• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescission period calculation

Watson524

Reaction score
Hi all,

We goofed and bought in the HGVC today from the developer and NOW I've come here (wrong order) and have learned I should rescind (research better, very unlike me not to!) and buy through resale.

My question is how so they calculate the rescission period? So we contractual have 5 days Today is Thursday. Does that mean certified letter in the mail no later then Monday? Does Thursday count as day 1? Do weekends count? I feel Monday is the safest bet (we aren't home until Sunday) to if need be I can get to a business center to print a letter tomorrow I would think

Thanks!!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on the state where you signed the contract..Just Google 'timeshare rescission Florida' or Nevada, wherever it was. In any event, day 1 is tomorrow (Friday) and usually it's calendar days. Weekends count unless the final day is a holiday or Sunday.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can hand write a simple letter if it will help you sleep. Just be sure whoever signed the contract signs the rescission letter. We suggest sending a COPY of the contracts signature page for ID purposes and send it USPS Certified. Keep the receipt.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Don't mess around with counting days; send in your rescission TODAY.

You will then better enjoy the remainder of your vacation.

Watson524

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's 5 days since it's south Carolina but I'm typing up a quick letter to print at the business center so we can send after breakfast and be done with it. Then I'll be back with a lot more questions after reading the stickies and such.we got 22k bonus points which I know we don't get buying resale and seems like a hit but...

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thanks for the advice. It's 5 days since it's south Carolina but I'm typing up a quick letter to print at the business center so we can send after breakfast and be done with it. Then I'll be back with a lot more questions after reading the stickies and such.we got 22k bonus points which I know we don't get buying resale and seems like a hit but...

Bonus points aren't that big of a deal. Sure they are nice, but they really don't amount to that much compared to what you would be spending on the retail purchase. Someone has a valuation on how many dollars each point is worth and it's not much.

As an FYI - HGVC is a great system and they treat their members very well, even resale buyers. Except for earning elite status, resale buyers have the same rights and privileges as retail buyers do. It's very flexible and, with all of the new resorts going in, there's many options for you to choose from. Check out Tug's HGVC forum, lot's of great info there: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/hilton-grand-vacations-club-hgvc.52/

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Just to clarify, it doesn't matter where you live. What matters is where you were at when you made the purchase. The recession period for that State is what you must go by.

Watson524

Reaction score
Got mail confirmation they got the rescission letter on Monday so all good there. Yesterday I got a text from the sales agent saying she heard "y'all had some questions/concerns with the program and were perhaps not going to follow through with ownership, was it something I/we did?"

Now normally I'd just flat out ignore it but the fact she/they think we have questions/concerns makes me worried they'll drag out the refund if I don't reply and say nope just rescinding the offer. Or is it just a ploy to get me to contact them? My letter to them left no doubt it was a done deal

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or is it just a ploy to get me to contact them? My letter to them left no doubt it was a done deal

It was probably just a ploy to get you to contact them. They see their commission fading away and are trying to salvage the sale. If you contact them (which is not recommended) what they will try to do is offer you a sweetened deal such as bonus points or the like. Or, they might use scare tactics saying that you will face serious legal or financial consequences if you rescind (which you won't).

Watson524

Reaction score
Yeah scare tactics with me is just funny. I can go from zero to raving bit&h in about 2 minutes if I think they're trying to push me around.

I won't contact her. What's usually the time period to see a refund to a credit card? 30 days?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Yeah scare tactics with me is just funny. I can go from zero to raving bit&h in about 2 minutes if I think they're trying to push me around.

I won't contact her. What's usually the time period to see a refund to a credit card? 30 days?

Yup, they want another chance at you. I wouldn’t contact them if I were you. It may take up to 45 days for the recession to finish. There are pretty big consequences if they don’t complete it by a required amount of time.

Watson524

Reaction score
Thank heavens for caller ID. Got a call today from Hilton Head SC area which I assume was them.... no message left :)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
voluntarily deleted post; I failed to notice the age of the post or that the matter is already resolved. :doh: