• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smugglers notch

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi Again!
I contacted Smugglers Notch. We are assigned a ground level 2 bedroom in the Birches section of the East Village. I put a request from RCI for a 3 bedroom at the resort. They won’t let me know until 2 weeks before our stay. I went on Smuggs website and am impressed. Looks like a fun place to go.
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hi Again!
I contacted Smugglers Notch. We are assigned a ground level 2 bedroom in the Birches section of the East Village. I put a request from RCI for a 3 bedroom at the resort. They won’t let me know until 2 weeks before our stay. I went on Smuggs website and am impressed. Looks like a fun place to go.
Silentg

It is fun, but, again, activities do not start until like week 24. What week are you going again?

Birches are an older building- nice- I have never been inside one of those units- in the village- very convenient to walk to the restaurant and the guest desk, convenience store and shop and so forth, including the parking lot.

Birches does not have a pool or gym. So- you would have to buy a pass to use the Courtside pool and hot tubs- which are enclosed in a "bubble" offseason if you are not a Wyndham points owner.

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
Hi Terry,

I agree with Mary Ann about the location...very central...unless going off property, park your car and forget it...

How many in your party...? The reason I ask is that we used to own a ground level 2-bedroom in Birches before we converted to Wyndham points. They are nice condos (I have only stayed in Birches week 9 in winter) and ground floor will give you access to a covered deck ("covered" because you have a deck above you, too). They are good for four (4) adults or two (2) adults and two (kids), but more than that and you will begin to feel squeezed...

The Birches were built during "phase II" of timeshare development when developers thought they could make things more cramped...our 2-bedroom birches was about 750 sq. ft. but our original purchase (Villmarksauna) 2-bedroom unit was over 1250 sq.ft.

You can see sample floor plans on the Smuggs website: http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/lodging/index.php

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Oh. OK. Yeah- activities don't start yet then unfortunately. But there is lots of sightseeing for you in the area- though you will have to drive around.

If you need any suggestions for what to do in the area, just give a shout out. My second home!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks you! We are familiar with Vermont. We had a timeshare in Sugarbush Valley in early July. We loved staying there, but after 30 years we didn’t renew the lease. Was a one bedroom at Seasons at Sugarbush. We bought it when we lived in Massachusetts. Used to go every summer. Then we moved to Florida and started exchanging for other places.
Our Daughter and Son in Law stayed there at the end of our lease. So we got good use of that timeshare.
Silentg

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Since this thread touched on fees earlier, I received a letter in the mail this week about resort fees. Not very happy about this because this was NOT disclosed prior to making the reservation.
The Wyndham web page notes several activities may be enjoyed for an additional charge but there is no disclosure of mandatory fees on Wyndham's page PRIOR to making a reservation.
The welcome letter from Smugglers Notch says a $40 resort fee will be charged ... well here - take a look at the form letter attached here as a PDF:

Attachments

• Smuggs Letter.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Since this thread touched on fees earlier, I received a letter in the mail this week about resort fees. Not very happy about this because this was NOT disclosed prior to making the reservation.
The Wyndham web page notes several activities may be enjoyed for an additional charge but there is no disclosure of mandatory fees on Wyndham's page PRIOR to making a reservation.
The welcome letter from Smugglers Notch says a $40 resort fee will be charged ... well here - take a look at the form letter attached here as a PDF:

Aahhh- yes. The RFID card. Even owners have to purchase those for $5 to use the pools or ski. I’m surprised about the $40 resort fee.

Wyndham owners always had to pay for the kids camps, however. But- the Smuggs Pass used to be free for them I thought. The letter states the pass is included in the resort fee and that resort fee is a lot less than a pass would be. Still- it never ceases to amaze me how they come up with all these fees. These should be disclosed before people make an exchange.

They do have a lot of fee based activities at the resort- separate from those included in the Smuggs Pass.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Aahhh- yes. The RFID card. Even owners have to purchase those for $5 to use the pools or ski. I M surprised about the $40 resort fee.

Wyndham owners always had to pay for the kids camps, however. But- the Smuggs Pass is free for them.

