• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should have read this site first...

Grnclvrs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I just got back from Wyndham Grand Resort Bonnet Creek and bought into the "great deal" offered in the timeshare presentation. Salesman talked great about how I could spend a week in a two bedroom suite in any of the over 200 Wyndham properties, how I could trade with RCI for weeks at other properties, and get the last call offers where i don't use any points just $319 cash for the week. Finally got my log in for the Wyndham Club website and decided to book a week in Clearwater for my wedding anniversary next month. No availability at least until next July (where i gave up looking). No problem, we'll go to Daytona Beach. Same result. Every single property I tried outside Orlando had zero availability through the end of the year. On top of that, the points I got don't even give me a full week in Orlando. They sweetened the pot with 174,000 bonus points, lifetime RCI membership, two year temporary silver VIP status, some perks program, and a plus program. After reading through the posts on here, i'm going to rescind the offer tomorrow. However, I do like the prospect of the ability to spend my vacations in one or two bedroom suites instead of hotel rooms. Is buying the points in resale a better option for this or will I just run into the same problems with availability? Is there a way to join RCI and buy points directly with them?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
RESCIND now and then do your due diligence and make an informed decision on your own timeline and your own terms. How many days has it been since you signed the contract? IIRC Florida has a 10 day rescission window but check your contract and follow the rescission instructions to a tee. If you need any advice on how to move forward we are all here to assist you!

Edit: check out my recent thread on my own rescission and rebuy into Wyndham VIP on my own terms second time around - paying only 5k more to Wyndham for a crap ton more points using PIC transactions.

And yes, you can probably do most of what you want with resale points and forgo developer points altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Well, you probably won't find much with a month's notice. If you can book 10-13 months in advance, or even 6-8 months in many cases, it's a very good vacation product when bought resale.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Wyndham Grand Resort Bonnet Creek and bought into the "great deal" offered in the timeshare presentation. Salesman talked great about how I could spend a week in a two bedroom suite in any of the over 200 Wyndham properties, how I could trade with RCI for weeks at other properties, and get the last call offers where i don't use any points just $319 cash for the week. Finally got my log in for the Wyndham Club website and decided to book a week in Clearwater for my wedding anniversary next month. No availability at least until next July (where i gave up looking). No problem, we'll go to Daytona Beach. Same result. Every single property I tried outside Orlando had zero availability through the end of the year. On top of that, the points I got don't even give me a full week in Orlando. They sweetened the pot with 174,000 bonus points, lifetime RCI membership, two year temporary silver VIP status, some perks program, and a plus program. After reading through the posts on here, i'm going to rescind the offer tomorrow. However, I do like the prospect of the ability to spend my vacations in one or two bedroom suites instead of hotel rooms. Is buying the points in resale a better option for this or will I just run into the same problems with availability? Is there a way to join RCI and buy points directly with them?
Rescind and take your time doing your due diligence as advised previously.
I don’t think you can see the availability until after your rescission period is up. Ocean Walk [Daytona Beach]is pretty much available after Labor Day weekend.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Rescind, Rescind, Rescind. Study up on the system and they buy something resell if you so choose.

Timeshares are great if you don’t pay too much from the start and understand the programs.

Clearwater is a brand new resort and most beach resorts in summer months will be tough to find available slots in booking only a month away. Timeshares require booking several months in advance to get the accommodations you may need.

Now Clearwater - What I can tell you is if you stop by there location they have a special for $99 for a 2 night stay or $149 for 7 night stay if you attend a presentation. Just don’t by anything if you go this route.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
However, I do like the prospect of the ability to spend my vacations in one or two bedroom suites instead of hotel rooms. Is buying the points in resale a better option for this or will I just run into the same problems with availability?

From the title of your post I think you already know the answer! Wyndham Timeshares is a wonderful product, but not financially sound when you buy at an on site presentation.

Availability is difficult for all of us when it gets close to the date we'd like to check in. For the Wyndham system to work for us, we have to be able to plan our vacations well in advance. It certainly can be done.

Obviously buying points resale is a better option; they cost about 95% less and have almost all the same benefits as buying directly from Wyndham.

About RCI, I can't help you, I've never used it.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Rescind, Rescind, Rescind. Study up on the system and they buy something resell if you so choose.

Timeshares are great if you don’t pay too much from the start and understand the programs.

Clearwater is a brand new resort and most beach resorts in summer months will be tough to find available slots in booking only a month away. Timeshares require booking several months in advance to get the accommodations you may need.

Now Clearwater - What I can tell you is if you stop by there location they have a special for $99 for a 2 night stay or $149 for 7 night stay if you attend a presentation. Just don’t by anything if you go this route.

Breezez thanks for the heads up on the Clearwater promotion. I'm assuming this is only available for non-owners yes? Great deal for sure! :)

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
From the title of your post I think you already know the answer! Wyndham Timeshares is a wonderful product, but not financially sound when you buy at an on site presentation.

Availability is difficult for all of us when it gets close to the date we'd like to check in. For the Wyndham system to work for us, we have to be able to plan our vacations well in advance. It certainly can be done.

Obviously buying points resale is a better option; they cost about 95% less and have almost all the same benefits as buying directly from Wyndham.

About RCI, I can't help you, I've never used it.

I'm not knowledgeable about RCI either, since I'm relatively new to timeshares in general. That said, my general understanding is that timeshare resorts that integrated into RCI could choose to convert to the RCI points system (as opposed to the TPU/weeks program). I've often seen "RCI Points" for resales on ebay, here's one current example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202380185224?ul_noapp=true

Again, I'm not sure exactly what this means, but hopefully someone who is much more knowledgeable will come along and provide some more color on RCI points. :)

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I’m with the others on the rescinding and agree that availability is limited this close to your checkin date, regardless of if you have resale or retail points. The only three things you do not get with resale points are VIP status, Club Pass locations (WorldMark resort bookings for $99 fee), and Plus Partners. RCI comes with every Wyndham membership but you can only book full weeks. To book individual nights, you need RCI nightly stays which you only get through Plus Partners. That’s the only good thing, I can think of for Plus Partners and that’s only if you need it. The perks membership anyone can get for a yearly $60 fee. it’s only free in your first year (resale doesn’t get one free year). Gold and Platinum VIP get it free. I get it free as Gold VIP, but I can get better or the same discounts without it. Many agree it’s not worth it. As far as Club Pass bookings, if you are going to use them at least once a year, it would be worth it to buy a resale WorldMark contract on eBay. You won’t have to pay the $99 fee to book and the 10’s of thousands of dollars for the ability to do so. As far as VIP, it’s debatable on whether or not it’s worth it. Discounts and upgrades are hard to come by in prime season which include most major holidays, summer break, spring break, and winter break. They also include things like Mardi Gras where the event happens almost the same time every year. Daytona bike week is difficult to get unless you book very far out. If you travel during low or value seasons, there should be plenty of availability during the discount and up grade windows. Silver and above have unlimited housekeeping credits which are required with every reservation. If you make multiple weekend trips a year, you might run out of those. If you do one or two full weeks out of the year, you should be fine. The Margaritaville Access is good but silver gets to book only six months out, and only during hush and low season gold gets anytime of year but only 8 months out. Platinum can book 10 months out. The extra time to use the points deposit feature is nice. It gives you more time to decide your vacation plans before deciding to roll them over to the next year. If you pass your deadline, you can only deposit in RCI or let them expire. Those are just a few of the benefits of VIP. The rest can be found in your directory. A lot of VIP owners will buy enough points to go VIP and then buy the rest through the resale market. The points they buy on the resale market will get the same benefits as retail except it cannot advance VIP status and you cannot use them for Club Pass bookings. You can still get discounted and upgraded bookings (when available) on reservations made with those points. Like most other things with Wyndham, that’s subject to change.

If you do not need either of those three things, resale is by far the best value. However, there is one thing you might want to consider. You may want to consider buying the discovery package. You have to buy that through Wyndham and unfortunately it requires you to sit down with a sales person, at a resort, but it allows you to try out the program commitment free. It’s good for two years. After the two years you can either walk away, or buy resale or retail package. You do not have to deal with the hassle of selling or giving it away. If you buy retail, the money you spent on the discovery package can go towards a retail purchase. The package is usually around $3,000 to $4,000. You also don’t have to worry about maintenance fees, housekeeping credits, reservation transactions, etc. aside from having to sit down with a sales person two times (the first to buy the package, and a second on your first vacation with the package), the downsides are that you are limited to what resorts you can book, because not all participate with discovery, and you have to call to make your reservations. Discovery members cannot book online, however, you can explore the website and confirm reservations you already made.

If you must have those three things, you have to buy your points through Wyndham. I would recommend you utilize the PIC program like Hitchhiker71 and I did. We both got Gold VIP at a fraction of the retail cost. It’s still way more expensive then retail, so be sure you really those three things are worth that kind of money. Really sit down and consider the monetary and perceived value and then determine if you want to spend that kind of cash. I don’t recommend VIP to someone that can only spare a week of vacation a year, or cannot use the vendors otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Clearly you're going to rescind and do some research, which is great! As far as availability, as has been mentioned a month out is going to be pretty slim in most instances, especially at popular locations ad popular times of year. If you like to travel relatively last minute, RCI may come in handy. They have Last Call deals that I often wish we had the flexibility to take advantage of - they are generally $244 for a 1 bedroom or $269 for a 2 bedroom for a week (plus whatever resort or housekeeping fees the individual resort tacks on). Not the cream of the crop resorts, obviously, but I see plenty that I'd stay at :)

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I'm not knowledgeable about RCI either, since I'm relatively new to timeshares in general. That said, my general understanding is that timeshare resorts that integrated into RCI could choose to convert to the RCI points system (as opposed to the TPU/weeks program). I've often seen "RCI Points" for resales on ebay, here's one current example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202380185224?ul_noapp=true

Again, I'm not sure exactly what this means, but hopefully someone who is much more knowledgeable will come along and provide some more color on RCI points. :)

Hitchhiker - Some resorts trading in RCI have elected to go the way of points but probably 50% plus still trade under weeks.

Since you are a Wyndham owner and will have access RCI you can trade a given room size for anything in RCI by going through the portal in myclubwyndham site. Wyndham has a fixed trade grid based on room size. It’s basically a way to provide value to be able to extend points you are about to loose. The trade value plus exchange fee for Wyndham is not a good use for your points. Using your Wyndham points you will only see RCI weeks inventory.

Some resorts trading in RCI also will trade in RCI Points. RCI doesn’t charge resorts to issue points vs weeks, but the resorts use it as a money ploy to shake owners down another $2500 -$5000 to convert ownership to RCI points. As an RCI Points owner you have to notify them in advance if you want your home week. If not RCI will take your home week and issue a given amount of points for your week.

Points in RCI pull every thing RCI has weeks or Points inventory. You don’t have to worry about diminishing TPU value of you TS because once converted your points will always be the same each year.

Some people hate RCI, I hate some of their fees, but I love the points program. You can get a hell of a lot for very little MF if you work the system.

If you want to get into RCI Points you want to get the greatest points /MF ratio possible. You want your point price to be $.01 or less. The lowest price ones I know of are Grandview in Vegas, You can get 122,000 point contracts for $804 per year MF. But these generally cost $2500-$3500 each. Or you can get 98K ones for same MF for about $200-$500. The next best for point/MF ratios are. Vacation Villiage at Parkway 92K for around $864 MF.

You will find at various times you can get rooms at 60 days or less for less than Wyndham Platinum VIPs pay using their points. You won’t always have same inventory access but you would be surprised at what you can find. You can find a points table on RCI’s site that show every resort and points cost per week based on its location. Once you are already a RCI Points member you can deposit other TS under points for deposit and get the same points as listed on chart. There are some resorts that have rooms you can lock off deposit both sides and get 122K points. To deposit other resorts there is a $39 fee, and resort can’t be in RCI points.

Your points last 2 years automatically then you can pay a fee to extend them 1 additional year, but if your and RCI Platinum Account holder when you pay to extend 1 year you get 2nd year for free.

Last edited:

Al Wilson

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk
RESCIND, and buy resale. I would suggest buying just enough points to book your minimum size room for one week, at your preferred resort. You can buy more points later if you need. You can also book extra weeks at Wyndham Extra Holidays or at Wyndham Vacation Rentals. If you use credit card point programs frequently, Hilton has a good point program, and the points are good for use at many resorts. I'm looking at booking a Hilton brand for Christmas week (using all points), and there are so many options in Florida that I can't decide.

Grnclvrs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Thanks for all the replies. I sent the rescission letter yesterday as laid out on the 9 page contract. It just said that I had to notify them in writing at an address in Las Vegas. Didn't say what was supposed to be in the letter so I just wrote that we wanted to cancel the contract signed on July 24th and gave them the contract number and membership number. Sent it certified with return receipt. Do I need to put anything else in the letter? All the other documents are on a Kindle Fire that I can't figure out how to search.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I sent the rescission letter yesterday as laid out on the 9 page contract. It just said that I had to notify them in writing at an address in Las Vegas. Didn't say what was supposed to be in the letter so I just wrote that we wanted to cancel the contract signed on July 24th and gave them the contract number and membership number. Sent it certified with return receipt. Do I need to put anything else in the letter? All the other documents are on a Kindle Fire that I can't figure out how to search.
Did everyone on the contract sign and date the cancellation letter?
I also like to print your name along with the above.
If you answered yes to the question you are good to go.
Track the delivery and print it off ounce it’s delivered. Postal date is the day of rescission but it’s good to know that the cancellation letter was delivered also.

Grnclvrs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Did everyone on the contract sign and date the cancellation letter?
I also like to print your name along with the above.
If you answered yes to the question you are good to go.
Track the delivery and print it off ounce it’s delivered. Postal date is the day of rescission but it’s good to know that the cancellation letter was delivered also.

Thanks. I was kinda freaking out that I did it wrong.

Oh boy

Reaction score

What does all of this mean? I just bought a timeshare at bonnet Creek, but now I'm second guessing it.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
What does all of this mean? I just bought a timeshare at bonnet Creek, but now I'm second guessing it.

It means that if you bought your timeshare from a sales pitch at Bonnet Creek then you probably paid many thousands too much for it. Read the info in the stickies (pinkish) section of the New to Timesharing section (https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/new-to-timesharing-look-here.17/ ) of these forums for instructions on how to rescind then take your time & after some research buy resale cheap, or get for free, the timeshare that works for you.
Be aware you have a limited (short) timeframe to rescind and receive a refund. Good luck & welcome to TUG!

~Diane

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
If you bought it from the developer and it has been less than 10 days (Florida Law). You can rescind and learn about Wyndham on here save several thousands and buy same thing resell.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Rescind, take your time, look into the week or weekend stay at Clearwater, FL. Don’t buy anything no matter how great it looks. Good Luck and welcome to TUG.
Silentg

Oh boy

Reaction score
thank you all so much for the info. I have my letter ready and will be sending it off Monday. I should've did my research first.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
thank you all so much for the info. I have my letter ready and will be sending it off Monday. I should've did my research first.

You’re not the first and you’re not the last. I talked to a director at telesales and he said only 7% of sales comes from the telesales offices. So the rest come from the resorts. You're one of the 93%. At least you thought to do your research. Honestly, I think Wyndham could do a better job of informing the buyer what they are buying into. If someone finds out to late that the product doesn’t work for them like it should, they will just be another voice in the crowd of people who are angry at Wyndham. There are plenty of these in the forums and it causes many to rescind simply because they see so much negativity. That negativity either scares them or, or causes them to do their research to find out the product is not right for them. When they do their research, they often find that promises were made, but could not be delivered, and then they become another voice in the crowd of unhappy owners. I have no doubt Wyndham as a company wants their owner to be happy with the product. It’s bad business not to. The problems are at the local level I think, because I hear some had good experiences at certain resorts and some are notoriously bad. I know Wyndham watches these forums. They know which sites are the bad ones. I’m just not sure if they are going to do anything about it. I was told by someone higher up that since the split, they invested a lot of capital to improve the owner experience. Maybe we will see some changes. Maybe we won’t. Time Will tell. Maybe we will see fewer unhappy owners. One can hope. :)

For the Wyndham people watching these forums, I would recommend that you require the resort sales staff to show the buyers a Wyndham 101 video that tells them about booking windows, explain how maintenance fees work, how VIP benefits work, etc so there are no false expectations. If an owner is better informed, they will be less likely to be unhappy. A video would also ensure the sales person doesn’t embellish when presenting them with that info. That’s just my opinion.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay

Right now you may have no idea how lucky you are, but if you do buy into Wyndham after absorbing the very valuable information available from the experts here, you will! It's a great product.. if you can buy it a a good price.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am praying that all went well for you after doing the paperwork to cancel your contract.
Suggestion only: Please read the many articles under TUG's Advice about timeshare before going on another sales presentation.
Good Luck and Welcome to TUG "Where Knowledge is Power" by Bacon.

Grnclvrs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I am praying that all went well for you after doing the paperwork to cancel your contract.
Suggestion only: Please read the many articles under TUG's Advice about timeshare before going on another sales presentation.
Good Luck and Welcome to TUG "Where Knowledge is Power" by Bacon.

Yes it did. We got the email about the cancellation by the end of the business day that they received the letter. The salesman called once, probably to try and get us to re-up but we let it go to voicemail. Now we're just waiting to find out when they want the Kindle they gave us back.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Yes it did. We got the email about the cancellation by the end of the business day that they received the letter. The salesman called once, probably to try and get us to re-up but we let it go to voicemail. Now we're just waiting to find out when they want the Kindle they gave us back.

They usually tell you to keep the Kindle. OP posted that they can't reuse it since your info is on it.