TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Solo Travel - where would/have you gone?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by VegasBella, Oct 1, 2019.

1. A.Win

A.Win TUG Member

In my opinion, solo traveling is best for exercising or meeting new people.
    For exercising, you can spend hours hiking, biking, or in the gym. A mountainous area would be more fun than a flat area. I also like the idea of brisk walks at Disney parks or along the beach as it would be more interesting than the mall or the local track.
    For meeting people, there should be good nightlife. So drinking and going to bars/discos would be interesting. You can obviously meet new people at any place, but the beach makes a lot of sense to me.

2. WinniWoman

WinniWoman TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Yes. But-Only thing is Disney is not relaxing and she said she wants to chill.

3. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

My husband and I simply read over lunch, rarely having any real conversation. Not wanting to sit alone in a restaurant is more of being self conscious that others may gawk at an alone diner.

4. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    I would suspect that in my entire life I have eaten at most, 10% of my meals alone. We ate together as a family growing up, and my husband and I have continued it into adulthood. We set the table and everything. (Using cloth napkins seems to be the most surprising thing to others, followed by the fact that we do this every night). So for my brain, meal time = social time. Maybe that's why eating alone seems so unusual to me. I've never really thought about why I felt that way. Hence my habit of sitting at the bar so that I have someone to talk to during my meal. :D

Luanne likes this.
  5. linsj

linsj TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC
    It's surpising (or not) how easy it is to eat alone when you read as you eat. I never get enough time to read, so a meal out is a treat in more ways than one. I'm a raging introvert, so starting conversations with strangers is not appealing. It's also why I enjoy traveling alone, no matter where.

WinniWoman and bnoble like this.
  6. x3 skier

x3 skier TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

For the past 20 or so years, I’ve been going to London at least once a year. First with my wife and after she passed, with my siblings or female friends or just as often, solo. London being my favorite city, I always find something to do or see each trip that I’ve done before or never have seen.

Big cities are always full of new experiences but I also have traveled the same way to Mexico or other cities in Europe as a solo traveler and also with a companion. Usually, the Mexico trip is after the ski season for a change of climate.

Wherever the OP chooses, if one has the right attitude, big city or wilderness, all can be enjoyed alone, with friends and family or in an unrelated group.

I would also suggest GET as a tour company. They have tours where some days are in a group and others on your own.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    silentg likes this.
  7. Beachclubmum

Beachclubmum Guest

Solo trips for me usually entail a trip to the beach or last year’s U2 concerts in Philadelphia. Right now I’m eyeing r/t tickets Atlanta to Paris for only $500. The idea of hopping a plane to Paris and exploring on my own for a few days sounds so enticing!

Snazzylass and Panina like this.
  8. Rolltydr

Rolltydr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    CWA
    Free2Roam likes this.
  9. geekette

geekette Guest

thanks for insight on the Eating Alone thing.

I guess I never thought anything was weird about it, and if folks gawked at me by myself at a table, I did not notice. I know that I don't stare at lone diners, maybe because it doesn't strike me as odd. Plus, I was taught not to stare at people because it's rude.

Tradition of dining together throughout life, that's one I can understand. Meal = Social doesn't compute for me, but now I get why it does for others. Setting table and using cloth napkins makes it, for me, An Event vs Every Day Dinner. I dig that it's Completely Normal for you, and I also find it to be charming.

WinniWoman, mav, klpca and 2 others like this.
  10. geekette

geekette Guest

dreaded double

11. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    Dining alone does take time to get use to, at least for me it did. When my husband passed I felt so awkward going myself to a better restaurant as rarely I saw solo diners. Then I just did it and it became easier.

At Disney, I found the waiters gave me lots of attention, I am okay eating alone now.

I see you are from by old hometown. I lived in Tottenville, New Springville and Grant City.

WinniWoman likes this.
  12. LStormont

LStormont TUG Member

I've done Costa Rica twice solo, Nicaragua, and Panama (I like traveling to Central America). I'm a woman in my 40s and have never felt unsafe. I haven't felt looked at weirdly for dining solo either.

Three days in Tortuguero (many of the hotels will pick up/drop off in San Jose) is a very nice relaxing time.