Then they do have a lot of fee based activities at the resort- separate from those included in the Smuggs Pass.
I think the resort fee really is primarily for the RFID cards. If you return with cards, the fee will be waived. I think they want each guest to have one and they don't want someone only buying one or two at $5 for a larger group staying in one unit. The $40 is for a 3 BR unit. It sounds like if even one person returns with a card, the fee would be waived and then the other guest could purchase cards for $5 each.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
What building do they assign Saturday check in? Are exchangers given less favorable units? How far is Smuggs from Londonderry, NH?
As we say in New England, "You can't get there from here." Kevin is right - about 3+ hours. The miles are not relevant because there is no easy, straight way to get from Smuggs VT to Londonderry NH but most of the way will be beautiful to look at!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think the resort fee really is primarily for the RFID cards. If you return with cards, the fee will be waived. I think they want each guest to have one and they don't want someone only buying one or two at $5 for a larger group staying in one unit. The $40 is for a 3 BR unit. It sounds like if even one person returns with a card, the fee would be waived and then the other guest could purchase cards for $5 each.

I don't know about Wyndham- but the RFID cards cost $5 and are reusable over years. If you lose it, you have to pay the $5 again. The Smuggs pass or benefits package (if you are a non- Wyndham owner) is loaded onto the RFID card.

If you do not care about using the "public pools" or skiing, or the Fun Zone- you don't need a card. I didn't buy one because we have a pool at West Hill that is accessed with the room key card and we don't have little kids in terms of the other pools or the Fun Zone.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

BTW- when are you going to Smuggs?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I don't know but I would just call anyway. What building are you in? Do you know already?
I called Smugglers, we are in the Birches, ground floor. Going to stick with the 2 bedroom so we stay on ground floor. My brother and His wife will be visiting with us for a few days, so ground floor will be good. You mention a fee to use indoor pool and hot tub? Is it per person or per unit and how much?
Thanks for info.
Silentg

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Smugglers, we are in the Birches, ground floor. Going to stick with the 2 bedroom so we stay on ground floor. My brother and His wife will be visiting with us for a few days, so ground floor will be good. You mention a fee to use indoor pool and hot tub? Is it per person or per unit and how much?
Thanks for info.
Silentg

If you are booking as a Wyndham owner there is no fee, except for the RFID card one. If you are an RCI exchanger or rental guest, then the Smuggs Pass is roughly $300 per person per week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

It is a $5 Fee per RFID card, which you need to access many of the on-site amenities. If you have less than the full occupancy (say 5 people instead of 8), you might be able to talk them down on the fee to only cover your party’s exact number.

The RFID cards are reusable. I wasn’t charged again when I returned to Smuggs for the second time during this past winter.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
According the the letter that bbodb1 received, Wyndham owners pay a resort fee depending on the size of the unit they are in and the Smuggs pass is included in that fee. ( For a 2 bedroom unit it is $30). The pass is loaded onto the RFID card so you can use the pools and so forth. The letter does not state that Wyndham owners have to also pay a $5 fee for the card.

If you are not a Wyndham owner- you have to buy a Smuggs pass (and the RFID card) to use the pools because Birches does not have use of a pool. It is almost $300 for the week or $42 per day (see link below) for everyone in the unit- not per person. The Pass is not worth it imo for just 2 people- not to just use a pool and certainly if you have no kids with you. But with the 4 of you maybe so. But that, of course, is your call. You would also have to pay the $5 for each RFID card.

PS- The Birches are in the village area so you will be able to walk to the restaurants and the lobby and stores and so forth.

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/universal/smuggspass.php

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are booking as a Wyndham owner there is no fee, except for the RFID card one. If you are an RCI exchanger or rental guest, then the Smuggs Pass is roughly $300 per person per week.

That is an error - from Smuggs site for RCI exchangers: Not per person: Summer Smuggs Pass: he Summer SmuggsPass cost is $372 per home per week (plus tax) and covers everyone staying in the home up to the occupancy of the home. The SmuggsPass will be prorated for shorter stays. Purchase of the SmuggsPass must include each day of your stay.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
According the the letter that bbodb1 received, Wyndham owners pay a resort fee depending on the size of the unit they are in and the Smuggs pass is included in that fee. ( For a 2 bedroom unit it is $30). The pass is loaded onto the RFID card so you can use the pools and so forth. The letter does not state that Wyndham owners have to also pay a $5 fee for the card.

If you are not a Wyndham owner- you have to buy a Smuggs pass (and the RFID card) to use the pools because Birches does not have use of a pool. It is almost $300 for the week or $42 per day (see link below) for everyone in the unit- not per person. The Pass is not worth it imo- not to just use a pool and certainly if you have no kids with you. But that, of course, is your call. You would also have to pay the $5 for each RFID card.

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/universal/smuggspass.php

For the summer it is $372 per unit per week.

