• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Second Molokai Trip of 2019

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It is Maka’s Corner. I couldn’t remember “Maka” but I swear it had a bar counter but it may have been only an area to order or pick-up drinks. The coffee place is next door.

We asked if we could sit inside at the little counter area facing the window and they said yes.

It is not a place for ambiance but service was friendly and the fish was prepared better and fresher than we had in the Cookhouse Restaurant and in the Molokai Hotel dining room.

View attachment 11739

They have the view, music and ambience. Service was friendly everywhere we went.

The Cookhouse is very popular on Thursday nights according to the locals because it is Prime Rib night. You may have to make reservations then?

I hope that your dinner is good at Hiro’s tonight. We didn’t go there and hadn’t heard of it but it has excellent ratings. I just looked it up and where it is.

Enjoy the dinner and evening tonight and Happy Birthday to your wife.

Yes, Maka’s does have a counter to order at and a small place to eat inside. They have a nice variety on their menu. I have been there twice and we will go again this trip. They have Saimin that is very very good. I have always taken mine as take out there though but I did see the places to eat outside.

Hiro’s was excellent and I’ll post that in a bit. DW had a great day and for Mother’s Day tomorrow she wants to stay home and relax. :thumbup:

Reactions: Xan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It is Maka’s Corner. I couldn’t remember “Maka” but I swear it had a bar counter but it may have been only an area to order or pick-up drinks. The coffee place is next door.

We asked if we could sit inside at the little counter area facing the window and they said yes.

It is not a place for ambiance but service was friendly and the fish was prepared better and fresher than we had in the Cookhouse Restaurant and in the Molokai Hotel dining room.

View attachment 11739

They have the view, music and ambience. Service was friendly everywhere we went.

The Cookhouse is very popular on Thursday nights according to the locals because it is Prime Rib night. You may have to make reservations then?

I hope that your dinner is good at Hiro’s tonight. We didn’t go there and hadn’t heard of it but it has excellent ratings. I just looked it up and where it is.

Enjoy the dinner and evening tonight and Happy Birthday to your wife.

Here’s some photos of Maka’s Corner from my first trip.

796747BB-258D-46DF-A3F9-76766858953D.jpeg
08AD0D02-FAB1-44DF-92E6-C044F1F0C761.jpeg
EE4EB55C-3EA1-4E54-BE13-DF3ACA874609.jpeg
008E1072-E418-45CD-A05C-C6724EC781D9.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
732B046D-FEAC-418B-8EF3-F9CABA7C74CC.jpeg
552B4345-2712-4795-B3CE-D6F331B7755B.jpeg
E618517E-632B-44BA-9CEE-E2BCB8B2CE18.jpeg
26D70D85-DA09-456D-9817-234034E149ED.jpeg
40ACD755-8643-494B-939C-ED538D157109.jpeg
8E82F7B0-8CE7-4AFE-9FF3-E6E5FCCDF197.jpeg
593A2879-1D89-4620-ADC1-7754BD2FF4CD.jpeg
Great Birthday Dinner at Hiro’s tonight. They were pretty busy and they are totally booked for Mother’s Day tomorrow.
I had the Hawaiian plate with Lau Lau, Mahi Mahi and Korean Ribs, all with Poi and picked onions. The poi was fresh and that does make a big difference. I actually ate all of it. DW had the catch of the day Mahi Mahi. We had crab stuffed mushrooms to start and finished off with Mile High Chocolate cake and I had the raspberry cheesecake. Oh and she had a Li Hing Mui Margarita which she loved.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
D855AD47-FBE7-4E29-8C09-98AACC018B6D.jpeg
95EEEBA0-D0CF-446D-A76A-6C62D51D1719.jpeg
Then of course we had to make a Hot Bread run for breakfast tomorrow. We tried the new flavors, Guava and Raspberry.

Reactions: Xan

taffy19

Reaction score
Yes, Maka’s does have a counter to order at and a small place to eat inside. They have a nice variety on their menu. I have been there twice and we will go again this trip. They have Saimin that is very very good. I have always taken mine as take out there though but I did see the places to eat outside.

