• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reduced RCI availability to HGVC members??

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Perhaps this is not HGVC's fault but RCI/Wyndham quietly limiting availability to a competitor? It would be good to let HGVC know in case RCI was not living up to its contract.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Perhaps this is not HGVC's fault but RCI/Wyndham quietly limiting availability to a competitor? It would be good to let HGVC know in case RCI was not living up to its contract.
I was just on the hgvc portal and there are lesser quality resorts availability, places that are on the lower end of quality.

You might be onto something with RCI/Wyndham.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The HGVC RCI rep was also not able to see the resort and had no explanation why not? We called 2 separate times to talk to 2 different reps. Same answer both times.....

If you haven’t, I would try asking for a supervisor and/or reach out to HGVC via input@hilton.com regarding the RCI resort you want to book.

If you decide to write to input@hilton.com, just ask them to please forward your email to the appropriate department. They have been pretty good with getting back to me in the past.

Good Luck

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hmm... Might be worth spending $99 to set up a separate RCI account to check this out. Would I be required to deposit property before seeing what it is worth? or can you look around before making a deposit?

I have always been annoyed that HGVC owners cannot view RCI cash getaways online so there might be benefit there as well.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hmm... Might be worth spending $99 to set up a separate RCI account to check this out. Would I be required to deposit property before seeing what it is worth? or can you look around before making a deposit?

I have always been annoyed that HGVC owners cannot view RCI cash getaways online so there might be benefit there as well.
There is a deposit calculator to see what it is worth before depositing.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Because some of us have been around before RCI online access was added.
And some of us even remember the old printed RCI Resort Directory we got from Hilton that was only a subset of RCI resorts.
And some of us remember the complaints that go back 10+ years

2005 TUG thread about not seeing availability at Kahana Falls - http://www.tug1.net/tugbbs1/Forum6/HTML/001582.html
2009 TUG post about HGVC's RCI directory - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...vc-and-rci-points-accounts.88055/#post-644316
2011 TUG post that the online system restricted just like the hardcopy directory we received - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-all-rci-weeks-available.150094/#post-1130803
Thank you guys for that bit of history. That is insightful information that everyone did not know! Good job!

Just for the record, I did send email to Edgar Hernandez, Senior Manager Customer Care. I have not heard anything back yet.

I certainly now buy into the idea of the filtering, but am still perplexed why these specific resorts would be filtered?? These are Gold Crown high quality resorts?? I will continue to pursue HGVC to see if there may be an answer out there.....

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just for the record, I did send email to Edgar Hernandez, Senior Manager Customer Care. I have not heard anything back yet.

Please report back.
As I stated previously, I can see these two resorts via Disney’s RCI Page so something does seem wrong.

Sadly mistakes can happen. :rolleyes: And System issues do occur from time to time. :crash:
Who knows how the original resort list was put together and how it’s being maintained. Did they evaluate all possible resorts or just select some from each region ? :shrug:

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any update on this one? I'm very interested to know. RCI has done some shady (IMO) things in the past (I forget whatever happened to that class action lawsuit where RCI was telling members no availability but then renting out the units directly to make more money).

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can speak from personal experience about Kahana Falls. We stayed at Kahana Falls back in 2000. It was our first RCI via HGVC exchange. We absolutely loved it. (This was before kids and before we got truly spoiled with fancy Hilton timeshare accommodations.) A lot of HGVC members complained about Kahana Falls with good reason--they have a bad ant problem and some of the units were super small. In subsequent years we tried to exchange back into Kahana Falls but Hilton wouldn't let us. A couple of times the phone counselor said she would over ride the system form-that is stating that we know we were accepting less than acceptable accommodations--still we never go the exchange. We were traveling in the off seasons.

