• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

restaurants-Newport and environs

Bxian

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an upcoming stay at the Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn in Jamestown, RI outside of Newport. I am aware of the bridge tolls to and from Newport-we'll deal with that.

Any thoughts on the following restaurants would be appreciated (looked at menus and know costs-interested in food quality primarily):
Bay Voyage Inn restaurant
Simpatico
Bouchard
Mama Luisa's
White Horse Tavern

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like Mama Luisa's! Can't say I have been to the others.

But, here is a good deal for gift cards from Newport Restaurant Group. Spend $500 and get $100 free. 9 different restaurants in the group - all great.

https://www.newportrestaurantgroup.com/

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been to them all over the years, here are my impressions:

Bay Voyage-great view of the Bay from the verandah, worth going for that reason. Food, once exceptional and once so so. Changes hands frequently so look for recent reviews.
Simpatico - busy, bustling, crowded, food OK on occasions there.
Bouchard's-expensive, most I've ever paid I think but Castlle Hill may have been close , but food outstanding. formal atmosphere.
Mama Luisa's- enjoyable, food quite good, better than I expected.
White Horse- almost a must see to dine at a historical tavern, food didn't seem exceptional but atmosphere wonderful.

e.bram

Reaction score
Try Oak Hill Tavern in Kingston(about 6 mi from Jamestown).
Shop at Dave's Market nearby.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Unless things have changed, there is a $4 toll each way on the Newport-Jamestown Bridge. You may want to plan accordingly.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Don't recall the restaurants you posted. Our favorites in Newport were 22 Bowen's and Pasta Beach.

Bxian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. More menus to check out!

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are open to suggestions to avoid dining in Newport may I suggest the Coast Guard House in Narragansett, 20 min or so. The Boat House in Tiverton may suit also but is a little further and more suitable for lunch.

Bxian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. We dined at Bouchard, Mamma Luisa's and Simpatico and agree with basham's assessments. We had a drink at the bar at the White Horse Tavern-did not eat there. Check-in host was full of himself (I think they were short handed and he was harried). However, Alejandro (bartender) was delightful and helped us concoct a new drink recipe. We did not eat there. We also enjoyed our meal at Brick Alley Tavern in Newport-bustling place with decent food that is convenient to shopping. We absolutely loved the Slice of Heaven breakfast/lunch place in Jamestown. I had originally planned to pick up yogurt and fruit for breakfast at the timeshare. However, after our initial trip to Slice of Heaven, all healthy dining thoughts went out the window :) Great bakery, as well as wonderful veggie and western omelets. FYI, rumor has it that the restaurant at the Bay Voyage Inn may close-one of the staff at Bay Voyage indicated that the restaurant owner was thinking of shutting down after the new year.
Yes, the bridge toll is annoying, but we planned our days so that we relaxed at the timeshare in the morning, went into Newport around noon, did our sightseeing and had an early dinner.
My full review of Bay Voyage Inn has been submitted to TUG and should be posted in a day or so if anyone is interested.