• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Small Riviera Contracts

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I just added on a 50 point Riviera contract and am using it to bank and borrow with my current 2019 usage year for a 2020 reservation (i.e. I can bank 2019, use 2020 and borrow 2021 for a 2020 reservation of up to 150 points). I know Tuggers are predicting a big loss in resale value for Riviera under the new rules where resale does not allow exchanging into legacy resorts. This is why I bought a small contract so if/when I sell I don’t take a beating. IN the meantime, there is no downside to me as a DVC member since I can use it for all resorts past and future. I wanted a contract specifically for Riviera so I can book at 11 months. I am guessing some other people may want that too and future resale buyers may buy Riviera either to book at 11 months or because they end up loving Riviera. For couples and singles, the studios there are a great value. Riviera is near Epcot and will likely fill up during the festivals in spring and fall. Anyone else buy Riviera yet or thinking of adding on? What is the smallest resale amount allowed for new buyers?

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We are thinking about cutting our Disney exposure way down. Probably no more than 1 trip a year and maybe less. With all the price increases and restrictions on the new DVC resorts, we would rather go back to Hawaii or visit mountain states.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also bought a 50 point add-on. I think the minimum for new buyers is 100 points, but it may be more. Riviera is expensive point-wise though. Looking forward to buying some resale there later on, having cemented my 11 month reservation priority. I too, think it will be a great place to be after it is completed and the Skyliner is up and running.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I also bought a 50 point add-on. I think the minimum for new buyers is 100 points, but it may be more. Riviera is expensive point-wise though. Looking forward to buying some resale there later on, having cemented my 11 month reservation priority. I too, think it will be a great place to be after it is completed and the Skyliner is up and running.
What does 50 points get you? Would never go for a full week. Not a DVC member, I’d most like do 3-4 nights Disney then stay at a universal property 2 nights at most. Or maybe a few last min long weekend trips.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
What does 50 points get you? Would never go for a full week. Not a DVC member, I’d most like do 3-4 nights Disney then stay at a universal property 2 nights at most. Or maybe a few last min long weekend trips.
There is a nifty 3rd party "point calculator" at David's Vacation Rentals: https://www.dvcrequest.com/cost-calculator.asp
Play with some dates and select [Show Point Amount] to see how many points are required by resort and room type. Have fun!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

50 points gets you 150 points banked and borrowed with 11 month booking advantage. In low season, when I like to travel (no kids) you get a week+ in a studio or 5 week nights in a 1 bedroom. I tend to do split stays with VGF or AK so it might be more than I need for a 1:3 year stay. I can also supplement this at 7 months with my many other points to add on 2 days or go in a different season.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
50 points gets you 150 points banked and borrowed with 11 month booking advantage. In low season, when I like to travel (no kids) you get a week+ in a studio or 5 week nights in a 1 bedroom. I tend to do split stays with VGF or AK so it might be more than I need for a 1:3 year stay. I can also supplement this at 7 months with my many other points to add on 2 days or go in a different season.
Where do you own in Vistana? Guess I’m just trying to figure out where I should start if I picked up a DVC. I read about resale not being able to go into legacy resorts? Guess I need to do more digging on the restrictions. Wouldn’t need any other resorts like Aulani since I own Vistana and can go to Westin in Maui.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own at WKOVRN and Princeville.

Animal Kingdom is my favorite DVC resort, followed by Aulani. Ironically, Most of my DVC points at the VGF, VGC and Aulani. Just 40 at AK because everyone told me it was too far away from MK and this is exactly why I love AK. I should listen to my heart sometimes and not to TUG and sales people.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are only 5 manadatory resorts in Vistana so I recommend starting there

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I’d most like do 3-4 nights Disney then stay at a universal property 2 nights at most. Or maybe a few last min long weekend trips.
Lol. I do love food and wine festival lol
If you would rarely plan a Disney stay more than 7 months out anyway, consider the home resort advantage negligible. The annual dues per point will matter more for members who don't plan well in advance.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you would rarely plan a Disney stay more than 7 months out anyway, consider the home resort advantage negligible. The annual dues per point will matter more for members who don't plan well in advance.

So if I don’t plan far enough in advance what does that mean? Will I be able to book other resorts if I buy resale? Should I just stick with buying a Vistana property?

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
CPNY, it depends on when you travel, whether you plan far enough ahead, and whether you care which DVC resort you get. Food & Wine Festival is popular with DVCers so those who have points at the Epcot area resorts book their home resorts early and you'd need to book early as well in order to stay at your home resort. But if you tend to plan fewer than 7 months ahead for holiday weekends and the most popular times/events/resorts, you may find little or no availability at the most popular resorts by the time you look. At 7 months out, all DVC members points from all DVC home resorts may be used to reserve stays at any DVC resort, so they book fast at popular times.

Ex., trying to reserve a popular resort at a popular time, like BWV or BCV during Food & Wine, is nearly impossible at 5 months out, even if you points are based there. The home resort advantage no longer exists at 7 months out. If you don't need a home resort advantage (i.e., not planning early and don't care which DVC resort you book), then you don't need to buy points at a particular home resort. In that situation, it makes more sense to get a good deal on a resale at a DVC resort with lowest maint fees.

Offsite is far more affordable (especially the purchase price) but does not have the onsite perks. We are happy staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (offsite) for variable lengths-of-stay with our resale Wyndham points from NC & TN home resorts. Not all offsite options offer short stays with points. Not sure how easy it is to get a short stay at Vistana. If you consistently want short stays onsite, DVC is the only purchase option... or you may rent points or a room through Disney with a promo discount. We occasionally exchange into a 1BR at DVC Saratoga Springs for a week. This is not possible if your home resort is a week at Vistana nearby since there's a block on RCI exchanges into DVC from outside resorts in the same region.

