• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nah, I think it’s more that you buy so many weeks Joe, they are running out of $ :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The funny thing is I never thought it would go through so now i have to fund these 2 units which I really wasn't expecting to do.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
The funny thing is I never thought it would go through so now i have to fund these 2 units which I really wasn't expecting to do.
I think that we both have the disease. I have 4 different MOC that I’m trying to purchase that I’m waiting on ROFR. What if they all pass?? Geezz....

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are fixed week 32 Lahina tower. What is your week for 2019?
Aug 9th check-in. We're there Aug 11th-24th so if family uses they will be there before us. I'm in an Original OF for the first week and then Lahaina OV second week.

Vacation fun

Reaction score
We went to a presentation this week. Marriott is buying these up to do bundles with buyers so the buyer buys them then from Marriott and they make you buy points to go with it. Example Plantium Grand Vista 2 bedroom selling at $10,900. With the purchase of 2500 points

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We went to a presentation this week. Marriott is buying these up to do bundles with buyers so the buyer buys them then from Marriott and they make you buy points to go with it. Example Plantium Grand Vista 2 bedroom selling at $10,900. With the purchase of 2500 points

Most of the information we've heard here on TUG from more trustworthy sources (i.e. - not coming from a sales person's mouth) is that the weeks Marriott acquires through ROFR go directly into the MVC Trust to provide cheaply-acquired points to sell (cheaper than building new resorts), and are not resold (possible exceptions are Aruba, St Kitts, and Europe weeks, since those can't be put in the Trust, and thus must be resold). Every bundle I've been offered or heard of others being offered are true resale weeks where Marriott is operating as the broker between buyer and seller. The one bundle we bought was such a transaction, and the transaction was between us and a Seller from Ohio, with Marriott as the broker.

If you think about it from a business standpoint, if Marriott can acquire a week via ROFR for a price that equates to $1-$3 per point for the point value of that week, and then can sell those points for $11-$14 per point, they can make a heck of a lot more money than selling that as a week. Using your $10,900 Platinum 2BR Grande Vista as an example, that week is worth 2775 points. If they can exercise ROFR at, let's say, $1000 to $3000 (prices that have failed ROFR on rofr.net), their cost for those 2775 points would be around $1 per point or less. But they can resell them for a discounted price of around $11-$12 per point, or $30,000 to $33,000. So, they can earn three times the revenue they would earn by reselling the reacquired week for $10,900.

Vacation fun

Reaction score
Most of the information we've heard here on TUG from more trustworthy sources (i.e. - not coming from a sales person's mouth) is that the weeks Marriott acquires through ROFR go directly into the MVC Trust to provide cheaply-acquired points to sell (cheaper than building new resorts), and are not resold (possible exceptions are Aruba, St Kitts, and Europe weeks, since those can't be put in the Trust, and thus must be resold). Every bundle I've been offered or heard of others being offered are true resale weeks where Marriott is operating as the broker between buyer and seller. The one bundle we bought was such a transaction, and the transaction was between us and a Seller from Ohio, with Marriott as the broker.

If you think about it from a business standpoint, if Marriott can acquire a week via ROFR for a price that equates to $1-$3 per point for the point value of that week, and then can sell those points for $11-$14 per point, they can make a heck of a lot more money than selling that as a week. Using your $10,900 Platinum 2BR Grande Vista as an example, that week is worth 2775 points. If they can exercise ROFR at, let's say, $1000 to $3000 (prices that have failed ROFR on rofr.net), their cost for those 2775 points would be around $1 per point or less. But they can resell them for a discounted price of around $11-$12 per point, or $30,000 to $33,000. So, they can earn three times the revenue they would earn by reselling the reacquired week for $10,900.
Good point !!

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That's exactly what I was told when I talked to a couple of people over the phone at Marriott this week in the resale department. Any "week(s)", acquired by Marriott through ROFR are put back into the trust but if an owner wants to have Marriott resell their week or buy their week directly from them then they resell those "week(s)" in a bundle package and they may even resell that week to someone who just wants to buy a a resale week, from my understanding of our conversations. I talked to their acquisition and resale department in the past few days and from what you are saying, it lines up with what they told me this week.

Last edited:

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have an offer in on a 2BR OV annual usage at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club, what are your thoughts as to it passing ROFR at 16k (includes closing costs, transfer fees, etc.)?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an offer in on a 2BR OV annual usage at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club, what are your thoughts as to it passing ROFR at 16k (includes closing costs, transfer fees, etc.)?
This will be a good test because I don't think we've seen a OV test ROFR lately. Good luck.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Are you talking about original towers or new towers? If original towers, we passed about 18 months ago on an EOY at $8,000, so you would be exactly double that. So my guess would be for original towers, your odds would be good that it would pass. For the new towers, I would guess $16K might fail.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you talking about original towers or new towers? If original towers, we passed about 18 months ago on an EOY at $8,000, so you would be exactly double that. So my guess would be for original towers, your odds would be good that it would pass. For the new towers, I would guess $16K might fail.
Thanks for the info. Yes, it would be the original towers. Question - when I find out, do I enter on ROFR.net 16k (with closing costs) or 15k (without closing costs)? Was your 8k EOY purchase with you paying closing costs?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks for the info. Yes, it would be the original towers. Question - when I find out, do I enter on ROFR.net 16k (with closing costs) or 15k (without closing costs)? Was your 8k EOY purchase with you paying closing costs?

