• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ski Week Strategy Question

brdweb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House
So I am now an owner of week 25 at HBH (2k pts). I mostly bought this to exchange to ski weeks in CO, UT, etc.... How will this work for me as I don't have any 2019 usage but want to try and get a late Feb, early Mar week next year? Will I need to pay my 2020 fees early to lock in an available date? And if I decide to exchange into II instead (for say Marriott), how far out can I do that? ie would I have to not get a ski week this year but instead use my 2020 points for a 2021 II ski week?

peas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have the best answer and was hoping someone else more in the know would respond, but here's what I do know.

You can put in a request right now even if you don't have points and hope that you match sometime after your points come in this summer. The system looks down the wait list and will match with the first person who has sufficient points and is current on their MFs. So if you had put in your wait list request a long time ago and were at the top of the list but didn't have the points currently to book the request, the system will move onto the next person on the list.

I'm sorry that I don't recall if you need to pay or not in advance, but I recall the website prompting me to pay if I needed to do so.
This payment is an estimated payment, and they send a true up bill sometime in the fall (October-ish).

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You get your HRPP week 12 months before your checkin date. So, points for your week 25 for next year become available to use in June 2019. It's always best to have available points 12 months before your desired ski week so buying a week 25 wasn't the greatest decision.

However most people think that having points 6 months before your desired reservation week is the most important date to target. That is because if a Hyatt owner does not book their HRPP week at 6 months prior to check-in, they automatically receive CUP points and the week is released to all other Hyatt owners.

Say you want to book your ski for week 9, which is the first week of March. If an owner of the week 9 ski unit does not book their HRPP week by Sep (6 months before March), you can then book that week 9 unit for yourself. If you put in a wait list, you will get the week if you have points in your account. Given you own week 25, you will have points available 9 months before week 9 check-in date so you are in pretty good shape.

Waitlists are processed on a first submitted, first filled basis. Your waitlist is skipped if you have no points when the week becomes available but your waitlist remains in the queue.

Week 9 is a diamond week at many Hyatt ski resorts so you won't be able to book 2BR units for the full week with only 2000 points. I think the only exception is at High Sierra in Lake Tahoe.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
late feb and early march are the most desirable weeks (other than christmas, NY, Presidents) so that will be a challenge as there may be limited availability

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
So I am now an owner of week 25 at HBH (2k pts). I mostly bought this to exchange to ski weeks in CO, UT, etc.... How will this work for me as I don't have any 2019 usage but want to try and get a late Feb, early Mar week next year? Will I need to pay my 2020 fees early to lock in an available date? And if I decide to exchange into II instead (for say Marriott), how far out can I do that? ie would I have to not get a ski week this year but instead use my 2020 points for a 2021 II ski week?
You will have a very hard time getting any Colorado reservations on the dates you mentioned, especially in March, and there are no HRC's in Utah. And you will probably not have enough points either. However, in years past I have watched and been able to pick up weeks for studios at both Beaver Creek and Breckenridge. So not impossible. On the other hand I've had my 3 bedroom penthouse WEEK 11 available for rent at Breckenridge every year for the last 9 years. (After I hit a Tree),

I have not been able to rent it for the last two years. Even with fantastic snow conditions ! This year I cancelled the reservation on the Thursday before the Saturday check in. If you had been checking every day a few days before my week you would have been able to grab my 3 bedroom, (Or maybe just the, 2 bedroom or studio portions) but it would have cost 2950 points for all 3 Bedrooms, and you would have only had 2 days to get to Breckenridge. Maybe if you moved to Colorado you could find a last minute deal like mine that would work for you. ;)

So Again, in addition to getting on the waitlist for the week you actually want, just check for availability at Breckenridge and Beaver Creek every day , or every week beginning in ?? (I not sure when or how far out) and you might find something pop up that you can grab.

also it is VERY unlikely that you will ever see Aspen become available however, except maybe in the first week of December or right after thanksgiving. Just FYI. Perry.

Last edited: