• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sort of got kicked out of an owners update meeting

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
At one point during my 1 1/2 hour owners update meeting (aka sells presentation) at Hilton Hawaiian Village my mind started to wonder. If I were down on my luck and had exhausted all of my options would I rather be a timeshare sells person or a prostitute? Okay, weird thought, but in my defense it was a timeshare sells presentation. Need I say more.

So as I pondered the timeshare sells person -vs- prostitute option the guy finally started to get to his point. Since we clearly do not need anymore points we should buy another week and convert it to HHonors points annually so that when we retire we would have 200 hotel nights.

I said converting to HHonors is the worst use of club points. In 2000 60,000 points got me 6 nights at HHV. Now 60,000 gets me 1 night. And for the places and the time I want to go I can’t find a Hilton room for under 60,000. Could we see how many points it takes to stay at DC or New York Hilton hotels. He said no because we have timeshares there.

He then shows me that on Hilton.com it would cost me $2,200 a night for a 4bd/4ba at Elra in Las Vegas (we have 2 kids). And a 2 bd/2ba at the Hyatt in Park City, Utah would set me back $1,500 a night. He then makes the leap to the Hilton Garden Inn in Seville, Spain were he can stay for only 31,000 HHonors points. He claims based on his MF the room would cost him only $128.00. (side note-if he paid cash for that exact date it would cost him €55 or $65).

I told him the thought of owning 200 Hotel nights in retirement was unappealing. He said well you’re going to want to visit your kids, or kids sporting events, or graduations. I told him then I would use AirBnb and how last summer we got a lovely 3 story house in Kyoto, Japan for 7 nights $800 total.

He jumped up, grabbed his blinder and said “we’re done I have other customers.” And he left. Ah, weird.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
At one point during my 1 1/2 hour owners update meeting (aka sells presentation) at Hilton Hawaiian Village my mind started to wonder. If I were down on my luck and had exhausted all of my options would I rather be a timeshare sells person or a prostitute? Okay, weird thought, but in my defense it was a timeshare sells presentation. Need I say more.

So as I pondered the timeshare sells person -vs- prostitute option the guy finally started to get to his point. Since we clearly do not need anymore points we should buy another week and convert it to HHonors points annually so that when we retire we would have 200 hotel nights.

I said converting to HHonors is the worst use of club points. In 2000 60,000 points got me 6 nights at HHV. Now 60,000 gets me 1 night. And for the places and the time I want to go I can’t find a Hilton room for under 60,000. Could we see how many points it takes to stay at DC or New York Hilton hotels. He said no because we have timeshares there.

He then shows me that on Hilton.com it would cost me $2,200 a night for a 4bd/4ba at Elra in Las Vegas (we have 2 kids). And a 2 bd/2ba at the Hyatt in Park City, Utah would set me back $1,500 a night. He then makes the leap to the Hilton Garden Inn in Seville, Spain were he can stay for only 31,000 HHonors points. Based on his MF the room would cost him only $128.00. (side note-if he paid cash for that exact date it would cost him €55 or $65).

I told him the thought of owning 200 Hotel nights in retirement was unappealing. He said well you’re going to want to visit your kids, or kids sporting events, or graduations. I told him then I would use AirBnb and how last summer we got a lovely 3 story house in Kyoto, Japan for 7 nights $800 total.

He jumped up, grabbed his blinder and said “we’re done I have other customers.” And he left. Ah, weird.
I think he was a smart salesman. He knew you would not buy, that you were an educated timeshare owner, stopped wasting his time and moved on to find the next victim that would take the bait you didn’t.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Who's the prostitute? The sales-weasel or the mark?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Who's the prostitute? The sales-weasel or the mark?

Why does this remind me of Night Shift? ...the movie, NOT the TV series...

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you get your bribe to attend the update?

I really didn’t want to go but DH said we could give the $150 Hilton dollars to the kids to use for beach activities.

I think he was a smart salesman. He knew you would not buy, that you were an educated timeshare owner, stopped wasting his time and moved on to find the next victim that would take the bait you didn’t.

It was suppose to be a 60 minute presentation. It lasted 1 1/2 hour.

I was surprised they offered me a tour. I was banned for several years when their system started reflecting my resale weeks as well.

Last edited:

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really didn’t want to go but DH said we could give the $150 Hilton dollars to the kids to use for beach activities.

I was surprised they offered me a tour. I was banned for several years when their system started reflecting my resale weeks as well.

They probaly offered it to you because of the Grand Islander. Previously we had been banned, but whenever a new tower enter sales they allow us to attend. One time the salesman would show a video and leave his office. When it was over, he would come back and start another. He was determined to keep us there for the full 90 minutes even if he wasn't.

rgong

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do they select owners to badger for the update? 2 weeks ago we were at Kohala Suites for 5 nights followed by the Grand Waikikian for 4 nights. No mention/offer (thankfully) of an owners' update at either property. Not sure how we dodged that bullet, esp. in Hawaii. (Although maybe they already know we're resale owners?) However, as Worldmark owners, every time we've stayed at a WM property, they offer an update as soon as we check in.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
How do they select owners to badger for the update? 2 weeks ago we were at Kohala Suites for 5 nights followed by the Grand Waikikian for 4 nights. No mention/offer (thankfully) of an owners' update at either property. Not sure how we dodged that bullet, esp. in Hawaii. (Although maybe they already know we're resale owners?) However, as Worldmark owners, every time we've stayed at a WM property, they offer an update as soon as we check in.

When you checked in at Kohala did they not direct you to the concierge desk for a parking pass? That is where the pitch to attend is given. If you ask for assistance with activities they offer you the elusive holo holo discount card to attend.

When I checked in last month she looked up my hgvc account, saw I was resale and that ended the conversation on updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
When you checked in at Kohala did they not direct you to the concierge desk for a parking pass? That is where the pitch to attend is given. If you ask for assistance with activities they offer you the elusive holo holo discount card to attend.

When I checked in last month she looked up my hgvc account, saw I was resale and that ended the conversation on updates.

yup that's about the same reaction we had when we checked in a couple of years ago to our Bay Club unit. We got a pretty lukewarm welcome from the concierge. I don't think she even asked us about attending an update (not that we would have) cause she saw we were resale owners. We had to press to get some answers to questions about places to eat around the area.

One thing I like about the Starwood/Vistana concierges, is they are usually quite helpful answering questions even if you turn down attending an "owners update". Maybe other HGVC resorts are just as helpful. We haven't been to any others yet besides Kohala Suites.

rgong

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you checked in at Kohala did they not direct you to the concierge desk for a parking pass?

I was indeed directed for parking pass, but maybe I had "resale owner trailer trash" written all over me. Or maybe a summer intern was working the concierge desk. Update was never brought up. ;)

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I was indeed directed for parking pass, but maybe I had "resale owner trailer trash" written all over me. Or maybe a summer intern was working the concierge desk. Update was never brought up. ;)

All my HGVC’s are resale. I have never been invited to an owners update. I consider myself lucky if they consider me “resale owner trailer trash”. Someone else’s trash became my free timeshares.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.

AS a side note to this response, they did the same thing when we traded into Vino Bella in Napa this yr. They weren't happy with me and the helpfulness went away PDQ.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Was just at Grand Islander last week and was not offered an owners update. Have not been offered update for the past few years. Just checked out of Parc Soleil 2 days ago and desk gave me pass without asking for update. We resale owners are not worthy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have yet to attend a Hilton or WorldMark timeshare presentation. I am somewhat interested in WorldMark, just to see what they will offer for a conversion of my Presidential Villas timeshare weeks. I would love to own WorldMark developer points for the Travel Share.