TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Sheraton Kauai Review and Pics

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by Ken555, Jun 8, 2019.

1. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Me neither, I like hot water as well - but the water is scalding hot (and safety hazard for those caught unaware) - no way that water temp is suppose to be that high.

They are dangerously slippery - luckily our remodel Designer brought this to my attention as I wanted to do the same. They supply a mat - but a safety issue for those caught unaware.

btw - these safety issues were noted (kindly) in my survey from them.

2. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Sorry to learn that you also had noise issues. Since you had a 1bed unit, I’m assuming you had a connecting door to the studio and the noise was from that unit, correct? Apparently there are several studio units without a connecting door, but I’m unsure if the same is true with a 1bed. Sadly, the connecting door is too thin and there’s a gap at bottom so any noise just passes through. It’s a design failure...I don’t know any other way to look at it, and they could fix if they wanted. But, like Nanea’s shuttle beeping due to lack of foresight in allowing space to turn around I highly doubt the management will do anything, ever. I’d like to be proved wrong. This noise issue is another where actions speak louder than words, and I’m not at all interested in any statement from management other than “it’s fixed.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    The noise was not from the studio LO - I am not sure there was anyone in the studio next to us.

The noise was thru our bedroom wall from the 2Bd unit - from what I assume was their bedroom. I tapped on the walls the next day, and they sounded hollow. They really should put sound dampening insulation when they converted the units.

It was easy to hear any sound coming from the the 2Bd unit. Robin could hear the child whimpering - which kept her awake (mother instinct).

We made up the sofa bed for the next night in case we needed it. At 4am - we did when the crying began.

I met a couple of other people who also said they could hear their neighbors thru the walls. I made this problem known in my feedback - and also the scalding hot water and slipper tiles on shower floors as these are safety issues.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    Someone please remind me: is Sheraton Kauai being marketed through Sheraton Flex (and if not, how)?

Because if it is, based on Ken's and David's reviews, it will disappoint those who buy Sheraton Flex with the expectation of using it for the wonderful, relaxing Hawaii trips described in the brochure.

And based on Robert's (controller1) comments about reserving Sheraton Riverfront (see https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/westin-flex-purchase-questions-help.296135/page-2 (post #31)), the lack of Sheraton Flex inventory there will also leave purchasers unhappy.

5. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    Sheraton Kauai is not currently in the Sheraton Flex program.

6. jabberwocky

jabberwocky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR, SDO (EOYE), WKORV-N (EOYO), Westin Flex (EOYO)
    There is no Sheraton Riverfront. It is a Westin and it is in Westin Flex (which is different from Sheraton Flex). It might be good to learn about the systems and what is in them before mindlessly bashing them.

7. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX

And for the record, this was my comment:

vacationtime1 likes this.
  8. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    Obviously I have conflated the two programs creating some confusion. However, the two programs are more similar than different -- each is a repackaging of generally less desirable VOI's at existing properties (each has a disproportionate number of mud weeks, summer desert weeks, and island views on Hawaii). But I have no horse in this race; I'm not buying either.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  9. mindy35

mindy35 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We decided to add a 4 night stay here to check it out prior to our week in Princeville. Granted, we booked it only 3 months ahead so we did not really expect to get a high priority room but what we did get was a bit ridiculous. On the ride up north, I was playing with the headline for what I would write here in this board.

“Sheraton Poipu is NOT of Westin SVO caliber by a long shot!” Was my most recent idea but when I saw this thread I stopped attempting to be inventive and thought I should just get to the meat of the matter.

We’ve all been waiting for additions to the Villa portfolio for so long and I think Westin owners will be sorely disappointed! I can’t imagine why ANYONE would buy here and have it be their home resort.

First, yes, the villa buildings are across the (small) street from the beach front resort. There are no ocean front and I doubt any ocean view units. Honestly, that did not bother me much as the access through the hotel was short and easy. Only one building is currently occupied as the others are still under construction but they say the others will open soon. We did not hear any construction except for from the street repair. We visited at what must have been a very slow time of the season (end of sept-early oct) as it looked like the villas were only 60% occupied. Parking lots were empty and even the local restaurants were observing how slow it was.

We arrived 2 pm and were told the usual line - “checkin time is at 4 and we will call your cell when your room is ready”. Seriously......I hate that! It was a Wednesday and more than half of the rooms were empty and dark during our entire stay. And the bummer was that they forgot to call.....I finally called at 5:30....was put on hold for 10 minutes and then told “oh yes....come on over and get your key whenever you like”. I am confident the room was ready at 2:15 if not before!!!! What a waste of time.

First, I will say ditto to Ken555. He laid it out very well. Thanks for your review Ken.

