• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Car on Maui

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I just checked Costco car rental prices and the prices have come down some. Not to the price I had previously booked a,t but not as outrageous as they have been for a while now. (At least for the dates I looked at.)

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It just shows that everyone has different experiences. For the rentals we've had the last couple of years AutoSlash has come through with the best pricing. I currently have one reservation for May in Vancouver (my every disappearing one with Budget) made through Costco. I have registered it with AutoSlash. They have come up with a cheaper price, but it was with a company I'm not familiar with and didn't want to chance.

Yeah, but I want all those savings too. :(

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yeah, but I want all those savings too. :(
Not sure I understand. You want the lower price with an "unknown" company, but not through that company?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Not sure I understand. You want the lower price with an "unknown" company, but not through that company?

I knew that sounded confusing. I just want to get the savings that you and some of the others have mentioned through AutoSlash. I just haven’t had any luck.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I knew that sounded confusing. I just want to get the savings that you and some of the others have mentioned through AutoSlash. I just haven’t had any luck.
Got it.

I don't know why some of us are seeing better pricing, and savings, through AutoSlash and others aren't. Since it doesn't cost anything to use it, keep trying. :)

oj777

Reaction score
I dont know if I just got really lucky or what. Back in February I booked with Priceline Express Deals for a car rental from OGG airport for 8 days for my upcoming trip in April.

Total cost for 8 days for an economy car: $192 CAD (roughly $150 USD). After paying in Cadian dollars Priceline revealed the rental is with Hertz at OGG airport.

Usually I don't take the risk with Priceline Express or bidding because you don't find out the rental company until after you pay, but in this case the savings was roughly 60% lower than what Costco or Autoslash was quoting me.

Costs broken down:

Rental Car Cost: CAD 80 (8 x CAD 10.00)
Taxes & Fees: CAD 112.83
Total Charged: CAD 192.83

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fact that Costco has a free second driver , rather than a spouse driving for free makes a large difference. I often have a friend or family member other than spouse, as my plus one.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
It just shows that everyone has different experiences. For the rentals we've had the last couple of years AutoSlash has come through with the best pricing. I currently have one reservation for May in Vancouver (my every disappearing one with Budget) made through Costco. I have registered it with AutoSlash. They have come up with a cheaper price, but it was with a company I'm not familiar with and didn't want to chance.
Often as you land in the airport you can recheck and at that point we get even better offers from auto/slash. Most times they are our best bet but not always.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have never thought of this before, but when you have insurance with your credit card, and you let someone else drive your vehicle, what really happens if your friend gets into an accident? I would bet the extra driver fee is just a ruse to get more money. I would bet it doesn't matter who was driving the car to the police and to the credit card company.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I have never thought of this before, but when you have insurance with your credit card, and you let someone else drive your vehicle, what really happens if your friend gets into an accident? I would bet the extra driver fee is just a ruse to get more money. I would bet it doesn't matter who was driving the car to the police and to the credit card company.

The rental car contract doesn't allow you unlimited use of the vehicle for the period specified. It allows the listed or authorized drivers to operate the vehicle for the period of rental. It's a contract. If you violate the contract, you are responsible for what happens next.... Which means that any terms specified on the contract (insurance waivers etc...) may be invalidated by the breach of contract.

Could you get your credit card to pay the damages anyway? Maybe. Some tales say yes. Depends on state law and familial/policy status.
Could you get your insurance company to cover the damages less deductible? Maybe, especially if a covered family member on your policy. Again, state law and familial status, policy language and court ruling.
Could you get somebody to pay all the 'loss of use' and 'loss of value' charges for the accident. Probably not.

Florida actually FORCED GEICO to pay an injury/damages claim to the victims of an 'unauthorized driver' that killed/injured some minors. Question about policy language concerning 'temporary substitute' vs 'not-owned' status. But, that was in the case of wrongful death etc...

Long and short: you will be responsible for damages and liability. Who will pay the money owed.......credit card, insurance or you....is up for grabs.

Oh, and the only way to get coverage after the accident--at least in some cases--may be to file charges against the driver for unauthorized use. (theft)

Not worth it. Too many ways to cover the extra driver for free!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Often as you land in the airport you can recheck and at that point we get even better offers from auto/slash. Most times they are our best bet but not always.
I also found on a rental last year I think, that when I checked a couple of days before the rental was supposed to start the rates had gone down. I had always found, or at least assumed, that they wouldn't drop so close to the rental. But following the advice of another TUGGER, I checked. I keep forgetting to do that now though.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Rob, thanks for that. :)

I would think one's own insurance would kick in for driving a rental car, even if it was not rented in your name. I just think it's odd that a rental car company could charge for another person to drive a car, when they are 1) insured, and 2) a legal driver.

