• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shore Excursions During 4-Night Carnival Cruise ?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We too have begun flying overseas business class. Makes a huge difference. It's time to book our flights for next summer to England and I'm wondering if you, or anyone reading, book your flights through the cruise line. If not, when do you start looking and where?

Flights by Celebrity, as it is now called, has really good rates for European <-> US flights. Their one-way flight price cannot be beaten, i.e. if you do a one way TA cruise and need to book flight on the other way. If you buy one-way ticket directly from the airline, it is way more expensive than 2-way tickets.

We try to use miles to book as much as we can. We obtain converted miles through credit cards like Chase Sapphire Reserve and SPG Amex (our 2 favorite cards). With SPG Amex, we use SPG points to convert to Marriott to get the 5-night travel packages. When we do not have enough airline miles, we will buy through Celebrity. I do not like Oceania's flight arrangement as they use group/discounted airfare and they won't book it until it is 3 months before the cruise. If the passenger wants to change, they need to pay an air deviation fee. We are taking an air credit of $500 off the Olife fare per person so that we can arrange for our own passage. Oceania's Olife rate includes economy seats, with an additional $149 for each leg to bump to Economy Plus/Premium Economy.

This how we have done it for next year's 2 trips.
April/May 2018 US <-> Rome trip:
- One-way to Rome, about $1,700+ pp on DeltaOne throught Celebrity (Score!). If booked from Delta directly, it is close to $6000. We do not have enough points/miles to use mileage to book this leg.
- Return from Rome, we used Delta skymiles for our DeltaOne flights. We got this with a combination of Delta cc promotion and SPG points conversion. We picked the day with the lowest Delta points requirement to return, which was the day after the cruise ship returns to Rome, at 70K per person (Score!).

Dec 2018 US <-> Singapore and Hong Kong
- Each leg per person on United Polaris is 180K, we are going to use a total of 720K (Groan...) for this trip for 2 of us. The dates are not yet available for booking yet. We will check Flights by Celebrity and United direct booking costs before using United miles. At this point it appears that United miles is what we will do. With United upgrading their Polaris program, their prices have also gone up significantly.

Most airlines release seats about 11 months before the flights. If you are using award miles like me, 11 months is the cheapest, i.e. point requirement as they are capacity controlled. For pricing, it varies with the airline and route as to when you get the best price. From my limited experience, it appears that for international flights, it seems that the further out you book the cheaper it is as well. It is definitely not the case in booking domestic US flights.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We took a Carnival Cruise a long time ago when we were in our twenties and it was really nice. (*Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman). We had a lot of fun.

But we decided after that that we really enjoyed being off the boat rather than on it- because we like sightseeing- and we haven't cruised again since. I also do not like crowds and I also felt "confined" on a ship- though I am sure that might not make sense to most people.
I think most cruises are fun. But "crowds" has alot to do with the cruise lines and ships. The more luxurious, the fewer people there are per sq footage space. It had always felt more like we were in a nice hotel with lots of nice restaurants rather than feeling that we were in a crowded space.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I also felt "confined" on a ship- though I am sure that might not make sense to most people.
Makes perfect sense.

In fact, that's how come our initial ocean cruise is just a 4-nighter -- so that if we're feeling too confined we'll know it's just for a few days.

A big factor in picking that cruise was its departure date (Jan. 7) & port (Port Canaveral FL), which both work out great for our 2 Kissimmee FL timeshare weeks that we booked some months back. All we have to do now is decide whether to fly to MCO & back, or instead to drive our own car for "snooze & cruise" before cooking around Orlando-Kissimmee.

