• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sampler Just Purchased in Arizona

Talya

Reaction score
If you accept the offer, DRI may activate your contract again and you will be on the hook for the money that your contract was for originally (3,995.00).
Hadn't thought of that. :( They owe me my $150 back or a freebie. It's not a question of 'accepting' an offer - unless you mean the added night/day. I paid a 'marker' of $150 to be refunded when I used the freebie. I can't see that it would be conflated with the Sampler purchase/rescission. @TUGBrian what do you think?
Do you really feel that a free trip is worth all the aggravation that you may have to deal with a second time? Throw these invitations out or unsubscribe from their mailing list and forward the email to the BBB and your credit card company so they know how sneaky they are and some people may also fall for the trap.
Not e-mails - these are phone calls. Won't be able to talk to them until tomorrow (Monday). The VoiceMail message says the rep is 'at home'. Not being e-mails I have nothing to send to the BBB. :(

At the time that I went back to the resort the second time and they gave me the 'deal' of two nights for $25 (I was a walk-in) I didn't have my paperwork for the deal I had signed up for on my previous visit in May. I said nothing to them because I thought I had to have the paperwork to get the deal. Now that I think about it, I possibly showed up in their system as having that 3/4 deal. Maybe. But they were booked starting the weekend - and would not have been able to lodge me for the full 3/4 anyway, so I took the 2 nights, which meant I didn't get my $150 refunded to my cc as would have been the case had I been using that 3/4 deal. I guess.

I can live with losing $150 but I will ask them to refund me the $150 as suggested. They may state that I can only get the money back if I stay the 3/4, or accept the 'upgrade' to 4/5. How could that transaction get conflated with the Sampler business? :shrug:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
never hurts to ask.

Talya

Reaction score
never hurts to ask.
Ask what, @TUGBrian ? Ask to get the $150 back?

If they say no, I must do the freebie, then should I just do 3/4 or accept the upgrade to 4/5? Maybe I ask for the offer in an e-mail (in writing) with a clear statement that the freebie is not connected to the Sampler dispute/contract, which stands as resolved.

Another avenue is when I call Amex to verify that the Sampler charge is not to be re-instated, I could mention the $150, though I believe in that instance I am long since past the dispute window for the cc charge.

Talya

Reaction score
You were right the first time. If I were in her place, I wouldn't chance staying there. Walk away from $150 is a lot better than walking away from almost $4000!
I agree, @taffy19 - but I now have a sneaking suspicion that they knew I had outlaid the $150 and purposely ignored it, so that those 2 free nights actually did cost me $175. That's $87.50 a night and as a walk-in that's about as good as it gets at a resort in Sedona in a very nice 1 bedroom. So.....I'd be willing to let this go.

Still want to call them to see what's what. Or do you think even that is ill-advised? Thing is I am on their books and will likely be getting these calls till the cows come home unless I settle with them in some way. I guess.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I certainly won't be signing up for anything - but it's a free 4 night/5 day stay. Nothing to sneeze at.

Santa Fe you say? Weather nice? ;)

A bit on the nippy side for us Los Angelenos. We went out to breakfast in jackets and vests, with a scarf for me -- mid 50s.

izzymail

Reaction score
I agree, @taffy19 - but I now have a sneaking suspicion that they knew I had outlaid the $150 and purposely ignored it, so that those 2 free nights actually did cost me $175. That's $87.50 a night and as a walk-in that's about as good as it gets at a resort in Sedona in a very nice 1 bedroom. So.....I'd be willing to let this go.

Still want to call them to see what's what. Or do you think even that is ill-advised? Thing is I am on their books and will likely be getting these calls till the cows come home unless I settle with them in some way. I guess.

Just FYI....I am still getting calls from DRI asking if I'm ready to book my first "Sampler" trip. After I tell them it was cancelled, they pause for a moment and then say something like "Oh yes, I see that now, I will make sure our system gets updated"... only to call back in a couple weeks. I also kept getting Sampler promotional emails until I unsubscribed. I think they are so just disorganized that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Personally I don't think it would affect your agreement with the Sampler UNLESS they somehow categorized it as a Sampler trip and/or used your Sampler points to book the trip Also of concern, I was "awarded" a free trip at our visit as one of our original "rewards", but while we were buying the Sampler they told us that we would not be eligible to take them up on that until AFTER the 2 year Sampler period was over. I would probably just try to get my $150 back. If you really wanted to book the trip, I would wait until everything is completely finalized with the refund/dispute. Also be prepared for a 3+ hour session! Unless you just inform your representative that you have filed complaints about their sales process before, that might "expedite" your visit ;). However once they determine your history, they could try to hold back on your reward or charge you "retail" price for the stay as it states in the fine print, by saying that you were not a "qualified prospect" for the offer (I have not experienced this but I have read stories like this). For this reason personally I would try to get my $$$ back and RUN! :wave:

