• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek just entered the exchange company game

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I for one have invested a lot of time into my timeshare strategy - everything from what to buy to where each week will get me the best results based on each exchange companies quirks.

My Island Park 1 bedroom, 4th of July week RW offered me 1280 points. For me, that is too low so I will not deposit it with them. I have in the past deposited it with RCI, II, SFX and Trading Places. I get the best results with RCI - so they will continue to get it until another exchange company does better.

I have other weeks that I purchased just because of the results with II. I have also exchanged with DAE & Interchange in Australia. I use the exchange companies intelligently - getting the best trade I can. If RW gets the inventory I want & gives me reasonable value I'm all for more options.

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
10 hours after my deposit, I have not seen my (now their) Myrtle Beach week. They have to re-confirm my deposit with my resort, though I can book any of their inventory now.

Proceeded to book a week in San Francisco for January. This week disappeared from me on Saturday and it resurfaced this late afternoon. Click the reserve button. The next screen says on hold by somebody else. Re-click but it disappeared again. It seems competition is there for inventory. There is another San Francisco week in December, but airfare is too expensive near Christmas.

I am seeing more weeks and more resorts. There are hundred of weeks in Australia, every where from Queensland to Victoria. It is time to learn Australia geography.

The problem is some of these resorts cannot be found in Tug resort reviews. Trip Advisors have limited information about them. Where can I find reviews to select the best resort?

More homework!!!!!

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancellations...

Cancellation policy:
"If you need to make changes to your reservation, or cancel completely, we will make every effort to accommodate you, but will be unable to credit your exchange fee or the RedWeek Points paid for the week, unless you have purchased the Cancellation Protection Option (CPO).

With the Cancellation Protection Option (just $25), offered at the point you make the reservation, you can cancel your reservation up to 24 hours before check-in, if necessary. Your account will be credited the RedWeek Points you originally paid for the reservation, and can be re-used up until their original expiration date. Your exchange fee, while not refunded, will be applied to your next exchange reservation, provided you book within 24 months of cancellation. You will need to repurchase CPO to have it apply to your next exchange."

Someone just alerted me to read RW's cancellation policy - Holy Cow!

Buy their Cancellation Protection Option for $25 and you can cancel up to 24 hours before check-in and get back ALL your Points which resume their original expiration time. You also get back your exchange fee by having it applied forward 2 years to the next exchange.

Ok, so now who's going to bellyache about this fantastic policy?

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Real person answered my email about lack of 2 bedroom red weeks in the usa.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback. We hope to expand our notification feature shortly to allow you to specify date ranges you are interested in for certain resorts and areas. We will announce this in a newsletter, so please watch out for it. Sounds like that would help with your planning.

Thanks,
Kylie

[jimking@cjsales.com - Mon Jun 18 14:51:43 2007]:

> i am very interested in your program but i need 2 bedroom sleep 6 red
> summer for the usa. i have kids in school. That's what i deposit and
> that's what i need to get back i could not find any suitable exchange
> on the entire list
>
> when you have more inventory i will gladly deposit
>
> thanks
>
>
> Jim King
> C J Sales
> 972-234-5761

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you all think Classmates.com is a successful operation?? These folks plunked down millions to buy redweek from the founders. I think they know the risks, have the web experience & are learning the marketplace. With millions upset with RCI, I think it is a great idea for a willing marketplace. Will redweek have as much inventory as RCI or II?? Probably not for a long while, but RCI started with a phone line & an index card file of exchange possibilities. Customer service(Lack of) & greediness will kill off RCI & leave the door open for a thriving redweek & DAE.

Here's a link to the section of the Redweek web site that lists the credentials of the gentlemen who own/operate Redweek. They were the original founders of Classmates.com. After developing and growing Classmates into a very successful web-based company, they sold it for big $$$$$ and moved on to create Redweek.com:

http://www.redweek.com/about/staff#conrads

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perry, nobody is bellyaching about anything. We were having an adult conversation. You seem a little over-anxious about this. They may succeed, they may not. Do we have to jump up and down and get as excited as you obviously are, or can some of us watch with skeptical interest before declaring them brilliant?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's been DAE's cancellation policy for a long time.

Cancellation policy:
"If you need to make changes to your reservation, or cancel completely, we will make every effort to accommodate you, but will be unable to credit your exchange fee or the RedWeek Points paid for the week, unless you have purchased the Cancellation Protection Option (CPO).

With the Cancellation Protection Option (just $25), offered at the point you make the reservation, you can cancel your reservation up to 24 hours before check-in, if necessary. Your account will be credited the RedWeek Points you originally paid for the reservation, and can be re-used up until their original expiration date. Your exchange fee, while not refunded, will be applied to your next exchange reservation, provided you book within 24 months of cancellation. You will need to repurchase CPO to have it apply to your next exchange."

