• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale Owner X2-Interesting info to share...

mscheribel59

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany Village, HGV Parc Soleil, HGV Elara
On 2-12-18 I checked into Tuscany in Orlando (one of my home resorts) for a 3 night stay. While checking in they asked me if I'd like to do an owners update. I said sure, they set it up for 8am the following morning. and gave me $100.00 worth of Gift cards for local restaurants. She said she'd have to put a hold on my Hilton American Express to make sure I attend the Meeting.
At 8am my wife and I were waiting at the Parc Soleil sales office when Jason ( Claimed to be the Marketing Manager) came out, stated that they over booked for the day, and I'd have to reschedule. He said I could keep the gift cards already given to me, as it was not my fault. I told him they put a hold on my card, and e said they would release the hold.
When I was leaving, I stopped by the checking desk, asked them to give me proof I was there. She was kind enough to give me a screen print with this interesting info on it... RESALE-HONORING GIFT-PLEASE RELEASE PRE-GIFT HOLD.
Well, they never released the hold, got my cc statement from Am Exp a month later , with a 120.00 charge on it. I called HGVC, talked to several reps, and told me was too late to reverse the charge, and said they would send me an Am Exp gift card to reimburse me for the charge, to my unhappiness.
To no surprise, I've had to call HGVC again this last Friday as no gift card to reimburse me has been received, and they said it is all noted on my account, and they would follow up again. Getting a bit upset for 2 reasons....I'm out the money still, and they lied to me about the "overbooked" comment. Being retired, I like the owners updates as I get some new info on news within HGVC, and I enjoy telling them how I got educated on Tug, and about my savings buying resale. Obviously with my experience, resale owners are not supposed to be invited to the owners updates.
I have not gotten a call back yet as of today, And am traveling across the state thru Orlando on this coming Friday. Looks like they might have an unhappy owner showing up in the sales office again at Parc Soleil to get my refund in person, and maybe talk to some waiting future customers. Hmmm...:ponder:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
That's BS.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be guilty of selective memory but it seems to me that everything is so much more of a hassle today than it was say 20-25 years ago.

George

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Dispute the charge with Amex. You're still within the 60-day window and Amex is VERY aggressive (IMO) about these things... Especially armed with the screenshot.

Indeed.
A "hold" is 'sposed to be an authorization-only, not a charge.
You never agreed to a charge, and you have documentation.
Since you'll be in the area, try a face-to-face with the "manager."

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank goodness you were smart enough to get confirmation with a screen print. When we completed an update in Florida, they gave us the gift card as we were checking out. They should have done the same for you.

+1 as stated previously, call them and let them know that if you don't receive refunds and your gift card this week, you will dispute the charge with the credit card company. Don't waste any more time on this.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Dispute the charge with Amex. You're still within the 60-day window and Amex is VERY aggressive (IMO) about these things.
Especially armed with the screenshot.

I agree, Amex has always been very easy to work with on charge disputes.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Sorry, that this has happened to you but I would dispute the charges.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
...and they lied to me about the "overbooked" comment. Being retired, I like the owners updates as I get some new info on news within HGVC, and I enjoy telling them how I got educated on Tug, and about my savings buying resale. Obviously with my experience, resale owners are not supposed to be invited to the owners updates.

The latter statement is certainly untrue. I've told them about TUG on any number of occasions, and we have only resale, yet we are invited to these updates for every stay. Most recent call was today for a W. 57th stay. So, no, that is not true.

Also, how do you know that you were lied to about the "overbooked" comment? Do you have any data to support that? We recently had a Hyatt stay where they were overbooked. We got the greatly-discounted trip and even got the points for that stay if we booked another one, which we did. Took several calls for that to show up because it was not normal for their system, but it did. No reason to believe that they were not overbooked. Certainly nothing to substantiate such a claim.

And, of course, as others have said - simply dispute the charge with the credit card company. Much easier than dealing with all the hassle that you have apparently gone through.

Cheers.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I bought resale and own at Tuscany and have stayed at Many HGVC resorts from
Florida to Hawaii and in between and have never been invited to an owners update.

I actually don't mind doing them and do them with Wyndham, Vacation Village and Bluegreen for
the $100 gift card to buy groceries. I'm retired so I have the luxury of time.

