TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Social Security question

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by easyrider, Jun 6, 2019.

1. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

I am sorry to hear this. I hope tomorrow will be a better day.

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  2. Snazzylass

Snazzylass Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Sedona Pines
    I did wonder from your comment if their were health issues in your family. I have friends and family who were teachers and other government jobs - yes, they are all retired. They can because their retirement comes with health insurance. And, it's not like my job paid more. Dare I say, less?
    But I doubt I could have worked a career in one of those jobs. Instead, I did meander a bit and focused on raising my kids. No regrets. I assumed at age 35 that I would need to work until I am 70. Now, it looks like I may not need to work quite that long.
    And, i have several friends who have been on disability or took early retirement due to health issues.

3. Snazzylass

Snazzylass Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Sedona Pines
    I'm really sorry to hear this. Hopefully there are some adjustments ahead which will make your work environment better.

klpca and Sugarcubesea like this.
  4. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    Simply Sucks. I am so sorry. Some bosses, I had one, thinks because of your age you won’t go anywhere and use their budget to give the others a higher raise.

Job market is good, update your resume and look for another job where you can work normal hours. Is there an internal job transfer you can do?

Once you find a new job, they will offer you more.

When I retired, what triggered it was I was pissed at my raise. I got a new supervisor who gave me the same answer you got. My sales were the highest of all his sites by lots but he always thought I should sell differently.

When I gave my notice he got nervous. I was a lady, didn’t say why just I decided to retire early. His boss, called me, and offered me lots more money, an immediate bonus, an extended vacation ( I was denied 2 weeks off together off season two months prior). My raise had to be approved by this head boss so he knew I got scewed. He begged me to stay a few months more, I gave two weeks notice. I believe I was begged because the CEO of the company liked me and my work. He was so good to me when my husband passed. I left on good terms with him and he told me if I ever need a job, even in another state I will have it.

My point, sometimes it is just time to move on. For me it made me sit down and think. I was able to retire so I did. If not I would have tried to get transfered somewhere else or try to get a job elsewhere.

I am hoping what you do gives you the opportunity to go elsewhere.

klpca, Sugarcubesea and Snazzylass like this.
  5. Panina

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    I personally have experienced some of the healthiest love ones left me sooner then those with chronic diseases. Life is what we make it. When I get up in the morning and can move, I look past my problems. Each day is a gift and I choose to live it as no one has any guarantees of tomorrow.

6. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
    Panina, thanks for the kind words...My former President was a gem and he was a great manager to report to but alas he retired with a golden parachute and he is all set for life. This new President is from Singapore and green, he was in charge of sales departments before but never a President. Our fiscal year just ended and we did not come close to making budget, yet he wants to give that department all kinds of kudos and bonus money. While the back of the house that keeps everthing going is basically screwed. We had a 2% turnover before this man took over last September. Since that time 5 people have left and all senior managers.

I'm going to dust off my resume and start networking with my old colleagues and see whats out there

Snazzylass and Panina like this.
  7. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    TravelTime, thanks... I have just decided that I'm going to pull back to working 50 hours a week and if he starts freaking out as stuff falls off the cliff, he will have to decide what truly a 1st priority

Snazzylass, TravelTime and Panina like this.
  8. Brett

Brett Guest

I'm not sure the government expects people to retire at 67 or 70 but if you mean social security as a primary retirement fund then millennials are in trouble
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/...&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Business

9. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I went into work today at 5:30am as I had 3 big tasks I needed to accomplish and at about 10:30am and old manager that I reported to years ago called to tell me he just moved companies and would love to interview me for an opening at his new company. I guess my conversation carried thought the office space even though I was in my office.

About an hour after the call my new President comes into my office to tell me how much he appreciates all of the extra work I've been doing and how I'm a valuable member of the leadership team and he is giving me a $10K thank you bonus in addition to the regular bonus the managers are entitled to at the end of fall....I thought that was odd as we have never given a thank you bonus before...

One of my colleagues who I'm very close to asked me to go to lunch with her and she said the President heard your call that you might be interviewing elsewhere and got into a panic and came into my office and said "I can not lose her --- the bulk of what she does no one else doe or even knows how to do it" I think I need to give her a small bonus as a Thank You...

Nice to be appreciated, but sad that it took him hearing me talk to my old manager stating that I would be delighted to interview with him.

10. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

This may give you bargaining power if you decide you can stick it out in your current job.

Best of luck to you. I know it's been a stressful time.

I once had a manager re-write my evaluation after I'd been out on maternity leave. Before I left she gave me a so-so evaluation. I was just about to go out on maternity leave so I didn't argue with her about it, didn't have the energy to do so. When I returned after three months she pulled me into her cubicle and told me she had realized how much I did while I was out, and she was re-writing the evaluation to reflect that. As you said, it's nice to be recognized.

Snazzylass and Sugarcubesea like this.
  11. Panina

Resorts Owned:
    I would still interview with the new job, see what they have to offer.

The bonus you were told about is verbal? Anything in writing? I would have an honest talk with the new president and tell him how disappointed you were with your raise and how you felt unappreciated. Point blank ask him why after the fact he offered you the bonus, see if he is honest with you. Tell him a good pay raise would be in your pay check now and each year.

You need to feel out the situation carefully. They might be positioning themselves to make you stay by offering the bonus but will look for someone else, promising what they think will make you stay until they are ready to say goodbye.

That honest talks with the vp and potential new job boss will let you use you savvy and gut to figure out which job is best for you. You are smart, you have choices.

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  12. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    Patti and I worked for the same company for many years. It was where we met. For several years during the evaluation process I pointed out how I had exceeded all goals and was one of the top performers in my Division. I requested a pay adjustment to bring me on par with folks who made more simply because they had been at the company longer. These were ignored. Then Patti resigned in the middle of the night. She had been one of the top performers in her Division. A few months later I got a Special Pay Adjutment that took me to the top of the scale. I always wondered if they were afraid I would resign like Patti had.

Luanne and Sugarcubesea like this.
  13. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I’ve already got the interview scheduled with my old boss for next week. My current manager, the President did put the bonus in writing and it’s scheduled to pay out next Friday.

When I came back from lunch, the President asked if he could schedule s meeting with me on Monday and during that meeting I plan to discuss market rates for my position and why our raises were done as COLA and not merit.

I learned a long time ago to be loyal to myself and not to a company

14. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Yes!

Sugarcubesea and Tia like this.
  15. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    Good Luck at your meeting!

Richard

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  16. Panina

Resorts Owned:
    You got it!

You are in a great position to make more money.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019