Last edited:

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
To add to my new 50 pointer at Riviera, I just picked up a 67 point resale at Boardwalk. This will give me a good week during Food&Wine where I can walk, float, or ride into Epcot.

For those worried about having too many DVC points, remember they are the easiest thing in the world to rent out and usually cover your maintenance costs plus a bit more. Usually around $13 a point.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score

Like I said earlier, Riviera is kind of expensive, so 50 points will only get you 3 or 4 nights in a Studio except in the highest seasons.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Like I said earlier, Riviera is kind of expensive, so 50 points will only get you 3 or 4 nights in a Studio except in the highest seasons.
What about other resorts?

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
What about other resorts?

Here’s the link to an easy to use points calculator from David’s DVC Rentals. You put in your dates and villa size and can calculate the cost in points or $ to rent via David’s. It’s the easiest way for you to explore how much 50 points would get you at the various resorts. Be aware though that from September to mid-January, studios book up extremely fast so need to be booked at 11 months (some, like BWV standard view and AKL value studios, are gone in 5 minutes after the window opens).

https://www.dvcrequest.com/cost-calculator.asp

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Here’s the link to an easy to use points calculator from David’s DVC Rentals. You put in your dates and villa size and can calculate the cost in points or $ to rent via David’s. It’s the easiest way for you to explore how much 50 points would get you at the various resorts. Be aware though that from September to mid-January, studios book up extremely fast so need to be booked at 11 months (some, like BWV standard view and AKL value studios, are gone in 5 minutes after the window opens).

Wow! Sept to mid Jan? Sounds like all the retired snowbirds like their small studios lol. I know that would be my plan when I retire lol.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Thanks! By looking at it, the one or two trips I would take for less than a week it’s prob better to rent than buy in. Especially since I would split between a DVC and a Universal hotel on site.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CPNY, it depends on when you travel, whether you plan far enough ahead, and whether you care which DVC resort you get. Food & Wine Festival is popular with DVCers so those who have points at the Epcot area resorts book their home resorts early and you'd need to book early as well in order to stay at your home resort. But if you tend to plan fewer than 7 months ahead for holiday weekends and the most popular times/events/resorts, you may find little or no availability at the most popular resorts by the time you look. At 7 months out, all DVC members points from all DVC home resorts may be used to reserve stays at any DVC resort, so they book fast at popular times.

Ex., trying to reserve a popular resort at a popular time, like BWV or BCV during Food & Wine, is nearly impossible at 5 months out, even if you points are based there. The home resort advantage no longer exists at 7 months out. If you don't need a home resort advantage (i.e., not planning early and don't care which DVC resort you book), then you don't need to buy points at a particular home resort. In that situation, it makes more sense to get a good deal on a resale at a DVC resort with lowest maint fees.

Offsite is far more affordable (especially the purchase price) but does not have the onsite perks. We are happy staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (offsite) for variable lengths-of-stay with our resale Wyndham points from NC & TN home resorts. Not all offsite options offer short stays with points. Not sure how easy it is to get a short stay at Vistana. If you consistently want short stays onsite, DVC is the only purchase option... or you may rent points or a room through Disney with a promo discount. We occasionally exchange into a 1BR at DVC Saratoga Springs for a week. This is not possible if your home resort is a week at Vistana nearby since there's a block on RCI exchanges into DVC from outside resorts in the same region.

I am planning to go to Food & Wine Festival in 2020 with an Adults only travel group. I will need the small Riviera contract to reserve at 11 months and not have to stress about it. I will probably do 4-5N in a 1 BR at Riviera and 3-5N at VGF. I am owners at both.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Wow! Sept to mid Jan? Sounds like all the retired snowbirds like their small studios lol. I know that would be my plan when I retire lol.

Maybe not snowbirds who are there for a long stretch - more like DVC owners who are attracted by the lower points cost for that time of year along with F&W Festival, Halloween and Christmas parties, cooler weather, etc.!

Thanks! By looking at it, the one or two trips I would take for less than a week it’s prob better to rent than buy in. Especially since I would split between a DVC and a Universal hotel on site.

Glad to have helped!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Maybe not snowbirds who are there for a long stretch - more like DVC owners who are attracted by the lower points cost for that time of year along with F&W Festival, Halloween and Christmas parties, cooler weather, etc.!

Ohhh yeah lol. Forgot about those wonderful times of year. Love F&W.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless one can book at least 7 months out routinely, buying DVC doesn't make sense. Even then getting something, esp studios, can be a challenge any time of year nowadays. 1 BR are the easiest to reserve.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
We also added on. Two 100 point contracts...easier to sell if need be. We sold a 50 pt BoardWalk Contract (for $151/pt) and a 130 point SSR contract, which helped pay for our new points. We still have plenty of BW points and BLT points. We got a pretty good deal too....can't remember off the top of my head. Can't wait to stay there, it's going to be awesome. I won't outlive this contract, so it will be our legacy to leave to the kids.

Reaction score
We also added on. Two 100 point contracts...easier to sell if need be. We sold a 50 pt BoardWalk Contract (for $151/pt) and a 130 point SSR contract, which helped pay for our new points. We still have plenty of BW points and BLT points. We got a pretty good deal too....can't remember off the top of my head. Can't wait to stay there, it's going to be awesome. I won't outlive this contract, so it will be our legacy to leave to the kids.

Congrats and hope you enjoy the new points. Let us know your thoughts after your first stay.