• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Silverleaf Owner update (New Endless Escapes policy)

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I am so incensed over the change HICV did to the Endless Escapes program, here is my plan for protesting:

• Accept the sales weasel offer of an "owner update" noting the time stated in the offer.
    • (90 minutes, depending on level of interest)
  • Pick the most expensive offer.
  • Check in and start the timer on my phone for that time.
  • Engage the sales weasel with mindless chit chat pleasantly.
  • When the alarm goes off, ask to speak with the sales manager.
  • Tell the sales manager: This is MY owner update:
    • I'm angry as hell about the new policy with Endless Escapes.
    • Bonus Time and Endless Escapes are prepaid from unused vacations which have not been claimed.
    • My level of interest is nil minus one.
    • I will NEVER buy anything else from a sleazy company that violates a trust.
    • I will be a reviewer of their units with every site possible and report every flaw I find.
    • Feel free to pass this to your upper management.
  • Cash me out please.
  • Wash, rinse, repeat.

Please feel free to follow my lead.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Good luck. I can't imagine that they will let you attend more than once or twice before you are banned from owners updates.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good luck. I can't imagine that they will let you attend more than once or twice before you are banned from owners updates.
That works too

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
Be sure to file a complaint with the Texas AG!!

dmdodson

Reaction score
Is there a class action lawsuit being formed against them for taking our deeded bonus time away?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know about original EE owner's, but on any upgrade contract we've signed allows them to change the rules at any time.

Teamhonn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SilverLeaf
[Duplicate post deleted. For the sake of continuity, please keep your comments on this issue in one thread.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Teamhonn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SilverLeaf
I hope that is correct. I am looking for my original contract on my OZ accout that was never changed or updated and that has the free endless escape/bonus time in it. I hope there is no clause that allows them to cancel it or to start charging a fee for it.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What I don't like about the gofundaccount is the lack of info. It seems like the person who set it up doesn't have a firm. They want a fairly large retainer and then will shop for a lawyer. On the contrary, they should take the free consultation and get an estimated cost of the firm, if they are willing to take the case. There is also nothing saying that if a firm can not be located the money will be refunded, etc. So basically you are asking for money without even any assurance that the money will be used for litigation against HICV and/or silverleaf.

TimeShareTalk

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I don't like about the gofundaccount is the lack of info. It seems like the person who set it up doesn't have a firm. They want a fairly large retainer and then will shop for a lawyer. On the contrary, they should take the free consultation and get an estimated cost of the firm, if they are willing to take the case. There is also nothing saying that if a firm can not be located the money will be refunded, etc. So basically you are asking for money without even any assurance that the money will be used for litigation against HICV and/or silverleaf.

Understood. You may wish to join our closed Facebook Group for more info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/661297700670190/

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are spot on. A good class action will be funded by contingency of the proceeds of the suit.

TimeShareTalk

TUG Member
Reaction score
This petition has been created to ask that the Holiday Inn Vacation Club and its subsidiaries remove the additional changes unfairly enforced on the property owners or visitors at their Silverleaf Resorts.

We respectfully request that you reconsider your actions and live up to the intent of our agreement. Please put the Owners ahead of your financial greed.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/312...NefPfpDK-qdZjQH6-YWyZe1IK5kqpM#bbfb=901136538

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
  • Tell the sales manager: This is MY owner update:
    • I'm angry as hell about the new policy with Endless Escapes.
    • Bonus Time and Endless Escapes are prepaid from unused vacations which have not been claimed.
    • My level of interest is nil minus one.
    • I will NEVER buy anything else from a sleazy company that violates a trust. (I left out "sleazy")
    • I will be a reviewer of their units with every site possible and report every flaw I find.
    • Feel free to pass this to your upper management.
  • Cash me out please.
  • Wash, rinse, repeat.

Please feel free to follow my lead.
Pocketed $80 which was half of our bonus time fee.

I ended it when I told the the closer that IF I ever wanted to buy more HICV points, I would buy them from Lake Geneva, Gatlinburg, or Myrtle Beach on the secondary market and that I could buy a lot of 6 day EE vacations for the $44K I would be saving.