Thanks for all the insights & opinions offered so far. For now, we're leaning toward skipping any shore events in Nassau & still mulling over possibilities for Princess Cays.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
I've also been on cruises (Carnival and Royal Caribbean) but now I like to travel directly to the places and not bother being on a ship. I would also recommend cruisecritc, I got some recommendations for a day "cruise" last year for the Alaska Prince William sound glaciers from cruisecritic boards.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We were like you Alan, took our first cruise on a two night Cape Canaveral Cruise line ship.DH got seasick, while I enjoyed the midnight Mexican buffet. The Cape Canaveral Cruise line is gone.
We went on a cruise Royal Caribbean to Freeport went to Pirate Museum and Coco Key had a BarbQ Lunch 8 years ago.Was a 5 day cruise. Both of these were from Port Canaveral.
3 years ago we took a 5 day cruise from Tampa to Key West and Cozumel. We went to Key West sightseeing bus and Truman Little White House.we stayed on board in Cozumel. Also on Royal Caribbean.
Last April, we took a 7 day cruise from Bayonne, NJ to Bermuda and Boston. This one was the best cruise so far. We went to Bonfire on the Beach and played mini golf. in Boston we visited the waterfront and met my sister for lunch. We are planning to take the River Cruise with TUG members next October. We like to cruise and love our timeshares too. BTW DH doesn’t get sea sick anymore.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alan, please ask for a Florida discount if you lived in the state of Florida, or a senior citizen discount if you are over the age of 65 or a military discount if you are retired military.

Seasick pills are free at the med office on most ships or you can purchase some at any pharmacy prior to sailing.

Finally, just enjoy your cruise.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I've also been on cruises (Carnival and Royal Caribbean) but now I like to travel directly to the places and not bother being on a ship. I would also recommend cruisecritc, I got some recommendations for a day "cruise" last year for the Alaska Prince William sound glaciers from cruisecritic boards.

My brother just booked an expensive excursion to Alaska with a company call Uncruise.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm wondering if you... book your flights through the cruise line. If not, when do you start looking and where?

I prefer booking my own flights with the airlines.
I've used Chase's Ultimate Rewards for their reward-points.
If the port is more than a few hours' drive, I fly in the day before.

They say that the sweet-spot for booking is 50-90 days out.
But I won't wait until then. I've already booked flights for May.
I'm looking now for a trip to Europe in August.

To select flights: I use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ They don't sell tickets.
It'll search multiple airports, show a month at a time or a few days before+after.
I'll check it against Google Flights or Expedia (to look for low-price code-shares).
To book the flights, I go to the airlines' website.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
A big factor in picking that cruise was its departure date (Jan. 7) & port (Port Canaveral FL), which both work out great for our 2 Kissimmee FL timeshare weeks that we booked some months back. All we have to do now is decide whether to fly to MCO & back, or instead to drive our own car for "snooze & cruise" before cooking around Orlando-Kissimmee.

Thanks for all the insights & opinions offered so far. For now, we're leaning toward skipping any shore events in Nassau & still mulling over possibilities for Princess Cays.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Those are the main reasons I booked the Spring Break Carnival Cruise. It sails and returns on our exact dates and from a drivable port, Cape Canaveral. I only looked at cruises from Tampa and Cape Canaveral. I don't want to drive to Ft Lauderdale or Miami in one day from SC. Charleston and Jacksonville cruises are mainly shorter trips to the Bahamas which we've done a couple of times. There was a cruise line from Cape Canaveral that I prefer but it was a repeat itinerary for all of us. Those plus the 16 year old who wants to go on a "young" ship and it's Carnival this time.

Having been there twice, I'd just enjoy a day on board in Nassau too. But the private islands are usually very nice.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Flights by Celebrity, as it is now called, has really good rates for European <-> US flights. Their one-way flight price cannot be beaten, i.e. if you do a one way TA cruise and need to book flight on the other way. If you buy one-way ticket directly from the airline, it is way more expensive than 2-way tickets.

We try to use miles to book as much as we can. We obtain converted miles through credit cards like Chase Sapphire Reserve and SPG Amex (our 2 favorite cards). With SPG Amex, we use SPG points to convert to Marriott to get the 5-night travel packages. When we do not have enough airline miles, we will buy through Celebrity. I do not like Oceania's flight arrangement as they use group/discounted airfare and they won't book it until it is 3 months before the cruise. If the passenger wants to change, they need to pay an air deviation fee. We are taking an air credit of $500 off the Olife fare per person so that we can arrange for our own passage. Oceania's Olife rate includes economy seats, with an additional $149 for each leg to bump to Economy Plus/Premium Economy.

This how we have done it for next year's 2 trips.
April/May 2018 US <-> Rome trip:
- One-way to Rome, about $1,700+ pp on DeltaOne throught Celebrity (Score!). If booked from Delta directly, it is close to $6000. We do not have enough points/miles to use mileage to book this leg.
- Return from Rome, we used Delta skymiles for our DeltaOne flights. We got this with a combination of Delta cc promotion and SPG points conversion. We picked the day with the lowest Delta points requirement to return, which was the day after the cruise ship returns to Rome, at 70K per person (Score!).

Dec 2018 US <-> Singapore and Hong Kong
- Each leg per person on United Polaris is 180K, we are going to use a total of 720K (Groan...) for this trip for 2 of us. The dates are not yet available for booking yet. We will check Flights by Celebrity and United direct booking costs before using United miles. At this point it appears that United miles is what we will do. With United upgrading their Polaris program, their prices have also gone up significantly.

Most airlines release seats about 11 months before the flights. If you are using award miles like me, 11 months is the cheapest, i.e. point requirement as they are capacity controlled. For pricing, it varies with the airline and route as to when you get the best price. From my limited experience, it appears that for international flights, it seems that the further out you book the cheaper it is as well. It is definitely not the case in booking domestic US flights.

Thank you so much! We depleted our Delta and AMEX miles with the three of us flying Business this past summer. So it looks like we'll be paying. I don't think we signed up to get a quote from Flights by Celebrity as they told us it was too early. Now I'm running late apparently! Need to get on that. I miss the days before hubby retired when he was racking up the FF miles!!! Sounds like amazing trips. Look forward to hearing about the Singapore & Hong Kong particularly. Have been to Rome. Thanks again!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think most cruises are fun. But "crowds" has alot to do with the cruise lines and ships. The more luxurious, the fewer people there are per sq footage space. It had always felt more like we were in a nice hotel with lots of nice restaurants rather than feeling that we were in a crowded space.

And the places we visit are going to be crowded anyway if it's high season. Some even when it isn't. I enjoy having a balcony to sit out on and feel more isolated.
They say that the sweet-spot for booking is 50-90 days out.
But I won't wait until then. I've already booked flights for May.
I'm looking now for a trip to Europe in August.

To select flights: I use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ They don't sell tickets.
It'll search multiple airports, show a month at a time or a few days before+after.
I'll check it against Google Flights or Expedia (to look for low-price code-shares).
To book the flights, I go to the airlines' website.

I booked our FF points about 8 months out. I did see the prices decrease for a short period of time about 90 days out. But I don't want to take a chance. So will get busy with that. Still have to finalize some hotel rooms in England. We are staying in a cottage in the Cotswolds with traveling friends after the cruise and then on to London for a few days before returning home.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy, this thread is all over the place. So....another detour. I guess when I decided I really like the boat ride better than the excursions was after our first transatlantic. To Barcelona, and as we walked off Celebrity Solstice (our first Celebrity), I turned around and looking up at that ship, said to my DW, "Y'know, after 2 weeks on that sucker, there are still bars we didn't have a drink in, restaurants we didn't try, shows we were too busy to attend, and activities aboard that we would like to try" So we booked the Westbound T/A for that Fall on the inaugural T/A on the then brand new Silhouette.

And to those who cruise for the ports, a cruise ship stop is a lousy way to experience another culture.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And to those who cruise for the ports, a cruise ship stop is a lousy way to experience another culture.

Jim

I agree... I am finding that I am not enjoying the excursion as I should. There is alot of walking and covering alot of things/areas. While we are not moving somewhere for a month or two to experience the culture, we decided to add land tours to our travels. In 2019, we will be doing a transatlantic, followed by 9 days on land (UK), and then return on another transatlantic. We get to enjoy the ship, many ports and then time on land before returning. We are hoping to find a guided land tour that fits the shp schedule, if not, we will change the ship schedules to accomodate the land tour dates.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion to the OP. Once you get your feet wet and you start to enjoy cruising.
A TransAtlantic (another name you will hear it caused is a Reposition Cruise) Cruise is probably the best money value in cruising. We loved sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome on Celebrity Cruise Line. Lets not hijack the OP thread.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have done several cruises over the years ... 1st cruise was a crossing on the QE2 from NYC to England plus added on several days in England. An Alaskan cruise round trip from Seattle for 7 nights just 4 years ago was my 2nd cruise.