Talya

Reaction score
Just FYI....I am still getting calls from DRI asking if I'm ready to book my first "Sampler" trip. After I tell them it was cancelled, they pause for a moment and then say something like "Oh yes, I see that now, I will make sure our system gets updated"... only to call back in a couple weeks. I also kept getting Sampler promotional emails until I unsubscribed. I think they are so just disorganized that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

I guess. o_O I haven't called them back yet (life has been happening, as it is prone to do). However, after two reps left their information, a week or so went by and I then started getting more calls (same number) but with no messages. Plus they call me at ungodly hours, like 6:00 a.m. Today they called at 6:45 a.m. and I decided to answer the phone - and guess what? I heard the exchange in the background (noises, voices, etc), but whoever called hung up without saying anything. :rolleyes: Can you beat that!

Personally I don't think it would affect your agreement with the Sampler UNLESS they somehow categorized it as a Sampler trip and/or used your Sampler points to book the trip Also of concern, I was "awarded" a free trip at our visit as one of our original "rewards", but while we were buying the Sampler they told us that we would not be eligible to take them up on that until AFTER the 2 year Sampler period was over.

Interesting what they do. :confused:

I would probably just try to get my $150 back. If you really wanted to book the trip, I would wait until everything is completely finalized with the refund/dispute.

Which has just happened btw. The end of last week the money got plopped back into my account creating a negative balance since Amex has removed the charge pending the outcome of the investigation. I called Amex and they told me that they would re-instate the charge, thus cancelling the credit out. I also asked them if DRI never contacted them would I have won the dispute by default. They said yes, I would have.

Consider the timing of those first two calls I got, though. First the two calls which left information for me to call back but did not get a response from me, and a few days later the money is refunded. It seems too detailed to be an intentional attempt to continue the scam with me. I can't believe they would be functioning at that level of premeditated nasty. I think you're right, they don't know what all their 'parts' are doing. It just looks very bad. The cosmetics are not good. People then draw unfortunate conclusions.

Also be prepared for a 3+ hour session! Unless you just inform your representative that you have filed complaints about their sales process before, that might "expedite" your visit ;). However once they determine your history, they could try to hold back on your reward or charge you "retail" price for the stay as it states in the fine print, by saying that you were not a "qualified prospect" for the offer (I have not experienced this but I have read stories like this).

Thank you for this. I had been wondering about this possibility, in fact. Better just to be done with them. I agree. :thumbup:

For this reason personally I would try to get my $$$ back and RUN! :wave:

I will call one of the reps back to discuss the situation. Hopefully I will get the $150 back, but if not, I can say: lesson learned, and walk on, and feel okay. :thumbup: The $87.50 each for those two nights was an okay deal (for me as a walk-in given what I got for a room).

BTW I usually do a late walk-in and get great rates. One has to be willing to not get a room, of course, but if one has the flexibility (and I usually do) one can get some great deals. But also my needs are not great. I'm okay with simple rooms, etc. (I don't travel the way TUGgers do, methinks). But recently I got a suite at a Marriott for the price of a walk-in. Three nights. It was great. :thumbup:

P.S. I'll let you know the final outcome of the $150. :cool:

P.P.S. And as always, thank you for sharing your street-savvy wisdom, @izzymail. :)

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they are so just disorganized that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

As an involuntary DRI owner (resorts acquired by DRI), it is unbelievable how disorganized this company appears to be in all departments. It requires so much time and energy to "right" things with them. :doh:

Talya

Reaction score
@Anres Place your questions on this thread rather than in a conversation to me. :) More people will see your questions and be available to answer, especially TUGBrian. :thumbup:

Talya

Reaction score
BTW just to wrap up regarding the $150. :rolleyes: Nothing is ever 'simple' with DRI it seems, but there are good people in their system.

I kept getting sales calls from DRI to initiate the 3/4 vacation, until I returned the call of one sales rep whose message was enunciated and clear. This man was amazingly sympathetic. He was trying to sell me, and he started telling me that the $150 was for 'coupons' (or something, I am hazy on that, but he was telling me it was in the system as a purchase of something). I was adamant that I had been told it was a 'hold' and would be refunded after I attended the sales pitch. I told him about my Sampler purchase and the Sampler refund and the complaint to the BB. I told him I could no longer do business with DRI. He put me on hold and came back on assuring me that the $150 would be refunded - that someone 'seriously high up' was approving the refund, as was he. I would be called within 3 days - by the coming Monday - by someone who would confirm the refund with me. Okay.