Rentals are just cheaper for Maui on SFX and RCI lately. Since I have way more points than I need in RCI, I booked my 8/20-9/3 rental for my points, which was about $650 total with taxes. Rick will do all of the driving. :) I could have gotten the car for $600, but my points made it a little more.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Rob, thanks for that. :)

I would think one's own insurance would kick in for driving a rental car, even if it was not rented in your name. I just think it's odd that a rental car company could charge for another person to drive a car, when they are 1) insured, and 2) a legal driver.

Rentals are just cheaper for Maui on SFX and RCI lately. Since I have way more points than I need in RCI, I booked my 8/20-9/3 rental for my points, which was about $650 total with taxes. Rick will do all of the driving. :) I could have gotten the car for $600, but my points made it a little more.

So, if you loan your personal car to someone......and they wreck it, your insurance will cover the damages/injuries/lawsuits etc.... Your insurance, not theirs.

In the case of the rental car, the company is not 'loaning' or authorizing anybody but those named on the contract to operate the car. Therefore, the purchased coverage (from the rental car company) only covers the authorized drivers. Further, while your insurance company will cover you to operate a 'temporary' or 'non-owned' car, these coverages (from your insurance company) do not normally apply to 'unauthorized' drivers. In at least one case, the courts have forced the issue (due to death/injury of a minor and liability issues).

When an unauthorized person operates a car that they do NOT have legal permission to operate--from the owner--then that 'unauthorized' person's insurance will likely NOT cover damages/liability for the vehicle or accidents, because the insured was operating the vehicle without knowledge/permission from the owner (rental car company). It is very analogous to 'stealing' a car and asking your insurance company to cover the damage when you wreck it. The glitch here is not so apparent: a 'temporary substitute' vehicle--think service loaner from insurance or bodyshop or dealership--is a car that you would use as though it were owned by you. So, as the temporary owner, you have more control and authority over the vehicle. As a non-owned car (rental) intended specifically to be a short-term rental and not a substitute for your permanent car, you have less control/authority over that car. It's all in the lawyer's details and wording of your policy of course.

Enough of that. What's the point? If an unauthorized driver--not a family member or legally protected driver (partner, spouse etc....)--wrecks a rental car, you have an uphill battle to prove who is as fault, who will pay and what charges will be covered. Lots of headaches.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have rented many rental cars since 1996. We rent a lot now that we are retired, and really for at least the last 12 years. We spend a lot of money on rental cars, and I don't begrudge the rental car companies for making a buck.

So today I was playing around with Kayak searches. I found a Maui two-week car rental 2/23-3/9/2019 for $343 (with taxes included) for a car at Dollar through Holiday Car. When I went to book it through the link, the website showed the prices, then it asked me to enter the dates again. I couldn't enter dates that far ahead on their site, so no car. That was weird.

Rick was rear-ended this last trip from The Holyland Experience going back to Cypress Harbour. It was a four-hour ordeal, the kid who hit us was arrested for not having a DL. The kid was so sweet, but I guess it's a felony to drive without a license in FL. My stepdad was with us, and he is 83. I was worried about him only.

That was the only accident we have ever had on vacation. Knock on wood. Chase Sapphire Reserve is ideal for car rentals. Another use for my beloved CSR.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you are ever going to be in an accident with a rental car, be sure you are out of the country. We've had two minor scrapes (no other car involved) in Canada with rental cars. The insurance on my credit cards (first one with Capital One, second one with B of A) covered the entire thing, no need to report to my insurance company at all.

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
Picked up my dodge caravan today at enterprise (OGG). Old reservation and $607 for sat-sun (9 day reservation). No one there and great service. Our friend rented a small suv from budget (also OGG-don’t know the price) and waited through really long lines over an hour to get her car. Could be a fluke but I’m sticking to enterprise. Current pricing is $1100 before tax for same timeframe so glad I booked it months ago.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Picked up my dodge caravan today at enterprise (OGG). Old reservation and $607 for sat-sun (9 day reservation). No one there and great service. Our friend rented a small suv from budget (also OGG-don’t know the price) and waited through really long lines over an hour to get her car. Could be a fluke but I’m sticking to enterprise. Current pricing is $1100 before tax for same timeframe so glad I booked it months ago.

