• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shocking Unprofessional Treatment of Family by Phoenix Cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
This was on the news this morning.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/06/shoc...holding-black-family-at-gunpoint-over-1-doll/

Absolutely over-the-top, abusive, power trip by Phoenix police. I feel like sending them the video of a Toronto Police Service officer last year as a suggested training video on how to de-escalate a situation involving a mass murderer that was far more serious than a "stolen" doll. Unbelievably unprofessional actions for the police service in such a large city. Who trains these guys??? Guess we won't be returning to Phoenix anytime soon.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/23/toronto-police-van-driver-arrest_a_23418542/

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was on the news this morning.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/06/shoc...holding-black-family-at-gunpoint-over-1-doll/

Absolutely over-the-top, abusive, power trip by Phoenix police. I feel like sending them the video of a Toronto Police Service officer last year as a suggested training video on how to de-escalate a situation involving a mass murderer that was far more serious than a "stolen" doll. Unbelievably unprofessional actions for the police service in such a large city. Who trains these guys??? Guess we won't be returning to Phoenix anytime soon.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/23/toronto-police-van-driver-arrest_a_23418542/

Just a word of advice however, this may not be the best forum to bring this up for discussion. ;)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely unprofessional. Some time off for retraining is warranted.

The above said, and I stand by it, but whenever a similar video is broadcast, two questions come into my mind: First, what preceded the happenings that were recorded that prompted an onlooker to get out a phone/camera and start recording the event? And two: just a personal thought on behalf of today's law enforcement personnel: I'd sure hate to be a cop today in the new era of 'concealed carry' where virtually ANY encounter can be with an armed person. Any person, from a gray haired grandmother to a tattooed biker type can be packing iron. That couldn't help but temper a reasonable authority to exercise caution and maybe some would prefer to be the aggressor rather than afford that to the citizen.

Jim

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, having retired from law enforcement after many years, I'm not going to defend or condemn these officers based solely on what any news organization may post or print. If I've learned anything, it's that there can be so much more to any action than what's being reported. I prefer to know and understand as much as possible as to why any action took place. Everybody has a right to be defended and to have that accusation discussed point by point.

Just so you know, even though this topic and any discussion of it may become contentious, I won't ask for it to be shut it down. Perhaps this and any government discussions need to be addressed. :ponder:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
First and foremost, having retired from law enforcement after many years, I'm not going to defend or condemn these officers based solely on what any news organization may post or print. If I've learned anything, it's that there can be so much more to any action than what's being reported. I prefer to know and understand as much as possible as to why any action took place. Everybody has a right to be defended and to have that accusation discussed point by point.

Just so you know, even though this topic and any discussion of it may become contentious, I won't ask for it to be shut it down. Perhaps this and any government discussions need to be addressed. :ponder:

Really??? I'm very disappointed. You won't ask for it to be shut down? On what basis? This is not a political discussion. As a Canadian who has often travelled to Phoenix, I absolutely believe that this is as travel related as the posts on the Mexican forum about law enforcement issues there, as pointed out by bizaro86. If I am pulled over by a police officer, for whatever reason short of being suspected of armed robbery, I expect to be treated in a professional manner.

If you read the full background story, the little girl picked up a Barbie doll and apparently left the store with it. It was apparently called into the police by a third party, not the store. Even after the fact the store was not concerned. So yes there was a reason, albeit very minor, for the police to have pulled up to question the family. And yes, there are always two sides to every story. There are also several other videos on line that cover the incident from other vantage points.

What I do find disturbing is that you seem to take no issue with the absolutely foul language used by the officers and the violent manner in which they manhandled the father and the pregnant mother. That was my main point. They actually escalated, rather than de-escalated the situation. While officers must certainly be cautious for their safety, under the law in both our countries someone is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I normally have great respect for the police, having been raised as the son of an air force officer and who considered joining the RCMP. I also have many friends here who are members of the Toronto Police Service, the Ontario Provincial Police and the RCMP. I am very certain they would condemn the unprofessional manner in which these officers conducted themselves, particularly the abusive language. Absolutely no excuse for that at all, IMO.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We all take a risk traveling to the USA. Police can be just as dangerous as the criminals.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really??? I'm very disappointed. You won't ask for it to be shut down? On what basis? This is not a political discussion. As a Canadian who has often travelled to Phoenix, I absolutely believe that this is as travel related as the posts on the Mexican forum about law enforcement issues there, as pointed out by bizaro86. If I am pulled over by a police officer, for whatever reason short of being suspected of armed robbery, I expect to be treated in a professional manner.

If you read the full background story, the little girl picked up a Barbie doll and apparently left the store with it. It was apparently called into the police by a third party, not the store. Even after the fact the store was not concerned. So yes there was a reason, albeit very minor, for the police to have pulled up to question the family. And yes, there are always two sides to every story. There are also several other videos on line that cover the incident from other vantage points.

What I do find disturbing is that you seem to take no issue with the absolutely foul language used by the officers and the violent manner in which they manhandled the father and the pregnant mother. That was my main point. They actually escalated, rather than de-escalated the situation. While officers must certainly be cautious for their safety, under the law in both our countries someone is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I normally have great respect for the police, having been raised as the son of an air force officer and who considered joining the RCMP. I also have many friends here who are members of the Toronto Police Service, the Ontario Provincial Police and the RCMP. I am very certain they would condemn the unprofessional manner in which these officers conducted themselves, particularly the abusive language. Absolutely no excuse for that at all, IMO.

"Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues"

Anyway...

Understand that the standards for what constitutes brutality vary widely.

What is considered “Excess" lies in the eyes of the beholder. What may be defined as objectively reasonable in one city, state or country may not be in another.

If we consider two Supreme Court decisions, one being "Tennessee v. Garner" and the other being "Graham v. Connor" the court decided the framework for determining when and what force may be needed and what force may be considered reasonable. Granted, these cases addressed "deadly" force but, have been noted in other cases when non-deadly force was used.

Unlawful Flight from Pursuing Law Enforcement Vehicle can be classified as a felony offense in Arizona. Unaware or at least not noted in the report is if the officers had reason to believe that theft involved violence of any kind, either before or during. Not knowing if it did or didn't they must consider, for their own safety that it did, and if the individuals refused to stop for the officers, this can be considered a felony. The key to both the legal standards, defense of life and fleeing a violent felony, is that it doesn’t matter whether there is an actual threat when force is used. Instead, what matters is the officer’s “objectively reasonable” belief that there is a threat.

Is this the case with this? I have no idea because, I was not there before the filming or during the theft.

The courts have ruled that the job of a police officer is to protect people from violence, and if you’ve got a violent person who’s fleeing, you can shoot them to stop their flight. I'm glad for all involved however, the the officers didn't decide to shoot them and let the courts decide if it was justified.

Even though it might sound harsh and impolitic, here is the bottom line. If you don’t want to get shot, tased, struck with a nightstick or placed on the ground please, just do what the officer tells you to do. That is not place to argue with them or call them names and don’t complain that they can’t stop you or threaten that you’ll sue them. Everything can be handled in just a few minutes.

How difficult is it to cooperate for that long?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Status
Not open for further replies.