• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Car and Flights Between Islands -- How Far In Advance?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We are headed to Maui and then Kauai, traveling between the islands on Jan. 27th. Is there a 'best time" to make the flight and two rental car reservations? We already have our flights to get us there and back (over on American First Class, approx. $500 each sounded too good not to book, and on Hawaiian in coach, at least they feed us, coming home).

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
For rental cars I make the reservations as soon as I know my travel plans. I book through Costco, and then also now through AutoSlash. Then I keep checking back (or in the case of AutoSlash they keep checking) to see if a better price comes available.

We don't often fly inter-island so I can't really help with that. I'm the kind though that tends to book everything sooner rather than later.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
I booked our rental car for Maui and Kauai as soon as we made our flight reservation. The good thing was we got really great rates! The bad thing...the airlines have changed some of our flight numbers and flight times, which impacted on other flights and our car reservations. We need to pick up the car 1 1/2 hours earlier in Kauai (and return 2 hours earlier). I have called the car rental company (BUDGET) a few times politely asking them to change the pick up time and customer service wants to increase the weekly rental rate to almost $300 MORE!! Hoping I can find a better or similar rate as we get closer (with a different car company!).
As far as the inter island flights, I waited a few months to book with Hawaiian Airlines and the price went up and were unable to get our 1st choice 5-6 months out. I would book as soon as you know your plans.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I booked our rental car for Maui and Kauai as soon as we made our flight reservation. The good thing was we got really great rates! The bad thing...the airlines have changed some of our flight numbers and flight times, which impacted on other flights and our car reservations. We need to pick up the car 1 1/2 hours earlier in Kauai (and return 2 hours earlier). I have called the car rental company (BUDGET) a few times politely asking them to change the pick up time and customer service wants to increase the weekly rental rate to almost $300 MORE!! Hoping I can find a better or similar rate as we get closer (with a different car company!).
As far as the inter island flights, I waited a few months to book with Hawaiian Airlines and the price went up and were unable to get our 1st choice 5-6 months out. I would book as soon as you know your plans.
Check Costco (if you are a member) and AutoSlash to see if you can find a cheaper car rental rate. I usually found that the "sweet spot" for the lowest rate was about 6 months ahead, but last year I double checked a few days before our trip and found the rental price had dropped quite a bit.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are headed to Maui and then Kauai, traveling between the islands on Jan. 27th. Is there a 'best time" to make the flight and two rental car reservations? We already have our flights to get us there and back (over on American First Class, approx. $500 each sounded too good not to book, and on Hawaiian in coach, at least they feed us, coming home).

We booked our interisland flight soon after making our primary flight reservations, which was about 10-11 months before check in. We like to book early. As I recall from prior years, the fares don't seem to change. We also decided to book first class interisland as it was only $50 more and a checked bag is free. Going between Maui and Kauai would make it even more worthwhile. It's worth considering.

Enjoy your time on the islands.

Best regards.

Mike

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Hawaiian has discount fares for interisland flights, but they only allow so many, so it's good to book as soon as you can. If you have any miles with Delta, United, or American, you may be use them for interisland flights for about 7500 miles/segment. but those disappear quickly too. The earlier you book, the more likely you be able to get favorable flight times, too. Most people prefer the mid-day flights, so those go first.

Finally, if you get a Hawaiian credit card you'll get up to 50,000 mile bonus, and you'll be able book many future interisland flights, and also get free luggage.

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/barclaycard-hawaiian-airlines-credit-card/

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Last year we each got our own frequent flyer number from Hawaiian in order to get a free checked bag. Comments on our tickets home from our trip next year which were booked with our frequent numbers seem to indicate we can check a bag for $25. We'd thought signing up for the FF number always got us a free bag check ( not an issue going, but an issue between islands and home after shopping), but it seems to have been a one time deal??

