• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell Vacations migrating to Club Wyndham Plus

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I noticed an item on the website about this and it lines up with what we were told at our last update.

The notice does say that Club Wyndham Plus is an exchange network.

According to sales, all of the inventory will move to Club Wyndham Plus and there will be nothing left for SVC members who don't upgrade to Club Wyndham Plus to book.

It's obviously their attempt to integrate Shell more completely into Wyndham.

First of all, if that were to happen I think it would take a long time. Second of all, I don't think they can take inventory and put it in it's own bucket.

Anyone else heard more about this?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you see that on the website? I couldn't find it on the public site or in the members only area...

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
SVC Member News - first item

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
It certainly is possible that they have added SVC as a full member of Club Wyndham Plus program, just as other Clubs - i.e .Club Wyndham Access, Club Wyndham Select, Presidential Reserve, and Margaritaville Vacation Club.

But I dont see how they could remove inventory from Shell Vacation Club and place in the Club Wyndham Plus program since SVC is a points based program. If they are going to open up SVC inventory to the rest of Club Wyndham Plus members at 10 months (like they do with the other separate ownership programs), it would seem they would have to allow SVC members to book the combined Club Wyndham Plus inventory at the 10 month mark also.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It certainly is possible that they have added SVC as a full member of Club Wyndham Plus program, just as other Clubs - i.e .Club Wyndham Access, Club Wyndham Select, Presidential Reserve, and Margaritaville Vacation Club.

But I dont see how they could remove inventory from Shell Vacation Club and place in the Club Wyndham Plus program since SVC is a points based program. If they are going to open up SVC inventory to the rest of Club Wyndham Plus members at 10 months (like they do with the other separate ownership programs), it would seem they would have to allow SVC members to book Club Wyndham Plus inventory at the 10 month mark also.

As long as the inventory in equals inventory out, you don't have to give everyone access. No particular reason they'd have to give every SVC member access to Club Wyndham Plus as long as they have enough SVC inventory to balance things out. They can get SVC inventory by giving a bunch of free enrollments to folks to go to sales presentations, taking trade ins, and by putting SVC points they got from ovation into one of the Wyndham programs (maybe CWA?).

As an example, only developer buyers can get club pass. No particular reason they couldn't do the same thing with SVC and Club Wyndham Plus.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Thanks for the link.

It sounds like a bleed-off strategy like they did with Pahio. Ability to "enroll" SVC points and deeds into Club Wyndham, taking the points/deeds that are assigned to Club Wyndham to carve out inventory that is then placed into Club Wyndham.

What will be interesting is how they handle Advanced Reservation Priority.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it's telling that it is described as an exchange network. I don't think that SVC's point structure (which like Worldmark is not tied to a specific underlying property) will allow them to remove inventory from general availability to SVC members.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham in the past has bought fixed weeks at various resorts, usually once they had the management contract and the right to control unsold inventory, into the Wyndham system by the process of Assignment and Assumption. Fixed weeks owners in the Wyndham system are familiar with this. The fixed week owners assign their usage rights to Wyndham in return for Wyndham points and entry into the Wyndham system. They retain the rights to reserve their units at the 13-11 month mark and give up that right completely at the 10 month mark when the units then become available to the general Wyndham populace. This is the basis of ARP which all Wyndham owners are familiar with.

This seems to be that, except, that they are basically doing this with parts of a complete system instead of individual resorts or much smaller groups. I really don't see that a points system would present much difficulty in implementing the concept and kind of wonder why they waited so long.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reason a points system of the type of SVC is different is as follows. A Wyndham week or an HGVC week is a deeded ownership with associated points that can be used for exchanging. If the underlying property is put into a new trust or similar then its use would follow the rules of that new trust. I believe this is how Wyndham CWA works.

Points systems like SVC and WM are structured differently. All the property is in a trust (or similar instrument) that is owned by all of the members. That trust has rules and regulations that cannot be just ignored. Yes, SVC members can essentially assign their points to Wyndham but Wyndham would have to compete w non Club Wyndham Plus SVC members to book inventory.

The crux of my point is that they (Wyndham) would still have to book SVC inventory following the SVC rules. Granted that with a lot of points and their management of the systems, they could likely book out good inventory very early.

The usage they get from fixed week owners would of course be different.

I see this as much more akin to the Club Pass program between Wyndham and WM which is also an exchange program. If they structure like Club Pass with SVC owners having first grabs up until 9 months then I don't see a problem other than sales lies to scare people that don't want to pay more for "enrollment".

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
JohnPaul,

Using an Assignment and Assumption process it is the usage is that assigned. Deeds are not transferred. This process is akin to the Club pass program in that owners have first dibs and then after a time period so do others.

usasail

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacations
Sorry saw this and hoping some could reply on my SVC thread as well, hope we don't screwed on points....ugh!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If it turned out to be a free enrollment, where you would get enough points to make the MF's make sense like $5/1,000 Wyndham points, I might be interested in doing it. But it's going to cost like $25K to do it, and if you own multiple certificates, it's going to be even more. I don't care if they say the enrollment is free. They are going to expect us to buy something else to convert to Wyndham. It's a sales ploy. And then they will charge us $99 per guest as well.

