• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX Hawaii Trade: Happy Exchanger

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Btw, I just posted a Hawaii week on the sightings board, just sitting there in online inventory on SFX.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Btw, I just posted a Hawaii week on the sightings board, just sitting there in online inventory on SFX.
Thanks much! I called and they were willing to let me trade for it. We'll have 2 weeks in the same location now. Appreciate you letting me know.
Only potential hiccup...I'm within 60 days of my week. They have an exchange request for my TS they are verifying. Presuming the exchangers still want it, SFX will take my week and give me this week in exchange.
I'll let you know when they call me back.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
In the end, they couldn't take my 2nd week. I could have exchanged one of my 2019 weeks, but I deposited my 2018 week with RCI and combined with other TPUs. In the end, I exchanged through RCI for a 2BR at Bay Club (on the same resort complex as Kohala Suites) so we'll have 2 weeks on the property with a room/building change after 1 week.

I'm happy with the end result. If only I could take 3 straight weeks off...then I could use II for the 3rd week and hit the exchange company trifecta.

NewbieMom

Reaction score
It's my first time using SFX. I have a deposited week and a bonus week available. Does the deposited week have a higher chance of getting a hit in a request?

How early should I put in a search request for London? What is the likelihood of getting a match for spring 2019, or should I try for 2020? We're flexible on when we go.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
It's my first time using SFX. I have a deposited week and a bonus week available. Does the deposited week have a higher chance of getting a hit in a request?

How early should I put in a search request for London? What is the likelihood of getting a match for spring 2019, or should I try for 2020? We're flexible on when we go.
I don't know. My bonus week was able to "get" Hawaii weeks as well, but it was at a significantly higher exchange cost. The bonus week would have cost me ~ $1100 compared to the deposited week exchange cost of $149. Still $1100 for a 2BR in Hawaii is still phenomenal.

Request date matters so get the request in soonest. I highly encourage you to call and get a representative you like. Get their direct number and build rapport with them. Call at times, discuss options, and check on the exchange. They are very helpful.

I'm not a fan of their online exchange search. It's horrible and needs a revamp. I'm also not convinced it returns all the available inventory.

On a related note, I believe Diamond members get better exchanges. Why do I believe this? Their website states:

SFX Diamond Exclusive Benefits
1. Better Timeshare Exchanges for Owners.

I take this to mean Diamond members get better trades (may not be what they mean, but it's how I take it). From a business perspective, it makes sense. Keep paying members happy so they continue being paying members.

Last edited:

JuliGee

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of their online exchange search. It's horrible and needs a revamp. I'm also not convinced it returns all the available inventory.

Their online exchange availability is only their left over weeks typically last minute stuff. You never see all available inventory in that search widget. I think they do say that on the search page maybe? maybe not?

Juli

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Their online exchange availability is only their left over weeks typically last minute stuff. You never see all available inventory in that search widget. I think they do say that on the search page maybe? maybe not?

Juli
I'll check and add a post in a bit. Last minute weeks are on Resort Escapes. You can search 2 years out on the Online Exchange portion...either way, I call any time I really want to check availability.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Here's what the website states:

=================================
Don't see the unit you're looking for?
The space available for online booking represents a small percentage of space deposited with SFX. Typically, these are units with no immediate requests from our members. As with all exchange companies, most weeks deposited will not be viewable online as they are first offered to Members who have already placed a search request for their exchange.
Place a request for this destination and an SFX Agent will try to secure an exchange for you.
==================================

While I agree it's the "leftover" inventory, I don't agree that it's only last minute...I just believe that not all inventory (including those without existing requests) are displayed with the online exchange. The above further solidifies it in my mind when they say it's a small percentage of available units and it's "typically" units with no requests. That leaves plenty of room for other available units not displaying with the online exchange.

Even when I have an existing exchange request, I call every now and then to check the status and/or determine if I want to expand my scope (they still keep the original request date as long as it's not a huge deviation from the original request). Reps are very helpful.

Juli, I notice you are a huge proponent for SFX. Based on my recent experience and other successful exchanges for tuggers, I am as well...SFX was able to get 2 weeks for me in HI this year in Hilton timeshares (granted 1 didn't work out, but would have if I would have used my 2019 week or paid $1100 for my bonus week). 2BR Hilton units for my 2BR Vacation Village units is a superb value. I'll definitely keep using them, especially when I plan on going to HI.

