• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting our Marriott Timeshare

PCDC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club (x3)
We are looking to rent out our Marriott Kauai Beach Club lock off (parlor only). We have never rented out one of our weeks before and we are trying to get all the facts before posting the rental on TUGG. This is what we have gathered so far and the questions that we still have. Any help would be appreciated.

1) A Damage deposit is unnecessary since Marriott will take a credit card from the renter at the time of check in.

2) Only accept full payment through PayPal

3) Request that Marriott add the guest name to the reservation and send us a electronic copy, that we can forward to the renter.

Does all that sound right?

Questions:

1.Do we need to “authenticate” the renter? If so, should we ask for a copy of their driver’s license?

2.Should we obtain a rental agreement?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I always use a written agreement when I rent. It is short and to the point (names, dollar amounts, dates, unit description, etc) but it includes an explicit "no cancellation; no refund" provision to avoid any misunderstandings.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Plus include clauses for "no subletting" (there was another thread on this recently), "no exceeding the occupancy limits on the accommodation" and agreeing to abide by the quiet hours / no disturbance rules of the property.

Will the front desk charge the credit card of the guest if there are damages or they have a frat party in the room? If not, you may want a security deposit.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you considered having Marriott rent it for you. You would no doubt net fewer dollars after their commission but wouldn't have to worry about the details.

George

PCDC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club (x3)
Called Marriott about renting it, but they will not rent a lock off (only full villa). Unfortunately, we can't deposit a lock off at KBC with Interval either.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I rent out my Marriotts all the time. All you need is their name to put on the reservation. They won't be able to check in without ID and a credit card on file. If they damage the unit, they are responsible not you.

My only additional advice to the above of all rentals are final, there are no refunds or changes, is not to take Paypal. I only accept bank drafts or wire transfers. If you have a disgruntled renter (say he wants to cancel and you won't let him) they can complain to Paypal and they can withdraw the transfer from your account. With a bank draft or wire transfer, there is no going back.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Quadmaniac, how do they do a bank draft? Anyone familiar with venmo?