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Last year we each got our own frequent flyer number from Hawaiian in order to get a free checked bag. Comments on our tickets home from our trip next year which were booked with our frequent numbers seem to indicate we can check a bag for $25. We'd thought signing up for the FF number always got us a free bag check ( not an issue going, but an issue between islands and home after shopping), but it seems to have been a one time deal??
Frequent flyer status usually does not give you free luggage. If you have a credit card associated with the airline most of them provide a free checked bag as one of the benefits. It sounds like you may have gotten the free bag as a perk of sign up, but just for the one time.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Which inter-island airline do most prefer or do most find cheapest? Islandair? Hawaiian Air? Mokulele air? Prices seem to be about $65-70 per ticket one way now. I cannot recall, but will they get any cheaper?

Anyone ever try Priceline?

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
We book our rental car as soon as we book our flight through Discount Hawaii Car Rental. We keep checking back periodically, because the reservation can be cancelled at anytime. So if the fare drops it can be rebooked at the lower price with no penalty. I just rebooked tonight for a late August early September rental ad save $130 on the rental.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Inter-island air - If going from HNL RT to the other islands I usually do Hawaiian. Easier to transfer to/from mainland air and rates are pretty similar, with more flights as a backup if things get delayed.

I watched rates a while and just booked in May for next Feb and got about $150 RT to Maui, including taxes. If I do a two island trip next time I'll probably look closely at Mokulele (based on recommendations from locals) for the Maui - Kauai leg, and possibly Kauai - HNL leg as it bypasses TSA and is essentially a low level tour between the islands. Number of folks in your party and number/weight of bags can be an issue on the commuter planes.

Fares probably vary more by time of day than by airlines. Getting out of HNL between 12-2 is always expensive as that's when so many mainland flights land.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Hopper app for flights
AutoSlash for rental cars
These tools help make sure you time your reservations well to get the best price

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
For rental cars I make the reservations as soon as I know my travel plans. ...
As soon as we know we are going we start booking something... through Costco to start and then anywhere else we can find. Then we recheck frequently as prices go up and down on a frequent basis.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
The baggage discount for HA members is fairly new.

Since air is the only method of travel between the major islands for everyone, including Hawaiians, the flights between the islands are frequent. If it was a holiday or high season, I'd make intraisland reservations right away. Otherwise, you can wait a few months, but if you want the most convenient flights, you shouldn't wait too long.

For those flying to or from another island on your arrival or departure day, I'd highly recommend making your intraisland flight on the same ticket. It's often more expensive to do this, but the way airlines are changing flights and flight times, it is the least stressful way of ensuring that your flight times match up. If you book them separately, not only will you be on the hook for change fees should your airline change your arrival/departure time significantly, but you won't be able to check your luggage through to your final destination at your departure city. That'll mean you'll have to fetch your luggage from baggage claim once you land, and then go back through Ag/TSA again, a major hassle. (Ask me how I know.)

But since the OPer seems to be flying to Kauai in the middle of his trip, my recommendation is to book no later than 4 or 5 months out so that he can book the most convenient flights. Most hotels have an 11am or noon check-out (and many timeshares are 10am - ugh), while check-in isn't until 3 or 4pm, so I always try to book a 2 - 4pm flight. After check-out, we usually enjoy a nice lunch somewhere and then head to the airport. By the time we arrive and pick-up our rental car, it's time to check in to our new hotel. (However, morning and midday are the most hectic times at the airport as well. Evening flights are often cheaper and TSA lines are much shorter.)

Rental car reservations I make right away, then I keep checking to see if I can beat that price. Be sure to check out all classes of cars, too, because they will adjust the prices based on inventory. For instance, one year, a minivan was way less expensive than a mid-sized SUV. Well, okay, we can drive a minivan.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
To the OP: Reserve the car as early as you want and periodically check to see if rates go down.
And here's a tip: DO NOT make the mistake of making the pickup/drop off time be as close to your flight time as possible.
Let's say you have a 6PM arrival in Hawaii and a noon flight back to the mainland.
When you reserve the car have the pickup time be 3pm and the drop off be 3pm.
Do this in case your flight time changes. You are giving yourself a buffer and not adding to your rental period.

