TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Rental Car on Maui

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by LA_Transplant, Nov 26, 2017.

1. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    My 2018 rentals are also low - but new searches (checked every couple of days) these same rentals are 50% and greater.

Have you looked at what they are now?

I have a convertible (17 days in June: LIH) for $941 and now ~$2700 !!! (and has been ~$2700 for at least 2 months)

That is an extreme example.

I have a 14 day convertible for OGG (Sept) for $573. Now ~$1400 !!! up from ~$900. I have made a convertible OGG reservation for over 5 years in Sept (same time period) and has run around $280-$300 per week.

I have more examples.
    AutoSlash has not come close to my current Costco rentals for my LIH or OGG rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. NTP66

NTP66 TUG Member

I always book 9 or 10 months in advance, and check pricing every Tuesday. Prices are higher right now for June, but I'd expect that, to be honest. Discount Hawaii Car Rental has shown relatively consistent pricing for the past 4 months or so, as well. I haven't been recording the prices, but if I had to guess I'd say that the same car is now about $50-75 higher than it was a few months ago.

3. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    I also make mine way in advance, and glad I have. I also track every few days to get the drops (which I have), but for months now these prices have gone up without dropping.

I don’t go to Kauai in June normally (usually Sept in odd years) - so perhaps this is normal... but, we go to Maui every Sept - and my comparisons for 3 vehicle types (convertible, Int SUV and Std car) are much (much) higher than past years.
    And have not dropped, and AutoSlash has not come close at least for Alamo and Budget (these are the only ones I have used).

slip likes this.
  4. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    There has been a drop in Costco Car Rental prices for LIH and OGG.

5. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 20 wks: Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks
    I haven’t noticed anything for January 2019 yet, do my dates anyway.

6. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Pays to check frequently - I used the Costco App now that I am not on a computer regularly anymore.

I am at ~$52/day for LIH and ~$37/day for OGG for Int SUV.
    And $55/day and $41/day for Convertible

The current convertible prices are much (much) more - liking going to go with Int SUV for north Kauai, and convertible for Maui

slip likes this.
  7. slip

Resorts Owned:
    Yep, I have the app too. It helps me check more often. Best I have right now is $335 for a week in an intermediate both on Maui and Kauai.

8. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Our LIH Int SUV dropped again.
    AutoSlash (for Alamo and Budget) has not beaten Costco. $840 for 17 days.

9. slip

Resorts Owned:

I have mine entered in AutoSlash also but I have never had any luck through them. Right now I have both Kauai and Maui through Costco but both $335 for a week in an intermediate. I keep watching.:)

10. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    So the other day I started shopping for our car rental on Maui for August 4-18, 2018. Most companies including Costco were running at just under/over $1,000 for the two weeks. I rechecked this morning and prices were still around $1,000. I went to Discount Hawaiian Car Rental. I got a car (Yaris) for $500 For the 2 weeks. It was funny on Costco the cheapest car was a 4 door Jeep at about $980 For the two weeks.

For the first time we are staying in Kaanapali. All our precious stays were in Kihei. We are spending one week at DRI Kaanapali Beach Club and one week at Hona Koa that we got through Club Select through Diamond. We were suppose to be going to Molokai (1 week) and Maui (2 weeks) in October but without my participation Patti let a "friend" talk her into New Orleans vice Hawaii with the "friend." Patti I have had had a long talk about while we may invite "friend" to travel with us, she has no say in where we decide to travel. Patti knows to never let this happen again. But then I had a whole lot of Diamond Points that were going to go unused and lost this year. So the unscheduled trip to Hawaii in August.

11. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Dropped another $10 ($830)
    and then just popped up to $930.

Doubt I will see lower than $830 ($49/day for Int SUV), but will continue surveillance - Costco App takes <1 min

12. NTP66

NTP66 TUG Member

Costco still can't touch my rate at Budget (direct). They have been $100 total higher since I started planning the trip. AutoSlash actually did find one rate better ($10 cheaper), but it was with Advantage who doesn't have anything equivalent to FastBreak.