Both were very different cruises. Had LITTLE interest in the Alaskan cruise ... I truly hate 6+ hour flights to the West Coast... but when your baby sister is bawling on the phone, begging you to go for her 25th wedding anniversity cruise ... you go (seems I was a BIG player on this cruise happening ... I was the snake charmer for my then 12yo nephew .. aka my roommate).

So, have a good time. It is your cruise. Nothing should be a MUST, no rules about bedtimes.

BIGGEST RULE is: Do not miss the departure of YOUR ship from ANY PORT.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Jim

It is. However, it's a brief overview without having to change hotels or dinner reservations.

Cruising can be an adventure in itself or a compromise. A little of both for us.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Re: Nassau, Bahamas
We at long last got to meet Passepartout on Celebrity's Eclipse Transatlantic:wave:. Thanks to Cruise Critic and our sailing's roll call, we signed up for a private taxi tour to the Primeval Forest, where we were met by a naturalist and took a moderate guided walk into this pristine area off the beaten path. It cost $20 pp for the taxi ride to & from the forest, and the driver provided high & low test punch for us. Our forest tour was $7 pp.

Here is the taxi driver's email: sharandbastian@gmail.com and his website is bahamacruisetaxicab.com. I highly recommend this, especially if you've been to Nassau previously.

It was crazy trying to shop in the port area when we finished our tour. We couldn't wait to get back onto the ship and when we did, lo & behold, we ended up lunching with Jim & his DW, Paula!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Nassau, Bahamas
We at long last got to meet Passepartout on Celebrity's Eclipse Transatlantic:wave:.

It was crazy trying to shop in the port area when we finished our tour. We couldn't wait to get back onto the ship and when we did, lo & behold, we ended up lunching with Jim & his DW, Paula!
You're too kind, Barb. We enjoyed the time we spent with you and Fred, too. That taxi tour you took sounded great, and a terrific way to dodge the crowds. And since no one has mentioned it in case Alan is reading, in the Bahamas, their currency and USD are at par and used interchangeably. U.S. dollars spent will get change back in U.S. Dollars.

Jim

rleigh

Reaction score
I know the feeling and I'm excited for you.

I'd wanted to cruise all my life and finally did several years ago with a 3 day, LA to Ensenada.

"Take a cruise" is still on the bucket list, I loved it so much. Again, someday.

If you love being on the boat, just go on the excursion that's REALLY calling you.

Or if like me, you just wanted a taste of the port of call, make it a short simple excursion.

My number one rule though was that is was one of the excursions offered by the cruise line, rather than going on a local tour on our own.

It just seemed safer that way, and a way to avoid mishaps and confusion, if anything happened.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding shore excursions, we made a mistake of booking full day tours this year and we were exhausted at the end of each day and we are both fairly fit - we do an hour on the eliptical or treadmill or a 4-hr round of golf each day. For our cruise next April, we booked tours that are no more than 4 hours per day, unless it is really compelling to go to like Amalfi Coast and Pompeii from Naples. The ship has a more expensive excursion where we will take a motor launch to cut down time on the road and we signed up for that.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
While the 4 day short cruises are known as the party cruises, they really are only that if you make them that. We have been on several three and five night cruises and while there were partiers on board, they didn't impact our cruise or enjoyment of our vacation. If you want to party, you can find it on most any Caribbean cruise. If you want a relaxing trip, you can find it on any cruise.

If you have never been to Nassau, there is nothing wrong with getting off the ship. You don't have to shop in all the tourist trap souvenir shops at the port. You can take a taxi to the beach or take a short island tour.

rleigh

Reaction score
While the 4 day short cruises are known as the party cruises, they really are only that if you make them that. We have been on several three and five night cruises and while there were partiers on board, they didn't impact our cruise or enjoyment of our vacation......

I second that! We found out, after we were on the ship, it was known as the "Booze Cruise."

A bunch of young partiers, but a bunch of fogeys like us, too.

We laughed with strangers about it.

We had no alcohol (except the free champagne at the Captain's Welcome) and weren't interested in gambling.

And still it was one of the best experiences of my life!!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I know a guy who's only reason for cruising is to drink.
In port, he'll find the nearest watering hole and when it's time to go, wobble back to the ship.
He says: "You can find exotic bars, meet locals, and yet, home is in walking distance."