• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should We Buy? If so, What?

Syquinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your feedback. I know it takes people time to do this and I do appreciate the help. My husband and I have been looking at timeshares for awhile. We have purchased and rescinded two of them. So here is a description of our needs.

First, we are duplicate bridge players and travel to three National tournaments per year. These tourneys move to various locations each tournament. They are generally in large cities in hotels that have huge conference space or adjacent to convention centers. Boston, DC, Orland, Dallas, Houston, Denver, San Francisco, Toronto to name a few. The Upcoming four tourneys are San Francisco, Columbus, OH, Montreal and Tampa. Sometimes there are timeshares near the tourney and it would be nice to have a kitchen, etc. But I am also thinking that maybe the Marriott system would be good if you could also use it for the Marriott hotels since the tourneys often use either Marriott or Hilton (or Hyatt) for the host hotel.

Otherwise, we also have a nine-year-old and want to to family vacations with her. We have relatives with kids so it's nice when we can vacation together with them.

We live near Houston so would also like a place to getaway for some long weekends with probably just us or some friends too. We are constrained by school schedules of course.

We like to travel. Our recent vacations have included European cruises the last two summers. We want to take my daughter to Europe for some land trips as well. We also want to go on an African Safari.

Domestically, we have taken some vacations as well. We took a bus tour around the middle of the country for a week - Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah. That was fun! We also mapped out and took a road trip in the Northeast - Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut. We'd like to visit the Northeast again in the future.

We like to be busy on our vacations. We aren't the just lay around the pool type people although my daughter loves to swim and play in the sand.

We have thought about a second home but just can't see the value since we do like to travel. I was thinking timeshare would fill in for this but am just not sure if it would meet our interests either. Your feedback would be most appreciated. I went ahead and completed the survey to supplement my comments above.

Thanks
Shawn Quinn

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

I think that we would like a place where we could take some extended weekend trips.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

If it's nearby, we would probably just use it. If far away, probably for trade.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Maine, and all up and down California. Washington DC, New York. Also Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head (we haven't been there yet but I'd like to go)

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself? 3

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? School schedule.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4 or 5.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? Money is not an issue.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? Money is not an issue.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Can be if necessary.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Stick with the big programs with the destinations you want to go to. Do your research on the program and see what transfers on resale. Some benefits don’t transfer, like the ability to book using points in network. For Vistana you would need to purchase a deed in a mandatory resort in order to be able to book in the network. MVC DC points resale are expensive but to have lots of options and destinations.

The point is, check the destinations and resorts that appeal to you first then learn about that program so you know which resale to buy. Not all resales are equal even in the same program. Unit size, and season affect the amount of points which maint fees are generally the same.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Probably Marriott will best fit your needs.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
MVC maybe your best option. If you decide that route, now you purchase where there is the cheapest MF. As I understand, it’s Grand Chateau in Vegas. More expensive buyin however cheapest MF ratio. You will use II to trade as well as score Getaways.
Note: Hyatt hotels are separate. Hyatt sold their TS to ILG many moons ago. Now MVC is negotiating licensing w/ Hyatt to fold HRC into MVC.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think MVC weeks is a great choice. Between wanting to do short stays and the school schedule restriction, I think weeks trading in II isn't a great choice.

I think MVC points (hybrid package or resale points) or a HGVC plat week would be better choices given the OP requirements.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live near Houston so would also like a place to getaway for some long weekends with probably just us or some friends too. We are constrained by school schedules of course.
For your weekend getaways, you should definitely look into WorldMark, which has 1 urban (Austin) and 3 rural resorts within a 2-4 hour drive from Houston. There are fall weekends available to book at these resorts, now. Friday and Saturday nights must be booked together, if both are available.

A couple of examples:

WM Marble Falls, TX – Friday & Saturday nights

1 bedroom Red Season = 4,400 credits Blue Season = 2,800 credits

Hunt, TX – WM Stablewood Springs, Friday & Saturday nights

1 bedroom Red Season = 4,600 credits Blue Season = 3,000 credits

These resorts are often available for “Anytime” Inventory Specials, which includes weekends. These are cash specials that do not use your valuable credits. The current rate is $0.069/credit, so a weekend would cost $179.40 (2,800 credits) to $317.40 (4,600 credits).

More Inventory Special details are available here. Click on the name of the resort you are interested in for the full Credit Chart.

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/inventory_specials/

A 10,000-credit membership is a good starting point. Resales are about $3,000 – 4,000 and the current yearly maintenance fees are $871. Account transfers are taking about 4-5 months.

An Interval International or RCI account may be purchased through a WorldMark ownership, and WorldMark has excellent trading power in these exchange companies.

If this does not take you everywhere you want to vacation, you can always expand your timeshare ownership and buy into another timeshare system, or just book something through a travel agent.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other system that would be good for local getaways is Holiday Inn Vacations Club. Multiple Texas locations including 2 in Galveston, and staying for just a weekend/short stay isn't a problem.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should also know that even though some timeshare systems share a name with major hotel systems, timeshare credits don't translate to hotel stays. Owning Wyndham points won't get you into Wyndham hotels, same with Hilton and Marriott.

But I DO kind of like the WorldMark system for you. Lots of locations and a flexible system. Plus it retains some resale value. You don't hear of people giving them away or acquiring them for a buck on eBay.

Jim