• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale Purchases - How Does VIP Work?

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
No, there really is not any exceptions to what was posted. Resale points do not count toward VIP status. PIC has nothing to do with resale points, since you cannot PIC a resort that is in Club Wyndham points (or RCI points).

You can get a fixed non-Wyndham week on the resale market and enroll it into PIC with a minimum 49,000 point purchase through corporate sales (around $10k). Incidentally, that $10k can get you a million points at National Harbor on eBay. The maximum amount of points you can achieve in PIC is 508,000. Add the 49,000 and you are Silver VIP, But only 572,000 points.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mtn Valley Breckenridge, Grand Crown Resort RCI Points
I was always told to put myself on the deed first with the developer purchaser, and quitclaim the old owner off, Just saying....

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
I was always told to put myself on the deed first with the developer purchaser, and quitclaim the old owner off, Just saying....
Title and Deed told me I couldn't will my Daytona to my friend but this sounds like if I add her name and give her a quit claim deed she might benefit to use for future silver VIP.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s well known here about using LLCs,trust and adding the resale purchaser to the deed first.
The LLC and trust is legal and your way is fraud if you don’t forward Wyndham the $299 transfer fee with the quitclaim deed. Your chances of getting caught might be very low but it’s still fraud.

As Ron and others have posted it’s very hard to find an owner willing to go those routs. If the original owner doesn’t forward Wyndham a copy of the quitclaim deed they are still on the hook for all financial responsibilities if the new owner walks.

I wouldn’t advise anyone that bought a developer purchase to go the quitclaim rout.
Unless you send the quitclaim deed along with the $299.00 transfer fee immediately after its filed. Don’t even think about claiming ignorance and you didn’t know! That’s not going to fly

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
This brings up an interesting question.
Will Wyndham allow anyone to share an account ?
Do you have to be family-domestic partners to be added later to a developer purchase contract ?
I’m guessing another loophole that’s probably gone with Voyager

bobbyoc23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Desert
Attitash Mountain Village
Do you have to be family-domestic partners to be added later to a developer purchase contract ?

What are the current guidelines for adding someone to your deed? Are there restrictions? I always assumed you had to prove some sort of family relation, but what about domestic partnerships?

I would think Wyndham has already thought about the quitclaim option for people to “inherit” a developer-purchased account...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
No, there really is not any exceptions to what was posted. Resale points do not count toward VIP status. PIC has nothing to do with resale points, since you cannot PIC a resort that is in Club Wyndham points (or RCI points).

True, and you also cannot PIC a resale either...meaning you can't go but a week for cheap on the resale market then PIC is to get the PIC points for it...

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s well known here about using LLCs,trust and adding the resale purchaser to the deed first.
The LLC and trust is legal and your way is fraud if you don’t forward Wyndham the $299 transfer fee with the quitclaim deed. Your chances of getting caught might be very low but it’s still fraud.

As Ron and others have posted it’s very hard to find an owner willing to go those routs. If the original owner doesn’t forward Wyndham a copy of the quitclaim deed they are still on the hook for all financial responsibilities if the new owner walks.

I wouldn’t advise anyone that bought a developer purchase to go the quitclaim rout.
Unless you send the quitclaim deed along with the $299.00 transfer fee immediately after its filed. Don’t even think about claiming ignorance and you didn’t know! That’s not going to fly
Not sure what you are suggesting here - the purpose of the quitclaim is to get wyndham to add/remove someone to/from the account. Doing a quitclaim without telling wyndham wouldn't serve any purpose.

- Scott

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are suggesting here - the purpose of the quitclaim is to get wyndham to add/remove someone to/from the account. Doing a quitclaim without telling wyndham wouldn't serve any purpose.

- Scott
Your not understanding what is being presented.
We are talking about transferring ownership on a contract as a two step process instead of one to keep developer status on a resale contract so it counts towards VIP tier levels.
Step one:
Add new owner on the deed with the existing owner
Step two:
Quitclaim deed the original owner off later.

Then don’t send Wyndham the quitclaim deed in order to keep developer purchase status for VIP tiers.
Or send the quitclaim deed in a few years and see what happens.
Like all the other loopholes Wyndham has closed in the last year they probably have a good handle on this loophole also.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your not understanding what is being presented.
We are talking about transferring ownership on a contract as a two step process instead of one to keep developer status on a resale contract so it counts towards VIP tier levels.
Step one:
Add new owner on the deed with the existing owner
Step two:
Quitclaim deed the original owner off later.