What follows were many calls from the sales number (area code 240 - strangely - which is Maryland). Some leave messages but most do not, and not all calls but most calls are coming through at very early in the morning.

Finally I am able to pick up and I get a sales rep that gives me a phone number and extension I am to call 'in case we get disconnected'. (This is new). He states, very purposely: "Do you agree to this?" I say yes even though I have not been able to write down the phone number and extension number. He seems delighted with my answer and within seconds of my saying I agree, we get disconnected. o_O

I still have the phone number and extension of the previous sales rep who assured me of a refund so I figure I will call him. It's way past the 3-day deadline for the confirming call. However, life is busy and complicated and days slip by. Maybe a week or more has past - early last week I noticed a credit showing up in my Amex account - and sure enough - DRI has refunded me the $149. Done.

So there were at least two people in the DRI system that not only behaved well, but one of those people (I am assuming) followed up on the agreement to me to refund and made sure it happened without the 'confirmation call' with me. So.

What a learning experience! But alls well that ends well. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW just to wrap up regarding the $150. :rolleyes: Nothing is ever 'simple' with DRI it seems, but there are good people in their system.

What a learning experience! But alls well that ends well. :thumbup:

Yes, there are some good people in their system, no doubt. But they are hard to find and go against the grain. DRI does a good "smoke and mirrors" job in pretending to be all about the owners and "staying vacationed." Thank goodness for the good people in their system. I have found a couple. I had several resorts where I owned and was happy. Then DRI acquired them and changed things to the detriment of my happiness as an owner. I am currently trying to extricate myself from this relationship. I don't like how they do business.

Yes, all's well that ends well. I'm happy for those that put up the good fight and are victors in the end.

Way to go!

Talya

Reaction score
I had several resorts where I owned and was happy. Then DRI acquired them and changed things to the detriment of my happiness as an owner. I am currently trying to extricate myself from this relationship. I don't like how they do business.

Curiously, @Egret1986 , this past week I was listening to Sirius in my car and an ad came up for a company that helps people get out of timeshares. Now that could be as much of a scam as the timeshare companies themselves, but maybe there are people who do know how to do the extrication. :( One would hope so. My 'wins' were small potatoes - $149 and $3995 - I can only guess at the grief when its tens of thousands of dollars at stake, especially in these times.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curiously, @Egret1986 , this past week I was listening to Sirius in my car and an ad came up for a company that helps people get out of timeshares. Now that could be as much of a scam as the timeshare companies themselves, but maybe there are people who do know how to do the extrication. :( One would hope so. My 'wins' were small potatoes - $149 and $3995 - I can only guess at the grief when its tens of thousands of dollars at stake, especially in these times.

There's lots and lots of threads here on TUG about companies that say they can help people get out of their timeshares. These companies charge upfront fees and have different MO's, but essentially all are scams. Just like the timeshare developers, their main objective is separating you from your cash. Once they have your upfront cash, there is little incentive to do anything more and most don't. Some may put a listing up for the timeshare that is over-priced and will find no takers. They don't care, they've already made their money by charging thousands upfront with promises and lies just like the unscrupulous developers. Others simply do nothing and disappear with the cash. The grief escalates because those poor folks fell for the scam and have lost more of their money and still own the timeshare.

Fortunately, you were proactive and took action, and with the support of Tuggers you came out a winner. Congratulations!

mrswolfe

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I hope someone can help me. Very stupidly signed up to the Sample package in Las Vegas. We had just started our vacation and thought we were at the check in desk of the hotel. Next thing we know we have been persuaded to attend the DRI presentation.
We went to the presentation fully knowing we would not buy a timeshare; but somehow got talked into buying a sample package (5hrs later). I remember asking specific questions and we were told:
1. Yes, we would use points for tickets, car rentals and accommodation ( we could also use for shopping they said
2. We could use for any location. The rep even showed me a map on the wall that had a listing of “where we could go”
We stupidly signed, got home to begin planning and found out all the details in the contract with no option to cancel.

Next day returned to their Polo Towers location and started getting the run around( they don’t have the power to do anything, write to their head office bla bla bla). I wrote and got the so-called marketing manager to acknowledge receipt. I also sent a copy by certified mail. What else Can I do but wait and hope? I made a down payment of about $400 and financed the rest (I didn’t even know interest was at 20% till I was reading the contract at home).
Anything else I can do?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly that you sent the rescission letter to the Business office within the legal timeframe (by midnight of 5th calendar day), you should be fine, and get all your money back.

Glad you found us in time. Merry Christmas!

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I didn't answer your question. Nope. It looks like you did what you could. And they have 45 days to refund the payment and don't have to notify you. I know it's stressful, but stay off the phones with them. One thing, if they DO call you, you'll know they are working on the rescission.

mrswolfe

Reaction score
I thought I was screwed as the contract said there was no right of rescission. Truly glad I found this site or my holiday would have been totally ruined with worrying. I usually research before I commit to things. Serious lapse in judgement on my part! Will keep you all posted. Merry Christmas to everyone! Have a great holiday season!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
:banana:
I thought I was screwed as the contract said there was no right of rescission. Truly glad I found this site or my holiday would have been totally ruined with worrying. I usually research before I commit to things. Serious lapse in judgement on my part! Will keep you all posted. Merry Christmas to everyone! Have a great holiday season!

:thumbup:

Merry Christmas!!!!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Just as a warning while all states mandate a rescission period for timeshares not all states have such a law regarding vacation sampler/discovery packages. Just because someone could rescind in Arizona doesn't mean that you can when purchased in Nevada. I am pretty sure that DRI does not honor rescission of sampler packages if you purchased in a state without a mandated rescission period. The fact that your contract states no rescission is a bad sign as I don't think DRI would be so brazen as to put something like that in writing as a part of a legal contract if it violated state law. I think you might as well try because if you didn't send in the rescission request you would have no possibility to cancel. Hopefully Nevada does have a rescission period for vacation packages or DRI will honor the rescission even if they aren't required to by Nevada state law.

Talya

Reaction score

I know what you mean. o_O When it hits you what you've done.....:doh:

This link gives the timeframes for the various states: https://rcivip.com/timeshare-rescission-period-in-us/

Note that there is a distinction made between business days and calendar days.

What I learned when I was trying to get the rescission was to just keep trying. The Sampler is a very difficult one since it is not covered by the timeshare laws governing purchase. Still, most places have buyer's remorse laws and as TUGBrian states you cannot sign away your legal rights.

Don't know your full story but consider a BBB complaint, especially if you're within the 5-day 'cooling off' period. This thread - but particularly several others to do with rescission - have great resources. Hang in there! :thumbup:

Talya

Reaction score

Same thing happened with me, however, I did get a rescission and full refund of my Sampler purchase. (FYI: Story sequence is within this thread). Two key elements seem to be operating -

Besides sending in one's intent to rescind within the allotted 'cooling off' period, what seems to be key is - if one paid by credit card, to initiate a dispute. If DRI does not respond to the cc dispute, you win the dispute by default.

Plus, a Better Business Bureau complaint (can be done on-line) was amazingly effective (in my case).

mrswolfe

Reaction score
Just as a warning while all states mandate a rescission period for timeshares not all states have such a law regarding vacation sampler/discovery packages. Just because someone could rescind in Arizona doesn't mean that you can when purchased in Nevada. I am pretty sure that DRI does not honor rescission of sampler packages if you purchased in a state without a mandated rescission period. The fact that your contract states no rescission is a bad sign as I don't think DRI would be so brazen as to put something like that in writing as a part of a legal contract if it violated state law. I think you might as well try because if you didn't send in the rescission request you would have no possibility to cancel. Hopefully Nevada does have a rescission period for vacation packages or DRI will honor the rescission even if they aren't required to by Nevada state law.

I have read that the Sampler packages are a bit different and have my fingers crossed. But I better try than not do anything, right? Nevada has 5 days to rescind a timeshare purchase.

mrswolfe

Reaction score
Same thing happened with me, however, I did get a rescission and full refund of my Sampler purchase. (FYI: Story sequence is within this thread). Two key elements seem to be operating -

Besides sending in one's intent to rescind within the allotted 'cooling off' period, what seems to be key is - if one paid by credit card, to initiate a dispute. If DRI does not respond to the cc dispute, you win the dispute by default.

Plus, a Better Business Bureau complaint (can be done on-line) was amazingly effective (in my case).
Talya, your story inspired me and I’m hoping it turns out well for me too! Already filed a complaint with BBB. Called my credit card company to also dispute the deposit charge. They have asked that I wait till my account is debited for the amount then I can dispute.
So, I think I’ve done all I need to do, now to sit and wait. Perhaps i’ll start getting calls by tomorrow.
I should write “I will never sign a contract without first taking the document home to do research “ 1000 lines just to be sure I’ve learned my lesson:):(

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talya, your story inspired me and I’m hoping it turns out well for me too! Already files a complaint with BBB. Called my credit card company to also Dispute the deposit charge. They have asked that I wait till my account is debuted for the amount then I can Dispute.
So, I think I’ve done all I need to do, now to sit and wait. Perhaps i’ll start getting calls by tomorrow.
I should write “I will never sign a contract without first taking the document home to do research “ 1000 lines just to be sure I’ve learned my lesson:):(

Great that you found TUG and this thread!

May your efforts be fruitful.