NewbieMom

Reaction score
As a newbie to exchanging and SFX, I have to say I'm really not liking this exchange company. I'm currently looking for a place to go Xmas week (anywhere!) just to use my expiring bonus week and nothing shows up in the online exchange. I know it's a popular week, but absolutely no hits when I select "Any City". I just want the option to put in a timeframe and see the possibilities and then book.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
As a newbie to exchanging and SFX, I have to say I'm really not liking this exchange company. I'm currently looking for a place to go Xmas week (anywhere!) just to use my expiring bonus week and nothing shows up in the online exchange. I know it's a popular week, but absolutely no hits when I select "Any City". I just want the option to put in a timeframe and see the possibilities and then book.
Christmas week with any exchange company is virtually impossible to get. It's one of the hardest, if not hardest, exchanges to get.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

You’re best off calling them and talking to a rep. The online exchange doesn’t show the inventory they have. I’ve gotten Xmas weeks from them by calling or by putting in an exchange request, but never by using the online exchange thingy.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So...as I posted in a different thread about 3 weeks ago.....I too got SFX to get me a King's Land 1br during Jan/Feb 2019. This with a Worldmark deposit.

My only interchange with SFX in 3 years of having membership. It was great.

I was told that HGVC Hawaii resorts have a 1/4 rule and you can get units in the neighbor resort (KL, KH, BC) but not two in the same resort. They did mention that sometimes there are Bonus week opportunities etc.... but didn't push the sell.

I have NO affiliation with SFX other than my KL 1br for 2019!
I was a very happy camper with my 1 exchange.

Good luck to all....

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
So...as I posted in a different thread about 3 weeks ago.....I too got SFX to get me a King's Land 1br during Jan/Feb 2019. This with a Worldmark deposit.

My only interchange with SFX in 3 years of having membership. It was great.

I was told that HGVC Hawaii resorts have a 1/4 rule and you can get units in the neighbor resort (KL, KH, BC) but not two in the same resort. They did mention that sometimes there are Bonus week opportunities etc.... but didn't push the sell.

I have NO affiliation with SFX other than my KL 1br for 2019!
I was a very happy camper with my 1 exchange.

Good luck to all....
Thanks taterhead. I read your posts and almost referenced you specifically in my post above. Glad you commented here.

NewbieMom

Reaction score
You’re best off calling them and talking to a rep. The online exchange doesn’t show the inventory they have. I’ve gotten Xmas weeks from them by calling or by putting in an exchange request, but never by using the online exchange thingy.

When I call in the request, do I just give them a long list of everywhere I'm willing to take?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
When I call in the request, do I just give them a long list of everywhere I'm willing to take?

I would just call and talk to them and see what they have available, but it’s up to you. They do have a directory of resorts they exchange, but Hawaii and Mexico seem to be what they do best.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I had a Kohala 2br, but really wanted to try out King's Land. So, on the spur of the moment, I called them.

We actually set up a request.....she asked lots of questions... told me the sizes and time frame for units to normally drop.....and then called me back five mins later and said 'I think we can get you a 1br if you'd like it.....' and I got the exchange.

So, yes, just call and chat with them. Keep in mind: SFX doesn't really have a 'throw-back' policy. If you give them a list of acceptable exchanges, you owe the exchange fee if they can match. So really make sure you're happy with the possible dates/locations.

cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you mean Christmas of 2018, I think you're too late (it'll be a very slim chance, IMO). Even with RCI/II, IMO.
I've booked many Christmas weeks with SFX, but I put my request in at LEAST 12 months in advance.
BTW, even owning with Hilton, it's almost a no-go. Especially Hawaii because I think all but 1 resort on the Big Island cannot be booked unless you own the specific Christmas week. I've checked 9 months out (the earliest I can book with Hilton) and nothing for Christmas week. The week before, yes (even as of about 3 weeks ago they still had some weeks before Christmas).

However, you'll want to call in, as the online system only shows readily available stuff. Just like RCI (if I go on RCI I don't think I can find any Christmas weeks in their ready inventory at least for Hawaii, Mexico). Would have to setup an OGS (ongoing search) for those, IMO.

Sometimes, SFX can reinstate a bonus week if it's expired, if you make another deposit, but you'd want to call and check on that.

Good luck!

NewbieMom

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and comments. I'm really trying to learn how to exchange and take advantage of the additional vacation options as we haven't been using our timeshare (1br RiverPoint Napa). Turns out we actually have 2 deposited weeks and 3 bonus weeks (all 5 expiring 1/2019, 6/2019, and 6/2020). So I need to figure out what to do with them, or just let it expire.

I'll call and setup some OGS. We are flexible on place but not on time (as we can usually only travel holidays, spring break, and summer) which are all high demand, low availability times.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
So I did get Kohala Suites for 7/7-7/14 of this year. My kids are deciding who gets it. The only problem is that one week is not enough, coming from Denver. We need a second week somewhere, Maui or the Big Island, and of course SFX has not come through for a second week. I asked for a second week at the same resort. We will see if SFX can get it.