We were assigned the 7_02 room. As I now see from the chart posted above, it is one of the smaller 1 bedroom units but I did not know that when we arrived or I would have complained. I thought they were ALL that ridiculously small and poorly laid out:

-You walk in the front door and the bathroom sinks are literally IN the kitchen!!
    -There is no dining table (either in the unit or on the Lanai)....just 2 counter stools under a counter under the TV.

(Photos attached below but I regret not taking a shot of the bedroom portion of this particular villa )

-when you sit on the couch and look to the left.....you are looking directly into the WC/shower which is adjacent to the front door.....only separated by a small carved wooden divider
    -the King sized bed in the attached “bedroom” basically takes up the WHOLE room! Not even room for nightstands that could hold a lamp. The large TV is mounted to the wall. There is a TINY wardrobe that has enough room for 4 hangers. No closet or dresser with drawers. There was absolutely no place to unpack a suitcase or even set the suitcase so you could live out of it. We had to choose between using the kitchen counter and the stools designed for eating or relinquish the sofa for our entire stay.
    -everything was new and clean and esthetically pleasing but of poor quality. Even compared to what is stocked in the Westin units.
    -WiFi in the units and around the property is intermittent and unpredictable. We were unable to sign onto a sensitive work computer that requires a secure connection and our Apple devices were very confused.
    -no jacuzzi on the villa side

We were not sad to depart and arrive for our highly anticipated week at Westin Princeville! We love it here! And......low and behold......we were surprised to find that our room was available when we checked in at 1pm!!!

We, of course, refused the Owners update at the Sheraton as we would NEVER consider adding this property to our “current portfolio”. What a shame, since Poipu would be a nice addition to the Kaua’i offerings. I guess we will have to check out the Marriott or Hyatt options in the area. 7FDD08C3-5FBB-4A40-9DCF-0189FF27721C.jpeg 59EDD81A-1191-4B99-8174-804E900C8325.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    ragdoll and controller1 like this.
  10. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    Great review - that place is a MESS.

11. Ken555

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    FWIW, you had the standard 1-bed. There is no larger or smaller 1-bed at this resort. The larger units on the floor map are 2-bed units.

Sorry to hear that you had a poor stay. Sadly, I’m not at all surprised by your review.

12. mindy35

mindy35 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

But I do see your photos that include dressers in the bedrooms and (albeit small) dining tables in the living room? Ours could not fit even those items. And our room was much more narrow than your photos. The square footage was more like a studio than a 1 bedroom. We are in a studio here in Princeville now that is much more spacious.

We do like the south shore and enjoyed the beach at the hotel while we were there so I will say we made the best of our stay. Life’s to short not to count our blessings that we were still in HI

We were more disappointed of what is being presented as a new Vistana offering that we will not be considering in the future and wanted to let others know lest they will be equally disappointed.

13. Ken555

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    I posted pics from the studio and the 2-bed. I did not see a 1-bed unit. I believe someone also posted a pic from Vistana of the 1-bed which matches your description.

The studio is much smaller than the 1-bed you had. Crazy, eh?

14. jjking42

jjking42 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Westin Kierland, Wyndham Flagstaff
    Every time I read this thread I want to consider changing a reservation to princeville. I Booked my 24 yo son and his girlfriend a one bedroom for three night during spring break. I just feel like the weather would be better in march on the south shore and I like the beach there. Considering he is 24 and is staying for free I figure he wont be as disappointed as us more experienced travelers.

Is this resort so bad that I should move them to the north shore and risk the rain?

15. ragdoll

ragdoll TUG Member

I wouldn't change the reservation to Princeville. For the reasons you stated (the south shore, 24-year-old, free accommodations) the Sheraton will be fine. You are correct about the weather in Princeville: it can be very dicey in March (rain, wind), they have no beach to walk to, and it is rather isolated compared to Poipu. However, for the reasons you stated (above), one could also make the argument for Princeville. It's a nice resort. It was purpose-built as a timeshare, rooms are lovely, which makes it far nicer than the Sheraton.

vacationtime1 likes this.
  16. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I am sure he and his girlfriend will be delighted. We stayed at Hyatt Regency Kaanapali when we were 24 YO in a bottom floor parking lot view room. I believe we could see the trash bin from the room. We were over the moon to be in Hawaii and spent our time at the pool and beach.

pharmacistking and controller1 like this.
  17. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    I agree - they will likely love Sheraton Kauai - we are biased because we have comparisons to other timeshares.

We rented one if those beachside 2-person cabanas ($75/day) in front of Main pool - totally worth it for people watching (surfers, and tourists getting wiped out by wave action).

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    CalGalTraveler and jjking42 like this.
  18. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

$75 for a cabana is a great price. They go for $400/day for a 4 person at the Grand Wailea on Maui and $150 at WKORV.