• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shearwater 3 Bedroom

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Hi All,

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Hawaii forum, but I'll ask here since my questions seem a little more Wyndham specific. :)

I'm looking at Kauai as part of a Hawaii trip in late June/early July of 2019. We are taking my parents, so a three bedroom would be perfect (DH, teenage DS, and my mom and dad).

From my poking around online it looks like Shearwater has one and only one 3 bedroom unit, can anyone tell me about my chances of getting it at 10 months? I've read that this unit has a Saturday check in, but with the new changes, it looks like this unit is available to book less than full weeks (I have been poking at the 2018 calendar a bit), can anyone confirm? We're thinking 7 nights on the big island and something like 4 or 5 nights on Kauai, but if we had to do a full week, we could shift that thinking.

Does anyone have any photos of the 3 bedroom unit? Any feedback on it? I did see that there is a loft and that has an AC unit, which is good, since I'm a little concerned about sleeping without AC, just knowing it is there would make me feel better :) . Anything else to know about the unit?

And this unit would never come up in RCI, right? Looks like a lot of people use RCI to get a better points value vs. booking directly with Wyndham. We do have some points sitting in RCI that we could use, and we've also banked most of our 2018 points, so I have a bit of wiggle room for this trip.

We could do two 2 bedroom units, but being all together would be more fun and more convenient. I suppose I should do some math on booking one through RCI and one through Wyndham...maybe that would be a good backup plan if I can't get the 3 bedroom?

Thanks for following my rambling questions!

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
I can not answer your question's about the 3 bedroom.... BUT I have stayed at the Shearwater and it is a wonderful place to stay!!! it isn't all that huge so even if you had to get two rooms its not like you would be miles apart like in some Time Shares.... after you figure out your point's used and the actual cost you can't beat doing it through RCI..... we spent a week on Oahu and 4 days at the Shearwater..... wonderful trip!!! Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I would say your chances are really low for a full week at 10 months. I have never seen it appear. And I cannot imagine if every appearing in RCI - if so it would be a unicorn.

As I understand it the 3BR unit was David Walters (Pahio founder) personal unit, and is the 3rd floor unit that is closest to the cliff (right hand side). Views from up there must be amazing - but no elevator.

I second Magic1962's post - it is a great resort. If it was less points, I would be there all the time.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My favorite timeshare resort on Kauai. The 2BR sleeps 5 comfortably. Some units have 2 double beds in the 2nd bedroom. It should do even if you can only book for one unit. :)

Mary W

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed in the three bedroom unit at Shearwater twice. It is on the third floor of the third building, closest to the golf course. (There are no elevators at Shearwater but the front desk at Ka Eo Kai may be able to have someone help with luggage.) The master bedroom opens onto the lanai and has a king bed and a private bathroom. The second bedroom has two double beds. It is to the right as you come in the front door. The second bathroom is separate, with access from the rest of the unit. The third bedroom is upstairs. It is a huge loft with a queen bed, a separate small sitting area and a large walk-in closet. It has its own bathroom, plus a wall air conditioner, which does a good job of cooling. It also has its own very small lanai with two chairs. Because it is a loft, with an opening to the living room below, sounds carry. Some may want more privacy.

I think the kitchen, living room and dining room are the same size as all the other units at Shearwater. (It always surprises me that there isn't a large dining room table or additional sofas.) But probably the best thing about the unit is the extra large lanai with its spectacular (almost 360 degrees) views.

If you need a specific week for this unit, I think it will be very hard to reserve. But I have seen availability pop up throughout the year on the Wyndham website. I don't think it is ever deposited with RCI or any other exchange company.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Thank you so much for all of the thoughts, tips, ideas, etc. guys!

A Hawaii visit together has been on my mom's bucket list for quite some time and will likely be a single event (at least all together), so I'm hoping to make it as awesome as possible. All of these pieces of info really help!

It sure would be sweet to get the 3 bedroom, but I won't hold my breath. We do have some flexibility within late June and pretty much all of July, so maybe I'll just watch and see if anything is available at my 10 month window and plan around that if it does pop up. Two 2 bedrooms would most certainly work, and a single 2 bedroom would do the trick, too, just a bit more cozy...we've become so spoiled with space timesharing!

Of course there are other resorts on the island and we could also look at rentals as well...plenty of options, but Shearwater seems to be THE pick if we can swing it.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
We reserved a 2 BR Presidential at Shearwater at the 10 month mark for June 1st of 2018. Requested the room upgrade but of course never got that. Then to our surprise, within 60 days of departure the 2 BR presidential as well as 2 BR deluxe units became available for the VIP discount so we re-booked the presidential at the discount and canceled the original. BTW there was lots of availability up the road at Bali Hai within the 60 day mark as well .. filling up as we get closer.

Bob

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Might be more availability this year because of the recent flooding on Kauai’s north shore.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I think your chances of getting a 3 bed for certain dates will be tough. If you can be flexible, maybe you can get one with Wyndham points.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can be flexible, maybe you can get one with Wyndham points.

Just out of curiosity, I ran a quick search. Shearwater currently shows a 3BRPR available
for the week 12/1/18-12/8/18. Not exactly cheap at 600K points (close to $500/night in MFs).

But it is available.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Thanks again everyone! After more poking around we decided that Kapaa looks like a better fit for our active family - that bike/jog/walk path along the water is totally up our alley along with walkability to shops and restaurants, that way we can split up if we want to and not have to rely on driving as much. I found a Pono Kai owner willing to rent to us, there is a 2 bedroom plus loft floorplan that looks like a great fit for our crew, and it has AC for just in case :) Shearwater can wait until DH and I go solo during the cooler months...hahaha, I'm already anticipating wanting to go back!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Has any got picture or video of the 3 BRs and / or the new renovations? So many pictures have the old look on them. Just trying to make sure I know what the new look is like.