Microphone drop

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I don't know about original EE owner's, but on any upgrade contract we've signed allows them to change the rules at any time.

You can sue...but winning is very slim because of what Dr. Q mentions above.

That is the clause they pull out in Court with affixed signature(s)

Perhaps that is why the go fund me is looking for a lot of money because no Lawyer will take it on pro bono because of that clause.

My opinion is to simply sell your interest and move to a resort where the current terms better fit what you want and agree with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrQ

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Also, I can’t emphasize enough. Read any contract carefully before signing.

I always recommend that if you see a clause that says we can change terms at anytime, cross it out and initial. They may not accept that. In which case, I would walk.

That clause is very powerful and in essence gives them the power to change whatever they want when they want and it has legal force.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I always recommend that if you see a clause that says we can change terms at anytime, cross it out and initial. They may not accept that. In which case, I would walk.
Exactly

In reality, even if they accepted the the modification, that still excludes a class action suite which is where the real money is for contingency lawsuits.

We accepted the conditions because it did not AFFECT US AT THE TIME, but in reality, what were our options?

As I pointed out to the sales weasel closer, we can still buy a lot of 6 day vacations for the $44K + $80 we saved.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would be fine if you wanted to stay in a cabin or lodge accommodation. When they started building Presidentials, they modified the contract.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Exactly

In reality, even if they accepted the the modification, that still excludes a class action suite which is where the real money is for contingency lawsuits.

We accepted the conditions because it did not AFFECT US AT THE TIME, but in reality, what were our options?

As I pointed out to the sales weasel closer, we can still buy a lot of 6 day vacations for the $44K + $80 we saved.

Your option was to walk.

Yes, I know it didn’t affect you at the time, but crossing it out gives you the power to refuse changes. Yes, a class action would be out. I know of one case where they left the one person untouched because that clause was crossed out, but forced everyone else to the change. At least you protected yourself.

I hear you you have a right to be angry. People often feel hood winked when they are promised something and the rug gets pulled from them. They never expect someone to change things to their liking, but with that clause....they can and do.

I don’t agree with them doing it at all. That’s why I suggest people cross off that clause. Otherwise you really don’t have an agreement you can count on because it’s not stable.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Personally, I would dump them and get something that works better for you. The only way to stop contracts with that clause is to terminate them by selling.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your option was to walk.

Yes, I know it didn’t affect you at the time, but crossing it out gives you the power to refuse changes. Yes, a class action would be out. I know of one case where they left the one person untouched because that clause was crossed out, but forced everyone else to the change. At least you protected yourself.

I hear you you have a right to be angry. People often feel hood winked when they are promised something and the rug gets pulled from them. They never expect someone to change things to their liking, but with that clause....they can and do.

I don’t agree with them doing it at all. That’s why I suggest people cross off that clause. Otherwise you really don’t have an agreement you can count on because it’s not stable.

The problem is this: Even IF they had accepted the modification, I would have to sue them, which would be cost prohibitive. Even if we were to win, they would appeal to the point that our heirs would receive pennies and the lawyers would still reap the $$$

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Yup! That’s why the only solution is to dump them and find something better that works for you.

If enough people dump them, they get the message loud and clear and the cost is nominal. Ie. giving the thing away and losing your buy in costs.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally, I would dump them and get something that works better for you. The only way to stop contracts with that clause is to terminate them by selling.

We use what we have. I will rub their noses in it at every opportunity and call them out. I will also take their money when offered.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
We use what we have. I will rub their noses in it at every opportunity and call them out. I will also take their money when offered.

Fair enough. Whatever works for you.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s why the only solution is to dump them and find something better that works for you.

Agree. What I don't understand why people buy into anything but HOA Controlled Independent Resorts. There you only have one entity and one Board of Directors to deal with. Most of the chains change the rules to suit themselves to the detriment of their Owners. The question is not "Will they" but rather "When"...

George