• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Security alert Playa del carmen & security concerns in Mexico (merged)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Too soon...

Very sad about the family.

On the matter of the Gas/CO detectors: based on the comments on Amazon, I might consider testing the explosive gas side of the detector (in a safe manner). There have been some not-so-encouraging reports on the combined detectors failing to detect explosive gasses. Safe testing being the operative phrase here.

BTW: I'm pretty sure that all CO detectors have a live span; something like 5 years max.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Just a reminder -- if a unit has a gas stove, that has the same potential produce a gas leak as a water heater.

Kurt

P.S. Not sure what a "hot water heater" is -- why would you have to heat water that is hot already? ;)

Because that is what my Dad always called a water heater - could be a South Carolina term since he grew up there. (Some things just stick!) Also, it keeps turning on to keep the water hot! :)

Here in AZ, we have a solar water heater and a gas water heater. When the temps outside are 110+, we do not need either! The cold water is instantly hot when you turn it on - you have to wait for it to cool down as most of the water pipes that feed faucets are in the attic and with lots of insulation, it stays hot all day. In August, the pool is 90 degrees.

I do know that Mayan World has only electric cook-tops in their units - I have stayed at every level sometime or another since 1999. :)

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I am so sorry about your cousin. What a horrible tragedy. I am glad you are in Miami now. That is my hometown. Neither I, nor anyone in my huge extended family, have ever had any crime problems in Miami. While I may criticize Miami at times (as a native does), it is certainly a safe city compared to what you have experienced in your life. Thank you for bringing a real world perspective to this thread.

I've been in Miami almost all my life since 1970.
I wasn't born in DR but New York.
I still have family there but they come to me now.
My condo couch is always a free hotel for any family
wanting to come. I don't mind it.
Cheaper than a timeshare.

And yeah Miami definitely has it's areas and if you stay
out of them you usually do okay although that's changing.
I live in Brickell and we have had our share of crime.
Luckily nobody in our building has been killed but it has
happened in neighboring condos. It's rare but it happens.
Probably drug related though as there is still alot of that
even in the "good" areas it's just hidden better like they
do in Cancun.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
In spite of my posts here, we are planning another trip to Mexico next month. We'll just take our chances again! If I have any problems, I will let you know. Either way, I will let you know. Hopefully, it will be great.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Hope you have a great trip! We’re heading down next week.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
In spite of my posts here, we are planning another trip to Mexico next month. We'll just take our chances again! If I have any problems, I will let you know. Either way, I will let you know. Hopefully, it will be great.

It looks like we scored a 3 bedroom penthouse on a warm beach in Mexico that we will be enjoying with good friends. The one thing that the perception of misfortune in Mexico creates is an opportunity for better vacations for those that go. Less competition makes better deals on goods and services.

Bill

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
It looks like we scored a 3 bedroom penthouse on a warm beach in Mexico that we will be enjoying with good friends. The one thing that the perception of misfortune in Mexico creates is an opportunity for better vacations for those that go. Less competition makes better deals on goods and services.

Bill

Where are you staying? I really like the Caribbean coast of Mexico. We refuse to swim in the Pacific coast.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Just spent 10 days in Playa del Carmen and Bacalar. We had a wonderful time and would return tomorrow.

Just stay in the tourist zone and don’t try to make drug deals in the city and you should be ok.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Just spent 10 days in Playa del Carmen and Bacalar. We had a wonderful time and would return tomorrow.

Just stay in the tourist zone and don’t try to make drug deals in the city and you should be ok.

Love Playa del Carmen. We will be visiting next month.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Where are you staying? I really like the Caribbean coast of Mexico. We refuse to swim in the Pacific coast.

In a three bedroom penthouse very close to the beach in Mexico.

Bill

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
From Northern California, there are only two warm beach destinations we can fly to nonstop: Hawaii or Mexico, not including Florida. I think folks on the East Coast and Texas are very lucky because you also have the option of flying non stop to many of the Caribbean islands. For us, that is a long trip. I used to visit the Caribbean a lot when I lived in Miami but only once since living in California.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
From Northern California, there are only two warm beach destinations we can fly to nonstop: Hawaii or Mexico, not including Florida. I think folks on the East Coast and Texas are very lucky because you also have the option of flying non stop to many of the Caribbean islands. For us, that is a long trip. I used to visit the Caribbean a lot when I lived in Miami but only once since living in California.

