• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI problems

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's 8:00 pm Eastern time and I cannot do an exchange search. I keep being recycled back to the sign in page. I tried about a dozen times over the last hour.

But not to worry. Since we are blocked from doing on-line exchange searches, they have been kind enough to offer about 50,000 weeks we can purchase as "Extra Vacations." What a deal--prices range from $500. to $1800. :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

USA
Alaska [37]
Carolinas and the Southeast [7273]
Florida [12930]
Gulf States [2545]
Hawaii [1362]
Mid-Atlantic [1578]
Mid-South [5325]
Midwest & Plains [2551]
New England [4314]
Pacific Coast [5257]
Rocky Mountains [5976]

I do as little business as possible with this lousy company.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we can get together on the Friday complaint call, maybe we could all agree to ask them if we can withdraw our deposited weeks, since they have violated their contractual obligation to offer exchanges for them. And ask if there is a way for them to transfer the deposited weeks to I.I. (if it is a dual affiliated resort) or otherwise to Platinum Exchange, or Redweek.com, or Dial-an-Exchange, or Trading Places. etc... We know the answer will be "no" but perhaps the message will reach the arrogant upper echelon who probably think that RCI members are clueless about other options.

deejay

TUG Member
Reaction score
An IT rep I talked with last weekend seemed to be telling me the truth--that a large percentage of availability was not showing on users website--and he had no clue of how long the fix might take, but they were aware of the problem and were trying to resolve it. I've subsequently received two emails (neither of which admitted a problem, and didn't come close to answering the question I asked, ie, why i went from 118,000 to 62,000 in one weekend). Having spent some time in the industry, I'm assuming the Guides and customer service reps have been told not to allude to any problems. Like many of you, I'm continuing to pepper them with questions until they get this thing resolved.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect them to admit there is a problem.

An IT rep I talked with last weekend seemed to be telling me the truth--that a large percentage of availability was not showing on users website--and he had no clue of how long the fix might take, but they were aware of the problem and were trying to resolve it. I've subsequently received two emails (neither of which admitted a problem, and didn't come close to answering the question I asked, ie, why i went from 118,000 to 62,000 in one weekend). Having spent some time in the industry, I'm assuming the Guides and customer service reps have been told not to allude to any problems. Like many of you, I'm continuing to pepper them with questions until they get this thing resolved.

However, it is obvious that there are still problems with the maintenance that was conducted last weekend. I also agree that the message should be updated, but until that message comes down; I believe there are issues they are aware of and are working on.

I agree it is upsetting. I may be in the minority currently. But I have remained with RCI since I started timesharing in 1984 and will continue to do so because I have had great exchanges for 20+ years (except for one which is an area where the timeshares just aren't up to par).

Sure, I prefer if at all possible to do everything online and not deal with them on the telephone, though almost every time I get what I need when I have to call.

You know there are issues. When the dust clears and they are no longer indicating on the website that there are issues and you believe issues exist, then go get them. But until then, try to be patient. Some are probably taking years off their life span due to the persistent frenzy they are in. If RCI is really not working for you on any level, then get out and you'll be happier and less stressed in the future. I also hope they get the kinks out soon and will one day upgrade the Points side online.

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
But not to worry. Since we are blocked from doing on-line exchange searches, they have been kind enough to offer about 50,000 weeks we can purchase as "Extra Vacations." What a deal--prices range from $500. to $1800. :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

You must have missed DVC's Bay Lake Tower, 2BR, 12/25-1/1, for $7,775.99 :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, a big stink needs to be made, and kept up until it's resolved. There simply is not enough pressure on RCI about this. Don't take no for an answer until they agree to look more into it.

I kept calm, patient, and polite until the roaring lies came out. The head supervisor came on after my last call and stated "my weeks before showed the full inventory, including those weeks that were already booked, and now my account is actually working (for the first time in years) and can only see what is REALLY available).

After proving that simply wasn't true he agreed to look more into it, and I believe he is as it sounds like a lot of these people simply do not know and/or understand things properly. There is no doubt trading power was negatively effected among many resorts/weeks across the system. I've checked many weeks at various resorts personally and have seen decreases in all of them.

KEEP calling and pressuring RCI on this until it's fixed.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Europe. They had 10 or 12 Fall weeks at Hotel Deutschmeister in Vienna for a bit over $400. and an August week for less than $500. I also found quite a number of weeks in some parts of Europe in the $200 range.

It's 8:00 pm Eastern time and I cannot do an exchange search. I keep being recycled back to the sign in page. I tried about a dozen times over the last hour.

