• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scam alert ["hearing impaired" buyer]

UKStrive49

Reaction score
hearing impaired buyer

Just wanted to let everyone know that this "hearing impaired" scam is still alive and going strong. So glad that I found this site.

She was going by the name "Sarah McGill". She was looking to start up a travel business and needed to purchase timeshares. She was using her broker "Sam Avner" as she was hearing impaired and could not use the phone. Her emails were verbatim to those used in this thread, i.e., out of town for 6 weeks, found a hearing aid that would give her back 30% of her hearing, the broker who was "out of the country on business...", all the same! She was going through First American Title.

Since I'm still paying for my timeshare, she was willing to pay what I owed (first red flag). NOBODY would pay that much for my timeshare! Then came the part about the $2,900 check, the $500 deposit and the $2,400 to her "broker" (lots of red flags).

I emailed her back, telling her that I was not comfortable with that, and to just send the $500 deposit. she was most indignant and told me she'd already sent the check. That was last week, and I've not seen a check nor heard back from her. Just wanted to let everyone know she's using a new name, new broker name and a new title company. Too bad. I really was happy at first, as I need to unload the timeshare. So is life.

Last edited by a moderator:

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Beatrice Farmer, Sarah McGill, Sam Avner, hearing impaired timeshare sales

it keep getting better and better..

nice updates on this post..

Beatrice Farmer, Sarah McGill, Sam Avner, hearing impaired timeshare sales

Lori M

Reaction score
Sarah McGill & Sam Avner

Just wanted to let everyone know that this "hearing impaired" scam is still alive and going strong. So glad that I found this site.

She was going by the name "Sarah McGill". She was looking to start up a travel business and needed to purchase timeshares. She was using her broker "Sam Avner" as she was hearing impaired and could not use the phone. Her emails were verbatim to those used in this thread, i.e., out of town for 6 weeks, found a hearing aid that would give her back 30% of her hearing, the broker who was "out of the country on business...", all the same! She was going through First American Title.

Since I'm still paying for my timeshare, she was willing to pay what I owed (first red flag). NOBODY would pay that much for my timeshare! Then came the part about the $2,900 check, the $500 deposit and the $2,400 to her "broker" (lots of red flags).

I emailed her back, telling her that I was not comfortable with that, and to just send the $500 deposit. she was most indignant and told me she'd already sent the check. That was last week, and I've not seen a check nor heard back from her. Just wanted to let everyone know she's using a new name, new broker name and a new title company. Too bad. I really was happy at first, as I need to unload the timeshare. So is life.

Sounds like they were scamming you the same time as me. Same exact names and scenarios. I did get the check yesterday and immediately contacted TruWest credit union. I no sooner got the question of "how do I find out if a check is valid?" and the lady at TruWest asked if it was for $2900. When I answered it was, she said it's fraud, been going on for months (sounds like it's actually years) and the authorities are aware. I just today received the "instructions" from Sam Avner - he must have forgotten to update the year in their cookie-cutter email because he asks if maintenance fees are paid for 2013!

What ever you do, be cautious. It's unfortunate that leaches like these people can actually scam people out of hard earned money. At this point I've paid 8 years into my time share, yes maintenance fees suck, but who knows, I might actually have a desire to sit in Virginia Beach at the end of January!!!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...the lady at TruWest asked if it was for $2900. When I answered it was, she said it's fraud, been going on for months (sounds like it's actually years) and the authorities are aware.

Yay for "the lady"!:clap: It's just too bad that more clerks at these money wire transfer places weren't as quick and astute as this lady. Granted, they are likely in low-paying jobs and it's really not their business why their customers are sending questionable wire transfers. After all, they're just employees trying to please customers and make money for services. But it sure would be nice if all employees at wire transfer places were aware of the various scams out there and courteously offered customers one last piece of advice before people blindly wire money to scammers.

Again, kudos to "the lady" for going beyond the call of duty! :clap:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Yay for "the lady"!:clap: It's just too bad that more clerks at these money wire transfer places weren't as quick and astute as this lady. Granted, they are likely in low-paying jobs and it's really not their business why their customers are sending questionable wire transfers. After all, they're just employees trying to please customers and make money for services. But it sure would be nice if all employees at wire transfer places were aware of the various scams out there and courteously offered customers one last piece of advice before people blindly wire money to scammers.

Again, kudos to "the lady" for going beyond the call of duty! :clap:

The lady is from truwest credit union, not western union. That credit union must be inundated from unhappy people who got scammed.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lady is from truwest credit union, not western union. That credit union must be inundated from unhappy people who got scammed.

Yeah, that actually occurred to me a few moments after I posted that last post. Credit Unions and banks, as well as their employees, obviously have more to lose with bogus cheques than wire transfer places do with transfers to scammers. It's good though that bank employees are aware of these scams. At least the word is getting out about these scams and how they work and it's not just TS owners who are learning about these.

But, the day I hear of a wire transfer place (or an employee thereof) actually stop a customer from wiring money to a scammer and warning that customer clearly how the scam works, I will publicly applaud that one. :D

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that actually occurred to me a few moments after I posted that last post. Credit Unions and banks, as well as their employees, obviously have more to lose with bogus cheques than wire transfer places do with transfers to scammers. It's good though that bank employees are aware of these scams. At least the word is getting out about these scams and how they work and it's not just TS owners who are learning about these.

But, the day I hear of a wire transfer place (or an employee thereof) actually stop a customer from wiring money to a scammer and warning that customer clearly how the scam works, I will publicly applaud that one. :D

1. The Banks/Credit Unions/Savings and loans have a way of undoing the transaction and charging the account holder back when the account holder the fraudulent check is drawn on is returned as fraudulent avoiding any loss.

2. The scammers generally specify Western Union since they can be Converted to cash more eaily.

3. I am sure if you waked in with a cashiers check to any bank to wire a refund of the over payment, ZI cannot imagine that any bank clerk would assist you, if you just reuested the wire you would be on your own.

Googling Tru West Scam

https://www.truwest.org/alerts/

https://www.truwest.org/alerts/2014-solicitation-scam/

There are no victims only volunteers

Last edited:

jakede

TUG Member
Reaction score
Patricia Grooms

We received the same exact email from Patricia Grooms

Beatrice Farmer. Is there any way to track someone through an email address and get them jailed?
Her emails say this:
Just to let you know that I had to travel and will be away from home for the next 6 weeks. I do not know if I have mentioned this before but I have a disability. I was informed by the hospital which I am registered with that a new hearing aid which is supposed to be able to restore 30% of my hearing ability has just been delivered and they would like to test run it with me. This is impromptu so I had to make speedy arrangements. I tried to reach my broker yesterday and today but I got an auto response that he is currently out of the country on business. I have however sent him numerous email messages along with your contact information and expect him to be in touch with you as soon as he receives my messages.

Because I was unable to contact Sam to send his brokerage fees, title transfer fees and escrow fees, I visited my bank and got a cashiers check for $2900 which I have also mailed out to you. Upon receipt, I would need you to deposit the check, funds should be available immediately, I would need you to deduct your Ernest deposit of $500, this is to affirm my willingness and seriousness to buy this property and fend off other offers while closing processes are arranged by my broker. Then, forward the balance $2400 to Mr Sam Avner as his fees for your timeshare closing and escrow charges whenever he gets in touch with you. It is my assumption that Sam will provide additional instructions on how to get the fees to him.

He is my personal broker and would be responsible for all the documentation and deed of transfer. Sam will work with First American title transfer company who would be handling the closing. Please note that the balance for your timeshare would be held in escrow. As soon as Sam gets in touch with you and finalizes the sale, the balance will be released to you before you transfer the title deed. Please notify me as soon as you receive contact from Sam.

Do watch out for any mails to your address and also notify me as soon as you receive my check. Although I am away from home, I would still have access regularly to my email and would be in touch throughout the process.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, is 'ol Sammy back from Cairo yet?

We received the same exact email from Patricia Grooms

Those who have observed this ongoing scam effort for several years now (always with the same $2,900 Tri West check and the same "hearing impaired" song and dance routine) may also remember the name Samuel Kaplan, the intrepid (but mythical) broker conveniently "away" at a timeshare convention --- in Cairo, Egypt. :hysterical:

I was previously (...but only momentarily) impressed by both the sheer audacity and the active imagination demonstrated in this whole BS tale / scam effort.
Showing considerably less imagination in its' current iteration, "Samuel Kaplan" may now have simply been "updated" to be "Sam Avner". The name itself is of little importance, of course, since surely neither one actually exists at all in the first place anyhow, except as an imaginary figure in the scam's overall story line.

Last edited:

Barb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sarah McGill scam

I received an offer from Sarah McGill, hearing impaired, working with an agent named Sam Avner based in Cairo. We accepted the offer ($2,000 with $500 of it earnest money), deposited it, and waited for the check to clear before mailing the remainder to Sam. The bank put a hold on the check and is sending us a letter explaining why. I am so thankful we didn't send them the money! Only after we had the hold put on our deposit from Bank of America did I check the legitimacy of this on TUG.

Last edited:

averycole

Reaction score
"Hearing Impaired" Buyer Still At it

I got the same email, almost verbatim. She? is using the name Vickie Thornell <Vickie.thornell12@gmail.com> to me, but still claiming the Sam Avner as the agent I'm supposed to mail the $2400 of $2900 to, and FirstAM as the bank. I checked in with the bank to see if an account had been set up for escrow, however they weren't really helpful, nor could I find any social media references on the individual on Facebook or LinkedIn. I'm still playing along, if I get a check, which I suspect I won't, I can use it to trace the bank and account. I've tried tracing the IP address back, it came from a private network through a google server in Mountain view, California. Odd because usually a private IP won't appear as a source (the same as a home network, but usually when it sends it shows the public IP address of your home router). So far I haven't given any signs that I've caught on to it being a scam, maybe I can set something up to trap him/her.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just Googled Vickie Thornell and something odd happened when I tried to click on next/page 2.

Anyone else ?

ETA: Resolved now

-

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still playing along, if I get a check, which I suspect I won't, I can use it to trace the bank and account.

If you play along, you probably will get a cheque, albeit a bogus one. That's how their scam works. They send you a legitimate-looking, but bogus, cheque for $2900. Then they ask you to forward the $2400 commission to a broker, allegedly leaving you with $500.

Once the so-called broker receives your $2400, you find out that the $2900 cheque was bogus. And since the cheque was bogus, you probably won't find any traceable bank or account number.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Previously, they were sending the same Cashier's Check, with the same exact banks #s to multiple people.

Marco Gal

Reaction score
Hearing imparied buyer

Juliet Foley---is the name of buyer. Just contacted bank about the $2,900.00 check I received and will be shredding it. Had my doubts about this "buyer' but went along for a while. Glad I checked it out. Had previously been scammed and did not want a repeat.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Suggestion: Take a picture of it and post it here, first.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, the scam must work often enough to provide them a good living. I hope they can be found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
only needs to work 1 time to make it profitable vs the cost put into it...and there is no doubt it works many many times :(

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Juliet Foley,, Vickie Thornell,, timeshare scam, hearing impaired,

Sad part is a lot of people are duped by this and many other scams..

Its long past time for people to WISE up and stopped getting taken by these sleeze bags.

I get stuff every day for this offer and confirm your bank info stuff and i just delete it..

IF it comes in the mail to you,, its a scam most times..

IF they call you about it,,, its a scam most times.

IF you get an email about it,,, its a scam most times..

IF you live by these simple rule you will eleminate most scams,, and listen to Clark Howard,, clarkhoward.com on the radio to see what the most recent scam is going around.

WISE UP PEOPLE, they are out to get you every day in every way.. trust no one you do not know for at least 10 yrs.

Reagan said it best,,, "Trust but VERIFY.."

I say ,, "Dont trust and VERIFY"

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad part is a lot of people are duped by this and many other scams..

Its long past time for people to WISE up and stopped getting taken by these sleeze bags.

I get stuff every day for this offer and confirm your bank info stuff and i just delete it..

IF it comes in the mail to you,, its a scam most times..

IF they call you about it,,, its a scam most times.

IF you get an email about it,,, its a scam most times..

IF you live by these simple rule you will eleminate most scams,, and listen to Clark Howard,, clarkhoward.com on the radio to see what the most recent scam is going around.

WISE UP PEOPLE, they are out to get you every day in every way.. trust no one you do not know for at least 10 yrs.

Reagan said it best,,, "Trust but VERIFY.."

I say ,, "Dont trust and VERIFY"

It isn't a scam MOST times, It's a scam EVERY time!

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree.. just allowing for some lee way for the rarity of a legit deal. :hysterical:

It isn't a scam MOST times, It's a scam EVERY time!

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I agree.. just allowing for some lee way for the rarity of a legit deal. :hysterical:

No legit deal has come this way so 100% of the time it's a scam is very accurate.

mortonmule

Reaction score
same scam about timeshares

The same scam is alive and well. Sarah McGill is going by Becky Darsch now. I was emailed by her that she would buy my timeshare with no up front fees. Of course you know the rest of the story. I got my check, sent it to my bank and of course it was a fraud. I will be forwarding all my emails and check to my Detectives Division. So if anyone can help catch this women,:I am all ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looker1515

Reaction score
Hearing impaired scammer

Thanks for the warning !!! I' m in contract (talks) right now with this scammer.... Advice ?