I am sure there must be something on my account about buying resale and not to tour with HGVC.
I do get calls from them wanting to sell me a vacation package to some of the new resorts but
when I stay at HGVC they don't even mention it. Maybe I should ask for it! LOL

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
mscheribel59 said: "Obviously with my experience, resale owners are not supposed to be invited to the owners updates."

brp said: "The latter statement is certainly untrue. I've told them about TUG on any number of occasions, and we have only resale, yet we are invited to these updates for every stay."
-----------------------------------

There have been several posts in this forum by resale owners who were specifically told that resale buyers are not eligible (or not supposed to get) invitations for "owner updates," or if they slipped thru the cracks, were almost immediately shown the door. I stopped getting calls about 'em a few years ago (not that I mind in the least).

But I 'spose some were overlooked and their names were not added to the "naughty" list.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
mscheribel59 said: "Obviously with my experience, resale owners are not supposed to be invited to the owners updates."

brp said: "The latter statement is certainly untrue. I've told them about TUG on any number of occasions, and we have only resale, yet we are invited to these updates for every stay."

There have been several posts in this forum by resale owners who were specifically told that resale buyers are not eligible (or not supposed to get) invitations for "owner updates," or if they slipped thru the cracks, were almost immediately shown the door. I stopped getting calls about 'em a few years ago (not that I mind in the least).

But I 'spose some were overlooked and their names were not added to the "naughty" list.

My only point is that this is clearly not an universal or "obvious" truth. Every time we go (and these are becoming fewer as we just have better things to do with our time) they can see that all three of our contracts are resale, and they just don't care. Nor do they make any comments like this...and then we get invited the next time.

Of course, the people telling folks that resale buyers are "not eligible" for the updates are timeshare sales folks. And we all know the Tug saying about then a timeshare salesperson's lips are moving...

Perhaps we fit some demographic that they want to invite despite our being el-cheapo resale folks. Not sure. But the generalization is simply not true.

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I’ve been to at least 3 “updates” since buying resale, originally bought developer. I’ve never been told not eligible, and received gifts every time.

I’ve also never been asked to place a hold on my credit card, that would be a show stopper for me, I would have said no way and walked off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mscheribel59

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Finally got a call today from a Manager at Parc Soleil , and since I'm crossing the state to visit relatives tomorrow, they are finally issuing a payment to me tomorrow that I'm going to pick up, plus an additional 50.00 for my inconvenience. Would have been better to have this all not happen, but at least they made it right...or at least I hope. Sad it took 7 phone calls to finally make it right. Even though I love HGVC, This will take some time to get over. Won't be talking up HGVC any time soon.
It was confirmed by someone in Marketing that resale purchasers are not suppose to get invited, because if you went into a room with other potential new owners or upgraders, and heard your conversation, it might not be good. The computers were down the day I was asked to go which is why I was asked.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was confirmed by someone in Marketing that resale purchasers are not suppose to get invited, because if you went into a room with other potential new owners or upgraders, and heard your conversation, it might not be good. The computers were down the day I was asked to go which is why I was asked.

Again, I don't doubt that you were told that. I just know that a number of resale purchasers here, us included, get invited on a regular basis. Having something "confirmed" by a timeshare salesweasel doesn't hold much credibility with a number of the folks here.

Cheers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I am never invited to a presentation at hhv. We stay down there 4 to 7 times a year. When we see the person for our discount booklet they ask for our room number and then just give us our swag.

There is a lady that we know from a lot of visits over the past few years. She told us that when they pull up my info it says not eligible for update. Originally we could go to updates for the $100 hhv gift card but that stopped at least 5 years ago.

We were just at south beach hgvc and did not get invited to an update. Though I do not know if they even have sales staff at the south beach location.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mscheribel59

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am never invited to a presentation at hhv. We stay down there 4 to 7 times a year. When we see the person for our discount booklet they ask for our room number and then just give us our swag.

There is a lady that we know from a lot of visits over the past few years. She told us that when they pull up my info it says not eligible for update. Originally we could go to updates for the $100 hhv gift card but that stopped at least 5 years ago.

We were just at south beach hgvc and did not get invited to an update. Though I do not know if they even have sales staff at the south beach location.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That is my point. Some people might slip thru the cracks....But the marketing manager at Parc Soliel told me that the resale owners are NOT targeted for owners updates.