I thought it was per person since my check-in bill the last two times I’ve gone to Smuggs was pre-charged for $312 per PERSON for the Winter pass! Both times I had to let them know I was a Wyndham owner and they kindly refunded the charges.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is an error - from Smuggs site for RCI exchangers: Not per person: Summer Smuggs Pass: he Summer SmuggsPass cost is $372 per home per week (plus tax) and covers everyone staying in the home up to the occupancy of the home. The SmuggsPass will be prorated for shorter stays. Purchase of the SmuggsPass must include each day of your stay.

You beat my fix-it post by seconds.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
For the summer it is $372 per unit per week. I thought it was per person since my check-in bill the last two times I’ve gone to Smuggs was pre-charged for $312 per PERSON! Both times I had to let them know I was a Wyndham owner and they kindly refunded the charges.

Wow! No! See the link above that I provided regarding the Pass. It is per unit, not per person. Kids camps, however, are extra- not included in the Pass.

silentg will be there in the Spring, so it is less expensive for the Pass.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! No! See the link above that I provided regarding the Pass. It is per unit, not per person. Kids camps, however, are extra- not included in the Pass.

In other words, they were doubly in error!

I did like the Winter BASH badge, though, for an extra fee per badge. 50% off kids ski camps and rental gear!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
So I’m going in spring season, what kind of pass will I need for the week?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They use to not charge for a pass in the Spring and Fall because of the limited activities. It seems like now they just discount it about $100 over the summer pass prices. I wouldn't think it would be worth it at $252 plus tax for the week. They will probably make you get the rfid cards (paid through the $20-60 resort fee depending on the size of your unit) regardless.
http://www.smuggs.com/pages/spring/rci/spring-programs.php

Spring

To fully enjoy your Smugglers' Notch vacation we recommend that you purchase our Spring SmuggsPassfrom April 9 - June 14, 2018 . Each person in your party will be required to show their SmuggsPass to access the following activities and facilities, plus you'll receive great discounts on our award-winningchildren's programs, and shopping!

Unlimited use of the Ozone at the NEW FunZone 2.0 Family Fun Complex: including a 55-foot inflatable obstacle course, 18-foot giant slide, life-size Lego blocks, bouncy house, mini-golf, shuffleboard, ping-pong, and more. For more information and hours of operation.

Unlimited use of heated pool

Use of Mountain Bike trail network and skills park (weather dependent)

PLUS:
Bingo, evening family entertainment, live entertainment, volleyball, shuffleboard, Welcome Orientation on Monday, basketball, tennis, mini-golf, disc golf, and more! Please note: Some of these outdoor activities are weather dependent and may not open until mid-May.For more details on activities offered.

Discounts:10% TREASURES child care (ages 6 weeks-3 years) & Spring camp (ages 3-17 years) program rate.
15% off the purchase of non-sale items at 3 Mountain Outfitters.
All of these activities, facilities and discounts are available to your entire party during your RCI stay at Smugglers' with the purchase of a SmuggsPass. The Spring SmuggsPass cost is $42 per day (plus tax) or $252 (plus tax) for 7 nights and covers everyone staying in your vacation home up to the occupancy of the home. Purchase of the SmuggsPass must include each day of your stay.

Get the best value from your vacation at America's Family Resort by registering for these programs and discounts prior to your arrival. These programs and fees are subject to change.

*Fee based activities such as Massage sessions, Artists in the Mountains, Zip Line Canopy Tours are additional and are not covered by the SmuggsPass.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
BTW- when are you going to Smuggs?
Hello Mary Ann,

We are headed there at the end of the month and also heading to Killington as well. Looking forward to seeing a state we have never been to before!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So I’m going in spring season, what kind of pass will I need for the week?

As per the link I posted above, and Tracy's copy and paste from it, you will purchase the Smuggs Pass- only if you are NOT a Wyndham owner- (which is electronically loaded on the RFID cards for the number of people in your unit staying with you. This will allow all of you to use the "public" pools, like Courtside or Mountainside if it is opened. I don't believe the Notchville Park one will be opened yet. Courtside has hot tubs as well.

If it were just the two of you adults (no kids) I would say it wouldn't be worth it, but since you have guests- if you want to have access to a pool, or maybe play tennis, then maybe you would want to purchase it. Other than that, you really don't need it.

If you are Wyndham- than you just pay the resort fee. The Pass is included in that and they will give you the RFID card. So no biggie.

But if you are RCI exchanger, you would have to pay for the Pass.

Last edited: