• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thank you this is very helpful. Since $9500 and $11,000did not pass, I may have to be closer to $3.00 per point. I wonder if there is any value to trying $11,000 again?

That's the age-old question. Despite my attempts to put some science behind ROFR, navigating it is still more of an art than a science. I would simply say if there are a lot of KoOlina properties out there on the market, it doesn't hurt to try and try again, or move your price up gradually. If what you are looking for is hard to find and getting what you want is more important than getting the lowest possible price, I might be inclined to move closer to a $3/pt price more rapidly.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I don't have time to do a more detailed look, but I think the problem with just looking at the last few months is not enough data. There are only 66 ROFR.net submissions since May 1. Of those, 41 Failed ROFR and only 25 passed, a pass rate of only 38%.

The problem is, there were only 2 submissions at an over $3/point valuation (both passed), and only 12 total submissions over $2/point (including the two $3+). So, here is what that very limited data shows:

$3/point or more: 2 TOTAL -- 2 pass; 0 fail --100% pass
$2/point or more: 12 TOTAL -- 7 pass; 5 fail -- 58% pass
Between $2/pt & $3/Pt -- 10 TOTAL -- 5 pass; 5 fail ---50% pass

So that reinforces that the odds improve over $3/point. But the data set is so small, I'm not sure it is meaningful.

Below is the raw data. Sorry for the eye test.

View attachment 8057

I thought there would be insufficient data, especially because you are trying to track trends that may have started only recently. That's why I suggested that you will have a better data set next year -- as Marriott's current game plan plays out (assuming Marriott even has a game plan, but that is another question entirely).

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
For points purchases, I believe, just based on threads I have read about pass/fail, that the number of points in the transaction is also a contributing factor to the price point. For instance, there is someone on a FB group trying to sell 6500 points. I would guess that a lower price, say $3, would potentially pass on that transaction, because Marriott would need to shell out $19,500 to buy it, or they could pass it and make $19,500 from the transfer fee. I know $19,500 is chump change to them, but they are probably getting several ROFR requests daily. Using that same $3, I'd guess 1000 points is going to fail, because Marriotts expense is much lower.

Total guesstimate here.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
For points purchases, I believe, just based on threads I have read about pass/fail, that the number of points in the transaction is also a contributing factor to the price point. For instance, there is someone on a FB group trying to sell 6500 points. I would guess that a lower price, say $3, would potentially pass on that transaction, because Marriott would need to shell out $19,500 to buy it, or they could pass it and make $19,500 from the transfer fee. I know $19,500 is chump change to them, but they are probably getting several ROFR requests daily. Using that same $3, I'd guess 1000 points is going to fail, because Marriotts expense is much lower.

Total guesstimate here.

That's a very intriguing theory, and one I hadn't considered. It makes sense that the ROFR decision might take into consideration the money they can make by letting it go through instead.

But as I thought about it, it made me sorta wonder why Marriott would exercise ROFR on ANY points purchase? Every points ROFR they exercise is costing them $3/point of pure profit that they don't get, PLUS the exercise price. In a sense, it is a double whammy of cost plus forgone revenue. Intriguing.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
That's a very intriguing theory, and one I hadn't considered. It makes sense that the ROFR decision might take into consideration the money they can make by letting it go through instead.

But as I thought about it, it made me sorta wonder why Marriott would exercise ROFR on ANY points purchase? Every points ROFR they exercise is costing them $3/point of pure profit that they don't get, PLUS the exercise price. In a sense, it is a double whammy of cost plus forgone revenue. Intriguing.
If you assume 40% of sales price is eaten up by marketing costs, at an average sales price of $11 per point, that nets them down to approx $7 per point less a ROFR price of say $4 to acquire the points, nets them approx the same $3 per point.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

Total guesstimate here.
Or the flip argument would be that MVC May prefer (cost per point being equal) to do one deal at 6500 points than 6.5 deals at 1000 points just to minimize closing costs and other administrative cost to complete the purchase.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello. I believe I’ve seen it before.... where can I find the chart for the conversion value of a fixed week to DP. For example I know a Cypress Harbor “sport season”week converts to 1975 DP Points.....

Thank you.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Last edited:

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Passed at $4750 on an EOY PLat Timber Lodge 2Bed Ski week (not a surprise)
failed on a GV Plat 2B EOY under $1000
passed (!) on a GRC 1Bedroom fractional - I'm awaiting visibility of the actual ROFR waiver in my hand before posting details in case I 'jinx' it!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Passed at $4750 on an EOY PLat Timber Lodge 2Bed Ski week (not a surprise)
failed on a GV Plat 2B EOY under $1000
passed (!) on a GRC 1Bedroom fractional - I'm awaiting visibility of the actual ROFR waiver in my hand before posting details in case I 'jinx' it!
Please post what your grand residence passes at. Was this a 1br that locks off or just a standard 1br unit? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so late to the recent conversation.

For Ko Olina, a number of years ago a 2BR OV was passing around $12k. I like to use the 30% figure that was mentioned a long time ago by GregT. When I bought my KO unit, it was $49644 before discounts. 30% of that puts it around $14,893. Using the Points measurement of 4950 points x the currently $11 price ($14 with 20$ discount) that puts you at $54450. And 30% of that comes out to $16,335.

If it were me, I'd try between the $14.9k and $16.3k figure for best shots at Ko Olina. You might be over paying a little but it's still better than what I paid with the developer.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think if I were looking to make an offer on a week right now, and if it was a week that I really wanted and one that didn't show up very often, I think I would be inclined to offer at least $3.00 to $3.25 per point based on the DP point value for that week - maybe even $3.50 if I really wanted to increase my chances of passing. I think it's futile to try to analytically find the precise break-point in the ROFR exercise/pass curve as there are so many variables we don't know (i.e. - the accuracy of the data posted on ROFR.net, and whether the price posted was indeed what was submitted by the seller to MVC). I do think we can see that as the price gets over about $3/point, the likelihood of ROFR starts to drop. It may still get ROFR'd, but the odds improve. Similarly, the break point on Destination Points ROFR seems to be in that same $3.25/point to $4.00/point range.

My Maui weeks that I bought mid-2017 came in at $3.24 per point. $34K price and the week would be worth 10500 if I could enroll it.
I sold an Ko Olina EOY for the equivalent of $2.83 per point, if it could be enrolled (2475 Points). However, from a seller stand-point, once you factor in their closing costs, it jumps up to $3.23 per point.

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Just to add to the seeming utter randomness that is Marriott's ROFR process... just received word today that my purchase of a Ko Olina 2br Oceanview (annual) passed at $4,700. I am even more surprised about this one than I was about my 2br Platinum Ocean Pointe that passed last year at $3,801.

Both of these were purchased via eBay (different sellers) from companies that are neither quick nor pleasant to deal with. That said, the price can't be beat. Pure speculation, but I wonder whether Marriott detests dealing with these companies even more than I do, and thus waives ROFR so they don't have to deal with them. My other guess is that perhaps the selling agencies are doing something nefarious with the ROFR request, but it's impossible for me to know since they don't share the details with me despite my requests.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just to add to the seeming utter randomness that is Marriott's ROFR process... just received word today that my purchase of a Ko Olina 2br Oceanview passed at $4,700.

I take it was an eoy ownership or was it an annual unit? Thanks

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
I take it was an eoy ownership or was it an annual unit? Thanks

Annual. Will edit above for clarity. Will also post to ROFR.net.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Just to add to the seeming utter randomness that is Marriott's ROFR process... just received word today that my purchase of a Ko Olina 2br Oceanview (annual) passed at $4,700. I am even more surprised about this one than I was about my 2br Platinum Ocean Pointe that passed last year at $3,801.

Both of these were purchased via eBay (different sellers) from companies that are neither quick nor pleasant to deal with. That said, the price can't be beat. Pure speculation, but I wonder whether Marriott detests dealing with these companies even more than I do, and thus waives ROFR so they don't have to deal with them. My other guess is that perhaps the selling agencies are doing something nefarious with the ROFR request, but it's impossible for me to know since they don't share the details with me despite my requests.

Any idea if it was a bankruptcy sale? I believe they avoid those like the plague.

Irrespective, congrats on the fantastic deal and hope all is as it appears!

Best,

Greg

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Any idea if it was a bankruptcy sale? I believe they avoid those like the plague.

Irrespective, congrats on the fantastic deal and hope all is as it appears!

Best,

Greg
Not sure. My Ocean Pointe purchase did not seem to be judging from the deed and other paperwork I was able to see, but don't know the seller details about this Ko Olina one yet.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
That is a great price. About the same as what we paid but ours was definitely a bankruptcy situation.
Congratulations.

Best regards.

Mike

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now that is a steal at $4700 annual OV mko.
Annual. Will edit above for clarity. Will also post to ROFR.net.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
See? All you can do is make offers and hope.
Great buy.

magicjourney

Reaction score
Did a quick search on ebay, but didn't find the auction you referred to in the past three months.
Just be careful there is a notorious group from Tennessee under different user ids selling many premier timeshares at very low price, but people have to fight to get money back at the end. There was a long tug thread on this.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Thank you, this is very helpful.

I'm so late to the recent conversation.

For Ko Olina, a number of years ago a 2BR OV was passing around $12k. I like to use the 30% figure that was mentioned a long time ago by GregT. When I bought my KO unit, it was $49644 before discounts. 30% of that puts it around $14,893. Using the Points measurement of 4950 points x the currently $11 price ($14 with 20$ discount) that puts you at $54450. And 30% of that comes out to $16,335.

If it were me, I'd try between the $14.9k and $16.3k figure for best shots at Ko Olina. You might be over paying a little but it's still better than what I paid with the developer.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Wow, they exercised on my offers of 9,500 and 11,000. Which EBay company did you work with and did you have to pay the full amount when the auction ended? It seems like many want the full amount paid immediately and do not use escrow.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hmmm Sounds like a Yoda line.....

"Pay me now....regret you later"

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
Hmmm Sounds like a Yoda line.....

"Pay me now....regret you later"

Agreed, and I am approaching it with eyes wide open. I paid via credit card, so if need be can file a dispute with the card company. I was similarly skeptical with my Ocean Pointe purchase in 2017. Thought it might be a scam. Was unimpressed with the communication from the company. At many points almost pulled the trigger to file a dispute with my credit card company, but remained patient. After about 3 months of me pestering them every week or two, the deal finally closed, deed recorded, and the week showed up appropriately in my MVC account. Traveled to Ocean Pointe using that purchase this Spring, and am headed back again for spring break 2019.

So far the transaction on the Ko Olina week has proceeded in much the same (painfully slow) way as that prior experience. It still remains to be seen whether the deal actually closes and the deed officially records this time. Best case scenario, it does. Worst case scenario, I am out about $5000 (or more likely, have to file a dispute with my credit card company to be made whole). It is a calculated risk that I'm rolling the dice on.