• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sands of Ka hana election for the Board

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The annual election for the board of directors will occur later in October.

There are a number of owners who want better representation on the board. Right now, there is (as far as I know) only one real owner on the board but he is more of a figurehead and is not active in meetings (if/when) held.

There are four people running for the three positions this year. Two of them work for AS-NY (the parent company of the management company, So-leil). The third has (at least in the past) provided the insurance for the Sands. All of them tout that they are owners. But I've read that they were given their timeshares in order to qualify them to run for the BOD (I don't know that as an absolute fact but I've read it numerous times).

So - - this year's election shenanigans? First, I received an email from the Vacation club alerting me that I "You will be receiving a large white envelope marked Sands of Kahana with a read stripe that contains a letter and a Proxy in connection with the upcoming director election. If you are not able to attend the meeting, please complete the Proxy and either fax it, email it or mail it using the postage-paid envelope enclosed in the packet." But for those that didn't catch it, the Proxy assigns all of the possible BOD votes to the vacation club to assign as THEY SEE FIT. I was told that they always assign the proxy assignment votes to the incumbents. Next, I received a ROBO call that said about the same thing. But neither of them said anything about actually voting for one or more of the four candidates. Then I opened today's mail and find the "real" ballot (you know, the one with candidate names that you can select). It came in a non-descript small envelope. Inside I found the ballot that is a "self-mailer". An owner is supposed to vote, sign and than fold it **** and send it back. I put asterisks because there is no mention on whether it is necessary to seal it, or exactly HOW it is supposed to be sealed. The USPS has lengthy and confusing directions on how to seal a self-mailer. I think that if a person seals it on the long dimension of the self-mailer that it is unacceptable and may result in it getting stuck somewhere. But as I said, it is confusing. So for the real ballot, we are given a only a single sheet self-mailer. For the proxy assignment to the vacation club, it includes a real post-paid envelope (inside the flashy white and red large envelope).

So, the fourth candidate is Bruce Rogers. He bought his timeshare on ebay. He doesn't work for So-leil, AS-NY or have any conflict-of-interest. To be fair, the Sands has made a bunch of improvements recently - - but only after receiving year-over-year criticism from the Sands of Kahana Concerned Owners group (not affiliated with So-leil, AS-NY). (You can register for the SOKCO and get periodic updates from SOKCO.info ) But I think that the credit for the recent improvements probably goes more to the on-island management than the board. I've read reports that it is typical at the BOD annual meeting that several of the board member don't show up. And I've read that when owners have asked for board minutes that they were told that there weren't any recent board meetings. So, my personal belief is that the board is only there for show and that they really aren't guiding things or reviewing the activities and expenses made by the management company.

I think that some of the issues that the Board of Directors should address (and require the management company to fix) include:
1. Beach erosion, mitigation and repair. Plus info on whether or not there are adequate reserves or if it will be funded by yet another special assessment.
2. Use of the pool, spa, BBQ grills, and other on-site facilities by non-owners (probably locals)
3. Use of the underground parking by workers, non-residents and non-guests.
4. Challenges in reserving back-to-back weeks for multi-week owners
5. Improved communications and responsiveness to questions asked of the board (I have sent emails to the board and have never received a single response and I know of others who also think that the board should be more responsive.)
6. Additional steps that maintenance and the pest control company should take to further reduce the rodent and rat issue. They have taken several steps and the rat issue is down but it hasn't disappeared. When I was in unit 482 in April, I saw rodent feces and urine residue under the kitchen sink and a hole chewed through the drywall by a faucet shutoff. I plugged the hole with a wad of paper towel to help determine if the signs of the rodents were old or new. The next morning the paper towel was shredded and most was pushed out. So that told me that the signs were fresh signs. To the credit of maintenance and the pest control company, they plastered up the hole, repainted it and left some glue traps. One thing that could be done but hasn't been done is to have screens on ALL windows. Right now there are windows that can open (and probably are left open because of the lack of Air conditioning) but are not screened.
6. "Straight" and additional communication about the special assessment for the recent remodeling. The fact that we will have two or three years of special assessments suggest to me that the Sands has been underfunding their furniture reserve. I have read comments on the SOKCO facebook site by owners confused why they are being assessed for furniture when there is a reserve fee. If the board/mgmt company feels that they are funding the reserves adequately, then they should communicate why we need this multi-year special assessment.

So, if you are an SOK owner, be sure to vote using the non-descript self-mailer ballot that needs to be folded AND sealed on the short ends, and ignore and toss the white and red envelope that encourages you to assign your votes to the vacation club to vote AS THEY SEE FIT. I would like you to vote for Bruce Rogers, but please vote your real ballot for whoever you think will do the best job. Toss the proxy assignment document. Also, FYI, there are three open positions and you can give all of your votes to a single individual if you choose.

Mahalo,
Bruce

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@TUGBrian, is there any way that I could send a message to other Sands owners?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Proxies for the board of directors must be received by Monday October 21 by 10:30 am HST.

After the Sands Vacation Club sent out the REAL ballot (the manila colored one that looks like junk mail that you fold, seal and send back), they followed this up with, in some cases three additional Proxies in a large and flashy white envelope with a REAL return envelope. If you signed that proxy it negated your original ballot and ASSIGNED your vote to the board to vote AS THEY SEE FIT. Recently owners received a follow up saying that they have not received the proxy and asked the owner to send it in.

Now here is a bit of mystery - - according to W. Cober, who was the VP of So leil Hawaii up until a few months ago, he indicated in writing that the large white envelopes and the robo-calls do not come from the Vacation Club. So, the belief of some people is that it is sent out by the parent company of So leil. But technically they are a third party unassociated with the SOKVC and should not have access to the names and addresses of the owners. But they do!

It is discouraging for me to run for the board of directors when I know that they actively stack the deck against me and other owners. But every year I get more votes and the margin continues to improve.

If you have not sent in your real ballot, you can do so via fax (the number is on the back of the ballot). If you threw away your ballot, and need another one, PM me with your email, and I'll send you a scan/pdf.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you for running! While I don't own there and thus can't vote for you, I think having real owner reps on resort boards is a great goal. I wish you much success!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@bizaro86 thanks.

There is a (in my opinion) either in-effective or non-functional Board of Directors. All but one have a conflict of interest. The last one, is a real owner but (I am told) doesn't participate in the board meetings.

In this past year, (I am told) the board hasn't met. So, it would seem (in my opinion) that the contracted management, So Leil, is operating without board direction.

I think that the sands could be a much nicer resort. Some of the things that they should address and ask for feedback from the owners:
1. Install air conditioning or at least do an economic analysis. This is the primary criticism on tripadvisor. When I stay at the Kona Coast 2, I think that the $10 a day is the best investment I've ever made to keep my wife happy.
2. Keep locals from using the pool, hot tub, grills and parking areas.
3. Make further improvements on the rodent issue (yes, in April, I was there and had a rodent problem that I reported to a So Leil executive (and no comment).
4. Better explain why the land purchase assessment has now "morphed" into a re-furb assessment. I also own at Marriott and don't get special assessments. If a refurb requires a special assessment, it means that the vacation club has insufficient reserves. One of the things replaced were low end (think "home depot") cabinetry that had been in place since the mid 1980's. These were of the quality that I would have accepted in my garage but not my house. But there were insufficient reserves to cover the 30 plus year old cabinets. (I cut my foot when I pulled out a drawer and it fell and hit my foot).

Every year I get more votes in the BOD election. But, whether I'm going to win this year or the next year is up in the air. It depends on the people who count the votes, whether the people throw out ballots with errors, etc. Who is that? The mgmt company. They don't employ a third party to collect, confirm and count the votes.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few people have asked me why I refer to So leil, and Sand o f Ka hana, etc. The reason is that the mgmt company has on-going searches for those key words/letters. I know this on a first-hand basis.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The following is a post that was sent today from the S ands of Ka hana Concerned owners group (SOK CO):

"Dear Fellow S ands of Ka hana Vacation Club Owner:
Thank you very much to all of you who took the time and the responsibility to vote in this current SOK VC annual election of board directors. Tomorrow is the date of the meeting and I will get the results of the election and a recap of the meeting out to you as soon as possible. I am aware of three Sands owners that are members of the SOK CO that plan on attending the meeting. I will be looking forward to their report of the meeting.
Since having a resolution passed to allow the SOK VC Board of Directors to hold the SOK VC annual meeting at any time during the year the board has opted for the fall months of the year. This is a time when there are few Sands owners vacationing at the Sands. Consequently, very few owners attend the annual meetings now. In the past, before the passage of the resolution, the house was usually packed by Sands owners because the SOK VC Board of Directors was required to hold the annual meeting in March, when many Sands owners were on property. In my opinion, the reason that the board opted to move the meetings is that they did not like getting a lot of serious questions from the Sands owners in attendance.
Also, I find it very interesting that this is the first meeting of the year held by the SOK VC Board of Directors. In Kevin Blair’s “pat on the back” letter that accompanied the large white envelope under the heading Resort Improvements I find 11 improvements listed as having been accomplished in the past year or currently in progress. How does this happen without any meetings of the SOK VC Board of Directors. Is this a one man show, that being Kevin Blair giving approval for all of these improvements or does So leil Management just make these improvements without any approval from the SOK VC Board of Directors.
Again, thank you to each and every one of you who voted in this current election and voted for our guy Bruce Rogers. To grow the SOK CO I would hope that each of you could bring in another Sands owner to SOK CO. Our web site is www.sokco.info and from the web site a Sands owner can easily join SOK CO. An owner can simply email me at 76sokco@gmail.com to join SOK CO as well. Thank you for your support of SOKCO.
Marc
“The statements and opinions set forth herein are not endorsed, sponsored by or affiliated with (1) The Association of Apartment Owners of the S ands of Ka hana or its officers and directors or (2) The S ands of Ka hana Vacation Club or its officers or directors”."

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
When is the HOA meeting and please let us know the outcome of the election.