Hiro’s was excellent and I’ll post that in a bit. DW had a great day and for Mother’s Day tomorrow she wants to stay home and relax. :thumbup:
Yes, that looks like the place. I thought that you had been there before but I couldn't find the pictures during this trip.

I see from your other photos now that we ate at the same restaurant but I didn't even realize that the name was Hiro's. It was right at the hotel and there was a little bar where you could have a drink and eat something too after lunch was served and before the dining room was open but they had very limited choice there. We ate there twice but it is pricey but we had left overs.

I took many pictures because the sky kept on changing and I took some movies too because I loved the music and the ambiance and dinner was good. Our waiter was so busy that night but he never lost his cool and was very pleasant. He did forget to bring my husband's desert but that meant that we could stay longer. They were taking reservations for Mother's Day already.

I have spent hours tonight trying to figure out what is wrong with getting my movies off the iPhone and the pictures keep disappearing or the quality has gone from good to bad. It should all go automatically but something is wrong. I will have to get help because I would hate to lose all my memories.

I will try to attach a screen shot and a picture that I took at the end of this evening.

upload_2019-5-12_3-58-16.png

Looking at the desert menu.

upload_2019-5-12_4-19-41.png

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Li Hing Mui Margarita: My new life goal. :)

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, that looks like the place. I thought that you had been there before but I couldn't find the pictures during this trip.

I see from your other photos now that we ate at the same restaurant but I didn't even realize that the name was Hiro's. It was right at the hotel and there was a little bar where you could have a drink and eat something too after lunch was served and before the dining room was open but they had very limited choice there. We ate there twice but it is pricey but we had left overs.

I took many pictures because the sky kept on changing and I took some movies too because I loved the music and the ambiance and dinner was good. Our waiter was so busy that night but he never lost his cool and was very pleasant. He did forget to bring my husband's desert but that meant that we could stay longer. They were taking reservations for Mother's Day already.

I have spent hours tonight trying to figure out what is wrong with getting my movies off the iPhone and the pictures keep disappearing or the quality has gone from good to bad. It should all go automatically but something is wrong. I will have to get help because I would hate to lose all my memories.

I will try to attach a screen shot and a picture that I took at the end of this evening.

View attachment 11753

Looking at the desert menu.

View attachment 11754

Great pictures! Yes, that’s Hiro’s. There was someone playing Hawaiian music while we were there too, Very nice.

DW just wants to spend the day at home today so no big adventures.

Happy Mother’s Day to all!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

taffy19

Reaction score
Li Hing Mui Margarita: My new life goal. :)

Dave
That is easy to reach. :cool: Lots of recipes on the Internet to even make them at home but Island time is missing.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
:shrug:
That is easy to reach. :cool: Lots of recipes on the Internet to even make them at home but Island time is missing.

Aah, yes, that's true. But Island Time is da bes' kine time. ;)

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because of the time change, I'm not sure about this, but I believe that both your wife and I share a birthday--May 11th. :) Happy birthday to her!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Because of the time change, I'm not sure about this, but I believe that both your wife and I share a birthday--May 11th. :) Happy birthday to her!

And a Happy Birthday to you, Amy! And also to Mrs. @slip!

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, you do! Happy Birthday to you too! hope you had a great day!!

taffy19

Reaction score
Aah, yes, that's true. But Island Time is da bes' kine time. ;)

Dave
Oh, I agree with you. Is it the air, beach, ocean or the sound of birds and aroma of tropical flowers or the Aloha Spirit and being relaxed? You have to experience Hawaii to know what we mean, who have been there.

Also, don't plan too much and go with the flow. Do what you feel like at that moment and if it is that Li Hing Mui Margarita, then treat yourself and enjoy it with another person or more people. The Locals know how to do this and I love their culture too. Aloha!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh, I agree with you. Is it the air, beach, ocean or the sound of birds and aroma of tropical flowers or the Aloha Spirit and being relaxed? You have to experience Hawaii to know what we mean, who have been there.

For me, every time I get off the plane and walk outside, I feel like the Islands are saying "Welcome Home!" The sun is a little brighter, the air is a little more clear, the temperature is warm and embracing, the scents of flowers and the sea are familiar, and it's all completely comforting. I don't believe in reincarnation per se, but I'm convinced I lived before as a Hawaiian. It's been that way since I first moved there when I was 14. The entire island experience for me is one of feeling completely at home, every time I visit. And that is probably one of the reasons I can't ever get enough of being there. It always feels like home. :)

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Around noon I noticed that one was at the cabana or the pool. We headed down and got some sun and pool time in. I’ve been getting some laps in every day. Everyone must have been out for Mother’s Day. We stayed for hours. People started coming at a little before 4pm. Another warm sunny day, it got up to 86 today.

It was a nice lazy day by the pool.

420234C4-3521-405D-B45D-DF1E0090666A.jpeg

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Yes, that’s living. I can see why you picked that place as a retirement choice. Quiet, peaceful, and beautiful views.

Slip are you sure you will be able to wait 4 years to retire? Discipline man discipline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, that’s living. I can see why you picked that place as a retirement choice. Quiet, peaceful, and beautiful views.

Slip are you sure you will be able to wait 4 years to retire? Discipline man discipline.

I’m starting to wonder if I have that much discipline. :) My wife is wondering how we will make two years. :)

We have one more trip back planned for Labor Day week and we were starting to plan for 2020. Sounds like we’ll do one week on Kauai and the second on Molokai that will probably be in February. After that probably another two weeks in May or June on Molokai.

Then in 2021 my wife turns 62 and will winter here. She’s been making plans for that this whole vacation. :thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well we made it all the way to Halawa Bay today. It’s about 15 miles to the east/northeast of our condo. The last eight miles it’s only a one lane road with a few blind corners. The signs say Limited Visibility corners. It has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. :thumbup:

Here’s a short video I took with my phone from a pullout on the road overlooking the bay. I have another video that I took while on the bay but that was with my camera so I have to upload it first.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After the Halawa Bay trip, we headed back into Kaunakakai town for lunch. We stopped at the Sundown Deli. Super nice lady who has owned it for 21 years. She only has two tables in there but we stayed and ate there. We talked to her for over and hour. It was actually a half hour after she closed. She said it was nice talking to someone new. She used to work at the Sheraton in the ‘70’s. No pictures this time we were talking the whole time.

But we did stop for a shake at Dave’s Hawaiian Ice Cream and I snapped a picture of the most popular flavor.

9E8C5E55-A0D9-4C81-A044-83F18F1DCD17.jpeg

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
After the Halawa Bay trip, we headed back into Kaunakakai town for lunch. We stopped at the Sundown Deli. Super nice lady who has owned it for 21 years. She only has two tables in there but we stayed and ate there. We talked to her for over and hour. It was actually a half hour after she closed. She said it was nice talking to someone new. She used to work at the Sheraton in the ‘70’s. No pictures this time we were talking the whole time.

But we did stop for a shake at Dave’s Hawaiian Ice Cream and I snapped a picture of the most popular flavor.

View attachment 11766

Nice. And you really think you will wait 4 years to retire? I give you 2.

Yep, slip is going to give the job the slip in 2...or less.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s a couple more pictures we snapped along the way. I have another couple short videos my wife took with my phone that I will put on so you can see some of the road. The last picture is of Maui in the distance.

4ABF456F-4D66-48DC-9413-6B5B11401C4B.jpeg
8C30BEB9-4996-4BBA-888A-8D7551D2092B.jpeg
988AA905-CF0F-42F7-B9CD-FDDC8D874B0E.jpeg
B227A754-2230-40C4-99A8-EE1FEC641102.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice. And you really think you will wait 4 years to retire? I give you 2.

Yep, slip is going to give the job the slip in 2...or less.

It does get harder to leave each time. As I type this sitting under the cabana by the pool.

5F5DFCEA-E955-4CF8-8C35-28686B6C8A88.jpeg

My God help me, I just took a selfie. :)

FA7CCCFD-C41E-4A34-9B13-AB9C07900324.jpeg

Last edited: