• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell Vacations migrating to Club Wyndham Plus

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
You could buy the smallest package they sell, 84k points, (which is only available to shell owners) convert your shell 40-1 and it counts towards VIP permanently. don’t quote me on this but I think I heard it was like 15k. At any normal Wyndham, as of right now they don’t offer a 84k package. I personally felt it was worth it because I would rather have access to 220 resorts versus 24. The Mexico and blue green properties are only affiliates. The Blue green relationship will dissolve late 2019 early 2020 and Mexico will fall off too. I feel like they are trying to faze shell out and eventually force everyone to go Wyndham. The shell properties will soon be part of club Wyndham access and shell owners will almost be forced to either convert or give up shell. That’s just my own conclusion based on the presentation and the way it’s going. I like Wyndham though. With shell I got 20% off for being signature, in Wyndham I get 50% off with an automatic upgrade to a larger unit if you opt in. Every reservation I’ve had with Wyndham, I’ve gotten an up grade. We can now turn our Wyndham points into Wyndham rewards or convert club Wyndham points straight to maintenance fee credits. It’s not the best conversion though. The plus partners actually work when you rent a car and airfare with points.

50% off with automatic upgrade to a larger unit sounds nice.

So you were able to upgrade to the Platinum VIP level by buying a 120k Wyndham points package using all those discounts. Converting like 20k Shell points?

Sweet.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
50% off with automatic upgrade to a larger unit sounds nice.

So you were able to upgrade to the Platinum VIP level by buying a 120k Wyndham points package using all those discounts. Converting like 20k Shell points?

Sweet.

NOTE it is an automatic request. It is NOT an automatic upgrade. They can't upgrade you IF No units are available. The auto upgrade does function, but it has been observed with hiccups. By that we see inventory available in a larger unit, and know Tuggers who have a smaller unit and have a request for a larger unit, it is sitting in inventory for at least a few days or more, then finally disappears. So we don't know if the auto upgrade worked or didn't work.

Instant upgrade is a lot easier to predict. That is AT TIME OF BOOKING you are offered and take an upgrade from a smaller unit to a larger unit. That is working fine, but it will not start working until about 1 hr after they calendar date has shifted ( should be Midnight ET, 2 months out, but sometime it won't offer any upgrades until 1 am 2 months out). If you are less than exactly 2 months out it works just fine, any time. At least that is my observation.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eighty-four thousands points won't get you much. You'll need more than that to enjoy an owership. Save yourself tens of thousands of dollars and buy Wyndham resell points. You can find them here on TUG and on eBay. Use that tens of thousands of dollars you'll save and buy yourself a nice new Harley and some firearms. That what I'd do. I'm just sayin'.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Y

You could buy the smallest package they sell, 84k points, (which is only available to shell owners) convert your shell 40-1 and it counts towards VIP permanently. don’t quote me on this but I think I heard it was like 15k. At any normal Wyndham, as of right now they don’t offer a 84k package. I personally felt it was worth it because I would rather have access to 220 resorts versus 24. The Mexico and blue green properties are only affiliates. The Blue green relationship will dissolve late 2019 early 2020 and Mexico will fall off too. I feel like they are trying to faze shell out and eventually force everyone to go Wyndham. The shell properties will soon be part of club Wyndham access and shell owners will almost be forced to either convert or give up shell. That’s just my own conclusion based on the presentation and the way it’s going. I like Wyndham though. With shell I got 20% off for being signature, in Wyndham I get 50% off with an automatic upgrade to a larger unit if you opt in. Every reservation I’ve had with Wyndham, I’ve gotten an up grade. We can now turn our Wyndham points into Wyndham rewards or convert club Wyndham points straight to maintenance fee credits. It’s not the best conversion though. The plus partners actually work when you rent a car and airfare with points.

The pricing and points contract availability is typical Wyndham sales weasel BS. You can buy 84k points anywhere, they just make it sound like you can't and they make it sound like you're getting a good deal with the 30% discount off of MSRP, which is currently $254/1000 points. A 30% discount would equate to $178/1000. Depending on whether this is a CWS or CWA contract that price may or may not be a good price. If it's CWA points contract, I paid net $134/1000 using telesales for a 105k/295k contract back in July 2018 ($145/1000 is my frozen price point until July 2019 - the $134/1000 net price was due to a contract rebate available at the time - and usually there are rebates available so be sure to ask for them if you are considering a developer points purchase!), so $178/1000 for any CWA contract is not a good price. If it's a deeded CWS contract, the answer will depend on the deeded location. Unfortunately I don't think telesales will be an option for a SVC conversion deal, since it appears you have to broker any deal at certain local resorts that are offering the contract conversions.

Last edited:

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I don’t know if it’s required to purchase because I went in there with the intentions to purchase. If you buy from shell it’s 30% less than a Wyndham and in about a month it will go to regular price. My friends daughter works for shell in Anaheim. The 30% discount is only available to shell owners. It’s not available if you only own Wyndham. If you plan to upgrade at some point in your life. Do it now before the 30% goes away. We saw the same thing at shell in Hawaii.

Interesting that “in about a month it will go to regular price“ since the conversion/purchase can be done at only a limited number of Shell resorts (in Hawaii, for instance, only on Kauai). If the offer is good only for this month, they’ll lose a lot of potential sales from owners who won’t be there yet. We just booked an August stay at Peacock Suites, and DH and I agreed that they’ll have to offer us a very nice incentive ($200 gift card, say) to get us into the “update.”

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that “in about a month it will go to regular price“ since the conversion/purchase can be done at only a limited number of Shell resorts (in Hawaii, for instance, only on Kauai). If the offer is good only for this month, they’ll lose a lot of potential sales from owners who won’t be there yet. We just booked an August stay at Peacock Suites, and DH and I agreed that they’ll have to offer us a very nice incentive ($200 gift card, say) to get us into the “update.”
Use the money you get in the gift card and buy Wyndham resell points. And tell them that as you walk out the door.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

My sense is this is more sales weasel BS with regard to the "in about a month it will go up..." mantra. They ALWAYS say if you don't buy now you will pay more later. This is sales 101 best practice. Don't fall for it. It's simply a way to create a sense of urgency for you to buy now as opposed to walking away and making an educated purchase decision.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Use the money you get in the gift card and buy Wyndham resell points. And tell them that as you walk out the door.

My sense is this is more sales weasel BS with regard to the "in about a month it will go up..." mantra. They ALWAYS say if you don't buy now you will pay more later. This is sales 101 best practice. Don't fall for it. It's simply a way to create a sense of urgency for you to buy now as opposed to walking away and making an educated purchase decision.

:p We don’t need and don’t even want any more TS than we have now! We’ll go to the “update” (sales weasle talk) only if we get a gift card large enough to finance a very nice dinner!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Wyndham is the worst at lying, misrepresenting, and I don't think anything Maria was told is fact. She didn't say how much she paid, even though she was asked.

I think this sales' presentation our next visit will be a real conversation about how we can get rid of what we have, not pay more for Wyndham ownership without any ViP benefits. We own 25,300 points in Shell.

However, have you seen the rate for exchanging into DVC Saratoga Springs via ongoing search through the Shell portal? 2,000 points for a one bedroom during September, so probably the same in January. That is a deal. I am hoping to get January, and SSR is just fine with me. I like it, it's easy to catch the buses from Paddock, where exchanges tend to get most. I need 3 units/ 2 consecutive weeks, for kids and grandkids and us. I would love to get that. It would be amazing to get it cheaply. Of course, I have tons of TPU's in my regular account. I rarely get a match for anything in that account. :(

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham is the worst at lying, misrepresenting, and I don't think anything Maria was told is fact. She didn't say how much she paid, even though she was asked.

I think this sales' presentation our next visit will be a real conversation about how we can get rid of what we have, not pay more for Wyndham ownership without any ViP benefits. We own 25,300 points in Shell.

However, have you seen the rate for exchanging into DVC Saratoga Springs via ongoing search through the Shell portal? 2,000 points for a one bedroom during September, so probably the same in January. That is a deal. I am hoping to get January, and SSR is just fine with me. I like it, it's easy to catch the buses from Paddock, where exchanges tend to get most. I need 3 units/ 2 consecutive weeks, for kids and grandkids and us. I would love to get that. It would be amazing to get it cheaply. Of course, I have tons of TPU's in my regular account. I rarely get a match for anything in that account. :(

Wow, 2000 points for a 1 BR at SSR? I’ve never looked at DVC through Shell but will think about it next time.

And re Maria, she says her niece works for Wyndham; I wonder if she does too, given the sense of urgency in her posts. At any rate, we’re not going to do anything except enjoy our vacation.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell west
Wow, 2000 points for a 1 BR at SSR? I’ve never looked at DVC through Shell but will think about it next time.

And re Maria, she says her niece works for Wyndham; I wonder if she does too, given the sense of urgency in her posts. At any rate, we’re not going to do anything except enjoy our vacation.

First of all, I said my friends daughter worked for shell in Anaheim. Not my niece. 2nd, I don’t work for Wyndham. I just happened to go in the other day and thought my information was useful to you guys. I could careless what you do. The way it seemed to me is eventually you would have to convert in because the shell properties are going to be in CWA and CW.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
They need to convert me for free, if they want all of Shell in Wyndham. If they start denying us the ability to book the way we always have, that is going to be a lawsuit against Wyndham. Blackmailing me into converting to Wyndham isn't going to work for me. It would be very expensive to convert these many contracts I have into a system that might require an $84K purchase for each. No thanks. And why should people pay, anyway? Someone already paid a great deal of money for what I own, and developer owners shouldn't have to pay again for yet ANOTHER program, when the one they have is satisfactory enough.

Deny me use, and you had better take this bunch of points off of my hands.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First of all, I said my friends daughter worked for shell in Anaheim. Not my niece. 2nd, I don’t work for Wyndham. I just happened to go in the other day and thought my information was useful to you guys. I could careless what you do. The way it seemed to me is eventually you would have to convert in because the shell properties are going to be in CWA and CW.

Sorry for the inaccuracies in my post.

If you still want to be useful to us, you could tell us

1) whether an additional purchase is required in order to convert, or could we simply convert our current Shell points and that would be all the Wyndham points we'd have and

2) what the price per point is for additional points, if we want to buy any.

We don't want or need to know the details of your personal deal, just what Wyndham is currently offering to Shell owners who are interested in converting.

And I agree with @rickandcindy23 - I don't believe that Wyndham can take away my rights to book in the Shell system, and if they want my Shell properties in their Wyndham system, they'll need to allow me to convert at no cost to me, neither conversion cost nor required additional points purchase. Maybe all the Shell properties will end up in CWA, but I think that will take quite a few years and changes of ownership of Shell properties.

Thanks!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So through the portal, Shell to RCI, I can book through both points and weeks. I am all about that.

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Wyndham Midtown 45
Will Wyndham members be able to reserve Shell rooms in the future? If so, anyone have ideas as to how soon?

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
No idea, but let's make some assumptions and guesses.

In one of the posts Wyndham was quoted as saying they were working on extending the Shell reservation period to 13 - 9 months.

We know that Shell conversions to Wyndham began early April 2019.

Assuming Wyndham had already completed the change to the 13 - 9 month period before they announced they were working on it, then Shell owners could have reservation rights for another 4 months beginning April.

It would seem those rights would expire April plus 4 mths. So, August, for beginning Wyndham access to Shell inventory would be my guess with addition inventory subsequently.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My sense is this is more sales weasel BS with regard to the "in about a month it will go up..." mantra.

They ALWAYS say if you don't buy now you will pay more later. .... Don't fall for it. It's simply a way to create a sense of urgency .....

I agree -
The scenario you describe duplicates what I have read on TUG - re. Diamonds Sales Pitches to Gold Key
owners after they bought the Virginia Beach based system a few years ago .

The same urgency was used on Silverleaf owners after HICV acquired
that system - per posts on TUG.

I could be wrong - but IMO / based on reading the TUG Wyndham Forum - CWA points can only ARP book up to the percentage of each resort property that is in CWA .

So : a hypothetical resort X in the Wyndham System has 10 units x 52 weeks = 520 math units and hypothetically they were all sold originally as fixed weeks to 520 individual owners .
1) 120 are still fixed weeks / never converted to points
2) 300 were converted to UDI points / with priority ARP for resort X .
3) 100 were turned in to Ovation and Wyndham put them into CWA (trust)and sold those points to new owners .**
4) Those new owners have CWA ARP at resort X .**

let’s assume all the CWA owners of resort X choose to use their points at resorts Y & Z**

IMO - CWA ARP reservations can only book 100 math unit / weeks because CWA only has that percentage ownership of resort X.

Shell owners would still be able to book the 300 math unit / weeks that remain in Shell Points .

5) If the remaining Shell inventory is gradually converted to CWA / the number of Shell owners trying to book Shell inventory is reduced by an equivalent amount .

< **My explanation is is a simplified version of how CWA is structured >
I think I gave the “big picture “ explanation correctly .

Last edited:

Vee Ts

Reaction score
Since the questions about buying more points keep going unanswered, and given that you have to attend a sales presentation to convert, I would conclude a purchase is required.

