• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So since rental cars have gone Balistic what is everyone doing on Kona?

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
We have a small SUV booked through Costco for the last week of March in Kona.
$400/7days.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the Hyundai Santa Fe falls into the standard SUV class. If I rented a full size SUV I’d be expecting a Tahoe/Navigator...

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I searched for months for the cheapest car, any size, in Kauai for last month, and ended up paying just over $700 for 13 days. I kept rebooking (on Costco Travel) as prices went down, and the cheapest car ended up being a full-size SUV about a week out (I can't believe a Hyundai Santa Fe is considered a full-size SUV?).

I must be getting old. Rental car prices seem crazy high to me these days - often due to special taxes on visitors.
It isn't, a full sized is a Tahoe or similar. Sometimes you can get an explorer as the standard sized which seats 7.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the Hyundai Santa Fe falls into the standard SUV class. If I rented a full size SUV I’d be expecting a Tahoe/Navigator...

Of course, you and Dean are right. :doh: I was thinking standard was full size, and that Santa Fe was small compared to my "standard" old Suburban workhorse on the farm!

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that this thread came up today.

I just booked and a 17 day car rental that we have in Vegas with Dollar for April 3 and now pay $512 vs $542 on reservation made in Sept.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
I have still been looking all over for car rentals for my two weeks in May for Kauai. I remembered that RickandCindy23 once mentioned RCI car rentals. I checked yesterday and they were $100 cheaper at $525 all in for an intermediate. I just checked now and it’s at $505 all in for the intermediate. So that’s a $120 less than what I have now but with RCI you have to pay it now.

I can’t decide if I should just grab this or wait a little bit. It’s $100 more than what I have been averaging for my rentals over the years. I may wait until next week, Monday or Tuesday and if it’s the same I’ll grab it.

Checked out RCI and they were 200-300 cheaper for each of my 2 week minivan rentals this summer on Oahu and Maui! Thanks for the suggestion!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I just checked online for the three week Hawaii trip we will be making next Feb/Mar 2019, and was reasonably pleased to see we can book a convertible on Kauai, Maui, and Kona for a little over $500 per week on all three islands with Budget or National. That was on their own web sites. Given past rates for convertibles, that seems very attractive. Probably going to go ahead and book the cars even before we can book the flights, and then keep checking to see if there are any further price drops.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Checked out RCI and they were 200-300 cheaper for each of my 2 week minivan rentals this summer on Oahu and Maui! Thanks for the suggestion!

I’ve kept checking but they others have just gone up and the RCI rate has stayed the same. It’s been so long since I booked the reservation with Costco, I forgot my rate there and it was even higher than I remembered. It’s $665 so I’ll save over $150. I’m going to cancel and book through RCI today.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Welcome back, Greg! How are you doing?

I check Kayak, RCI, SFX, Costco Travel, Discount Hawaii, Chase through the Ultimate Rewards Portal, and even AAA. I sometimes feel pretty overwhelmed with the prices on Maui. Our trip for late August-early September, usually a slow time for Maui, the car rental is coming in at $50 per day. I am not inclined to book anything now that must be prepaid and is non-refundable.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Welcome back, Greg! How are you doing?

I check Kayak, RCI, SFX, Costco Travel, Discount Hawaii, Chase through the Ultimate Rewards Portal, and even AAA. I sometimes feel pretty overwhelmed with the prices on Maui. Our trip for late August-early September, usually a slow time for Maui, the car rental is coming in at $50 per day. I am not inclined to book anything now that must be prepaid and is non-refundable.

$50/day seems like an excellent price for Maui. We’re paying more than that for a midsize for 10 days in Phoenix this upcoming May.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
$50/day seems like an excellent price for Maui. We’re paying more than that for a midsize for 10 days in Phoenix this upcoming May.
I was able to get $359 total with taxes and fees for two weeks for October last year. So $50 per day in comparison seems excessive to me, but maybe this is the new normal for Hawaii car rentals, adding to our already expensive Maui trips.

Fortunately, I was able to get cheap exchanges for this next trip, so it's not as expensive as booking our home resort, and we get oceanfront, too, guaranteed with the unit type we booked through exchange, so that is a great benefit.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I was able to get $359 total with taxes and fees for two weeks for October last year. So $50 per day in comparison seems excessive to me, but maybe this is the new normal for Hawaii car rentals, adding to our already expensive Maui trips.

Fortunately, I was able to get cheap exchanges for this next trip, so it's not as expensive as booking our home resort, and we get oceanfront, too, guaranteed with the unit type we booked through exchange, so that is a great benefit.

Car rentals everywhere seem to have become more expensive in the last couple of years. I've never been a big fan of the pre-paid rates, so usually just book the best flexible rate we can find. That way, if something comes up cheaper, I can cancel and re-book. That doesn't happen often, but I still prefer the flexibility of paying at the time of rental. In Hawaii we also prefer convertibles, so that makes it even tougher to find cheap.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

You are used to getting the same prices as I have in the past so it seems like they have gone up. I did book with RCI for Kauai, $505 for two weeks. I’m alright with it. At least flights have been cheaper too but this is a free mileage flight so I can’t complain too much.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have been watching prices (Costco Travel) for our two HI trips this year (LIH and OGG) and they are really high - some absurdly so.

Luckily I reserved a while ago at lower prices, but these prices are still much higher than in years past.

I wonder what is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been watching prices (Costco Travel) for our two HI trips this year (LIH and OGG) and they are really high - some absurdly so.

Luckily I reserved a while ago at lower prices, but these prices are still much higher than in years past.

Yeo, luckily I reserved early also and kept checkin but they kept rising. I ended out saving another $150 booking through RCI today. Higher than usual but not terribly bad. But we have been noticing the same as you.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Back in Oct 2017, I reserved 3 Wks Kauai for this July thru Costco for $1150 for a full size. I also have a standard SUV reserved for $1225. Today thru Costco the price is $1900 and $2000, respectively

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2

I'm guessing it's supply and demand. Demand is rising and supply is not, just prices!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm guessing it's supply and demand. Demand is rising and supply is not, just prices!

Did the airlines suddenly add lots of additional flights to increase tourist demand? Somehow I don’t think so...so where is this increased demand originating from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
More resorts mean more people. Maybe not more flights, just fuller flights. But I know the Canadian airlines have increased flights to the islands this year.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
The economy is booming and people are spending and going on vacation again.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The economy is booming and people are spending and going on vacation again.

Yes, and that is a good point to remember when thinking about paying in full well in advance to save a few bucks on a car rental vs. reserving a more expensive reservation that can be cancelled later if prices drop. We appear to be very near the apex of the economic cycle. With interest rates on the rise, the sudden return of volatility in the stock market, and the increasing likelihood of some sort of an international trade war, my feeling is the economy may look very different 10-12 months from now than it does today. Maybe not a full-blown recession quite yet, but I do think the downside risks for the next year far outweigh the remaining upside opportunities. If things do start to slow down later this year as I expect, those high rental car rates may get a bit cheaper as we get closer to 2019.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 I agree about the economy. Still have always been ahead with Autoslash/priceline - never had good luck with Costco. We have a rental for an upcoming weekend (Friday eve. to Sunday) in San Diego for $19 all in with Alamo.

Also as prices rise, it might be more economical to Uber or Limo to/from the airport and only rent for the day you really need the car. We do this frequently on Oahu because parking at HHV is more expensive than the car.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Quite glad I reserved cars for Oahu and Maui last October. My 9 day Maui minivan rental (5 people + luggage) has gone from $520 to almost $1400. Three day Oahu rental has gone up too, but not that drastic.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Here is a amazing difference in price.
I have 2 cars reserved for 17 days in Kauai in June

Price for a convertible from a reservation made a couple of months ago = $941
Current price for convertible = $2649 (not a typo!!!)

Current for Intermediate SUV = $1279
My price = $919

For 2 weeks in Maui in Sept.
Current for convertible = $759. My price = $573
Current for Int SUV = $731. My price = $523

Must be quite a jump in supply/demand in just a couple of months...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I just saw Alaska fares for $99 each way to HI. Perhaps these fares are bringing more people to the islands, but the number of cars have remained steady thus increasing demand and prices.