I am also in need of a second unit at HGVC SeaWorld for 12/1-12/8. They did get me the one. I need another week and will probably book through RCI to get it. Easy exchange with RCI...

I did get my second 2 bedroom week for Hilton SeaWorld, 12/1-12/8, and I am very happy with that exchange because we need to go at the same time as our son and daughter-in-law and our little baby granddaughter.

Yesterday, I was able to confirm a week at a Myrtle Beach resort for mid-May with SFX, and I am happy with that as well. I can combine that week with something else in II and RCI. I even saw Marriott's Myrtle Beach resort sitting online for the exact date I need.

The thing is, I am not tied to school schedules, so exchanging with SFX should be a breeze. II and RCI have everything I get from SFX, but I can just grab it online.

There has to be an easier way to deal with SFX.

The lack of TUG members' success with SFX is apparent with the lack of threads. I had to search many pages of threads to find this one. People are growing tired of waiting for exchanges. I still have many weeks on deposit, and my sister wants something fairly easy. She wants February in San Francisco. That should be easy for SFX. We will see.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Glad you got it. I'm happy with my upcoming exchange....I'll try again sometime.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I did get my second 2 bedroom week for Hilton SeaWorld, 12/1-12/8, and I am very happy with that exchange because we need to go at the same time as our son and daughter-in-law and our little baby granddaughter.

Yesterday, I was able to confirm a week at a Myrtle Beach resort for mid-May with SFX, and I am happy with that as well. I can combine that week with something else in II and RCI. I even saw Marriott's Myrtle Beach resort sitting online for the exact date I need.

The thing is, I am not tied to school schedules, so exchanging with SFX should be a breeze. II and RCI have everything I get from SFX, but I can just grab it online.

There has to be an easier way to deal with SFX.

The lack of TUG members' success with SFX is apparent with the lack of threads. I had to search many pages of threads to find this one. People are growing tired of waiting for exchanges. I still have many weeks on deposit, and my sister wants something fairly easy. She wants February in San Francisco. That should be easy for SFX. We will see.
Nice to read about your exchanges. I took advantage of their deposit special. Received 2 bonus weeks (plus $100 discount on $399 or higher BW), an extension of our unused bonus week, and an AC to Mexico. The AC works for us since we'd like to go to Grand Luxxe in RM one more time. After SFX upgrade fees (size and luxery fees) it'll cost me nearly the same as an II/RCI exchange; however, it won't cost me a deposited week.

We have a request in for Maui/Kauai. If a match is made, we can decide if we want to use our deposited week or bonus week. We'll look at the cost of each then determine which to use. Will let you know how that goes...or if we even get a match

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have tried so many times to get Maui or Kauai and have come up empty from SFX. I still have several deposits with them. It's frustrating because they just never come up with anything that I cannot get from II and RCI, and without the frustration.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried for several years to get a good exchange with SFX. Unfortunately, since I can only travel when school is out, it makes it very difficult to get a good trade with SFX. I can trade into Cancun, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta every Xmas, New years week with ease through II or RCI as long as I set up ongoing searches far in advance. But I have never been able to get a Xmas or New Years Mexico week with SFX. It's nice that it works for some people. Unfortunately, I'm just not one of those people...

JuliGee

Reaction score

Now that's interesting. Do you have actual data that accurately shows

1. How many TUG members use SFX?
2. Of all TUG members that do use SFX, what percentage post about their results?
3. Do you have data that shows all of their exchanges are fulfilled versus not fulfilled?

Because if you don't have that data, there are those who would ask if that comment is based on your own rhetorical theory? Their posted audits show a fulfillment rates in excess of 90%, and I believe that is based on factual data, not theories.

Juli

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that's interesting. Do you have actual data that accurately shows

1. How many TUG members use SFX?
2. Of all TUG members that do use SFX, what percentage post about their results?
3. Do you have data that shows all of their exchanges are fulfilled versus not fulfilled?

Because if you don't have that data, there are those who would ask if that comment is based on your own rhetorical theory? Their posted audits show a fulfillment rates in excess of 90%, and I believe that is based on factual data, not theories.

Juli

Do you have access to their internal audit data or a link showing it? I did a Google search specific to their site with the keyword audit, and it does not appear anywhere on their website...

Also, I think it's reasonable to assume they would paint their success in the best possible light. I would trust TUGger experiences way more than I would trust company provided stuff anyway.