The key with Budget is to sign up for their free Fastbreak program. Bypass the line and get your keys and go straight to your car. Never had to wait behind more than one or two people in the Fastbreak line.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just back from Maui this morning. We managed an INT SUV (Jeep Cherokee Latitude) for a week for 283.00 all in with Budget through Costco. I signed up for Fastbreak during my booking and rebooking period. My gosh, that was great. Nothing like just walking ahead of the masses and driving away. My strategy, though not for everyone, is Hotwire and Costco. Hotwire because they are relentless in emailing you EVERYDAY to show you the current rates on your same dates. I click the email, see if anything has changed, then go over to Costco to compare. Now, I'm very OCD about this, I'll look and book and rebook every darn day if I have to. As previously mentioned, you can hold as many reservations as you like until you find the one that suits you and then cancel the rest. Sounds like Autoslash does this for you, but I don't mind the work. Sort of like hunting down that perfect exchange. I enjoy the rush. I did notice Hotwire was throwing about some REALLY good rates 24-48 hours before...less than 200.00 but the cars were with Advantage or Dollar and I didn't want to experiment with companies I had never used, so I passed. Your mileage may vary but that's how I do it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Recently we rented a car from Alamo in Vegas. The salesman at the counter gave me a really hard sell that any damages would be billed directly to the credit card and not handled by insurance because "this is Nevada.' When I said that we have primary coverage through our credit card, he said, "we don't take insurance anymore."

I ignored him and declined their extortion price of $26/day insurance, but he had me wondering if I had gotten in an accident, would we be covered by the primary insurance on our chase reserve credit card (which would be the same card they would bill BTW.)

Any thoughts on this? or is this just the latest sales gimmick to convince us to buy insurance we don't need?
Check your credit card coverage. You should be able to find it somewhere under benefits. What I found with my credit card was that if the accident happened in the U.S. we would have needed to get our automobile insurance company involved. I don't know if that meant the credit card insurance would pay the deductible.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Check your credit card coverage. You should be able to find it somewhere under benefits. What I found with my credit card was that if the accident happened in the U.S. we would have needed to get our automobile insurance company involved. I don't know if that meant the credit card insurance would pay the deductible.

You don't have to get your automobile insurer involved IF your credit card has Primary Coverage. Most credit cards with rental automobile insurance coverage have Secondary Coverage meaning it will pay whatever your own automobile insurance company does not pay. I know of a couple of cards with Primary Coverage: Chase Sapphire Reserve and the top-of-the-line Chase United Airlines card. Both of those have $400+ annual fees.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was doing one of my standard re-search for OGG car rentals on Costco, and it stated that Budget no longer participates in the Costco car rental program.
I already have a Budget reservation from months ago - I hope it is still valid.

Also, having performed searches for LIH and OGG for years - the car rental prices have soared.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I was doing one of my standard re-search for OGG car rentals on Costco, and it stated that Budget no longer participates in the Costco car rental program.
I already have a Budget reservation from months ago - I hope it is still valid.

Also, having performed searches for LIH and OGG for years - the car rental prices have soared.
Based on the posts I've read on Trip Advisor's forums, everyone who has/had an existing Budget reservation via Costco was fine. Still, I'd probably call Budget in Maui to confirm for my own peace of mind.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Based on the posts I've read on Trip Advisor's forums, everyone who has/had an existing Budget reservation via Costco was fine. Still, I'd probably call Budget in Maui to confirm for my own peace of mind.

Good to know.

Surprised not more people aren’t discussing the large increase in rental vehicle costs in 2018 as compared to previous years. I have plenty of examples of this.

An extreme example is I have a convertible reserved for LIH that is (and has been) now 3 times more!

Others are up 50%+ from my current reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Not all of us have experienced that, to be honest.

My previous post from page 2:
My last five rentals in Maui (oldest to newest):

• Hertz, convertible, 10 days, September, $505 ($51/day)
  • Alamo, midsize, 7 days, September, $267 ($38/day)
  • Thrifty, intermediate, 7 days, February, $257 ($37/day)
  • Budget, standard, 7 days, September, $200 ($29/day)
  • Budget, standard, 10 days, June, $389 ($39/day)
Minus the POS Mustang convertible that we rented years ago, our rates really haven't been that bad at all. The above prices are final totals, after all fees and taxes.