I don't profess to know what the real story is, but I have had a couple of experiences when HGVC would let me exchange into a place because it was below standard--or at least that's what they said.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I disagree with this RCI needs Hilton. Hilton does bulk Hawaii deposits. II has Marriott, Vistana, and Hyatt. RCI needs Hilton. On the other hand Wyndham points owners are a captive audience. Members couldn't go to II even if they wanted to. For many Wyndham owners, at the end of the year, the only thing they can do with their expiring points is lose them or deposit in RCI- again captive audience. No need to go out of the way to make Wyndham owners especially happy with RCI. If they were giving special preference on purpose to Wyndham owners you would certainly have heard that at every Wyndham update. It isn't happening. So really no reason to give special unadvertised preference to Wyndham owners.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." ... or in RCI's case incompetent programming. Yes there is a quality filter for some resorts that HGVC can't see. DVC has the same thing. The list may not be identical but are probably similar. That doesn't explain the higher quality resort exclusions. RCI doesn't seem to be acknowledging a problem. Either they know and aren't saying or don't know and don't believe there is a problem- the reported problems may not be making it to someone who can even investigate if there is a problem.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
RCI has done some shady (IMO) things in the past (I forget whatever happened to that class action lawsuit where RCI was telling members no availability but then renting out the units directly to make more money).

If you are talking about the class action suit from quite a few years ago, it was settled out of court. This article from 2009 explains the settlement.

https://www.tstodayjoin.com/members/magazine/issue104/issue104.pdf

Essentially, the TPU system that RCI adopted for their weeks trading system a number of years ago was in direct response to the suit and was designed to provide more transparency into the concept of "Trading Power". I think this court-mandated TPU system is the one area where RCI's core system is superior to Interval International. Obviously, the HGVC portal doesn't rely on TPUs, but the regular member site does.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I have sent 2 emails to Hilton;
1. One to ehernandez@hgvc.com. Edgar Hernandez, Senior Manager Customer Care. Sent 1/23
2. One to input@hilton.com. Sent 1/24
To date, I have received no answer......:(

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Sent you a PM

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I have sent 2 emails to Hilton;
1. One to ehernandez@hgvc.com. Edgar Hernandez, Senior Manager Customer Care
2. One to input@hilton.com
To date, I have received no answer......:(
I sent a website improvement idea to the input address. It took a couple of days but I did get an answer.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I sent a website improvement idea to the input address. It took a couple of days but I did get an answer.
Well, so far it has been a week. When you sent your email did you get a immediate response that your email had been received?? Someone else suggested this is what should happen?

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, so far it has been a week. When you sent your email did you get a immediate response that your email had been received?? Someone else suggested this is what should happen?
I did not. But I did get my response in less than a week.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Specifically, we were looking for Pueblo Bonito Rose or Pueblo Bonito Blanco. Interestingly, we were only able to see Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach.....
I don't know if this was discussed on this thread. Have you stayed in either of those resorts through RCI in the last 4 years? They do have a 1 in 4 rule.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
HGVC has had a quality filter for YEARS now. They are supposedly filtering out lower quality resorts. You can get one of these if you call, and they will advise you on it, book it for you, but tell you they will not accept you calling back and complaining about it to get your points back.

Try that method if there is something you want but don't see on your HGVC account.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Full response has been received from HGVC!!

"Thank you for your inquiry. As indicated, I have met with our Partners at RCI to review your feedback. I am very sorry the HGV trained RCI Vacation Guides you spoke with were not able to explain this situation.

It is RCI’s goal to match our members with vacation experiences at RCI Affiliated Resorts that are similar to their ownership experiences. Since Hilton Grand Vacations offers its members a high quality vacation experience, RCI tries to serve up similar experiences at RCI Affiliated Resorts which may restrict the number of resorts initially offered up as potential exchange options. Since over 50% of HGV member transactions with RCI are facilitated on-line, these initial quality filters are our best defense for a similar vacation experience match.

HGV members are not excluded from confirming any of our 4,300 + RCI Affiliated Resorts via an HGV trained RCI Vacation Guide. For this reason, different RCI members or Club accounts may initially be served up different availability at RCI Affiliated Resorts than what is initially offered to an HGV member. HGV members are always welcome to speak with an HGV trained RCI Vacation Guide for additional resort options that may suit their needs."

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Thanks for the update!
So that confirms that they are still using quality filters for HGVC.
But, these were GC resorts, so IMHO, they should've been listed.
IOW, the filter was not to blame, rather the peep in charge of it.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Either way, it sounds as if you call RCI then they should be able to see everything and get you what you want if it's available.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
To the point about the Gold Crown resorts being filtered out; This is to be looked into further to see why that is.
To the point about calling HGVC RCI; If you followed the beginning of this forum, I pointed out that we called HGVC RCI, TWICE. In both cases they say no more than what we saw. So, the answer to how HGVC can help us is still pending......