Isn't where you live kind of your choice? :p

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Isn't where you live kind of your choice? :p

Yes, not complaining, just commenting on how lucky folks in other parts of country are to be able to have so many non stop flights. SFO is very limited. LA is a better airport for non stop flights (but I would never live there either). I would like to move but my spouse likes the expensive, high paying rat race in Northern Cal.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Also, my comment is my rationale for why we go to Mexico and Hawaii so often. I would prefer to travel to Caribbean more often but the travel is exhausting. So we are going back to Mexico again next month. 6 times in 12 months to Mexico!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, not complaining, just commenting on how lucky folks in other parts of country are to be able to have so many non stop flights. SFO is very limited. LA is a better airport for non stop flights (but I would never live there either). I would like to move but my spouse likes the expensive, high paying rat race in Northern Cal.

We selected where we live for all the reasons you mentioned (and more) with forethought! Not expensive, no rat race, DFW or DAL (SWA) gets me anywhere. And if I want to be cheap domestic, sometimes OKC pays off. I was just hassling you. Availability of flights and central location was high on our list.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We outgrew our love for California after we became small business owners. It was nice when we were employees of high tech companies drawing nice paychecks, we loved everything about California then. We moved out but still return to Southern California area to get away from the heat. We now have the best of both worlds. We prefer to vacation in California over Mexico and Hawaii because we do not need to catch a flight.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We outgrew our love for California after we became small business owners. It was nice when we were employees of high tech companies drawing nice paychecks, we loved everything about California then. We moved out but still return to Southern California area to get away from the heat. We now have the best of both worlds. We prefer to vacation in California over Mexico and Hawaii because we do not need to catch a flight.

Yeah, as odd as it may sound to some, a lot of Californians here. They sell their houses, buy one here 2 times as big or nice, and pocket the rest and retire. Assuming they are mostly paid off houses of course. They can buy 4-6 houses similar to the one they own out West of the same size and quality, so, they usually upgrade significantly. With the advent of numerous stay at home jobs, like I had for much of my career, little reason to live somewhere expensive, unless you just want to of course.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

That is my plan. My spouse works for a high tech company so my spouse does not want to move. I am a small business owner and I am over regulated and over taxed (hence why the timeshare tax rants annoy me). I am ready to retire early, if only I could convince my spouse we have enough money. My spouse is one of those people who thinks we never have enough. I hope to one day have an address like you “somewhere out there”...LOL.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Yeah, as odd as it may sound to some, a lot of Californians here. They sell their houses, buy one here 2 times as big or nice, and pocket the rest and retire. Assuming they are mostly paid off houses of course. They can buy 4-6 houses similar to the one they own out West of the same size and quality, so, they usually upgrade significantly. With the advent of numerous stay at home jobs, like I had for much of my career, little reason to live somewhere expensive, unless you just want to of course.

Exactly, I think anything below $1.5 million for a nice home is a bargain. In Bay Area, that is a tear down.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
When you live in the Silicon Valley, your sense of money become warped. It is very sad. A tiny house on my block sold in one day. It is half as nice as our house and it was asking $1.8 million. We thought it was a tear down. I assume it sold above asking.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not surprising... looking at the stats, many retirees move out of California as well as businesses that could be transplanted. But my son does not want to leave California and I travel back to see him several times a year. Changes are hard for him. He has decided to pursue a second Bachelor's degree and I am supportive. Anything that will help him get a job that he thinks he will enjoy. I am very mobile and have always been so as I love an adventure. I have lived and worked in 3 different countries, courtesy of my former employer.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
We selected where we live for all the reasons you mentioned (and more) with forethought! Not expensive, no rat race, DFW or DAL (SWA) gets me anywhere. And if I want to be cheap domestic, sometimes OKC pays off. I was just hassling you. Availability of flights and central location was high on our list.

I have suggested Dallas to my spouse for those reasons. I do not get a positive reaction. Some people are very attached to California. Also no state income tax in Texas. A huge benefit.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you live in the Silicon Valley, your sense of money become warped. It is very sad. A tiny house on my block sold in one day. It is half as nice as our house and it was asking $1.8 million. We thought it was a tear down. I assume it sold above asking.
Tell your spouse that when you both move out of California, cash out on your home and you will both feel RICH! :)