Then don’t send Wyndham the quitclaim deed in order to keep developer purchase status for VIP tiers.
Or send the quitclaim deed in a few years and see what happens.
Like all the other loopholes Wyndham has closed in the last year they probably have a good handle on this loophole also.

Aren't both steps quitclaim deeds?

What's the difference in quitclaiming the original owner off and not telling Wyndham vs. leaving the original owner on? In both cases, the original owner has maintenance fee responsibility and account access until the paperwork is sent to Wyndham. I don't see any value in filing a deed and not telling Wyndham. If the buyer wants protection, he could get the second quitclaim deed notarized and just not file it with the county - I don't think deeds have to be recorded to be legal. Recording deeds is all about protecting the buyer, but if the buyer is already on the deed and has the original notarized deed in their possession, no protection is needed.

-Scott

cassvilleokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Hawaii fixed weeks and Points, Wyndham Points, Marriott, Mass, Holiday Inn (previous Silverleaf) Worldmark, Vista Mirage, Shell Hawaii collection, Star Island, Orange Lake, KBC, Fractional and Full.
Star Island in Florida was a resort that offered Foreclosed Inventory throughout the Wyndham System as well the phones sales dept out of Florida, Vegas and one other spot that I don't remember at the moment. If you went anywhere else and was told it was a deeply discounted property you were shown regular inventory up against an inflated price, it is called the DROP, all sales use the method not just timeshare sales.

Points/Contracts purchased thru a broker, individual, exit team, reseller are listed on the account as RE-Sale and DO NOT count toward VIP, if you buy from any form of Wyndham then they count.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's the difference in quitclaiming the original owner off and not telling Wyndham vs. leaving the original owner on? In both cases, the original owner has maintenance fee responsibility and account access until the paperwork is sent to Wyndham. I don't see any value in filing a deed and not telling Wyndham. If the buyer wants protection, he could get the second quitclaim deed notarized and just not file it with the county - I don't think deeds have to be recorded to be legal. Recording deeds is all about protecting the buyer, but if the buyer is already on the deed and has the original notarized deed in their possession, no protection is needed.

-Scott
Why does the original owner want to make a complete stranger a co-owner on the deed and on their account ?
Answer—They want to add value to the deed they’re trying to sell. They have a 1,000,000 point contract that makes them VIP Platinum that they paid $150,000 for. As a resale they might get $10,000 for it. But maybe they will allow the buyer to be a co-owner if they can get $50,000 for the contract allowing the buyer to keep the VIP Platinum account.

The seller doesn’t want MF responsibility or access to the account remember they’re selling because they want out of the contract. The seller wants out so after sending the deed to make the buyer a co-owner to Wyndham preserving the VIP Platinum account the seller files another deed removing themselves as co-owners and doesn’t forward the deed to Wyndham.

Now the original owner is no longer an owner according to property records but Wyndham doesn’t know that as they weren’t notified. The buyer will keep the VIP Platinum account until Wyndham is sent the second deed. In the past the buyer might of stayed VIP Platinum even if Wyndham was sent the second deed a few months later. Now with Voyager I wouldn’t bet on it.

Hope that help explains what we are talking about. It’s all done trying to keep the contract as a developer purchase that counts toward VIP tier levels for the benefits that come with a VIP account.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
True, and you also cannot PIC a resale either...meaning you can't go but a week for cheap on the resale market then PIC is to get the PIC points for it...
Are you a Wyndham employee announcing a policy change ?
How long has this policy been in effect?
How do you have this knowledge if you’re not a Wyndham employee?
This post and others from a newbie is unusual. Just wondering

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score

I thought that I have read that some have "extended" family on their deeds. I don't think that they have any way to monitor people's actual relationships. Though there were definitely people who were advertising the quitclaim route to convey benefits to new resale owners.

I know in the DVC world, there were instances of friends that would buy in together but there were many a story of things that went wrong when the friendship went south, etc.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that I have read that some have "extended" family on their deeds. I don't think that they have any way to monitor people's actual relationships. Though there were definitely people who were advertising the quitclaim route to convey benefits to new resale owners.

I know in the DVC world, there were instances of friends that would buy in together but there were many a story of things that went wrong when the friendship went south, etc.
That’s one of the golden rules.
Don’t get financially involved with friends.

I can see Wyndham allowing friends to make a direct purchase. But not sure if that’s allowed or not. Really hope someone has some answers.

I do know from owner updates that my resale contracts on the salespeople printouts show the original owner and how much they paid for the contract.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why does the original owner want to make a complete stranger a co-owner on the deed and on their account ?
Answer—They want to add value to the deed they’re trying to sell. They have a 1,000,000 point contract that makes them VIP Platinum that they paid $150,000 for. As a resale they might get $10,000 for it. But maybe they will allow the buyer to be a co-owner if they can get $50,000 for the contract allowing the buyer to keep the VIP Platinum account.

The seller doesn’t want MF responsibility or access to the account remember they’re selling because they want out of the contract. The seller wants out so after sending the deed to make the buyer a co-owner to Wyndham preserving the VIP Platinum account the seller files another deed removing themselves as co-owners and doesn’t forward the deed to Wyndham.

Now the original owner is no longer an owner according to property records but Wyndham doesn’t know that as they weren’t notified. The buyer will keep the VIP Platinum account until Wyndham is sent the second deed. In the past the buyer might of stayed VIP Platinum even if Wyndham was sent the second deed a few months later. Now with Voyager I wouldn’t bet on it.

Hope that help explains what we are talking about. It’s all done trying to keep the contract as a developer purchase that counts toward VIP tier levels for the benefits that come with a VIP account.

I understand the purpose of quitclaim deeds - the term I like to use for this is transferring an account instead of the more traditional transferring of the deeds from the account.

My point is that if you don't forward a copy of the recorded deed to Wyndham, the seller will still be on the account and Wyndham will still hold them liable for maintenance fees and give them account access. I agree that the seller doesn't want maintenance responsibility and that the buyer doesn't want the seller to have access to the account, but filing a deed transfer with the county and not Wyndham does not achieve these goals.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s one of the golden rules.
Don’t get financially involved with friends.

I can see Wyndham allowing friends to make a direct purchase. But not sure if that’s allowed or not. Really hope someone has some answers.

I do know from owner updates that my resale contracts on the salespeople printouts show the original owner and how much they paid for the contract.

You can put anyone you want on a deed and Wyndham can't stop you - what they could choose to do is create a separate account for each combination of owners, although that would be really complicated for them.

-Scott

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
My point is that if you don't forward a copy of the recorded deed to Wyndham, the seller will still be on the account and Wyndham will still hold them liable for maintenance fees and give them account access. I agree that the seller doesn't want maintenance responsibility and that the buyer doesn't want the seller to have access to the account, but filing a deed transfer with the county and not Wyndham does not achieve these goals.
You need to read post #54 I stated your point yesterday

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can put anyone you want on a deed and Wyndham can't stop you - what they could choose to do is create a separate account for each combination of owners, although that would be really complicated for them.

-Scott
You definitely can put anyone on a deed but Wyndham doesn’t have to accept it.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to read post #54 I stated your point yesterday
You said filing the deed with the county and not Wyndham was fraud but that you might get away with it. I said it serves no purpose because it doesn't do what you are suggesting it does (remove seller's maintenance responsibility and account access). How is that the same thing?

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
You definitely can put anyone on a deed but Wyndham doesn’t have to accept it.
Do you have any examples of Wyndham not accepting the deed because they didn't like the combination of people on the deed? There are many ways they could choose to map deeds to accounts that might not be the way owners want, but not accepting a deed because John and Joe are not related is not something I've ever heard of in any timeshare company doing.

-Scott

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
You said filing the deed with the county and not Wyndham was fraud but that you might get away with it. I said it serves no purpose because it doesn't do what you are suggesting it does (remove seller's maintenance responsibility and account access). How is that the same thing?

-Scott
If the original owner doesn’t forward Wyndham a copy of the quitclaim deed they are still on the hook for all financial responsibilities if the new owner walks.

My quote is from post 54. Still looks like the same thing to me

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have any examples of Wyndham not accepting the deed because they didn't like the combination of people on the deed? There are many ways they could choose to map deeds to accounts that might not be the way owners want, but not accepting a deed because John and Joe are not related is not something I've ever heard of in any timeshare company doing.

-Scott
Personal proof? No
There have been post here on a limit of names on a deed. I don’t know what that number is.
Will Wyndham accept a deed with 25 to 50 names on it ? I don’t know

More important is I hope Wyndham screens owners with atleast a minimum background check.
I hope we don’t have sexual predators running wild at Bonnet Creek for example