It's just not going to be free enrollment. That is misleading, and it's really lying.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here’s how I see it happening

She’ll owners assign their use rights to the fair share trust and are awarded a certain number of club wyndham points
Now the Club wyndham owners including the new club wyndham owners will be able to make reservations at all the club wyndham resorts and the shell resorts

Let’s assume 50% of the shell shell points are assigned to club wyndham. That would mean 50% of shell inventory will be available to club wyndham owners (including the former shell owners)

The remaining 50% of shell inventory will be available to remaining shell owners who still hold 50% of the shell points

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The big question is what does 50% of inventory mean? Does that mean SVC members and Club Wyndham both have access to all SVC unreserved inventory up to their 50% ownership or does it mean CW can grab all the "good inventory" as long as it doesn't exceed 50% and leave the leftovers to SVC owners that didn't convert. The second thing is the scare tactic that sales is already using if you don't convert to CW.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The big question is what does 50% of inventory mean? Does that mean SVC members and Club Wyndham both have access to all SVC unreserved inventory up to their 50% ownership or does it mean CW can grab all the "good inventory" as long as it doesn't exceed 50% and leave the leftovers to SVC owners that didn't convert. The second thing is the scare tactic that sales is already using if you don't convert to CW.
How much are they asking to convert? I would love another platinum account, but I am not willing to pay huge money for it.

Shell owners are a pretty small lot compared to Wyndham, WorldMark, Hilton, etc. When I say Shell points, people I meet say, "What is that?" Yep.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
How much are they asking to convert? I would love another platinum account, but I am not willing to pay huge money for it.

Shell owners are a pretty small lot compared to Wyndham, WorldMark, Hilton, etc. When I say Shell points, people I meet say, "What is that?" Yep.

That's a really interesting question. I'm temp VIPP permanent VIPG, and am trying to figure out the best way to obtain permanent VIPP. Wondering if it may be possible to pick up either resale SVC or even retail SVC and then have the "converted" CWP points count toward VIP status on the Wyndham side? Even if it's SVC retail, if it's cheaper to obtain the SVC retail points as opposed to direct CWP points retail, might be worth looking into? Just thinking out loud here.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell west
If it turned out to be a free enrollment, where you would get enough points to make the MF's make sense like $5/1,000 Wyndham points, I might be interested in doing it. But it's going to cost like $25K to do it, and if you own multiple certificates, it's going to be even more. I don't care if they say the enrollment is free. They are going to expect us to buy something else to convert to Wyndham. It's a sales ploy. And then they will charge us $99 per guest as well.

It's just not going to be free enrollment. That is misleading, and it's really lying.
We just converted our

That's a really interesting question. I'm temp VIPP permanent VIPG, and am trying to figure out the best way to obtain permanent VIPP. Wondering if it may be possible to pick up either resale SVC or even retail SVC and then have the "converted" CWP points count toward VIP status on the Wyndham side? Even if it's SVC retail, if it's cheaper to obtain the SVC retail points as opposed to direct CWP points retail, might be worth looking into? Just thinking out loud here.

its not free enrollment but they are waving it for now as the change just happened. They are bonusing owners as well. Also, they no longer sell shell points. You get a lot more when you convert than to keep shell. You get 220 resorts vs 24. We just converted in Napa.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just converted our

its not free enrollment but they are waving it for now as the change just happened. They are bonusing owners as well. Also, they no longer sell shell points. You get a lot more when you convert than to keep shell. You get 220 resorts vs 24. We just converted in Napa.

Marie - thanks for that insight. I know your fellow Shell owners would greatly appreciate any specifics you are willing to share.... i.e. how many Club Wyndham points did you receive for converting how many SVC points..... what bonus you received, etc. etc.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Any idea how long "waiving it for now" will last?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell west
Marie - thanks for that insight. I know your fellow Shell owners would greatly appreciate any specifics you are willing to share.... i.e. how many Club Wyndham points did you receive for converting how many SVC points..... what bonus you received, etc. etc.
The conversion is 40 to 1. So if you own 7k points you would multiply by 40. The enrollment is $2995. I think they might be done waving it. My sister is going in to convert hers so we’ll see. I purchased 120k bonus points and they bonused me 300k points. The change took place April 4th and they have a ton of discounts and bonuses they are giving with purchases while they kick off the new program. Other sites don’t offer the same incentives. I also own club Wyndham prior to shell so I know for a fact it’s a pretty hefty discount. Also, resale points from shell or Wyndham do NOT count towards VIP.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
The conversion is 40 to 1. So if you own 7k points you would multiply by 40. The enrollment is $2995. I think they might be done waving it. My sister is going in to convert hers so we’ll see. I purchased 120k bonus points and they bonused me 300k points. The change took place April 4th and they have a ton of discounts and bonuses they are giving with purchases while they kick off the new program. Other sites don’t offer the same incentives. I also own club Wyndham prior to shell so I know for a fact it’s a pretty hefty discount. Also, resale points from shell or Wyndham do NOT count towards VIP.

Thanks for this data. Really good info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Are all SVC sites/owners eligible for this conversion? I had heard only a subset of sites will actually be eligible. Wondering specifically about the site in NC state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks for posting that.

Did they require a purchase of Club Wyndham points to convert your SVC points? Is that why you purchased additional Club Wyndham points?