• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting a "Home Resort" and impact of combining/banking SO from multiple mandatory resorts

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes. I am not speaking for myself but someone else who is a victim of this.

VacationForever: Please clarify - are you saying that you personally know someone who was TURNED AWAY AT CHECK-IN, at a Vistana resort, because they rented a Staroption reservation???

This would be very surprising because:

-Vistana already said that they would deal with this issue with the OWNER, and they would not punish guests.

-The front desk doesn't get involved in this.

-Long before this point, the owner would be notified that his reservation was cancelled.

-It's never been reported on TUG.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, let's introduce another wrinkle to interpretations.

What about if I grab a dozen units using SO's from all over the place (some from the resort in question, some not) and then invite all of my direct relatives and their extended families to come along? There's some verbiage in the CCRs about not being allowed to "rent for commercial purposes" or something along those lines (i.e. you cannot use the bookings as part of something that is effectively a vacation rental business).

I feel fine with charging them for my costs, as 1) they are all coming with me not at some random time on their own, 2) they are all part of my vacation as I am there with them, and 3) I am not renting as a business venture to strangers they're basically all my relatives. I believe this isn't quite the letter of the law, but within the intents of some vagueness in those rules, as this usage is an extension of my vacation plans.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
VacationForever: Please clarify - are you saying that you personally know someone who was TURNED AWAY AT CHECK-IN, at a Vistana resort, because they rented a Staroption reservation???

-Vistana already said that they would deal with this issue with the OWNER, and they would not punish guests.

-Long before this point, the owner would be notified that his reservation was cancelled.

It is hypothetical.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

I thought he said he would be upset if it happened to him, not that it had actually happened to him.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This was confusing to me:
Yes. I am not speaking for myself but someone else who is a victim of this.

Someone else who IS a victim, doesn't sound hypothetical.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

What about if I grab a dozen units using SO's from all over the place (some from the resort in question, some not) and then invite all of my direct relatives and their extended families to come along? There's some verbiage in the CCRs about not being allowed to "rent for commercial purposes" or something along those lines (i.e. you cannot use the bookings as part of something that is effectively a vacation rental business).

I feel fine with charging them for my costs, as 1) they are all coming with me not at some random time on their own, 2) they are all part of my vacation as I am there with them, and 3) I am not renting as a business venture to strangers they're basically all my relatives. I believe this isn't quite the letter of the law, but within the intents of some vagueness in those rules, as this usage is an extension of my vacation plans.
There you go, one more unclear scenario...I would think that is against the rules if you are making a profit (1 or more cents from MF) renting to friends or family. But, how can Vistana prove you made said profit...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone in the HGVC forum used the term "renting to new friends". How about those...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what would happen if someone reaches out to Vistana/Suzanne Clark and ask the question directly?

After all, we are just providing our thoughts which are not Vistana's position.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
how can Vistana prove you made said profit

Remember - At this point, Vistana is in "don't ask - don't tell" mode. Vistana has no contact with guests, and doesn't even have a way to contact them - they don't want to know.

If YYJMSP calls them and says he's having a family reunion and needs 10 guest confirmations, they won't even blink. Especially since he is an Elite Owner.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember - At this point, Vistana is in "don't ask - don't tell" mode. Vistana has no contact with guests, and doesn't even have a way to contact them - they don't want to know.

If YYJMSP calls them and says he's having a family reunion and needs 10 guest confirmations, they won't even blink. Especially since he is an Elite Owner.
Agree, you said it well before when you mentioned Plausible Deniability.

Couldn't the resort front desk ask?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also thought they were going to get tougher now that they are owned by Interval.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you change a SO reservation name, do they give you any reminders about not renting? I get them even if I have a reservation with the exact same dates for me. I get just a reminder, not a question about me renting the unit. I also get the same reminders when I rent a Home Resort Resie.:doh:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When they made all the changes, we wondered what was going to happen, but so far, Vistana has actually distanced themselves from the guests of owners/guest confirmations.

-They won't talk to guests anymore.
-They won't accept guest's contact info.
-They have no way to contact guests.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Couldn't the resort front desk ask?

This would be an enormous PR disaster. Can you imagine the drama that would ensue?

If you turned people away at the front desk, this would create enormous bad will and negative publicity towards the resort, and Vistana already said they weren't going to punish guests.

If they wanted to know, they could find out much earlier - but since they intentionally changed their policies so they no longer have any contact with guests, they apparently don't want to know.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This would be an enormous PR disaster. Can you imagine the drama that would ensue?

If you turned people away at the front desk, this would create enormous bad will and negative publicity towards the resort, and Vistana already said they weren't going to punish guests.

If they wanted to know, they could find out much earlier - but since they intentionally changed their policies so they no longer have any contact with guests, they apparently don't want to know.

Don't ask don't tell, but we will collect a fee for our troubles...

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think they stopped taking guest information and allowing guests to confirm to make it harder to rent- not to distance themselves. As far as I know this is the only company that will not confirm a reservation for a guest. Yes I can do a conference call with a guest but I would really rather not. It is annoying enough that I have to call to put a reservation in a guest name to begin with.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

So, this goes beyond plausible deniability...this boils down to you can break the rules if you want, we simply don't care...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know - I'm just guessing, like everyone else. ;)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't ask don't tell, but we will collect a fee for our troubles...
Everybody wins this way...you go ahead and rent illegally and we get a piece of the action (but let's call it a fee if you are not 4* or 5*, if you are 4* or 5* you are fine)...it is all cool...:clap:...:shrug:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So, this goes beyond plausible deniability...this boils down to you can break the rules if you want, we simply don't care...
I am sure the owners who are renting SO reservations believe that and would like to have everyone believe that.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they stopped taking guest information and allowing guests to confirm to make it harder to rent- not to distance themselves. As far as I know this is the only company that will not confirm a reservation for a guest. Yes I can do a conference call with a guest but I would really rather not. It is annoying enough that I have to call to put a reservation in a guest name to begin with.
Making it harder?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know - I'm just guessing, like everyone else. ;)
Of course, I am just putting things into perspective with my spin of sarcasam.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Making it harder?
Yes because now when I rent my home resort reservation, my guest can't confirm directly with the resort or with Vistana. I own a few SBP platinum and gold plus summer weeks and 2 Harborside weeks. I like to be able to make a reservation, forward a confirmation and have the renter call directly to confirm. They can't do this now. I have to make a conference call unless the guest is content to pay with only a confirmation in hand.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure the owners who are renting SO reservations believe that and would like to have everyone believe that.
But, if everybody believes that then the system crashes...let's hope not...all the owners from low MFs properties will rent the attractive inventory that makes it to the 8 month mark.