It's is totally frustrating when someone post something and then completely avoids valid questions. What are you hiding? Did you get a bad deal? Well, I attended the presentation myself and YES I do believe it's a bad deal. I went to the presentation at Inn at the Park in San Diego. Yes you do have to buy CW points to convert the rest of your Shell Points to CW. The Shell conversation is 1 to 40. The new CW points was a crazy amount. 84k points cost 17k and 126k post cost 25k. VIP starts at 400k CW points which gives you discounts points when booking. Then I called a friend who has CW. Without VIP, if you want to Bank points you need do it in the first three months of your Use Year plus a $39 fee (I think). I forgot to ask about Borrowing points. Anyone know if this is possible in CW and is there a fee? Also, the myclubwyndham.com site was SLOW. I wanted to see the point chart so I can try to compare what I can get with my point. It's not as easy as our Shell Owners site. You need to search for a Resort, make sure it's available on the dates you want, then click on Details, scroll down and find the link call "Point Chart". You need to do this for every resort to see the point chart. In Shell, we have a page for this with easy drop down to pick a resort.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Thanks for reporting back with the specifics.

If it is a good or bad deal, I think depends on how many Shell points that are eligible to convert to Cub Wyndham. Being able to buy into the VIP Gold or Platinum Club Wyndham level for $17k might make sense for some.

Club Wyndham has a limited ability to borrow points - you can borrow points from your next use year for reservations made within 90 days of check-in with no fee.

Vee Ts

Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back with the specifics.

If it is a good or bad deal, I think depends on how many Shell points that are eligible to convert to Cub Wyndham. Being able to buy into the VIP Gold or Platinum Club Wyndham level for $17k might make sense for some.

Club Wyndham has a limited ability to borrow points - you can borrow points from your next use year for reservations made within 90 days of check-in with no fee.

All Shell points can be converted to CWP (1 to 40). But I can get 100k CWP for less than $1,000 resell. Why would I want to spend $17,000 to get access to CW Resorts? If was able to convert without buying new points then I would probably do it.

As far as borrowing, it doesn't sound as good if I can only do it within 90 days of check-in. Is there also a fee to Borrow? For example, I was able to pull together over two years of point for a long vacation. I Banked unused points from my 2018 UY (Use Year), use all of my 2019 points, and borrow some of 2020 points. This is the beauty of maximizing points and not forfeit them. Also, you will never use every last point perfectly in one year. So basically, they are forcing you to pay the $39 Banking/Deposit fee or else you lose you points. Shell doesn't have this fee and you can bank up to the last 3 months of your UY, and borrow immediately from the next UY. I have never lost any points in owning Shell for 15 years.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Shell points can be converted to CWP (1 to 40). But I can get 100k CWP for less than $1,000 resell. Why would I want to spend $17,000 to get access to CW Resorts? If was able to convert without buying new points then I would probably do it.

As far as borrowing, it doesn't sound as good if I can only do it within 90 days of check-in. Is there also a fee to Borrow? For example, I was able to pull together over two years of point for a long vacation. I Banked unused points from my 2018 UY (Use Year), use all of my 2019 points, and borrow some of 2020 points. This is the beauty of maximizing points and not forfeit them. Also, you will never use every last point perfectly in one year. So basically, they are forcing you to pay the $39 Banking/Deposit fee or else you lose you points. Shell doesn't have this fee and you can bank up to the last 3 months of your UY, and borrow immediately from the next UY. I have never lost any points in owning Shell for 15 years.

There is no fee to borrow points in Club Wyndham.

VIP members get a 25-50% points discount on reservations made within 30-60 days. I make extensive use of this and unit upgrades. It cost me about that amount to buy in, and I have a good ROI.

Vee Ts

Reaction score
There is no fee to borrow points in Club Wyndham.

VIP members get a 25-50% points discount on reservations made within 30-60 days. I make extensive use of this and unit upgrades. It cost me about that amount to buy in, and I have a good ROI.
Half the time I make a reservation in 60 days of check-in. But the other half it's like 9 months out, usually for longer vacations. I can't risk (and I'm sure others are the same way) booking flights, car, asking for time off, etc only not have availability for accommodation.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Half the time I make a reservation in 60 days of check-in. But the other half it's like 9 months out, usually for longer vacations. I can't risk (and I'm sure others are the same way) booking flights, car, asking for time off, etc only not have availability for accommodation.

You be surprised how having that as an option changes how you travel. For the better.

For reservations I need to make 9-13 months out, I rely on exchanges. Primarily via Interval.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I wanted to see the point chart so I can try to compare what I can get with my point. It's not as easy as our Shell Owners site. You need to search for a Resort, make sure it's available on the dates you want, then click on Details, scroll down and find the link call "Point Chart". You need to do this for every resort to see the point chart.

The Wyndham website is not great, but there is an easier way. You don’t need to search your dates first - you can simply go to the resort page and scroll down to the points chart. But the easiest way to look at multiple resorts is to look at either a print or PDF/online version of the full directory. Simply open the electronic document, do a quick ctrl-F on the resort name, and see its points chart.