• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scheduling knee replacement surgery

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You know, that's not bad. Are you doing the "ball-under-the-back-of-your-leg" thing to stretch and flex the joint? That really helped me. By the time I was done, I had more than 130 degrees of flex, and it went all the way straight very well. I was pleased.

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
120 degrees is great! Whatever you're doing must be working.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Does it count if I was screaming during the measurements
Screaming is fine, just don't hit the therapist which I was often tempted to do. :)

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the deep, aching pain that comes every evening and during the night

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am telling myself to not have a knee replacement after reading thread. I will lose that 10-15 lbs to help take some weight off my bad knee.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am telling myself to not have a knee replacement after reading thread. I will lose that 10-15 lbs to help take some weight off my bad knee.

Be sure to take into account that Rapmarks' experience is not typical. She has other issues in her life that are complicating the process, that others may not have to deal with. People have knee replacement surgeries all the time, and their recovery is a very different thing. Ask KarenG how her recovery went. She just had this surgery a few months ago. I know my own recovery was very straightforward, and I had no serious problems.

Sometimes you may not have a lot of options except surgery. Losing weight is all well and good, but if the knee joint is damaged, if the cartilage is long gone, if the osteoarthritis is progressive, there is only a certain amount you can do. Surgery may end up as your only choice. As I keep reminding myself, just like with a used car, "it's not the years - it's the mileage." :)

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to take into account that Rapmarks' experience is not typical. She has other issues in her life that are complicating the process, that others may not have to deal with. People have knee replacement surgeries all the time, and their recovery is a very different thing. Ask KarenG how her recovery went. She just had this surgery a few months ago. I know my own recovery was very straightforward, and I had no serious problems.

Sometimes you may not have a lot of options except surgery. Losing weight is all well and good, but if the knee joint is damaged, if the cartilage is long gone, if the osteoarthritis is progressive, there is only a certain amount you can do. Surgery may end up as your only choice. As I keep reminding myself, just like with a used car, "it's not the years - it's the mileage." :)

Dave
I hear you... I read that a new knee will last at most 20 years, so if I can delay the surgery until I am 90... just saying...;)

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
In twenty years, they should have some better temporary measures out there. I will be 94', and temporary will be okay.
My problem was all due to drug allergies. I knew it would cause problems, I thought the new one would work. I am now finding real bad pain evenings and during the night, which my pt says is typical.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will probably lose that weight if you have it too. I lost five already

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is something that was on the news, and as a lead in to news, albeit a long time ago. I certainly didn't watch it, Bears or packers weren't playing.
Whooops, this is in the wrong thread

Last edited:

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I was fortunate to find a surgeon that suggested I first try PRP injections into the remaining cartiledge I had in my knees...45%. They use your own blood for the injections by separating off the platelets and plasma and injecting it...and your immune system doesn't reject your own blood. After 3 months I had a 2mm growth on both knees and absolutely no pain You get the injections once a month for 3 months...at about $650 per injection. Not cheap but no recovery time or weight loss diet. You go once a year after that for a maintenance shot. Sports players like in football, hockey, baseball, tennis are flocking to this program...ask about it.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to find a surgeon that suggested I first try PRP injections into the remaining cartiledge I had in my knees...45%. They use your own blood for the injections by separating off the platelets and plasma and injecting it...and your immune system doesn't reject your own blood. After 3 months I had a 2mm growth on both knees and absolutely no pain You get the injections once a month for 3 months...at about $650 per injection. Not cheap but no recovery time or weight loss diet. You go once a year after that for a maintenance shot. Sports players like in football, hockey, baseball, tennis are flocking to this program...ask about it.
I would try in other knee for sure.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter had arranged for home health care while I was recuperating from surgery. They scheduled every day for four hours, but I changed to once a week. The occupational therapist was here at the same time, and she told the aide to clean off the top of the dryer, to help clean refrigerator and told me to have them clean out drawers and closets. Well I never got that far, but one came by surprise today, and the office said we would be charged for four hours, they claimed it was scheduled. I had her change my sheets, which she did grumpily. She sort of cleaned my kitchen counter after I provided her with rubber gloves, she was willing to sweep the kitchen floor, but no other floors, she wouldn't clean the kitchen sink. Not the front of microwave or stove top. There was nothing else she would do. She sat and texted. I had to let her go home with four hours pay after about forty minutes. I called the office to verify and they said only light housekeeping, this one carried it pretty far, as I still can't do a lot of the tasks she refused to do. What the heck am I supposed to do with her for four hours.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
If any qdvice for leg straightening I can use it. Getting along, but still a lot of pain that follows awhile after I do much, plus a real loss f stamina