My $8K was not counting closing, but I paid closing, so my out of pocket was about $8600. But what was submitted to Marriott was the contract that specified the sales price of $8K. The closing costs are irrelevant to MVC because they do their own closings.

What to put on rofr.net has been a subject of considerable debate here on TUG. I'm fairly sure there is no consistency in the data, as I know some have logged in the price without closing and others have used the all-in price. That is a limitation of the data I believe.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My $8K was not counting closing, but I paid closing, so my out of pocket was about $8600. But what was submitted to Marriott was the contract that specified the sales price of $8K. The closing costs are irrelevant to MVC because they do their own closings.

What to put on rofr.net has been a subject of considerable debate here on TUG. I'm fairly sure there is no consistency in the data, as I know some have logged in the price without closing and others have used the all-in price. That is a limitation of the data I believe.
I do put the full amount because i did think that is how Marriott sees it so all my numbers include my all-in costs.

Also for us vets of TUG it is interesting to look back at our ROFR entries from years back. I see in 2008 I bought a number of Newport Coasts for about $16k. Now they sell for $8k.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great news, Marriott just waived their right of first refusal on my 2BR annual OV purchase at MOC so it looks like I will be buying it. I don't have the paperwork back yet but escrow just let me know that it's going to me. I'm buying a couple of 1BR units at MOC also and they are going in for ROFR today, we will see how those go.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news, Marriott just waived their right of first refusal on my 2BR annual OV purchase at MOC so it looks like I will be buying it. I don't have the paperwork back yet but escrow just let me know that it's going to me. I'm buying a couple of 1BR units at MOC also and they are going in for ROFR today, we will see how those go.
That is great news for you. You can't beat the LO value of the 2BDRM units. They are a great value for use and rental purposes.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
Congrats. Seems like more Maui weeks are passing ROFR the last couple weeks. As I mentioned in a previous post, two of mine passed recently as well. Makes you wonder.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats. Seems like more Maui weeks are passing ROFR the last couple weeks. As I mentioned in a previous post, two of mine passed recently as well. Makes you wonder.
Thank you. Congrats to you too! Ya, maybe they are letting some go, mine is passing for 16k (all in, including closing, etc.). On the waiver that I just got back from Marriott the price is shows $15,000 on their document so maybe 15k would fly either way, who knows. At least we have a little info. now on 2 BR annual ocean view in the original building. I'll see how my other ROFR's go soon.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I do put the full amount because i did think that is how Marriott sees it so all my numbers include my all-in costs.

Thank you. Congrats to you too! Ya, maybe they are letting some go, mine is passing for 16k (all in, including closing, etc.). On the waiver that I just got back from Marriott the price is shows $15,000 on their document so maybe 15k would fly either way, who knows. At least we have a little info. now on 2 BR annual ocean view in the original building. I'll see how my other ROFR's go soon.

What Shaun says above is how I have been told Marriott looks at ROFR - i.e. just the contract purchase price not including closing - not the all-in price with closing. The reason given was that Marriott does their own closing so external closing costs are not relevant. The waivers I received on my purchases also showed only the purchase price, not the price with closing. I paid closing on all of mine, but for the above reasons, I do not include closing in what I post on ROFR.net.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What Shaun says above is how I have been told Marriott looks at ROFR - i.e. just the contract purchase price not including closing - not the all-in price with closing. The reason given was that Marriott does their own closing so external closing costs are not relevant. The waivers I received on my purchases also showed only the purchase price, not the price with closing. I paid closing on all of mine, but for the above reasons, I do not include closing in what I post on ROFR.net.
I would tend to agree with that because the $15,000 is what was on the waiver form from Marriott. The confusing part is that several agents that I spoke with said that 15k would never go through and that Marriott had bought back a a couple in the $15,500 (net price) range. So, who knows....

CDD

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott MOC
This will be a good test because I don't think we've seen a OV test ROFR lately. Good luck.
I bought a bi-annual 2bed OV there for $8750 recently that passed - so I agree that this will be a good test to see if $16K will pass. What happened to the 1 bed MOC EOY OF that was for sale for a low price - $2500 or something like that?

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bought a bi-annual 2bed OV there for $8750 recently that passed - so I agree that this will be a good test to see if $16K will pass. What happened to the 1 bed MOC EOY OF that was for sale for a low price - $2500 or something like that?
I do have the letter that was forwarded to me from the escrow company with Marriott saying that they are waiving their right to exercise ROFR at the $15,000 (without closing costs) so I think I'm good to go. The EOY Oceanfront 1BR low price of $2,500 didn't pass, just like everyone kind of figured.

CDD

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott MOC
I just realized I missed some posts - congrats on your purchase!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I just realized that when Tuggers put in low ball offers and Marriott buys it back, you are doing Marriott a huge favor!

Sure it helps MVC. I now believe low ball buyers are also doing a favor for sellers by helping them to unload quickly because life happens and ROFR can often be the fastest, most secure way to relieve them of their burden. It also helps existing owners by removing low end inventory quickly out of the market, making offers for resale more profitable for seller when it is waived and goes to a buyer.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Sure it helps MVC. I now believe low ball buyers are also doing a favor for sellers by helping them to unload quickly because life happens and ROFR can often be the fastest, most secure way to relieve them of their burden. It also helps existing owners by removing low end inventory quickly out of the market, making offers for resale more profitable for seller when it is waived and goes to a buyer.

It is sort of like buying a house in a short sale or in foreclosure.