Snazzylass likes this.
  13. lprstn

lprstn TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Places I have enjoyed traveling solo, Hawaii (Big Island and Maui), New Zealand (South Island), Australia (Melbourne and Sydney)

14. Snazzylass

Snazzylass Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Sedona Pines
    Sedona. Seems you enjoyed it before. It's great exploring solo! Lots of hiking, relaxing. Many T/S offer some nice remote day trips.

I'm to the point now that I am very, very selective if I travel with others. I don't want anyone shortening my hikes, etc. :)

bnoble likes this.
  15. AnnaS

AnnaS TUG Member

We always had dinner at home when the whole family was present. A few different times, growing up, we had two different uncles from Italy staying with us (my parents). Each stayed a few years. My dad would get mad if my mom did not wait for my uncle to come home from work so we could all eat dinner together. Eventually, she waited.

Sunday dinners are also big with us........with grown up kids/married with children. Big tradition.

Just weird at first.

silentg and klpca like this.
  16. turkel

turkel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge
    Marriott Grand Chateau
    I am not a solo traveler and hope never to be. I went to a movie by myself once and was miserable. I know I was the only one who cared but the discomfort was real in my head.

My older sister goes solo to Palm Desert every year. My younger sister used to go on scuba diving trips solo annually as well. They are clearly more adventurous than me.

klpca likes this.
  17. Kel

Kel TUG Member

Palm Desert is a great solo vacation spot. I will go by myself if my husband, sisters or girlfriends can’t go. It’s great for the pool, working out, spa, shopping and reading. And, it is just a little over an hour drive from home. Happy travels!

klpca likes this.
  18. Timeshare Von

Timeshare Von TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
    Lifetime in Hawaii (floating 1-52 annual week)
    I've traveled for vacation many times solo . . . and find it quite relaxing and cathartic. Over the past two or so years, here's a list of the places I've gone by myself . . .

* London
    * Netherlands (about an hour north of Amsterdam)
    * Hawaii - The Big Island
    * Road trip - Yellowstone and all points in between Milwaukee and there (multiple times - at least 4)
    * Road trip - Nova Scotia and all points in between Milwaukee and there
    * Cape Coral, FL and Key West - 2 month sabbatical after being downsized out in 2000 (also a road trip)
    * Whitefish, MT via Amtrak (and back)
    * Churchill, Manitoba (with a polar bear tour group)

Dining alone has never been a problem for me since I do a lot of travel and dining for work solo, to on vacation, it's just an extension of the mental R&R that I enjoy.

Passepartout likes this.
  19. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

There's travel, and then there's going places for work. For over 30 years, I was a long-haul trucker. I did have co-drivers from time-to-time, sometimes for years, but the majority of the time it was just me, the truck, and the highways. Back and forth, mostly from one coast to the other. Dealing with whatever situations as they came up. Sometimes unpleasant. Mechanical mishaps, getting lost, flat tires, Thankfully, in over 3 million miles, I never had a single chargeable accident. Oh, there were a few suicidal birds, deer, and a bazillion bugs. There were storms. There were some amazingly beautiful sunrises and sunsets. There were customers that made you really want to do something extra for, and a few that made you wish you had never taken that load. I can honestly say that every place I ever went has something going for it. Maybe not at exactly that moment, but sometime, anyway. Eating alone was never a particularly bothersome event. Especially now since nearly all of us have our internet devices in our phones, but back 'in the day', when we got money at Western Union, and phone calls were virtually all 'Long Distance'. It got lonely at times, and those long suffering truckstop waitresses heard a lot of stories. I suppose some of 'em were even true. I don't know what any of this has to do with recreational solo travel, just a glimpse into a life of millions of people who travel solo every day.

Jim

WinniWoman and Rolltydr like this.
  20. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham PresRes, Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (4), some others.
    To relax: an oceanfront unit at The Resort on Cocoa Beach or at Wyndham resorts at Panama City Beach, Royal Vista (Pompano Beach), or Emerald Grande in Destin.

For me, time of year isn't all that important. Flip flops or a hoodie.

Rolltydr likes this.
  21. mav

mav TUG Member

London, in a heartbeat. I love London, and know my way around there better then where I live. Also Bavaria. Same thing there. It's my neighborhood

22. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
    Brewster Green (two weeks).
    I would have no problem traveling alone to London, Manhattan, Italy or within the US. I eat lunch out several days a week alone. I just put my AirPods in and listen to a book. I have my regular stops where I am recognized and service is always good, perhaps because I tip well. I would say to travel while you can, alone or otherwise.