• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Savings points before they expire... while transferring / purchasing resale!

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
TUG friends:

AT LAST I am buying my Worldmark (resale, OF COURSE). Took a long time to convince the hubs, but in the end I managed!

Question: The membership I am purchasing has points that expire in April. New points will be issued in April, of course, but I asked the seller if they would be willing to make a reservation ~7+ months out to save the soon to expire points. What I'm wondering is whether or not I would be able to call Worldmark when the timeshare is mine and ask for the reservation to be changed or moved? Keep in mind the reservation would be under the previous owner and not me... would I ask the previous owner to make this a "guest" reservation with my name on it?

Thanks in advance!

flutprop

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Blue Tree
Have the seller make a reservation for as far out as they can (April 2, 2020 today) to save the credits. It can be made for any location, but suggest they make it at a location that does not charge any taxes. They should not need to put your name on the reservations, as when the account is in your name at the close of the sale, you will then have all control to change dates/location. You will want to call to make any changes, and advise the reservation agent it was made with expired credits so they can make the changes you want without losing the credits during the transaction.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Also, if it's loaded and you can't use all the credits in your use year...consider spacebank.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Can someone explain spacebank, please? :)

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Can someone explain spacebank, please? :)

It is using credits to make a deposit into RCI or II. Deposits into an exchange system expire two years after they are made, so it extends the life of the credits by 2 years. You have to call the Vacation Planning Center (VPC) to initiate the transaction and it is irreversible (i.e. you cannot later put them back into WM).

Based on the number of credits you want to spacebank - the exchange dept will take your credits and deposit a WM unit into the exchange system on your behalf. So for instance, you could ask to deposit 10k in credits, and WM could deposit a 2BR Running Y summer week into your II account. Which can then use to book something in II.

Last edited:

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Thanks! Unfortunately this is my first timeshare and therefore I do not (yet) have RCI or II!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
But if you purchased a WorldMark you can open both an II and an RCI account with that ownership.

I would recommend opening the interval I would not recommend RCI any longer they are too expensive and have too limited choices

Tater on my Note8 tapatalk

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I recommend you first learn to use your WM account first and leave figuring out exchanges until later. If you have extra credits you can't use, rent them out to another owner at wmowners.com/forum. There's lots to learn on how to make the most of your new account and exchanging is another layer of complication you just don't need now.

Sue

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
But if you purchased a WorldMark you can open both an II and an RCI account with that ownership.

I would recommend opening the interval I would not recommend RCI any longer they are too expensive and have too limited choices

Tater on my Note8 tapatalk

Thanks @taterhed , but I still have the issue of not being able to sign up for II until the WM is transferred to me which I expect will occur AFTER the points have expired... :-X but your point in II vs RCI is well taken, seems like a better choice from what I've read thus far.

@sue1947, I hear ya, thanks for the advice! I think I will spend some time trying to figure out my membership before I start trying to do complicated stuff. Although when that time comes, I have all of you guys and gals to help ;)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sorry, didn't do the date math on that....but I'm pretty sure that owner services can convert points from a reservation to a spacebank. Don't quote me on that. It's a better way to 'park' the points until you can use them (IMO). If you can use the points....then you have no worries. Just make reservations.

There are (as @sue1947 pointed out) more than 1 ways to skin the cat:

1. Make reservations and use them
  2. Make reservations and rent them
  3. Rent out the points
  4. Spacebank the points
All of the above assume you will have access to the points in time to reserve, occupy, rent or spacebank them. If you do not, then you can have the current owner make long range reservations to 'hold' the points until you can work with an owner service rep to modify the 'placeholder' or 'pointsaver' reservation (yes, i said that) into something that you can use...rent...spacebank.

Keep in mind: Nobody wants to rent credits that expire instantly. It takes time to successfully rent a reservation. There may not be available reservations during the times you can occupy the units.

So....back to the top.

There are your options.
I hope this helps. Happy vacation.

Did I mention that I used one of my spacebanks to snag a Hyatt Highlands 1 bedroom in late March?
Pretty good use of WM points if you ask me.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too bought my first worldmark loaded. 18000 points will expire June 30th. I have contacted the selling company to contact the seller to see if they would make a distant reservation or even if the owner wants to use the points its ik. I just don't want them wasted. I haven't heard anything, is there anything I can do besides keeping my fingers crossed that it will be transferred by then.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@talkamotta I had the owner make a reservation for March 2020 for the 6,000 at-risk-of-expiring points. In my case, I knew it was highly unlikely this would close before the expiration (April) because I bought it in March. I bought direct from the seller (vs a broker) and she sent me the reservation confirmation. I'm using LT Transfer including escrow.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like the transfer could take up to 20 weeks! But I hear the WM/Wyndham folks are getting faster and it could be as early as 13 weeks. Good luck! I hope I'm able to use the reservation the seller made, we shall see!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Again...just remember: you can rebook any reservation (with some caveats) after the transfer.
Just ask your questions first (here or with owner services) and then utilize a WM rep to make the ressies on the phone.
You can even 'freeze' the reservation you want by starting the booking process and then calling.

There can be some great last minute stuff to snag.