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGV members are not excluded from confirming any of our 4,300 + RCI Affiliated Resorts via an HGV trained RCI Vacation Guide...HGV members are always welcome to speak with an HGV trained RCI Vacation Guide for additional resort options that may suit their needs."

After reading this I got very exciting. We stayed at Kahana Falls in Maui in 2000 but were never able to exchange since due to its low rating (although I had tried several times before). I was getting ready to call HGVC now and request an ongoing search.

I decided to look at the reviews and travelers photos on tripadvisor first. Well it's clear why HGVC discourages its members from some exchanges. The place looks so sad. And well, I guess my standards have change in my 18 years of timsharing. Hilton has spoiled me.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The response from HGVC doesn't really explain why Gold Crown resorts are being filtered out from what HGVC can see...they don't just seem to be filtering out crappy resorts.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Full response has been received from HGVC!!

"Thank you for your inquiry. As indicated, I have met with our Partners at RCI to review your feedback. I am very sorry the HGVC trained RCI Vacation Guides you spoke with were not able to explain this situation.

It is RCI’s goal to match our members with vacation experiences at RCI Affiliated Resorts that are similar to their ownership experiences. Since Hilton Grand Vacations offers its members a high quality vacation experience, RCI tries to serve up similar experiences at RCI Affiliated Resorts which may restrict the number of resorts initially offered up as potential exchange options. Since over 50% of HGVC member transactions with RCI are facilitated on-line, these initial quality filters are our best defense for a similar vacation experience match.

HGVC members are not excluded from confirming any of our 4,300 + RCI Affiliated Resorts via an HGVC trained RCI Vacation Guide. For this reason, different RCI members or Club accounts may initially be served up different availability at RCI Affiliated Resorts than what is initially offered to an HGV member. HGVC members are always welcome to speak with an HGVC trained RCI Vacation Guide for additional resort options that may suit their needs."

To follow up on the response from HGVC; HGVC made sure I was able to talk to a executive at RCI to be better informed for the remaining questions I had. I had a pretty lengthy phone discussion with the RCI executive about how the HGVC program works with RCI. The following points were confirmed:
  • RCI does perform filtering of some resorts for the HGVC RCI program
  • This filtering may sometimes be 'aggressive' and will sometimes filter out Gold Crown resorts (a definite flaw)
  • Any resort, including the filtered resorts, are available to HGVC members by calling HGVC RCI and requesting availability
  • The 'Last Call' vacations may also be filtered, but calling HGVC will provide full access
  • Additionally, it was pointed out that 'vacation getaways' are also available to HGVC members! This is an option that does not show up on the HGVC RCI website, but is available by calling HGVC RCI.
  • HGVC owners have full access to ALL of RCI's availability
I certainly felt much better about this whole problem after discussing this with the HGVC executive as well as the HGVC RCI executive. All of my question were answered and the whole thing was very professional. It restored my confidence in HGVC.

However, I would imagine by now everyone would have to be asking themselves; If all of the above bullets are true, why did this problem ever occur to begin with?? And that is exactly the question I posed to the HGVC RCI executive. Her answer; "Unfortunately, that is an additional training opportunity for us". We made 2 separate phone calls to HGVC RCI for this exact reason, trying to ensure what we were being told was correct. We considered it unlikely that two different people would be so uninformed. Unfortunately, that seems to be exactly what happened. HGVC RCI has to better train their phone counselors about this filtering and how to respond to callers with this problem. This seems to be the root cause of the whole situation and something that HGVC and HGVC RCI have to address.

We have not made any follow up phone calls to HGVC RCI to see if any of this training has taken place. That will certainly be done in the future. However, at least at this point, if any problem is encountered, I know what is supposed to happen and will ensure that I press the counselor to find someone who is better trained!

I want to thank all of you for your support throughout this investigation, in particular; talent312 and alwaysonvac who provided the invaluable contact help.