappointing that DVC is gone to us, possibly, but if you bring it up, and I have already noticed this with my three calls to RCI in the past few days, they will just say, "DVC was never there, these were weeks that appeared to be there, but they weren't, so you aren't going to see DVC anymore because we have given them all out on to ongoing searches."

It's not true, I am sure, but I think they are going to give DVC to only very high quality resorts with very prime weeks. I think there will be an upper echelon of trader that will get them. Maybe that was what this upgrade was all about, and maybe that is why Hawaii is essentially now impossible to get, unless you want a studio or 1 bedroom at some non-rated resort. That is what is making me angry.

I believe my weeks 27 and 28 at Foxrun are still sitting in their system, they were there before the enhancements, but when I have used my previous supertrader Val Chatelle summer weeks, I cannot pull summer 2010 at Foxrun. So none of my weeks has the power to see what I deposited, and they were all equal before?

I used to see over 17K in Florida, now I see 14,500 or so.

I could see over 6K in Orlando, now it's 5K.

I saw over 500 every single day in Hawaii, with some earlier 2009 availability in the 1,000 range. Many days there were 720 or so, including the week before the "enhancements," when I could see a few Hilton Hawaiian Village Kalia and Lagoon Towers. :( Now I see 85 weeks, with half of them for this month.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they are going to give DVC to only very high quality resorts with very prime weeks. I think there will be an upper echelon of trader that will get them. Maybe that was what this upgrade was all about, and maybe that is why Hawaii is essentially now impossible to get, unless you want a studio or 1 bedroom at some non-rated resort.

I think you may be right about this. I really have no interest in trading into DVC, (shock), but I know there must have been some pressure and accommodations made with their joining RCI. Too bad for those of us who don't give a rip if we could get DVC--we all pay for it.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
my account is fine now, and i still see tons of dvc. i wonder if its different for everyone. i couldnt get in yesterday at all, however.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
That can keep their DVC. I was once offered DVC by DAE and turned it down.
I am much more interested in seeing more UK between March and October.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
That can keep their DVC. I was once offered DVC by DAE and turned it down.
I am much more interested in seeing more UK between March and October.

Can you see any for UK?

I can see 137 units between March and October 2010 for UK & Ireland.

goofygirl17

Reaction score
I don't see how they can deny the change in trade power. I tried for months to get DVC and wasn't able. I also talked to RCI on the phone and to supervisors and was pretty much told I didn't have a nice enough timeshare to exchange.

Now, since the upgrade I can see DVC but I figured they were phantom openings or whatever they're calling them. But, last night I actually was able to put a hold on villas at Wilderness lodge and got the email to confirm it. Of course I had to cancel/release it because we couldn't go at that time but I wanted to test if it was an actual available exchange.

Hope they get this straightened out soon but would love to continue to have access to DVC.

Gooyfgirl

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
i was just getting used to the "new" site and they went and "upgraded" it.. that IT talk for "screwing it up royally "

Ever hear of a beta test site.. even a high schooler knows not to make wholesale changes with out testing them out.

all this and more for money we pay.. might be time to say hello to DAE or another exchange company..

Ari

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can now log in, but there's still a 20 % reduction in available weeks. Also, the 2 and 3 bed weeks that previously traded similarily are now showing a distinct difference.

Vodo

Reaction score
My SA Week Got Better Today . . .

E-mailed RCI about severe post-upgrade loss of trading power on my only week -- Sudwala in South Africa. Received the following response today:

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We recognize that members are currently experiencing Trading Power
valuation issues for deposits of South African resorts. Our team is
currently working to resolve this issue. If you would like assistance
with vacation planning, please call 800-338-7777 to speak with an RCI
Vacation Guide.

Thank you for your interest in RCI.

A subsequent check of my exchange options surprisingly reflected an almost 100% increase in available weeks. Still nothing wonderful, of course, but at least the numbers are back to what they were (actually a little better) before the so-called upgrade. Now I just have to watch to see if it stays that way as they continue to "putz" with the system.

Cindy

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My SA has also come up substantially, but my usually strong trader actually went down. I think maybe it isn't quite settled yet. However, I was able to do searches today at probably peak after-work time.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
The clue that something is really wrong is the "search with all available weeks" option.

We have 3 weeks on deposit, each showing different numbers of available units. The two from the same resort are similar, though the one I would expect to have better trade power in fact is a bit lower - that week is a later deposit, with a bigger window of opportunity, but less available.

The week at our other resort has significantly more available. (and in points it would be worth about half as much as the other two - go figure)

When I checked this morning, the "all available weeks" had the exact same number available as one of the units - right in the middle. When I checked a bit later, it was close to the number from that resort, but about 10 units higher.

I would expect it either be at least as high as the highest (showing all deposits that are available for at least one of my weeks), or lower than the lowest (all weeks available for ALL of my deposits). So, no idea what the function actually tells you.

I can get in a run a search on the individual weeks, and get to the point of seeing which resorts are available, but not the actual units available. At that point we get a message that they are unable to release my unit on hold (don't have one of those), and to call.

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you see any for UK?

Are they still there for you? A bunch I saw a few days ago are now gone....

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they still there for you? A bunch I saw a few days ago are now gone....

Still seeing about 150 + units in the UK & Ireland from March 2010 to October 2010

Last edited:

Ari

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you see any for UK?

192 units between March and October 2010 (SA deposit).

I guess you have noticed how the number extra vacations has increased while the number of available weeks for exchange has gone down? Resorts which seldom had any extras, now suddenly have plenty of them. Of course, it is more profitable to sell our banked weeks than just to let them go on exchange. Could it really be so simple?

jdbacz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to put a unit on hold this morning (6/14), and came up with the "unit no longer available" error. Anybody else still seeing this problem?

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also got the "unit no longer available" (numerous times) , but called in and did get the unit I wanted!

deejay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to give RCI some credit. They acknowledged a problem with SA week trading power (although somewhat belatedly), corrected it (at least in my view), and got the website functioning reasonably well. I was able to find a desirable resort and location and hold it with no problem. However, I was unable to confirm it online--had to call to confirm (no unusual wait). For now, I'm happy again.