• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Request: Ocean Pointe tips for first time stay

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
We own Grande Vista and got a trade into Ocean Pointe for Memorial day weekend (last minute, but very happy with this...)!

First time staying, so have a few questions (and have read several threads, still going through some) and interested in any tips.

1) Does Ocean Pointe typically send a pre-arrival email asking for preferences (like Grande Vista does)? We haven't received anything and check in is now only a few days away.

2) We'd like an Ocean Front unit on a high floor in a more recently renovated building, but I'm sort of afraid this is what literally everyone wants! What do you recommend in terms of requests for building location, etc?

Any other tips?

Thanks very much in advance!
Frank

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Typically they send out a rather standard preference request but, since your exchange was somewhat last minute, it's possible you won't get one.

As to getting an ocean front, high floor unit, good luck with that. As another Marriott owner you do have a little status, just not likely high floor ocean front. In the past whatever view you were assigned with your exchange is what you'll get. The only way I've ever seen the view assignment was to register the reservation with your Marriott Rewards number at Marriott.com. Since it's been several years ago I used that trick I can't even say it still works.

The very first time we exchanged into Ocean Pointe was an early December week and it was as a non-Marriott owner. We were placed in a first floor unit at the very back of the Dolphin building. We still had a great time. In fact, that's when we purchased our unit at Ocean Pointe. I doubt you do that poorly with unit location. I would anticipate an ocean side unit and at least a third floor unit. What's working against you is the late time stamp on your reservation and it's a holiday week in Silver season, which might mean your competing with more owners staying at their home resort on their time.

It's a nice area with a good beach and typically clear waters. The grounds are well maintained and we find it relaxing. I hope you end up with a nice unit, good view and wonderful memories.

Dolphin and Sailfish are more of the "family" area and tend to be a little noisier. I believe Cobia is the most recently renovated building. Cobia and Pompano are at the "quite" end. Pompano's south facing units look over a "lovely" pink condo building Marriott couldn't negoiate a price to buy it. That ugly pink condo building separates the "main" complex from the Kingfish building, which is more remote and self contained. Most people prefer to be in the main complex and stay away from Kingfish. We like Kingfish but, we own ocean front and go every year. We don't feel the need to be close to all the amenities. However, when we travel with friends/family, we stick with the main complex. Everyone seems to like walking out into the larger lush grounds.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Thanks very much Doug! After my initial post I rechecked my email and realized that while traveling, an email requesting our preferences had actually come in and I just missed it.

Our reservation is for an Ocean Side unit, so I just emphasized that if at all possible, we'd like the best ocean view they can do for that unit type (like a corner or something), any building will be fine with us. The resort looks beautiful, we're really looking forward to our stay!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The only corner units would be the the ocean front units or the ocean side units at the very back of the buildings, so I think I'd stay away from requesting a corner. Typically anything 4th floor and above has a decent view. Pompano south facing or Kingfish would have less obstruction for a view but, it looks directly on the beautiful ugly pink condo building. Vegetation is highest in front of Sailfish and Dolphin (noisier section) than Cobia and Pompano. Pompano and Kingfish are going to be the oldest in terms of last refurbishment. All buildings get at least a soft refurbish every 5 years so they're always in decent condition.

I have several photo albums of Ocean Pointe in our collection. Here's a link to our Smugmug page with those albums. https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to getting an ocean front, high floor unit, good luck with that. As another Marriott owner you do have a little status, just not likely high floor ocean front. In the past whatever view you were assigned with your exchange is what you'll get. The only way I've ever seen the view assignment was to register the reservation with your Marriott Rewards number at Marriott.com. Since it's been several years ago I used that trick I can't even say it still works.

The unit code in your history in II will signify Ocean Side or Ocean Front. Marriott.com should then mirror this view, or at least initially. The problem is a few years ago Ocean Pointe stopped the practice of assigning view based on the II confirmation. They started automatically giving Ocean Side to all exchangers with the slight potential to be upgraded back to Ocean Front upon check-in if the priority is high enough to justify it. Sometime they change it to Ocean Side in marriott.com before checking and sometimes they do it at check-in.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Hmm... I just checked my history at Interval. I am a Marriott owner, but my stay at OP next spring will be an exchange. The history shows "OVTM." OV must mean ocean view? How do I interpret this code?

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
XXXXXX

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Last edited:

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Thanks. I'll bookmark that post. I've used TUG for years but find something new that I have missed all the time.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank, where did you end up?

We're here til 6/3. Didn't think much about it being Memorial Day weekend when I booked. We had other reasons.

Have seen several of the long time staff members. One commented "Hold on to your hats". It was stormy when we got here on Wed. so I asked "because of the wind?" He said because of the Memorial Day crowd.

We're use to all the winter school breaks so it's normal full to us but the biggest difference is the warm weather and ocean. Love the warmer ocean. Had to get my head around the pool temp. It makes complete sense they wouldn't heat the pools like the winter. My mental expectation was for warm pool but instead it was cool. Refreshing when it's 90.

Other noticeable differences are more blooms. The grounds are beautiful. And the sunset...it sets over Sailfish...not Pompano.

Finally got into a newly decorated room. I had great loathing for the last color scheme. We had the last of it, hopefully, for the entire month of March. Tried to ignore it because our room location was so good but there were many a moment I'd find myself wondering how such a bad design could be approved. Trends. Glad to see the trend towards the soothing palette.