• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort fee at Massanutten effective 6/29/18 :(

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Hi how is your experience as a resale owner so far i am trying to decide if i buy a 4 bedroom 4 bath but would like to trade thru rci most years do you have any experience with that ?

I am very pleased. A Gold Card (mostly a 20% discount within many places at the resort) would be nice to have, but certainly is not worth the costs of buying directly from the developer. Short of not having the Gold Card, I know of no disadvantage to buying resale. My four bedroom Woodstone is about the best RCIPoints trader as I have heard of. I pay $855 in annual MFs and get 137,000 points. The challenging thing will probably be finding one on the resale market that is enrolled in RCI points (you can get units for near fee that are not enrolled in RCI points and it is expensive to enroll them). You 100% want to get a red week. I bought mine on eBay last November and have not seen a similar one sell since. Another one sold about six months precious to when I purchased mine.

Another alternative for you is just to buy a good value on RCI points somewhere else and trade into Massanutten when you want to go. Massanutten Resorts have a 1 in 3 restriction, but it is easy to get one almost any time of the year on sale through RCI Last Call or an Extra Vacation on the cheap. I like owning there since I live two hours away, go at least for weekends a few times a year, and it is a good points value. I have no experience with owning anything in RCI Weeks at Massanutten.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fall 2019

Did you know that Massanutten Resort
offers wi-fi internet in the timeshares?

But has anyone noticed that when you connect the Smart TV in the living room or connect your personal device (s) to wi-fi that there are two internet options available. The first on the list is for complimentary and the second is Premium

When asked what the differences are. We were told that if you select premium when connecting to Massanutten`s wi-fi network you will get a higher speed at a premium cost of $5.95 per day!

Be sure to tell your friends and family members especially the kids to select complimentary wi-fi
when using the internet so that no one is surprised when they are billed @ the premium daily/weekly rate!

Last edited:

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received the email too. I have a feeling that they are being influence by their affiliation with Vacation Villages which has been charging the $25 weekly fee for the last several years. My guess is that nothing that wasn't free prior to June 29 will be included in the fee. The annoying thing is these charges are 100% covered by MF at least for this year. There was nothing in the budget saying that half way through the year additional funding for internet, pool use, etc would be coming in. If this is like the Vacation Village fee it will apply to both owners and exchangers staying at Massanutten and will go right into the pocket of management.
Vacation Villages aka The Berkley Group owns over 40 timeshares..Massanutten, Great Eastern Resort Corporation is one of them..Google The Berkley Group..

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very pleased. A Gold Card (mostly a 20% discount within many places at the resort) would be nice to have, but certainly is not worth the costs of buying directly from the developer. Short of not having the Gold Card, I know of no disadvantage to buying resale. My four bedroom Woodstone is about the best RCIPoints trader as I have heard of. I pay $855 in annual MFs and get 137,000 points. The challenging thing will probably be finding one on the resale market that is enrolled in RCI points (you can get units for near fee that are not enrolled in RCI points and it is expensive to enroll them). You 100% want to get a red week. I bought mine on eBay last November and have not seen a similar one sell since. Another one sold about six months precious to when I purchased mine.

We own there plus a home on the Mtn...come by a home there!!!

Another alternative for you is just to buy a good value on RCI points somewhere else and trade into Massanutten when you want to go. Massanutten Resorts have a 1 in 3 restriction, but it is easy to get one almost any time of the year on sale through RCI Last Call or an Extra Vacation on the cheap. I like owning there since I live two hours away, go at least for weekends a few times a year, and it is a good points value. I have no experience with owning anything in RCI Weeks at Massanutten.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Anyone know how far along the Summit Renovations are?
So they plan on 210 units over 3 years which would be about 70 units per year.

Exciting News about the Summit Renovation Project!
In partnership with an award winning Orlando design firm, we will be starting a complete refurbishment of the Summit at Massanutten unit interiors this year! The new designs include improvements such as comfortable and inviting living spaces, family-friendly seating, updated lighting, new flooring, and a number of custom property unique touches.

The goal is to have all 209 units completed by the end of 2021. We are very excited about this project and appreciate your patience as we complete the process.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
when we stay there, Summit units, we got the resort fee waived as it was not posted when we made the reservation via exchange.. understand its now some $20 per night a $140 increase in price..

Have enjoyed staying there over the years but will not be there again due to the rip off resort fees..

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
28 Jan 2020

I guess this is what happens to timeshares developments
when they can no longer make a profit from selling units.

Due to the increasing cost of exchanging
along with the additional Daily Resort Fees.

There are over 1,800 Massanutten timeshare
Exchange/Vacation units sitting online @ RCI

Regal Vistas at Massanutten - 129 Available Units (2 Bedrooms)
Summit at Massanutten - 425 Available Units (2 and 4 Bedrooms)
Woodstone at Massanutten - 1250 Available Units (1-2-4 Bedrooms)

No one wants to pay a daily resort fee (per bedroom)
Especially if only a single or couple of people/guests.

Having to pay extra for everything takes
the enjoyment out of a (family) vacation.

Annual Maintenance Fees should cover Resort Activities.

Massanutten needs to come up with another idea of making money
because no one is going to want to own or exchange into this resort!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
28 Jan 2020

Massanutten always had over a thousand units available over a 2 year period even before the fees. I do agree that it makes even high season weeks even easier to get but RCI will just counter by offering $199 type rentals (no exchange needed) if they need to clear them out.

The one good thing about changing from per side to per bedroom is that it makes those 1 BR woodstone casa units more appealing especially if you only have 1 or 2 persons staying because normally for 2-5 tpu's I would always pick the largest possible unit.