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
If any qdvice for leg straightening I can use it. Getting along, but still a lot of pain that follows awhile after I do much, plus a real loss f stamina
Someone told me to lay face down on the bed and extend your leg over the end of the bed and let gravity help straighten the leg. He said he used a weight on his ankle to press his leg down even more.

Try to rest more! Don't try to do too much. It takes a lot of energy for your leg and knee to heal itself.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do have that one, and you wouldn't believe that after just a few minutes your leg doesn't want to move!
Last Thursday I went to the luncheon after a big hold fundraiser as I right the newspaper articles. A woman therecsqid she was getting her knee done in two weeks. I didn't play for three months before my surgery! Anyhow she said, you're walking two miles by now right. I was shocked and a bit concerned. Are you supposed to walk two miles four weeks after surgery?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Are you supposed to walk two miles four weeks after surgery?
I've never heard that before! My exercise of choice is water aerobics and I do that a few times a week. I think I probably could walk two miles if I wanted to, but my surgery was September 12.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to get back in the pool to do some exercises there, couple of small ares that haven't healed yet

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter had arranged for home health care while I was recuperating from surgery. They scheduled every day for four hours, but I changed to once a week. The occupational therapist was here at the same time, and she told the aide to clean off the top of the dryer, to help clean refrigerator and told me to have them clean out drawers and closets. Well I never got that far, but one came by surprise today, and the office said we would be charged for four hours, they claimed it was scheduled. I had her change my sheets, which she did grumpily. She sort of cleaned my kitchen counter after I provided her with rubber gloves, she was willing to sweep the kitchen floor, but no other floors, she wouldn't clean the kitchen sink. Not the front of microwave or stove top. There was nothing else she would do. She sat and texted. I had to let her go home with four hours pay after about forty minutes. I called the office to verify and they said only light housekeeping, this one carried it pretty far, as I still can't do a lot of the tasks she refused to do. What the heck am I supposed to do with her for four hours.

Home care is about assistance with the ADLs (Activities of Daily Living), i.e, eating/feeding, bathing, dressing, toileting, transferring and continence care. Light housekeeping is only permitted to areas that are directly used by the client/patient - bedroom and areas that are directly used by the client/patient, say eating area. The Home Care Aide is not allowed to go beyond ADLs (and light housekeeping) due to labor laws around overtime and Workers Compensation code. Anything beyond that falls under house cleaning labor law and workers compensation code. Workers Compensation code in Calfornia for house cleaning costs 3 times that of Home Care Aide. Labor law for Home Care Aides allows for working through lunches etc, the reasoning being that the Home Care Aide must always be available to proactively help with the safety of the elderly or disabled. Housekeeping labor law indicates that the employee must take a 30 minute meal breaks that starts no later than the 5th hour worked.

Obviously texting on the job for a Home Care Aide is not allowed... and if she worked for us, she would have been fired.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
She was sent home, but she still got paid for four hours, the first one that came did things she was asked, and had to be shown, the second one was experienced and a self starter and even found the swifter and did a lot of the floors, she even took the microwave plate out and washed it, I never asked her to do it. this one wouldn't wipe down anything.
the benefits stopped now, and as I said, I didn't request this visit, but they claim it was set up this way. I can do all the things listed by myself, but it is very hard to change bedding, bend over , lifting etc. glad I didn't have to have her sit here for four hours.