• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

something more upscale

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased our first timeshare 30 years ago.
For many years the units were sufficient and much better than a hotel room.

However now we are looking for something more upscale and rarely think of trading the units because if we want to go somewhere there are nicer places to stay.

Perhaps it is because we are old and cranky that we feel this way.

I was wondering how many others feel this way and if it is time that Marriott started building more upscale lodging?

Thanks.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I guess it depends on what you consider upscale. Some of the recently renovated MVC resorts are very nice,but others can clearly use renovations.

It’s a cost benefit question. We have friends who own MVC who have stayed at Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton properties (vacation clubs not hotels) and have loved the upscale accommodations and amenities, but those properties are in a completely different economic strata then MVC.

On the the other hand, II has many resorts that are listed as top resorts which we haven’t tried (never ventured outside MVC properties) that might be very nice. The best thing to do is read reviews here on TUG, Trip Advisor and other sources to learn more about these resorts. If you find some nice ones, please post reviews and let us know here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of the refurbs are more upscale. I think Crystal Shores and Lakeshore are more upscale.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

However now we are looking for something more upscale and rarely think of trading the units because if we want to go somewhere there are nicer places to stay.

I was wondering how many others feel this way and if it is time that Marriott started building more upscale lodging?

Thanks.
We think many of the resorts are upscale for our tastes including Ko Olina, Waiohai, Maui, Aruba, the 3 newer resorts on HHI, Oceanwatch, Crystal Shores and GV/Lakeshore for Orlando (ones we have personal experiences with). Of those I mentioned, Lakeshore and Crystal Shores are the most upscale from a unit standpoint. Otherwise it's more Ritz and Four Seasons or a subset of upscale hotels. For us space and a kitchen is more important than most services. The timeshares that share property with hotels add some additional options.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Thanks.
Exchange into Westin or Hyatt properties to try something new. Generally I think all timeshares cater toward families, not sure how upscale you’re talking. The MVC, Westin, Hyatt properties I’ve been to, all felt upscale. They aren’t the one and only, four season, the ritz, or the rosewood, etc but they are quality products.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, try the Ritz vacation clubs. Several are part of MVCI programs.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I really love the Marriott experience and think they are all pretty upscale.

So you are talking about Vail as your home resort?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you do need to look at Ritz Carlton Vacation Club & Yacht Club.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
In 2010 we decided to go upscale and we bought Marriott and then added Vistana properties. Our timeshare portfolio journey started at the Thunderbird Resort in Sparks, NV, then to The Cliffs Club in Princeville, and then to Welk in Escondido. We sold all three of them and went upscale and haven’t looked back. As others have mentioned the newer built Marriotts and renovations are pretty upscale and the Ritz Clubs available to us take it to another level.

We enjoyed a couple of nights at the Ritz Club in Vail in June and are looking forward to the Ritz Club on St Thomas next spring.

Best regards.

Mike

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Upscale would be nicer. Personally I think the Hyatt resorts/units I have been too are nicer than the MVC properties I have been to.

I envision “upscale” when I am become “old and cranky” to mean very nice, but with a higher level of service. It could be as simple as a concierge/club lounge on site and daily service of laundry and kitchen clean (yes, deal with my dirty dishes)

But....that isn’t what timesharing is about. It’s your home away from home. Dirty dishes and laundry included.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adding a new Ritz property every other year would be incredible. I’d also like to see a cost effective way to bring Sandals resorts into the program would be great. I would personally like a fractional option in New York City, perhaps 3 weeks or more. Similar to what they did with Grand Residence in Lake Tahoe!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Whoops forgot I was in the Marriott forum!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
In 2010 we decided to go upscale and we bought Marriott and then added Vistana properties. Our timeshare portfolio journey started at the Thunderbird Resort in Sparks, NV, then to The Cliffs Club in Princeville, and then to Welk in Escondido. We sold all three of them and went upscale and haven’t looked back. As others have mentioned the newer built Marriotts and renovations are pretty upscale and the Ritz Clubs available to us take it to another level.

We enjoyed a couple of nights at the Ritz Club in Vail in June and are looking forward to the Ritz Club on St Thomas next spring.

Best regards.

Mike
Is the ritz in st tommy Open since the last storm? I really want to check that place out.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Upscale would be nicer. Personally I think the Hyatt resorts/units I have been too are nicer than the MVC properties I have been to.

I envision “upscale” when I am become “old and cranky” to mean very nice, but with a higher level of service. It could be as simple as a concierge/club lounge on site and daily service of laundry and kitchen clean (yes, deal with my dirty dishes)

But....that isn’t what timesharing is about. It’s your home away from home. Dirty dishes and laundry included.

Just looking for something more upscale...possibly larger living rooms, nicer kitchens, bedrooms, bathrooms etc....nicer furniture.
As you say --it is a home away from home.
These homes no longer feel like home.
Vail is not my home timeshare--those units besides Evergreen are horrible.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Is the ritz in st tommy Open since the last storm? I really want to check that place out.

Yes, the Ritz Club on St Thomas is open for reservations. We are staying there in April, but I am not sure when they reopened. We have heard the resort and units are very nice, but the beach is smaller than it used to be. That doesn’t concern us.

Best regards.

Mike

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes, the Ritz Club on St Thomas is open for reservations. We are staying there in April, but I am not sure when they reopened. We have heard the resort and units are very nice, but the beach is smaller than it used to be. That doesn’t concern us.

Best regards.

Mike
Thanks. I def want to check that out for a few nights then head to the Westin in St. John.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
It’s a cost benefit question. We have friends who own MVC who have stayed at Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton properties (vacation clubs not hotels) and have loved the upscale accommodations and amenities, but those properties are in a completely different economic strata then MVC.
. I agree, but think it is not MVC that needs to change, just that there is another company out there that will meet the OP’s needs, but at a cost. I don’t want to own a more luxe version inside the Marriott system with the accompanying higher MFs and not have any preference when it comes to trading for other luxe Marriott’s. If a point is a point when booking outside your home resort, I am going to have way too much competition for booking something that meets my standards.

I would gladly own Four Seasons if it weren’t for their messed up trading system. I’m not sure what premium timeshares have a good internal trading system? I do understand where the OP is coming from, I consider the TS’s a step-down from home but then again so is the rental car. I guess it comes down to what kind of experience I’m willing to pay for, and know I don’t want to sign up for a lifetime of higher MF’s. I can get my kicks through staying at some amazing hotels now and then and enjoying the more luxe and modern decor there (sadly without the square footage of a TS).

Maybe just rent some more luxe timeshares and see if you think you want to be an owner there? Sometimes a timeshare brand doesn’t fit all stages of our lives and it’s time to move on. Seems like you’ve made the most of your ownership and need something more?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree it should be a separate system. Montage would be a possibility.

Perhaps buying a wholly-owned luxury condo, renting it out and using the profits to rent other luxury condos at other locations. With this scenario, your property value will at least hold or appreciate.