• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scheduling knee replacement surgery

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Regarding ginger capsules or pills, can you take these in addition to the drug promethazine for nausea. I had several questions prepared to ask the pharmacist to make sure they carry them and that I can take in addition to the anti nausea medication I have. Every time I call, I get placed on hold and I give up after ten minutes.
I can send my husband to get these, but I have to give him specific written explanation of what I want,

You should probably check with the pharmacist to be sure there isn't any type of interaction between the two. The promethazine will make you sleepy whereas the ginger wont. You really shouldn't need to take 2 anti-nauseates at the same time so maybe you could take the promethazine at night and the ginger during the day. I still think it would be wise to tell your Dr that the main meds are making you nauseous and see if he can prescribe something different. You may be able to get away with a milder one during the day by now and leave the stronger one for night-time.
Wishing you a less painful & speedy recovery!

~Diane

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had several major surgeries, I cannot handle pain medications. This was the only option. Pain is making me nauseous also. There are a lot of people like me.

The difference with this surgery is that you have to do the exercises, instead of just getting through the pain. Yesterday I was totally exhausted all day from nausea and pain. Today, I was able to get over the nausea early, get my exercises done, get on with my day.

I am hoping the worst is over.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I called my insurance weeks before I went in for surgery they said I was entitled to 35 hours a week of home health care if I was getting physical therapy at home. The hospital was supposed to set something up. They didn't. My daughter works in the insurance industry as a behavioral health case manager. She found out my insurance case manager ,contacted her, and has been working with her. this is what she was told, if she is wrong I will find out.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I called my insurance weeks before I went in for surgery they said I was entitled to 35 hours a week of home health care if I was getting physical therapy at home. The hospital was supposed to set something up. They didn't. My daughter works in the insurance industry as a behavioral health case manager. She found out my insurance case manager ,contacted her, and has been working with her. this is what she was told, if she is wrong I will find out.
Home health is for clinical type of support like physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, wound management and bathing - Home Health Aide will helping with bathing and nothing else. Home health does NOT cover activities of daily living like cooking, light housekeeping, assistance to bathroom, transfers and shopping.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok , they just called, they are arriving tomorrow, she said yes this was covered my insurance. I guess I will give it a try, I don't think it would be wise to say don't come, someone on the internet said this is not covered.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok , they just called, they are arriving tomorrow, she said yes this was covered my insurance. I guess I will give it a try, I don't think it would be wise to say don't come, someone on the internet said this is not covered.
Please let us know the outcome. It would be a first if they indeed will do non-medical/non-clinical home care. I used to work in this industry.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
There's a list of about a dozen anti-nausea meds at
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Nevada/Places/reno-temperatures-by-month-average.php

My son has used ondasetron (Zofran) successfully ... they prescribed it when he was quite young, so perhaps it's something you could tolerate and might help.

I feel like we're peppering you with a zillion ideas but not being able to help much. The most positive thing I'm hearing is that your daughter is aware and pushing. You really need an advocate, and better friends too I'd say.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nausea back and really bad. Around eight thirty last night, threw up everything in my, in several locations as I could not make it to bathroom. Nauseated all night. I have a call to dr office. I have two different prescriptions but I have to find something that works.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nausea back and really bad. Around eight thirty last night, threw up everything in my, in several locations as I could not make it to bathroom. Nauseated all night. I have a call to dr office. I have two different prescriptions but I have to find something that works.

I know you wrote that pain can cause you to be nauseous, but it is wise to let the doctor know how you feel just in case something else is going on.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you wrote that pain can cause you to be nauseous, but it is wise to let the doctor know how you feel just in case something else is going on.
I left three messages, supposed to hear from the doctors nurse.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
They gave me reglan, started last night, nausea ebbing away. Exhausted after several days, exercises way behind.no more pain meds, taking one extra strength Tylenol

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry you are having problems. All I can offer is Hugs.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back home from a visit with my sports med doctor this morning. Fresh Cingal (viscosupplementation) shots in both knees which hopefully will keep me motoring for another 5/6 months. One knee seems fine and the other is quite tight...have to lay low certainly today and likely tomorrow as well. Getting digital xrays done next week and setting up another referral to the orthopaedic surgeon I saw almost 18 months ago. We'll see where that goes. I understand the wait time for knee replacement surgery locally, triaged as 'normal wait' is 5/6 months.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
They gave me reglan, started last night, nausea ebbing away. Exhausted after several days, exercises way behind.no more pain meds, taking one extra strength Tylenol
Glad to hear no more pain meds just the Tylenol. Those pain meds, for many, cause additional problems. I know they do for me.

As my doctor once said to me, you will hate me for a few weeks after the surgery, but two months after you will be happy you did it. She was right. You will get better. Sending my wishes that you get well soon.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
As my doctor once said to me, you will hate me for a few weeks after the surgery, but two months after you will be happy you did it. She was right.
My orthopedic surgeon told me the same thing! He was also right!

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
I highly recommend the Polar Cube, which is like a small cooler that holds ice and water. It circulates via tubes to a pad which you place over affected area. It cuts the pain and swelling and you can control how cold you want your water by proportion of ice to water. The water will stay cold for 4–6 hours but not so cold as to have to remove ice pack periodically. They run $120-150 New but I bought a used one for $50 on eBay. It cut down on need for pain meds tremendously.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got Cingal shots in my OA knees on Tuesday to keep me mobile while I await a follow up appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon. I will be a candidate for knee replacement surgery if I am not already. Had a flare up in one knee...became very tight and I limped around the house for two days. Big bounce back today, thank goodness, and I got out to run errands.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Got Cingal shots in my OA knees on Tuesday to keep me mobile while I await a follow up appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon. I will be a candidate for knee replacement surgery if I am not already. Had a flare up in one knee...became very tight and I limped around the house for two days. Big bounce back today, thank goodness, and I got out to run errands.

I didn't bother getting a shot in the knee this year before we went away for the winter. Since I started taking Tumeric (600g 2X/day) my knee feels great. I have been doing a fair amount of walking & lots of biking down here (in Belize) and the only time I've had a slight tightness was after 2 days of a low pressure system with lots of rain go through.

If you are still living in the general Barrie area you should consider seeing Dr Mike Korkola or Dr Charles Ikejiani. Both are excellent orthopaedic surgeons specializing in knees & hips. I am hoping to put off TKR surgery for many years.

~Diane

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't bother getting a shot in the knee this year before we went away for the winter. Since I started taking Tumeric (600g 2X/day) my knee feels great. I have been doing a fair amount of walking & lots of biking down here (in Belize) and the only time I've had a slight tightness was after 2 days of a low pressure system with lots of rain go through.

If you are still living in the general Barrie area you should consider seeing Dr Mike Korkola or Dr Charles Ikejiani. Both are excellent orthopaedic surgeons specializing in knees & hips. I am hoping to put off TKR surgery for many years.

~Diane
Sounds like an idea to preserve other knee

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a shot in my left knee and it provided relief for about 3 months. Full on pain and swelling thereafter. While I am not overweight, I proceeded to lose some weight, and I have lost 4 pounds in the past 2 weeks. My knee is already having less pain and swelling. I am determined to lose another 15 lbs and I hope my knee will continue improve with a lighter me.