• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reduced RCI availability to HGVC members??

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would call and ask about the specific resort you are interested in again. I still think the filtering in your case might have been unintentional and both RCI and HGVC are unaware or refusing to acknowledge that it happens.
They are telling you how the system is supposed to work. I do believe that is the case. But what they may be failing to acknowledge is the system doesn't always work the way it supposed to work. The question is can they book that resort for you. If so maybe it was just a part of their quality filtering system.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I would call and ask about the specific resort you are interested in again. I still think the filtering in your case might have been unintentional and both RCI and HGVC are unaware or refusing to acknowledge that it happens.
They are telling you how the system is supposed to work. I do believe that is the case. But what they may be failing to acknowledge is the system doesn't always work the way it supposed to work. The question is can they book that resort for you. If so maybe it was just a part of their quality filtering system.
Your concerns are valid, but in fact I went over these details with the HGVC RCI exec. She was even familiar with the specific resorts I pointed out and was a little surprised these were filtered. That is why she made the comment about the filtering sometimes taking out things that it should not. I also made this point with the HGVC exec. She accepted that point and was going to take it up with her upcoming exec meeting with RCI.

So yes, it makes no sense why any Gold Crown resort should be filtered. Just like it makes no sense that we should call 2 separate times and encounter counselors who had no idea of this problem. There are absolutely some problems that HGVC/HGVC RCI have to work out. I hope that my interaction with these 2 execs has gotten the ball rolling on the much needed corrective actions.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I very much appreciate your follow up on this.

So when we search the 'full' "Resort Directory" (not searching for availability) on the RCI site through the HGVC portal, is that filtered too? or is that the full unfiltered RCI directory?

i.e. this directory is accessed via the drop-down under "RCI Exchange Reservations" on the top right of the screen when you enter via the HGVC portal.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I very much appreciate your follow up on this.

So when we search the 'full' "Resort Directory" (not searching for availability) on the RCI site through the HGVC portal, is that filtered too? or is that the full unfiltered RCI directory?

i.e. this directory is accessed via the drop-down under "RCI Exchange Reservations" on the top right of the screen when you enter via the HGVC portal.
The RCI directory is UNFILTERED. This is verified because if you access RCI through your HGVC portal or by going to rci.com directly, and look at the RCI directory, in both cases the directory is the same! So, you can always see the full directory. You just have to call HGVC RCI if you are interested in something that is not readily available....

I will make one other point. The HGVC RCI exec pointed out that you can use the chat feature when doing your RCI search. These counselors are also supposed to be able to help you. And this can be done while you are on line doing your searching...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks @SHG for clarifying. This makes my life easier. :)

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the update. :thumbup:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
One more clarification: If I find a resort in the RCI directory and then click on "Available Units." Will that show all available units? or will that availability be filtered because I am searching via the HGVC portal?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
One more clarification: If I find a resort in the RCI directory and then click on "Available Units." Will that show all available units? or will that availability be filtered because I am searching via the HGVC portal?
It will be filtered. Resorts that HGVC considers not good enough will not show as available to you.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Cal Gal, it will NOT be filtered. If you are able to see the resort and availability, it is not filtered. The filtering eliminates these lesser resorts so you will not be able to see them.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are clicking on a particular resort you will either see it or not see it. If you don't see any available units it may mean there are none or it may be filtered out. If you see some units available at a particular resort you should see them all, they wouldn't filter out some and not others at a single resort. There are other factors that may also hold back inventory from your view. If a resort is 1 in 3 or 4 and you have been within that time you may not see availability even if there is availability.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
OK, after pondering your question for a minute, I can see opportunity for more clarification. When using the directory, you get to see ALL resorts that RCI has to offer. However, when you click for availability, if it shows availability, it will show all of the availability. The problem comes in if it shows no availability. In this case, you will not know if there is no availability because RCI has non available, or because it has been filtered. This is where the problem occurs. The only work around for this is calling HGVC RCI, or try using the chat feature...

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
If you are clicking on a particular resort you will either see it or not see it. If you don't see any available units it may mean there are none or it may be filtered out. If you see some units available at a particular resort you should see them all, they wouldn't filter out some and not others at a single resort. There are other factors that may also hold back inventory from your view. If a resort is 1 in 3 or 4 and you have been within that time you may not see availability even if there is availability.
tschwa2 and I are now on the same page....

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was about the chastise SHG for missing the obvious, when he caught it.

So... If a resort doesn't appear in a standard search, but is in the Directory...
The only way to know if it's available will be to call, but don't take "no" for an answer.
The CS rep may not "see" it either. You may have to ask them to contact RCI about it.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
or you can compare yourself if you have a non HGVC RCI account or you can ask on TUG for someone to check.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks all. Argghhh...I hate having to call for this and for available getaways. Very inefficient use of time.

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 2BR Penthouse Mountain View
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
OK, after pondering your question for a minute, I can see opportunity for more clarification. When using the directory, you get to see ALL resorts that RCI has to offer. However, when you click for availability, if it shows availability, it will show all of the availability. The problem comes in if it shows no availability. In this case, you will not know if there is no availability because RCI has non available, or because it has been filtered. This is where the problem occurs. The only work around for this is calling HGVC RCI, or try using the chat feature...

Where is the chat feature in the RCI portal? I'm logged in right now and do not see where there is a chat feature

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Where is the chat feature in the RCI portal? I'm logged in right now and do not see where there is a chat feature
I think when I was on the other night I saw a little box come up on my screen to the right that said chat. I’ll confirm after I have the kids in bed! Lol!

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I have confirmed that there is a little tab that to the right (see the graphic). However, note that this feature is only available during business hours, which does not include night time..... I have never used this feature so this might be a great item for someone to use and report back on....

Attachments

• RCI Chat.png
    RCI Chat.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 48

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I have confirmed that there is a little tab that to the right (see the graphic). However, note that this feature is only available during business hours, which does not include night time..... I have never used this feature so this might be a great item for someone to use and report back on....
Lol! By the time I had the kids in bed and went online to confirm it was there I couldn’t find it. I suspected it was only during business hours. Glad to see that confirmed.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Glad to know about the chat. Hopefully that should save some time instead of calling.

Last edited: