• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rio Mar Puerto Rico

cnicho

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All - We are traveling to Rio Mar in Puerto Rico and are wondering if it is worth having a car. We don't have any "set" plans yet for our stay...mostly looking at relaxing, but definitely would want to check out the rainforest at some point. Anyone who's been can you please let me know if it's worth it/needed to have a car and also any other "must do's" while we are there? Thanks in advance to all of you!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's quite a distance from San Juan or anything else. I think you'll want a car.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you want a car. And DON'T decline the insurance. It's very cheap and by the time you get five miles from the airport, you realize you may need it!

cnicho

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you want a car. And DON'T decline the insurance. It's very cheap and by the time you get five miles from the airport, you realize you may need it!

Are the roads bad? I usually decline whenever I rent a car and rely on my credit card for insurance....wondering if there is a difference in Puerto Rico and if I shouldn't do that.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roads not good - drivers much worse. Let's just say if I lived there my best car would be a 'beater'

I always decline the insurance also, but the add-on for the insurance the week I was there (2 yrs ago) was about $30 for the WHOLE week. If the insurance rates are like typical in the 50 states, then I would decline

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need a car. Everything is a drive away. It will take you 10 mins just to get back to the main road from Rio Mar. From there, it is less than 10 mins to the rain forest or the kiosks at Liquillo (sp?). Plus if you want to take a boat trip, you will need to drive to Farjado which will be around 30 mins on the main road.

I cant imagine that vacation without a car. Plus the prices for things at Rio Mar are outrageous. We went every day to a local bakery and would get breakfast sandwiches for $1.50 or $2 each. I noticed at Rio Mar, the same type of sandwiches were $7. Plus I doubt they were as good as the ones we got. We LOVED Puerto Rico - cant wait to go back.

Joe

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
We are planning a Rio Mar trip for next spring. Looking at a 1 BR Deluxe Ocean View. Any recommendations on room numbers? Thanks.

cnicho

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info....we did rent a car and definitely needed it!!! What an awesome resort and we have a fabulous time there. We had a deluxe oceanview room on the 6th floor....gorgeous view and not crowded at all when we were there. It was so nice not having to worry about looking for chairs by the pool, etc...it was a perfect relaxing vacation. Absolutely no complaints at all about the resort or anything, we will definitely be heading back there at some point in the future.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the info....we did rent a car and definitely needed it!!! What an awesome resort and we have a fabulous time there. We had a deluxe oceanview room on the 6th floor....gorgeous view and not crowded at all when we were there. It was so nice not having to worry about looking for chairs by the pool, etc...it was a perfect relaxing vacation. Absolutely no complaints at all about the resort or anything, we will definitely be heading back there at some point in the future.
I'm looking for a good room number to put into my February visit reservation. I'm looking for the same type of room, so if you would, please share the room number. Thanks!!!

cnicho

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good room number to put into my February visit reservation. I'm looking for the same type of room, so if you would, please share the room number. Thanks!!!

6122 was our room number and there view was gorgeous!!

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
6122 was our room number and there view was gorgeous!!
I just did a quick rebook and put that number in. Thanks so much!!!

steve_solo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any update on the status of PR?
We were there in Feb 2017 - pre-Irma.
I agree with all your comments about the beautiful resort and the ocean/pool view rooms.
I was wondering if the rainforest is totally open and how well the area around Rio Mar has recovered.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Rio Mar is fine. Pools are all open 3 of the eateries are open. Golf course has food eatery also. We were there last month for a week, the rain forest visitor center was closed and roads half way up were closed in rain forest. Expect hotel pricey food though. Rooms have a margaritaville blender / ice shaver. Save some money if you like foo foo drinks and make your own.

I skipped car insurance and was nervous every time I drove, as 85% of cars on road have damage on corners, wheel wells, and bumpers. But I survived... You will have tolls billed to you once your done. parking at resort can be challenging on the weekends they have vendors and other events and minimal spots.

Tfish

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need a car. Everything is a drive away. It will take you 10 mins just to get back to the main road from Rio Mar. From there, it is less than 10 mins to the rain forest or the kiosks at Liquillo (sp?). Plus if you want to take a boat trip, you will need to drive to Farjado which will be around 30 mins on the main road.

I cant imagine that vacation without a car. Plus the prices for things at Rio Mar are outrageous. We went every day to a local bakery and would get breakfast sandwiches for $1.50 or $2 each. I noticed at Rio Mar, the same type of sandwiches were $7. Plus I doubt they were as good as the ones we got. We LOVED Puerto Rico - cant wait to go back.

Joe
Bakery had great cheap sandwiches. Resort food prices were high and probably not as good as Bakery.

Mike

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Does anyone have a room number recommendation for the 1 bedroom presidential?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Puerto Ricans consider things like stop signs, orange and red lights, yield signs, and speed limits to be advisory -- mere suggestions, not to be taken too seriously.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bakery had great cheap sandwiches. Resort food prices were high and probably not as good as Bakery.

Mike
If you think the bakery is cheap on-site, go off site and pay 1/3 the price. Plus probably better food.

We must have ordered at least 20 egg and cheese or ham and cheese sandwiches on that sweet Puerto Rico Bread.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I skipped car insurance and was nervous every time I drove, as 85% of cars on road have damage on corners, wheel wells, and bumpers. But I survived... You will have tolls billed to you once your done. parking at resort can be challenging on the weekends they have vendors and other events and minimal spots.

Puerto Ricans consider things like stop signs, orange and red lights, yield signs, and speed limits to be advisory -- mere suggestions, not to be taken too seriously.

I drove everywhere during the week, including through a super crowded downtown San Juan. Never had a problem.

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark

Gee, that seems a log like California. :)

tomwisdo

Reaction score
I used a transportation company to get back and forth from the airport. This was a mistake on my part. I ended up renting a car at the resort. If I go back I will definitely rent a car at the airport, even if only for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

steve_solo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree on the need to have a car.
Before you go to PR, check your auto insurance to see if they cover the damage to a rental in PR. If so, you can decline coverage when you rent.
Some companies don't cover it so be careful.
As for rental companies - they have all the big names like Avis, Hertz, Dollar, etc but the local guy - called Charlie Car - was much more reasonably priced. They are off-site a couple miles away, but they had a van at the airport when we landed, right at our terminal. Quick to get back to airport when we left as well. I didn't find the driving as stressful as a big US city like Boston, DC , Miami.

tiara Burks

Reaction score

Joe
what bakeries did you get food from?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
We have a one bedroom PR oceanview reserved for early Feb 2020 for my wife's birthday - anyone have a good room number recommendation for us?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I drove everywhere during the week, including through a super crowded downtown San Juan. Never had a problem.

I lived there for three years but that was a while ago. Los puertorriqueños must have gotten righteous since then.