Let's say you find out your flight home gets delayed by 2 hours, and you decide to drop off the car a bit late. Since you didn't give yourself a buffer, rather than just charging you for a couple of extra hours, the rental agency will readjust your entire weekly rate, which could double your rental cost. I found this out the hard way at Alamo. My $200 renal turned into $425 because I picked up the car 1 hour EARLIER than expected. I complained (nicely) and they were willing to charge me $250 which I thought was reasonable.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
HNL to Kapalua via Mokulele for our needs in February are currently $53 per person. Pretty cheap!

Anyone have experience with Mokulele airlines?

How about flying into Kapalua airport (close to Kaanapali)?

Sounds like car rentals are outside Kapalua airport, but can be arranged. How does that work?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
HNL to Kapalua via Mokulele for our needs in February are currently $53 per person. Pretty cheap!

Anyone have experience with Mokulele airlines?

How about flying into Kapalua airport (close to Kaanapali)?

Sounds like car rentals are outside Kapalua airport, but can be arranged. How does that work?
Have been tempted to fly into the Kapalua airport. Will try it in the future. That's a great price! The car rental rates are comparable to those in Kahului, if you were to fly into that airport directly from your home airport. There are shuttles that take you to the car rental offices, and they are very close to Kaanapali, about 10 minutes away. I guess it depends on whether you want to drive to Kaanapali from Kahului (about 45 minutes), or go through the changing of your flights route. Time-wise to your final destination it's probably the same either way. CJ

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Have been tempted to fly into the Kapalua airport. Will try it in the future. That's a great price! The car rental rates are comparable to those in Kahului, if you were to fly into that airport directly from your home airport. There are shuttles that take you to the car rental offices, and they are very close to Kaanapali, about 10 minutes away. I guess it depends on whether you want to drive to Kaanapali from Kahului (about 45 minutes), or go through the changing of your flights route. Time-wise to your final destination it's probably the same either way. CJ

Thanks. We are staying a week on Oahu, then a second week on Maui. Departure to mainland is on American Airlines via Kahului. So, I really just need to inter-island one-way from HNL to Maui. On Maui, we are staying in Kaanapali. The lower price of Mokulele intrigues me (family of 4) and flying into Kapalua might be nice given it's proximity to Kaanapali where we are staying. Saves me the 45 min trip from Kahului to Kaanapali. Sounds like there are shuttles from Kapalua airport to the rental car agencies which are between the Kapalua airport and Kaanapali? Other than taking the shuttle to the car rental agency....any other gotcha's I need to think about in regards to Mokulele or Kapalua airport?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks. We are staying a week on Oahu, then a second week on Maui. Departure to mainland is on American Airlines via Kahului. So, I really just need to inter-island one-way from HNL to Maui. On Maui, we are staying in Kaanapali. The lower price of Mokulele intrigues me (family of 4) and flying into Kapalua might be nice given it's proximity to Kaanapali where we are staying. Saves me the 45 min trip from Kahului to Kaanapali. Sounds like there are shuttles from Kapalua airport to the rental car agencies which are between the Kapalua airport and Kaanapali? Other than taking the shuttle to the car rental agency....any other gotcha's I need to think about in regards to Mokulele or Kapalua airport?
I'm not sure if you already addressed this but if you rent a car in Kaanapali, and plan to leave form Kahului (which I think I saw somewhere) are you planning on picking up the rental car in one place and dropping in another? Or finding alternate transportation to the Kahalui airport. You need to figure those costs in.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The drop-off fee varies depending on the rental company. Looking at some examples, I noticed that Enterprise charged approx. $20 for dropping off the car in Kahului, while Alamo charged approx. $50. As Luanne mentioned, be sure to figure that cost in. $20 seems quite reasonable, but I've seen much higher with other companies.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I'm not sure if you already addressed this but if you rent a car in Kaanapali, and plan to leave form Kahului (which I think I saw somewhere) are you planning on picking up the rental car in one place and dropping in another? Or finding alternate transportation to the Kahalui airport. You need to figure those costs in.

I would pickup in Kapalua and drop off in Kahului.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I would pickup in Kapalua and drop off in Kahului.
So again, just a reminder to figure those costs of the drop off at another airport into your total costs.