USA
Alaska [37]
Carolinas and the Southeast [7273]
Florida [12930]
Gulf States [2545]
Hawaii [1362]
Mid-Atlantic [1578]
Mid-South [5325]
Midwest & Plains [2551]
New England [4314]
Pacific Coast [5257]
Rocky Mountains [5976]

I do as little business as possible with this lousy company.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to cancel an hold this moring and here is the message I got:

members can only confirm this week by calling an RCI Vacation Guide at 800-338-7777 no later than; 8-MAR-2006.

I guess I'm a little overdue...

tedk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now seeing roughly half of what i was seeing prior to this fantastic update. Have been onto RCI and they are going to look into it. My understanding is once your week has been banked your trading power cannot decrease, so why the loss. The big question is how am i going to get it back.
ted:mad:

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Website is running extremely slow again

It is taking forever to load

deejay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been told that Chrystel DeHaan once said she started and ran RCI with a Roladex many years a go. Is that Roladex still availabe? It may be faster, and probably a lot more accurate!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I have you all beat tonight! I finally got in and got the typical 50% + reduced trade power, searched around with one unit, then tried with a different unit and by then, all exchanges had reduced each to a total of 27 available exchanges. (Oh, my supposed Tiger went to 127.) I don't know whether to :bawl: or :hysterical:

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I have you all beat tonight! I finally got in and got the typical 50% + reduced trade power, searched around with one unit, then tried with a different unit and by then, all exchanges had reduced each to a total of 27 available exchanges. (Oh, my supposed Tiger went to 127.) I don't know whether to :bawl: or :hysterical:

And I imagine if you called, they would just tell you that prior to what you see now.. your account was showing all inventory, available and unavailable, but now what you see you CAN actually book! :rofl:

I don't know what RCI's problem is anymore. It's ridiculous how much worse this problem keeps getting.

JEFF H

Reaction score
My understanding is once your week has been banked your trading power cannot decrease, so why the loss. The big question is how am i going to get it back. ted:mad:

My experience is weeks trade power is fluid and always changing.
RCI's computer uses a trade power algorythm that causes your trade power to change based on supply & demand as well as other data points RCI sets.
This puts all the power in RCI's hands to value and devalue week deposits however they see fit by tweaking the computer program.
It use to be all hidden and secret and you never really knew what you had.
When they started showing The number of available exchanges for your deposit online you had a good indication of your trade power compared to other deposits in your account.
Small changes in the number of available exchanges go unnoticed but when a massive change takes place like it did recently its pretty obvious RCI has alot of problems and is out of control.
juggling both a points & weeks system is seems counter productive to maintaining a premium exchange service at this stage.
They need to embrace a single system and consolidate all available resources behind it to make it function properly as the premium service it should be.

reanda

Reaction score
More trouble in paradise

It appears rci.com is hosed again, I was logged in and the screen froze up, had to cntrl'alt'delete to kill my browser, trying to log back in now is says my user name/pass is not valid and there is very little content loading on the welcome screen :mad:.

Does anyone know when they are going to make a decision to pull out the changes implemented 2 week-ends ago when all this mess started?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dead, dead, dead...

The RCI homepage won't even load now. :crash: I guess I picked a really good time to deposit my first week ever, eh? What a learning experience!!!

deejay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't get on it either. The best course of action would have been to admit there were problems (other than download times), and to not even use it until they have it corrected. However, they've chosen to publicly ignore a major problem with the folks who keep them in business. We pay membership fees, exchange fees, rental fees, cruise fees, vacation insurance fees, last call fees. Gotta believe they owe us the truth. Terrible member services.

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the login page to load, then I got this message after logging in:

Due to internal error, the system is unavailable.

Currently, the RCI Weeks site is experiencing heavy traffic. We value your business and apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later. If you need immediate assistance, please contact an RCI Guide. [M2]​

intromaster

TUG Member
Reaction score
now, I am not even getting the RCI login screen. Just

"Due to recent enhancements made to RCI.com, some members may experience slower response times. Technicians are currently working to resolve this. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Your patience is appreciated."

YEAH RIGHT!

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get
Due to internal error, the system is unavailable.

Currently, the RCI Weeks site is experiencing heavy traffic. We value your business and apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later. If you need immediate assistance, please contact an RCI Guide. [M2]

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
RCI points for points resorts are working but not weeks

It won't let me log onto weeks. No problem logging onto points and searching for points resorts but if I search weeks in points it shows 0 availability everywhere for all times searched.

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting both messages here also. Slow response time for some and the internal error msg.

I have a week to expire soon and I think RCI should extend it free since I can't look to see if maybe something else is available other then the search I have going. :D

If I call, they'd probably ask to extend my membership or spaceank my other weeks. :D

Last edited:

deejay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im going to be optomistic and hope that tonight's issues mean that a fix is in the works. Please don't get me wrong--I love my RCI vacations. Its the innefficiencies and secrecy that drive me nuts!

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
gave up in RCI.... I tried booking the unit but it gives error... Now I can't get in