• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Poipu Conversion Update

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We stopped by the Sheraton Poipu the other day during our stay on Kauai. I wasn't able to get much information about the conversion, but they were promoting Nanea.

They weren't sure of the timing but did indicate that they thought the buildings on the back side of the property (across the road and away from the ocean) would be converted. They didn't mention the ocean front units at all.

We really liked the beach in front of the resort. The pool fronts the water as well. We didn't bother trying to see a room, since they will be remodeled any way.

This will be a nice alternative for owners who prefer the island, but want something other than Princeville. It will be interesting to see when and how they complete the conversion.

The property is very close to the Marriott Waiohai, with only one other property in between.

Mike

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
*You can edit your title by clicking EDIT > ADVANCED EDIT.

Previously, they said that the TS conversion would only be the Garden View building.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We stopped by the Sheraton Poipu the other day during our stay on Kauai. I wasn't able to get much information about the conversion, but they were promoting Nanea.

They weren't sure of the timing but did indicate that they thought the buildings on the back side of the property (across the road and away from the ocean) would be converted. They didn't mention the ocean front units at all.

We really liked the beach in front of the resort. The pool fronts the water as well. We didn't bother trying to see a room, since they will be remodeled any way.

This will be a nice alternative for owners who prefer the island, but want something other than Princeville. It will be interesting to see when and how they complete the conversion.

The property is very close to the Marriott Waiohai, with only one other property in between.

Mike

This project has never made sense to me:

• Converted hotel rooms (a la Marriott's Kauai Beach Club and Maui Ocean Club -- without proper kitchens)?
  • Back of the building, non-ocean front location, requiring guests to walk across a street and through the hotel lobby to get to the beach? I had previously assumed new construction, probably where the tennis courts are now located.
  • Sheraton branded?
  • FlexOptions or HomeOptions (i.e. voluntary)?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I'll start by the usual disclaimer that this came from VSE sales. You know what that means. Don't shoot the messenger! :hysterical:

We recently did an owners update at WKV and they stated that Poipu was slated to come online by the end of 2017 but is definitely in the works. They also stated that Weston Cabo is also slated to come online in 2017 as it is being repaired from the hurricane.

All this, with none of those resorts in pre-sale.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for tip on correcting the title. iPad auto spelling

Robert, I agree with you. I like the idea of adding the location, but why not include at least some of the ocean front buildings? Perhaps more money to be made by current operations there.

I spoke with two representatives, both of whom were in the lobby rather than actual sales people. One mentioned the buildings on the other side of the road and the other mentioned he had heard something about new buildings in the back of the property. Perhaps the tennis court area as someone here mentioned. All is conjecture at this point. They did indicate that they have had quite a few owners who were staying at Princeville visit to see the property and ask questions. Clearly some interest, but I think that will depend on how they convert the units.

Mike

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Purting all the units across the road will make it much harder to sell, as it gives buyers an objection the sales staff may not be able to overcome.

IILG/Vistana is a timeshare organization. I would expect everything they can feasibly convert will get converted. And they'll want some units on the beach side of the road, so they can use one as a model and then just not mention you may end up across the street.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I think it will be like St. John. Eventually it will all get converted into TS. It will be easier to do across the street first as not to disrupt the hotel with the construction.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Purting all the units across the road will make it much harder to sell, as it gives buyers an objection the sales staff may not be able to overcome.

IILG/Vistana is a timeshare organization. I would expect everything they can feasibly convert will get converted. And they'll want some units on the beach side of the road, so they can use one as a model and then just not mention you may end up across the street.

IF they brand it as a Sheraton, they can package it up in the Flex Trust and not have to sell specific units. They can load a lot of points in to the Flex trust and sell away. It doesn't matter where the actual units are located since you aren't buying a specific unit.

Does Vistana still sell Sheraton weeks, or are they selling everything now from the flex trust?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
IF they brand it as a Sheraton, they can package it up in the Flex Trust and not have to sell specific units. They can load a lot of points in to the Flex trust and sell away. It doesn't matter where the actual units are located since you aren't buying a specific unit.

Does Vistana still sell Sheraton weeks, or are they selling everything now from the flex trust?

I agree they will probably make it Sheraton Flex, since that will allow them to effectively sell Florida units in Hawaii.

But I think that actually makes it more likely they put oceanfront/ocean side of the street units in. While nobody will actually be buying those units, someone who tours a gorgeous ocean front suite is way more likely to buy than someone who has to schlep across the street from the hotel to see the actual timeshare units. Then, they can build a high volume, sheraton flex sales machine, which they can run for decades by taking back vistana deeds/building new phases in Orlando...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it confirmed that these units will be part of Flex? I have heard from sales people in the past, but this is dated, that Hawaii units will not join Flex...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Is it confirmed that these units will be part of Flex? I have heard from sales people in the past, but this is dated, that Hawaii units will not join Flex...

