• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Reef Ocean Club in Vero Beach, FL, II exchange] ruins 2nd vacation in about 5 years!

Rashtchr

Reaction score
7-15-12*Timeshare exchange? Stay away from Interval International-Go w/RCI!

Our vacation & current timeshare exchange: Emailed Interval International & resort@ approx 11pm last night regarding unsatisfactory conditions. There was a dead bug on the bed, some kind of black residue sprinkled under the 18" diameter table meant to function as a dinette at the foot of the bed, the scatter rugs did not look as though they had been vacuumed in a long time. The entire "studio" we were assigned at Reef Ocean Club in Vero Beach, Fl (& I do pre-vacation homework - older reviews were poor, but they were better in the past couple of years,) was 11' x 20' & in an old motel stretched right along Ocean Ave. These motel units were not like the units BEHIND and nearer the beach and were not the units featured on the banner as "Beautiful Waterfront Vacation Apartments Directly on the Beach" - DIRECTLY? We traded a 1200 sq. ft. townhouse in Charleston, fairly luxuriously decorated, for something we wouldn't have lived in when we got married 31 years ago? We drove 15 hours for this vacation, are in the middle of a job change, moving a home of 20 years, and this year was my husband's second major cancer surgery, and if anyone ever needed a relaxing vacation, it was us. Did Interval International care? Well, the THIRD person I spoke with after 30 minutes on hold did seem to, but she did all she could (I believe,) and her manager did NOT care. I gave fair warning that I would post this info on every travel site that would allow such information. So...here is the documentation. Take my advice: go with RCI if you have a timeshare exchange. I used to and am going back. They do not misrepresent properties, they vet their properties better, and they staff their customer service lines for longer hours.

Also, this is our second vacation in 5 years that II has mangled. They once put us in a sleazy hotel near Daytona that was over an all night karaoke bar. We left it that night. We did stay over last night in Vero, checked out this morning.

Lack of satisfactory disposition, details, and hold time follow:

10:02 phoned Interval intnational's customer svc line from website: Got
Internet support? Lady listened, then said she was escalating call to customer support, I would need to make sure & hold. I tried to give her my cell # in case we were disconnected during hold time, she didn't want, just told me to make sure and hold.

10:25*Got Dimitri at Shell vacations desk??? He stated he was not even customer service, no idea why call came to him, was sorry, he would transfer me.

10:39*Got Luisa, finally, a customer service rep. Told me she could refund exchange fee $149, can't do more, nothing else available in all of FL this week

10:44*told her I knew it wasn't her fault, but this is unsatisfactory, vacation week is ruined, want exch fee, week back, and membership fee for this year extended another year since this year's vacation is gone. She said she wasn't allowed to do both. i asked for transfer to mgr, no mgr avail, too busy, wkend. On hold. Luisa back 10:51, still can offer me only exch fee & week back, on hold again. This week is good ONLY until January 2013. I don't know that I will have a full week of vacation available again by then? Told her that & She told mgr to no avail.

10:56 Luisa back, same except $50 twd next exchange. She said she would post credit. Asked her to check coasts of NC, SC, GA - also nothing available, except for a studio in Orlando. We declined.

Told Luisa that I was incredibly unhappy with the arrangement, with her manager's lack of judgment, that her service had been very good, that my vacation week had been ruined. I would pursue posting negative comments about II on travel sites online.

Hung up at 11:01

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you found the resort conditions unacceptable, but exactly how did Interval ruin your vacation? And how much research did you really do? In Interval, this is just a standard resort (not Select or Premier) You even noted that "older reviews were poor", which even if newer reviews weren't as bad that should have lowered your expectations or given you pause in exchanging into this resort. And the member ratings on Interval's website for this resort are not great.

And if you think RCI is any different or better, this same resort trades in RCI (and is actually listed as Silver Crown there), and there are several negative reviews on the RCI website, including a particularly critical one from May 2011:

<<This "resort" is anything but a resort. There is no elevator to the 2nd floor, so you are at the mercy of your own strength (and age) to get your belongings to the room. The walkkways in front of the rooms on the second floor were filthy with dirt. When sitting outside we even had little "critters" that scampered about on the walkways outside my door. It is not a nice place to stay. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Don't waste your time.>>

Last edited:

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be thankful II is willing to refund the exchange fee. They're just a go-between agent. You're the one who chose to book the unit.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you write a review of the resort----it is THEM that is the place to assign blame.......

