• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scheduling knee replacement surgery

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Good to hear from you even though it wasn't as positive an experience as one would hope for! I'm so sorry you didn't have more dedicated and thoughtful hospital personnel to have seen you through that part and don't have as much help as you need now! I would opt for a re-hab facility after surgery like that having seen my mother through hip surgery and then elbow surgery re-hab at a local facility. I could not have helped her as they were able to. Hope all goes smoother here on out and let us know how you are doing!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I seem to be recovering okay. Very tired. Exercises are tough. Can't take the pain pills, have to stick to just one, a couple times a day.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having a bad day, one in which I woke up in a lot pain with nausea and have not been able to get over that exhaustion and pain and nausea. Is this expected? Am i hurting my progress if I don't get in my exercises? I can get around with the walker okay I just don't know if it is okay to give in and just relax or if I need to work through all the pain.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am having a bad day, one in which I woke up in a lot pain with nausea and have not been able to get over that exhaustion and pain and nausea. Is this expected? Am i hurting my progress if I don't get in my exercises? I can get around with the walker okay I just don't know if it is okay to give in and just relax or if I need to work through all the pain.

The problem with not doing the flexing exercises is that scar tissue will begin to form, which will reduce your flexibility later on. Your knee may be more stiff than you may want if that happens. If you are more flexible, the scar tissue forms outside of the flexing area, resulting in a more flexible joint.

As to your pain - it is better to achieve a level of pain relief, and try to stay there, maintaining that level, rather than allowing your pain relievers to wear off, and you having to "come from behind" to achieve pain relief again. It puts you through a greater amount of stress and discomfort. If your meds aren't working as expected, you need to tell your doctor about that.

And speaking of that, you haven't mentioned your contact with your surgical team or Ortho doctor. Are they checking in with you, and monitoring how you're doing? When I had my knee replaced, I spent four nights in the hospital before going home, and my doctor's office called me every day after that.

Hang in there, but don't suffer needlessly.

Dave

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I agree with Dave, you need to take pain meds regularly to try to maintain a constant level of comfort instead of waiting until the pain is bad and then take something and getting into a rollercoaster effect. If your prescribed pain meds are making you nauseous then tell your Dr what's happening & get him/her to prescribe something different. You can also try taking ginger capsules/pills to help with the nausea. They are usually found near the pain meds in Walmart or a drug store. I can not take anything stronger than a Tylenol 2 or I experience anything from nausea to projectile vomiting depending on what was given to me. I used topical (applied to the skin) anti-inflammatory/pain relief (Voltaren or similar prescription strength) in addition to oral pain meds but you cant apply anything like that to the incision area, just the surrounding tissue.

~Diane

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no pain medicine I can handle. I am allergic to most,I can only handle one, not two of the one I have. How do you handle getting up in night, eating something, then taking pain meds I just can't do this part. Maybe I will send my husband to get ginger capsules, but my situation isn't going to change, the nighties is what is hurting me. I think I overdid last night, never got back on track.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
There is no pain medicine I can handle. I am allergic to most,I can only handle one, not two of the one I have. How do you handle getting up in night, eating something, then taking pain meds I just can't do this part. Maybe I will send my husband to get ginger capsules, but my situation isn't going to change, the nighties is what is hurting me. I think I overdid last night, never got back on track.
I have the same problem with medication. After a major surgery I used prescription strength tylenol, took the edge of the pain, nausea and hallucinations away. I used ice with it which helped with pain and swelling. I would call your doctor and let him know.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in 71 with fairly severe osteoarthritis in both knees. I have been able to remain active with periodic shots of monovisc and lately cingal. I am not overweight weight, and otherwise healthy, and will inevitably have both knees replaced. I have a follow up session with a surgeon in a couple of weeks. Which implants are best, metal or ceramic? I'm retired, but my wife is just finishing up her career and I will not have help during the day. I wonder how difficult navigating up and down stairs of our two storey home will be?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I am in 71 with fairly severe osteoarthritis in both knees. I have been able to remain active with periodic shots of monovisc and lately cingal I wonder how difficult navigating up and down stairs of our two storey home will be?
I'd try to set things up where you can sleep downstairs initially if there's a bathroom downstairs. It's hard enough to walk around at first & I wouldn't add stairs to the mix if I could help it. You'll be using a walker initially.

Or if that's not possible, maybe you could get a small refrigerator, microwave, etc. to use if you need to stay upstairs for sleep and bathroom availability if you're going to have to be alone while your wife is working.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fell asleep in between earlier post and the next at 3:52. I was able to do a batch of exercises between then and this post. I have my alarm set and will try a nausea pill and a pain pill again, and will just have to wake myself up all night. I almost never sleep during the day. Now I am behind on my andvmy husband's daily meds, and also the sleep apnea machine for him.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am in 71 with fairly severe osteoarthritis in both knees. I have been able to remain active with periodic shots of monovisc and lately cingal. I am not overweight weight, and otherwise healthy, and will inevitably have both knees replaced. I have a follow up session with a surgeon in a couple of weeks. Which implants are best, metal or ceramic? I'm retired, but my wife is just finishing up her career and I will not have help during the day. I wonder how difficult navigating up and down stairs of our two storey home will be?

This post needs its own thread. No need to tailgate on Rapmarks' lengthy thread. (Moderators? What say you?)

Having said that, I had a Smith&Nephew model called "Legion." They do an extensive MRI of the damaged joint, and make a mock up of the old knee. Then they make a custom implant that replaces the bad joint exactly, with tools custom-made to make the surgical process tailored to the person. The advantage to this is the replacement fits perfectly into the space the old knee did, which reduces swelling and speeds recovery time. I've had mine five years this month, and it's doing fine. http://www.smith-nephew.com/profess...knee/total-knee-replacement-portfolio/legion/

Edited to add: I have a two-story house. I just sat down on the stairs with my knee straight out, and backed up or down the stairs using my hands and my other foot until I was comfortable with climbing/descending steps. Between the walker I used, and then a cane, and a slow, careful grip on the handrail, navigating the stairs wasn't too much of an issue.

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been able to sleep in my bed, it is too high to get in and out. If you have a recliner I would plan to sleep there. If you go upstairs, then plan to stay there. Taking care of myself is exhausting, there is a lot to do.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You REALLY need some help! The next time one of your helpful friends/neighbors says, 'Call if we can do something.', say OK. I need you at 6:00 for XXXX and at 9:00 or before you go to bed to help my husband XXXXX.

The fallback is a home health service. You need this!

We wish you a speedy recovery!

Jim

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah, they will help but they happen to be busy. Can you believe after a futile trip on Monday to buy a shower mat, the friends say we will get you one and make sure it will fit. They make a big show on Wednesday of coming in and measuring. They run it in the door on Friday. This is too big, you will need to cut it down, bye we are in a hurry. Haven't heard back except for a text telling me how much I owe them. When I hear again I will get this exasperated voice saying why didn't you put that bath mat in,we went through all the trouble of getting you one.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
rapmarks .... those are "fair weather friends" giving you "lip service". And what goes around, come around... in the long run.

My personal advice, text/emailing them back to say:

"I got mat which fits perfectly AND could you please come back to pickup your bathmat so as to return it to the store to get your refund? As you know, I won't be driving for the next 8 weeks or more. Your mat is on my front porch ... I will be resting when you pick you come by."

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah, they will help but they happen to be busy. Can you believe after a futile trip on Monday to buy a shower mat, the friends say we will get you one and make sure it will fit. They make a big show on Wednesday of coming in and measuring. They run it in the door on Friday. This is too big, you will need to cut it down, bye we are in a hurry. Haven't heard back except for a text telling me how much I owe them. When I hear again I will get this exasperated voice saying why didn't you put that bath mat in,we went through all the trouble of getting you one.
That's why several of us have said that you need to hire caregiver(s) through a home care company even before you had your surgery. They are paid to do their work and they will show up for work and do what is needed. Relying on friends is not the same. Oops, I cannot come over today...

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, and I had a lady hired. But that lady is telling something different now, now she might find time for me. My daughter called my insurance company and is arranging something with them. The one through the group who was arranged by the hospital does not meet your description as being there because she was hired by an agency, she has been no show, then one day showed, then had to be called and came two hours late for a total of two visits. It still doesn't help when I need the help the most, which is during the night.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, and I had a lady hired. But that lady is telling something different now, now she might find time for me. My daughter called my insurance company and is arranging something with them. The one through the group who was arranged by the hospital does not meet your description as being there because she was hired by an agency, she has been no show, then one day showed, then had to be called and came two hours late for a total of two visits. It still doesn't help when I need the help the most, which is during the night.
There is obviously a need to interview a home care agency and hire one to your liking. The agency who is billing you is responsible for sending someone reliable to be with you at the time that you need. If that home care agency does not perform, hire another home care agency.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding ginger capsules or pills, can you take these in addition to the drug promethazine for nausea. I had several questions prepared to ask the pharmacist to make sure they carry them and that I can take in addition to the anti nausea medication I have. Every time I call, I get placed on hold and I give up after ten minutes.
I can send my husband to get these, but I have to give him specific written explanation of what I want,

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiting for call from my insurance company.my daughter arranged it, I will get four hours a day of help and the person will run errands too.
This is good news. Perhaps it will give you a contact for more help if you need it- even if it's private-pay, there are just times when one NEEDS help. Good Luck!