Since I can trade in for the $159 discounted fee even paying the resort fee, it still is slightly less in most cases than paying the $239 to exchange to some place else in the Virginia area like Williamsburg.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
28 Jan 2020

WOW

and that does not include eagle trace and shenandoah villas. And the inventory from the mountainside villas. My guess is those areas would close to double that number.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
what time frame these unit available for,, spring,, summer etc..

28 Jan 2020

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pretty much year round. Massanutten especially Woodstone has a lot of units. This was even before the fees. Perhaps I have seen a decrease in tpu's for summer weeks (when booked well in advance before rci starts discounting them) although more for Summit than Woodstone.
Come June there won't be anything other than early June and later August weeks because RCI will just put them on sale through extra vacations and/or drop the tpu's for 2 BR summer weeks to 7-10 tpu's and when nothing else is available in the mid atlantic region, they will be booked.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Summit® - Summit Hillside® - Summit Sunrise®

Resort ID #3640

Dislike having to pay an additional resort fee in addition to the
2020 Assessment Fee $446.50 for both Upper & Lower Units
(On 4 bedroom Summit at Massanutten every Even Year use)

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that there is a note saying $60 resort fee when I tried to exchange to RCI today. Is it per unit per week? What does it cover?

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just called Massanutten and was told that in addition to the $60, there is a resort fee charged at check in depend on the length of the stay and number of bedrooms. :mad: Did i hear that right?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just called Massanutten and was told that in addition to the $60, there is a resort fee charged at check in depend on the length of the stay and number of bedrooms. :mad: Did i hear that right?
I don't see where you see the $60. This is what I see-
Mandatory Fees:

Mandatory Security deposit is 100.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted.

Due at check-in

Housekeeping Fees:

"Housekeeping fee for all RCI points reservations: There may be a fee of 47.00 U.S. dollars for 2 Bedroom units, per stay. Cash or Credit is accepted."

"Housekeeping fee for all RCI points reservations: There may be a fee of 93.00 U.S. dollars for 4 Bedroom units, per stay. Cash or Credit is accepted."

Resort Fees:

Service fee is 6.50 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.
$6.50 per bedroom per night.

So the housekeeping fees is only if you book with points for less than 7 nights.
Otherwise it is $6.50 per bedroom per night. If you are an owner at Massanutten the fee is a little less, I think something like $4.75 per bedroom per night.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked in today and they’re charging half their usual fee since services and amenities are currently limited.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people will do
"Anything for Money"

Hope Massanutten loses big money on their 2020 (daily/unit) Resort Fee charge
now they are reducing or not charging owners & exchangers during the pandemic.

Maybe they should reconsidered including these fees back
into the Annual Assessment again as a guaranteed income.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some people will do
"Anything for Money"

Hope Massanutten loses big money on their 2020 (daily/unit) Resort Fee charge
now they are reducing or not charging owners & exchangers during the pandemic.

Maybe they should reconsidered including these fees back
into the Annual Assessment again as a guaranteed income.
They were charging $50 per unit (regardless of size) before they added the resort fees. At $4.75 per bedroom per night they were getting $133 per week (for the 4 br) from owners who stayed in their unit or in an rci exchange or $182 from non owners. I would have rather they started charging owners $25 per bedroom as part of the annual fee (a $50 increase from $50 to $100) for a 4 bedroom unit and still perhaps charged $25 per week (regardless of bedroom size for exchangers).

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
so, what is the total fee to stay in Shenandoah 2BR via RCI (on a last minute rental)? Is it $6.50/day per bedroom (so $13) plus additional resort fee? What is the resort fee? Is it still applicable during Covid? Thinking of Mid-Aug.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[QUOTE="elaine, post: 247264]
so, what is the total fee to stay in Shenandoah 2BR via RCI (on a last minute rental)? Is it $6.50/day per bedroom (so $13) plus additional resort fee? What is the resort fee? Is it still applicable during Covid? Thinking of Mid-Aug.
[/QUOTE]
I think as of this week they were still charging half- $3.25 per bedroom per night but that could go back up to $6.50 per bedroom per night at any time they decide to reinstate the whole fee. That is the resort fee so the fee for the week could be as much as $91 for the week.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If you are booking a week at Massanutten and RCI only shows a 4 BR (Summit or Woodstone) available, can you book a 4BR, only use one of the halves, and be charged for 2BRs of the resort fee versus 4?

Steve NH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you get your answer? My guess is if you book a 4 bdrm unit, you get charged Amenity fee for 4 bdrm, If you had two seperate 2 bdrms and only used one - you would be charged for amenity fees for 2 bdrms. (I do remember I once had a 2 bedroom and only myself and wife checking in, they did not care - still charged amenity fee for 2 bdrm usage) I have a 4 bdrm booked for April, I will ask when checking in.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The resort fee is based on the number of bedrooms in the unit you are staying in (at least for the Great Eastern resorts there .... everything but Mountainside). How many (or few) people are in your party does not factor into the resort fee calculation.

Did you get your answer? My guess is if you book a 4 bdrm unit, you get charged Amenity fee for 4 bdrm, If you had two seperate 2 bdrms and only used one - you would be charged for amenity fees for 2 bdrms. (I do remember I once had a 2 bedroom and only myself and wife checking in, they did not care - still charged amenity fee for 2 bdrm usage) I have a 4 bdrm booked for April, I will ask when checking in.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

What I still do not 100% know is if you have a 4BR and tell them you only want to use it as a 2BR lock-off (one side) if you can just pay the resort fee for a 2BR. @tschwa2 seems to think that is a possibility.