Pat

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I’m sorry that your vacation didn’t go as planned

krj9999 beat me to it :)

I'm also wondering how much investigation you put into this before selecting this resort.

The Reef Ocean Resort is affiliated with both RCI and Interval International (RCI code #3006 and II code: ROR).

In Interval International, this resort doesn’t have any II designation that it exceeds their affiliation requirements as a Select or Premier resort.
In RCI, this resort has a RCI Silver Crown resort recognition.

The Reef Ocean Resort website has a map that shows that the studio units sit further back from the ocean - http://www.reefoceanresort.com/Revised Site Map 2010.pdf

Their site also offers a virtual tour of their units - http://rtvpix.com/tour/RS/tour.view.new.php?utl=RS-1028-K8Z0WT-01

There are also reviews on Tripadvisor and RCI

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is people like you, Rashchtr, who give a bad rep to exchange companies. It is not their fault. You chose this resort despite researching. II has gone WAY over and beyond to accommodate your complaint. They had no need to return your exchange fees, week and another $50 towards your next exchange.

There is no misrepresentation by II. Per another TUGger this resort is also available for exchange thru RCI and it is listed as Silver Crown. You could have exchanged the same thru RCI and it would have been some level of misrepresentation by RCI.

I had stayed at a really crummy place exchanged thru RCI which I later researched and realized that they rent out their rooms for $30 a night all year around. I gave a bad review of the resort. Now RCI does not list that property for exchange anymore, and it is sold as Extra Vacations. Should RCI have vetted, yes, but it is also up to us to research before making a reservation.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Don't blame II

I agree with others and believe you did not do your homework. There is one review of that TS here on TUG and it warns you about the room sizes and their location.

I feel bad that you traded a nice unit for this one but a call to the front desk before you exchanged could have given you needed info about the units.

I think II is being generous with their offer to you. Sometimes you have to live with your mistakes and make the best to the situation.

bshmerlie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be thankful II is willing to refund the exchange fee. They're just a go-between agent. You're the one who chose to book the unit.

I agree they are both just exchange companies. It is up to each and every one of us to do diligent research on resorts we've never been to. If we do have a bad experience we must post it on every site we can to make sure other people dont have a similar experience.

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Interval ruins 2nd vacation in about 5 years!"

That is the title to your posting so I read it with a sympathetic ear to what I perceived as some wrong doing on the part of II.

Please explain what II did that ruined a vacation that you selected.

As others have said they have been very customer friendly by giving back your exchange fee yet you infer they were responsible for your bad vacation experience.:crash: :shrug:

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
It sounds as if you really needed the vacation, but 'Murphy's Law" kicked in with a bad selection at the worst time for you.
I agree that II was generous in refunding the exchange fee, giving your week back, and I think $50.
It was good that you notified II. Did the resort have the availability to move you to another unit....it does not sound like it.
I would have gone on a computer, headed for Getaways, and as of today there are 54 available all over Fla, only 1 for this week, but 53 others until the end of Aug. I don't know what your MF is for your Charleston t/s (since you have to factor in that cost for this week), but these are inexpensive. If your time is flexible, book one of these and maybe you can rent Charleston?
Also. it is possible to walk in to some as a direct rental right now even when there is no availability in II. I would call first. A wasted day and some more driving might get you the rest of your vacation. You still have your week back plus ex fee so you are not out that way.
One last thought....if you stay because you have to, have housekeeping come in for a thorough clean and change of linens.
Good luck......

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the timing of a vacation that didn't live up to your expectations was unfortunate but add me to the list of folks who feel that Interval treated you extremely well. Basically they gave you a full "refund" plus.

Really, what else could they do? Bump someone's confirmed week and give it to you to allow you to move? How would that be appropriate?

I truly hope that the circumstances in your life calm down - that might help make this seem not so traumatic. And may I respectfully suggest that TUG can be a valuable resource for those who join. Access to the resort reviews is a great thing as you'll get timeshare reviews from some pretty savvy timeshare users. Perhaps coming back to research a future exchange before confirming might be helpful.

Take care.

Bev

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Sorry abt your bad experience

I'm sorry abt your bad experience. Your life is full of stress and your expectations obviously did not match what you found. Your have my sympathies. :bawl: My following response is not a criticism but is meant to provide you with advice to help insure better vacations in the future.

I don't think that you got a like-for-like value on your exchange - - 1200 s.f. for an efficiency. Please don't feel that my comment is a criticism. I guess it addresses your unhappiness of depositing a large TS and getting a very small timeshare. But, perhaps it is a consequence of the high-demand season of your stay. Unless your TS has a very poor rating, you probably should have been able to get a higher ranking and better trade. II is currently selling the hotel sized Getaway at this hotel/resort for something under $270 for Sept. That is kind of a potential warning sign. The member reviews gave the unit and the resort only a 3 star - - that was a warning sign. On Tripadvisor there were a number of positive comments but the shape of the rating distribution (from Excellent to disappointed) was very unusual - - it was a "U" or a "J". There were a lot of people at both ends of the scale and few in the middle. That was a moderately significant warning sign. An ideal shaped curve would the most responses at the excellent and a quickly taper down to nearly nothing at the disappointed end. I think that was the biggest warning sign that you were at risk of having problems.

Tropical areas have bugs. The resorts spray but some bugs fly and die in the unit or the steps leading up to the unit. I think that over the past 5 years I have stayed at some really top notch places and found perhaps 3 or 4 places where I ran across a cockroach or dark colored bug (dead IIRC). I quietly picked it up and disposed of it so the DW wouldn't know and/or be freaked out. When we go to the desert areas we often get crickets that sneak in and which get the "foot-stomp" treatment. (The DW isn't freaked out by crickets, thank goodness). So while a dead "singleton" bug is not pleasant, it isn't reason for a big concern either. (BTW, I also check the bedding for bedbugs...).

Suggestions for the future:
1. Focus only on units that are II gold star rated. Treat yourself. You and your husband need/deserve a positive and relaxing vacation.
2. Don't go to timeshares where the II member ratings were less that a 4
3. Watch out for Tripadvisor rating curves look like a "U" or a "J" or are relatively flat.
4. Treat yourself to at least a full 1 BR. I read too many reviews of people who are unhappy with a little efficiency. (I wonder if the little efficiencies sometimes don't get the same level of attention as the more expensive units???)
5. Be careful when you select the potential exchange candidates on an II request. If you list a low-rated resort hoping that you won't get it, you shouldn't include it on your list.
6. Perhaps restrict your future choices to places with names like Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, Hilton, etc. While some of the converted 2 story little motels might be "quaint" and very nice, we try to stay at places that have a "brand" name, even if it means traveling off-season.
7. Even in "brand" name resorts you can have problems. Try to give the resort staff a chance to fix the problem, especially if it means that you have nowhere else to go and your vacation is at risk of abruptly ending.

BTW, you did the right thing bringing II into the mess as quickly as you did. While they couldn't fix the problem or find you suitable alternative lodging, they at least did what they could in terms of refunding some of your costs, etc. :cheer:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Looks like this is one of those one-and-done posters who really doesn't care what others opinions might be. I don't think they're interested in sticking around to learn how they can avoid this experience again and I'm reasonably certain they will have a similar experience down the road with RCI. It looks to me as if they haven't learned how to select a good resort for there exchanges and I don't believe they'll be asking for advice on these forums.

Instead, they appear to be more happy with corporate blackmail, demanding they get what they want or they'll spread bad words about a company everywhere they can on the internet. It's just another one of those things I read and realize it was more for entertainment than educational.

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like this is one of those one-and-done posters who really doesn't care what others opinions might be. I don't think they're interested in sticking around to learn how they can avoid this experience again and I'm reasonably certain they will have a similar experience down the road with RCI. It looks to me as if they haven't learned how to select a good resort for there exchanges and I don't believe they'll be asking for advice on these forums.

Instead, they appear to be more happy with corporate blackmail, demanding they get what they want or they'll spread bad words about a company everywhere they can on the internet. It's just another one of those things I read and realize it was more for entertainment than educational.

Agreed. If the original poster's intention was to make me not want to do business with II, they failed. :shrug: In fact, I think now that if anything, I WOULD use II now!

Seems like all I'd have to do, to get a free exchange, is complain about a few dead bugs, black residue and dirty throw rugs. :rofl: (I would never do that, by the way.)

II seems to have gone far above and beyond what they needed to do to make an unhappy customer happy here.:whoopie:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would have been disappointed with this unit too, but this could have all been prevented by doing your due diligence.

*I changed the title to reflect the fact that it is the resort the OP is unhappy with, because as far as I can see, II hasn't done anything wrong...