Don't even know if it will keep the Sheraton name. Nothing is really confirmed until we see an official announcement from Vistana, which I don't think we have. It would make sense to dump it in to Flex. Then, like bizaro86 indicates, they can sell Florida property in Hawaii. There are still a lot of planned but un-built units at Vistana Villages. They could also then tout the ability to book Hawaii in all of those Flex sales presentations. It would make selling Flex a lot easier. Sell everyone on the ability to book Hawaii when only a small percentage of the flex trust is in Hawaii.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
They could keep it separate like St. John & Nanea. But I don't see them rebranding it from a Sheraton. It's going to take years to convert and they will want to keep running the hotel while the conversion is taking place.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
I think it will be like St. John. Eventually it will all get converted into TS. It will be easier to do across the street first as not to disrupt the hotel with the construction.

When we were there in Feb we stopped by to check out facility and were told there would be no beachfront because Sheraton doesn't own the beachfront property they rent from the Anderson family I think was what she said.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
When we were there in Feb we stopped by to check out facility and were told there would be no beachfront because Sheraton doesn't own the beachfront property they rent from the Anderson family I think was what she said.

That would be an interesting concept of the whole complex wasn't originally owned by Starwood (and transferred to Vistana) but only the building across the street. That would mean the ocean building is Independently owned and will not be converted by Vistana to TS. Explains a lot if that is true. All someone needs to do is check out the plaques at the front desk. It often says owned by & managed by.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Per article from 2015:

"Currently, the proposed plan includes keeping the ocean wing as a hotel, while converting the garden wing and undeveloped land adjacent to the property to Starwood Vacation Ownership product,"

This could be the tennis courts and little parking lot to the north of the tennis courts. Those units would have an attractive ocean view, but wouldn't be beach front.

Best,

Greg

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Curious if there is any updates on the Sheraton Poipu conversion. We are considering going to Kauai in Oct 2018 and are looking for a place in Poipu.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Curious if there is any updates on the Sheraton Poipu conversion. We are considering going to Kauai in Oct 2018 and are looking for a place in Poipu.
According to this from the ILG investor day, they plan to have occupancy of 48 units in 2018, though no exact dates provided.

index.php

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There are going to be 288 units at Westin Nanea? Wow!

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, great to see actual amounts of planned units.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There are going to be 288 units at Westin Nanea? Wow!
It will actually be 390. The numbers are not cumulative, but rather the number of units that they will get occupancy of in that year.

Lanswitch

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South
The Gardens at West Maui
My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Poipu in March of this year. We have stayed there at least twice in the past and once at the Marriott Waiohai also as guests of some friends. We actually gifted a week there for our daughter and son in law for their honeymoon.
Our most recent stay in March was for two days in the rear buildings across the street since we booked using points.
We flew in two days early for our Westin Princeville week since we were able to get free flights for less miles on American if we flew early. (Hmmm, not a tough decision. We got to spend two more days in Hawaii and fly round trip for less miles than if we departed two days later.)
Anyhow, it was really very nice there. Since it is a hotel, there was daily maid service too. We were in the rearmost building facing North. About as far from the beach as you can get. Be that as it may, the walk to the beach (which is spectacular and we got to see a Monk Seal haul onto the beach there once) was less than 5 minutes and took us past some small ponds teeming with cichlids and lily ponds, across a small bridge if we chose to, and a plaque describing a sacred burial.
Another advantage of being in the rear portion of the property is that it is only a 10 minute walk to the Poipu Shopping Village where I picked up some Puka Dogs to bring back for lunch.
I realize that most everyone wants an ocean front or an ocean view and might dismiss my thoughts. Maybe I was accepting of the location because I knew that in two days we'd be at the Westin Princeville for a week with an oceanfront location followed by another week at our home timeshare, the WKORV South.
Life is good, especially in Hawaii.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
I'm beginning to plan for our 2019 trip to the Islands. I am hoping the Sheraton Kauai is open for StarOption reservations by then. Any news or an update on when we might see this resort in the Dashboard? Or what the SO cost will be? I presume it will be open for trades from the beginning, while they sucker in, err ... I mean, get some buyers.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We were on the island in December and stopped by. No news regarding when they would start the conversion. Since they have plenty of inventory at Nanea on Maui, I wouldn’t expect to see them start theconversion any time soon. Hopefully, that’s not the case, but I would plan accordingly.

Best regards.

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My feeling is that if I am going to stay somewhere with no ocean view, I can stay somewhere else for a lot less $$$.