Someone just alerted me to read RW's cancellation policy - Holy Cow!

Buy their Cancellation Protection Option for $25 and you can cancel up to 24 hours before check-in and get back ALL your Points which resume their original expiration time. You also get back your exchange fee by having it applied forward 2 years to the next exchange.

Ok, so now who's going to bellyache about this fantastic policy?

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perry, nobody is bellyaching about anything. We were having an adult conversation. You seem a little over-anxious about this. They may succeed, they may not. Do we have to jump up and down and get as excited as you obviously are, or can some of us watch with skeptical interest before declaring them brilliant?

Hey PA, grow a thicker skin!

Isn't that what you tell everyone?

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
I offered a Marriott Manor Club two bedroom, July 4th week 2008. They offered me 2017 points.

Given the Marriott priority I have with II, the fact that I would most likley get an AC, and the large inventory I get with II, I will stick with II. If Redweek gets a large inventory in the future I will reevaluate.

Ray

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guest certificates?

So here's a question:

How does RW handle guest certificates if there is a charge by the resort?

I'm assuming that RW get's a guest certificate with the name of the exchanger on it. If it's the policy of the management company to charge $25 or so for a guest certificate how would RW handle this? I'm assuming that there has got to be one timeshare that charges for this.

I did not see this as a separate, billable, item in their description of the new exchange rules.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
So here's a question:

How does RW handle guest certificates if there is a charge by the resort?

I'm assuming that RW get's a guest certificate with the name of the exchanger on it. If it's the policy of the management company to charge $25 or so for a guest certificate how would RW handle this? I'm assuming that there has got to be one timeshare that charges for this.

I did not see this as a separate, billable, item in their description of the new exchange rules.

All the fees charged by timeshares that I've heard of are collected directly from the exchanger when they check in.

DVC charges a fee, but it's collected at checkin. Likewise, I've heard of island timeshares that charge for utilities, and I've heard that some timeshares charge cleaning fees to exchangers, but in those cases they collect at checkin.

Another question that pops to mind, how does redweek verify that the room will be available when the exchanger checks in? Is there safeguards to make sure that the person hasn't also deposited it to RCI, or that the person is current on fees? And if there is a snafu, does Redweek have an emergency number to call, and will they try to make other arrangements for you?

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another question that pops to mind, how does redweek verify that the room will be available when the exchanger checks in? Is there safeguards to make sure that the person hasn't also deposited it to RCI, or that the person is current on fees? And if there is a snafu, does Redweek have an emergency number to call, and will they try to make other arrangements for you?

DAE is doing the verification for Redweek. I have deposited my week, which has not shown in RW inventory list, because DAE has to contact my resort to verify my deposit.

We are talking about trust. Your concern can happen to RW, DAE, TPI, RCI or II.

If you don't trust, don't exchange.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
DAE is doing the verification for Redweek. I have deposited my week, which has not shown in RW inventory list, because DAE has to contact my resort to verify my deposit.

We are talking about trust. Your concern can happen to RW, DAE, TPI, RCI or II.

If you don't trust, don't exchange.

Yes, you are correct. That's the hurdle RW has to get over. II and RCI are known quantities, trusted because the developer's support them and have contractual agreements with them that DAE doesn't.

In the case of properties that have exclusive agreements with RCI or II, the management companies would violate their contracts if they verify ownership to DAE.

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
PA, you are shooting all independents, not just RW. I guess lots of tuggers trust these independents; otherwise DAE, SFX, TPI won't last that long.

I don't worry about verification, but the right resort at the right time. During lunch break, I read all tug resort reviews of Australia. I will focus my search on Queensland.

My theory is I will get one week in Australia via RCI, II or DAE, but will get two plus via RW. Why not?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. That's the hurdle RW has to get over. II and RCI are known quantities, trusted because the developer's support them and have contractual agreements with them that DAE doesn't.

In the case of properties that have exclusive agreements with RCI or II, the management companies would violate their contracts if they verify ownership to DAE.

To the contrary, they would violate the rights of their members if they failed to do so, and this would be actionable in the courts under the consumer protection laws of most states.

The standard language of RCI contracts on exclusivity does not specifically cover verification, although some may want to interpret it that way. In any event, however, all of that exclusivity language almost certainly violates anti-trust laws, so RCI will never try to enforce it.

Further, management, whether a management company or a hired manager, is not who has the contract with RCI or II in the first place. It is the HOA or developer that does.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
PA, you are shooting all independents, not just RW. I guess lots of tuggers trust these independents; otherwise DAE, SFX, TPI won't last that long.

I don't worry about verification, but the right resort at the right time. During lunch break, I read all tug resort reviews of Australia. I will focus my search on Queensland.

My theory is I will get one week in Australia via RCI, II or DAE, but will get two plus via RW. Why not?

Peelboy,

Have a great time in Australia. Let us know how it works out for you.